Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
for Russia's War
Sep 13, 2023 6:31 AM CDT
Kim Pledges 'Unconditional Support' for Russia's War
Wednesday's meeting in Russia's Far East suggests likelihood of a weapons deal
- Kim Jong Un vowed "full and unconditional support" for Russia's "just fight" during his summit with President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday, suggesting North Korea may well supply ammunition to the "special military operation" in Ukraine. Kim made the comments after touring launch pads with Putin at...
Kim Jong Un,
Sep 13, 2023 12:32 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un, Vladimir Putin Shake Hands
North Korean leader meets with Russian president
- Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un shook hands Wednesday as they launched their highly anticipated meeting at the Vostochny cosmodrome in Russia's far east. Kim's powerful sister, Kim Yo Jong, is there too. Hours before the meeting started, Pyongyang launched two short-range ballistic...
Kim Jong Un Arrives in
Russia for Putin Meeting
Sep 12, 2023 2:31 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Arrives in Russia for Putin Meeting
Kim reportedly wants to trade munitions for aid, military tech
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un arrived in Russia on Tuesday for a meeting with President Vladimir Putin where they are expected to offer each other increased support in their escalating standoffs with the West, the AP reports. North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency said Kim boarded his...
One of Putin's
May Be Key in
Sep 11, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
One of Putin's Assassins May Be Key in Prisoner Swap
'Wall Street Journal' explores the world of jailed hit man Vadim Krasikov
- Somewhere in Germany, a Russian by the name of Vadim Krasikov is serving out his life sentence for the brazen execution of a man in a Berlin park crowded with families in 2019. As the
Wall Street Journal
reports, after Krasikov calmly shot his victim multiple times, he bicycled away,...
UK Pushing Back Hard
on This Russian 'Military Tool'
Sep 6, 2023 7:59 AM CDT
UK Pushing Back Hard on This Russian 'Military Tool'
Nation wants to deem Prigozhin-less Wagner Group a terrorist organization
- Yevgeny Prigozhin may be out of the picture , but the Wagner Group is still causing leeriness around the globe—and the United Kingdom is now set to deem it a terrorist organization. "They are terrorists, plain and simple," Home Secretary Suella Braverman said Wednesday of the Russian mercenary...
Kim Jong Un, Putin Meeting
in Russia Soon: Reports
Sep 5, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un, Putin Meeting in Russia Soon: Reports
Leaders expected to discuss weapons, sources say
- A US official said Monday that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un may travel to Russia soon to meet with President Vladimir Putin as the Kremlin tries to acquire military equipment for use in its war in Ukraine, the AP reports. The official, who was not authorized to address the...
Putin: It's a No for Me
on Ukraine Grain Deal
Sep 4, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
Putin: It's a No for Me on Ukraine Grain Deal
After Turkey talks, Russian leader says he could commit to deal 'within days' if his demands are met
- Earlier Monday, Vladimir Putin had said he was "open to negotiations" on reviving an agreement that would allow Ukraine to export grain and other commodities through Black Sea ports. Those negotiations are now apparently over, at least for now, and the answer from the Russian leader is a no,...
There's a Lot Riding on
Sep 4, 2023 6:44 AM CDT
There's a Lot Riding on Erdogan-Putin Meeting
Turkish, Russian leaders are meeting Monday in Sochi in effort to restart exports of Ukrainian grain
- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Monday sought to persuade Russian President Vladimir Putin to revive an agreement that allowed Ukraine to export grain and other commodities from three Black Sea ports despite the war with Russia. Putin in July refused to extend the agreement, reports the AP , which...
In Video, Prigozhin
Addressed Threats to His Life
Sep 1, 2023 6:01 AM CDT
In Video, Prigozhin Addressed Threats to His Life
'Everything's OK,' he said in video possibly recorded in the days before his Aug. 23 death
- Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin reportedly addressed rumors about threats to his safety days before his business jet fell from the sky. "For those who are discussing whether I am alive or not ... everything's OK," Prigozhin says in a short video released Thursday by a Telegram channel with...
Putin, Kim Jong Un
Have Swapped Letters
Aug 30, 2023 12:35 PM CDT
US Intelligence: Putin, Kim Jong Un Have Swapped Letters
Russia is believed to be seeking North Korean arms
- The White House on Wednesday said that it has new intelligence that shows Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong Un have swapped letters as Russia looks to North Korea for munitions for the Ukraine war. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby detailed the latest finding just weeks after the White House...
