Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Radio Station Abruptly Starts
Playing Same Song on a Loop
Jun 30, 2022 5:13 AM CDT
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
Soft rock station has been playing Rage Against the Machine song for almost 24 hours
- A radio station in Canada that normally plays pop and soft rock has been playing the same Rage Against the Machine song for almost 24 hours and nobody seems quite sure why. Vancouver's 104.9 KiSS-FM started playing "Killing In the Name" over and over again on Wednesday,...
Founder Says Dems
Are 'Scared' of New
Mar 7, 2022 12:58 PM CST
Founder Says Dems Are 'Scared' of New Spanish-Language Network
Conservative network Americano launches on Sirius XM Tuesday
- The founder and CEO of a new Spanish-language conservative network says Democrats are "scared" of Americano—with good reason. "Democrats took Hispanics for granted for too long, and no one thought to create a home for us in conservative media," Ivan Garcia-Hidalgo tells NBC . "There is...
He Spent a
to the Nation
Aug 12, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
He Spent a Decade Talking to the Nation
Longtime NPR journalist Neal Conan dies of brain cancer at 71
- You may not have recognized his face, but you probably knew his voice . Neal Conan, who hosted the popular NPR show
Talk of the Nation
for 11 years until its 2013 end , died Tuesday at age 71. Conan's son, Connor, revealed the longtime radio journalist died of glioblastoma, a...
Radio Host Fired for Racist
Remarks in Toast Chat
Mar 25, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Radio Host Fired for Racist Remarks in Toast Chat
Rob Lederman likened toaster settings to color of Black women's skin
- "I may get into trouble for this," Buffalo radio host Rob Lederman said Wednesday morning before likening his toaster settings to the skin color of Black women he finds attractive. He was correct. By the end of the day, the
co-host had been fired by 97...
Jul 19, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
Roger Stone Refers to Black Radio Host With Racial Slur
The Trump advisor was on the ' Mr. Mo'Kelly Show' in Los Angeles
- Roger Stone went on an LA radio show Saturday and referred to his Black host with a racial slur, NBC News reports. The moment arose when host Morris W. O'Kelly was questioning the Trump confidant about his conviction last year and the president's commutation of his sentence. "...
NPR Says Radio Ratings
Have Dived During Pandemic
Jul 16, 2020 7:55 AM CDT
NPR Says Radio Ratings Have Dived During Pandemic
Networks says COVID has accelerated changes
- With people stuck at home for months on end and hungry for news, this could have been a golden time for radio—but NPR ratings took a dive this spring as the pandemic stopped people from commuting. Ratings for most of its shows are down by around a quarter year-on-year,...
US Sues Over Titanic's Radio
Jun 10, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
US Sues Over Titanic's Radio
Feds file lawsuit to block salvage operation
- The US government will try to stop a company's planned salvage mission to retrieve the Titanic's Marconi wireless telegraph machine, arguing the expedition would break federal law and a pact with Britain to leave the iconic shipwreck undisturbed. US attorneys filed a legal challenge before a federal judge...
Rochester Radio Hosts
Fired Over Racist Remarks
Jun 3, 2020 4:40 PM CDT
Rochester Radio Hosts Fired Over Racist Remarks
DJs Kimberly Ray and Barry Beck aren't with Radio 95.1 anymore
- If it feels like deja vu all over again, it kind of is. In 2014, DJs Kimberly Ray and Barry Beck were fired from a Rochester radio station over transgender jokes they made . On Wednesday morning, the two were fired again, this time from a different Rochester station, over racist...
Radio Station Cuts Deal
to Air 'Russian Propaganda'
Jan 18, 2020 11:30 AM CST
Radio Station Cuts Deal to Air 'Russian Propaganda'
That forced RM Broadcasting to register as a foreign agent
- Kansas City radio lovers can now hear six hours of Russian state-owned media per day, the Hill reports. That's because a Florida-based company, RM Broadcasting LLC, has agreed with Radio Sputnik to broadcast its Russian media through the Alpine Broadcasting Corp, which airs on three frequencies around Kansas City...