Prigozhin Is Quietly Buried,
With Fitting Subterfuge
Aug 29, 2023 3:10 PM CDT
Prigozhin Is Quietly Buried, With Fitting Subterfuge
Putin did not attend the secretive service in St. Petersburg
- Yevgeny Prigozhin was a buried in a private service on Tuesday, and the
notes that it was especially fitting in one respect: The burial came amid the same kind of secrecy and subterfuge in which Prigozhin traveled while alive. Hearses went to at least three cemeteries in his...
After Prigozhin's Death, Putin
Issues Wagner Force Decree
Aug 26, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
After Prigozhin's Death, Putin Issues Wagner Force Decree
Mercenaries must swear allegiance to Russian government
- All private military contractors working for Russia, including Wagner Group mercenaries, now must swear allegiance to the government under a decree signed by President Vladimir Putin. The decree, issued two days after the Wagner hierarchy apparently was killed in a plane crash, applies to anyone involved in military activities in...
Prigozhin Shrugged Off Risks:
'We Will All Go to Hell'
Aug 25, 2023 11:12 AM CDT
Prigozhin Shrugged Off Risks: 'We Will All Go to Hell'
Wagner Group leader routinely donned wigs in recent years, was accustomed to living on the run
- The Kremlin insists it had nothing to do with the death of Yevgeny Prigozhin. Much of the rest of the world isn't so sure about that. "To some, the fact that Mr. Prigozhin was able to survive for two months after staging his rebellion was more surprising than...
US Officials Believe Putin
Ordered Prigozhin Killing
Aug 25, 2023 6:04 AM CDT
US Officials Believe Putin Ordered Prigozhin Killing
Kremlin calls suggestion an 'outright lie'
- While facts around the plane crash that reportedly killed Yevgeny Prigozhin are murky, American and British officials believe the private jet was brought down by an explosion —and they are increasingly certain that the killing was ordered by Vladimir Putin, the
New York Times
reports. In a tweet Friday,...
Putin Breaks Silence
on Prigozhin Crash
Aug 24, 2023 12:22 PM CDT
Putin Breaks Silence on Prigozhin Crash
Russian leader offers his condolences, also says Wagner leader made 'serious mistakes'
- Vladimir Putin made his first public comments Thursday about mercenary leader Yevgeny Prigozhin since the latter was presumably killed in a plane crash. In something close to a eulogy, Putin praised the leader of the Wagner Group as a "talented person" but also as someone with a "complicated...
Why, Vladimir, What an Oddly
Deep Voice You Have
Aug 24, 2023 11:27 AM CDT
Why, Vladimir, What an Oddly Deep Voice You Have
His video address to BRICS forum appeared to 'bizarrely' make use of a deep-voiced alternate
- Vladimir Putin addressed a forum of leaders from Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa this week by video, and two odd things stand out from his BRICS speech. The first is the video address itself—Putin couldn't attend the forum in Johannesburg in person because he would have...
'This Is No
Aug 24, 2023 6:48 AM CDT
'This Is No Coincidence, Comrade'
Prigozhin's apparent death in plane crash widely seen as payback for Wagner mutiny
- Wagner Group chief Yevgeny Prigozhin and his deputy Dmitry Utkin are presumed dead in a Wednesday plane crash that many observers in Russia and beyond believe was no accident. The jet carrying Prigozhin, Utkin, and eight others went down northwest of Moscow two months to the day after the mercenary...
As N. Korea
Jul 28, 2023 9:08 AM CDT
As N. Korea Displays Nukes, a Message From Putin
Russian leader thanked North for its 'firm support' amid Victory Day celebrations in Pyongyang
- Pyongyang hosted quite a military parade Thursday evening, complete with tens of thousands of spectators, a display of North Korea's nuclear weaponry , and delegates from Russia and China . The event, marking the 70th anniversary of the armistice that stopped the fighting in the Korean War, also saw a special...
Facing His Biggest
Threat, Putin Couldn't Act
Jul 25, 2023 9:39 AM CDT
Facing His Biggest Threat, Putin Couldn't Act
'Washington Post' reports he seemed unable to make decisions as Yevgeny Prigozhin advanced
- Last month, the world watched the seemingly unthinkable spectacle of Wagner mercenary chief Yevgeny Prigozhin advancing to within 120 miles of Moscow before turning his tanks around. How on earth did his forces move so easily through Russian towns? As the
reports in a new assessment of the...
Putin Tells Ukraine He
Has Cluster Munitions, Too
Jul 16, 2023 5:35 PM CDT
Putin Tells Ukraine He Has Cluster Munitions, Too
US just sent a shipment to ally
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has warned Ukraine that its military is not the only one with cluster munitions. And should Ukraine use them against his nation during their war, Putin said, Russia "reserves the right to take reciprocal action." The message was delivered in a Rossiya TV interview...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
In an Unannounced Outing, Carters Attend Plains Festival
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.