Radio Analyst's Take on NFL
QB Earns Him Suspension
Dec 5, 2019 7:16 AM CST
Radio Analyst's Take on NFL QB Earns Him Suspension
Tim Ryan said 'dark skin' of Ravens QB Lamar Jackson helped him pull off plays in 49ers game
- If you were listening Monday morning to a radio breakdown of Sunday's game between the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens, a comment from one analyst about the Ravens quarterback may have had you wondering: Did he just say that? That was the reaction of the 49ers, who...
Classic War Dispatch
Turns Up in Basement
Oct 6, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Classic War Dispatch Turns Up in Basement
Bruce Campbell says 'it made my hair stand up'
- Most people find spiders and old boxes—but a Florida researcher stumbled on a classic D-Day radio broadcast in his basement, the Smithsonian reports. Bruce Campbell, 63, discovered what's likely the original recording of US war correspondent George Hicks coming under fire from Nazi planes on the USS
Trump Gets an
Unusual Thank You
From 3 Radio Stations
May 15, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Trump Gets an Unusual Thank You From 3 Radio Stations
Florida FM stations will air clips of his speeches every hour until the 2020 election
- Gulf Coast Media's radio stations in Bay County and Panama City Beach, Fla., got ravaged during Hurricane Michael last fall. The company's senior management really appreciates how President Trump has stepped up to the plate since; he appeared last Wednesday in Panama City Beach and promised hundreds of...
Radio Host Spent 'Intense'
27 Minutes on Call
With Suicidal Man
Dec 21, 2018 7:33 AM CST
Radio Host Spent 'Intense' 27 Minutes on Call With Suicidal Man
The UK's Iain Lee kept 'Chris' on the line while emergency services scrambled to find him
- For nearly half an hour, a British radio host kept a suicidal man on the line while rescuers tried to find him, an experience he now calls "intense and upsetting" and which has earned him praise as a "hero." Iain Lee, an ex-
I'm a Celebrity …
US Service Members May Soon
Get Phones in Their Mouths
Sep 14, 2018 12:35 PM CDT
US Service Members May Soon Get Phones in Their Mouths
Pentagon signs contract for 'Molar Mic,' a communications device clipped to users' teeth
- Our sci-fi future is here, and in this version, US service members can make and receive calls through their teeth. That's the gist of Molar Mic, a communications device detailed in a new $10 million Pentagon contract with a California company, Defense One reports.
and CNET lay...
Christie Gets an Earful
During Radio Audition
Jul 11, 2017 2:57 AM CDT
Christie Gets an Earful During Radio Audition
He slammed 'Communist' constituent
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie tried out for a new role in sports radio Monday—and got an earful from more than one person unhappy with the way he's doing his current job. Christie, who was filling in for New York radio legend Mike Francesa, was slammed by a...
Howard Stern Fans Worry About
Their 'Hero' as Show Goes Dark
May 12, 2017 8:31 AM CDT
Howard Stern Fans Worry About Their 'Hero' as Show Goes Dark
Rumors run the gamut from a fight with his wife to a sick or dead parent
- Conspiracy theories, buzzing Reddit threads , and an outpouring of concern this week over … Howard Stern taking a day off. Page Six reports that the SiriusXM radio host abruptly dropped off the airwaves this week when he unexpectedly took a "personal day" Wednesday, per the on-air message explaining his...
For 2 Years,
PSA Told How to
Hide Child Porn
May 11, 2017 9:57 AM CDT
For 2 Years, PSA Told How to Hide Child Porn
Arizona's KAVV ends announcement after threats
- An oldies country music radio station serving a rural Arizona area that aired a public service announcement for two years telling people how to hide potential evidence in child pornography cases has stopped doing so after advertisers received threats, the station's owner says. Paul Lotsof, owner of KAVV-FM in...
Foreigners Allowed to Buy
US Radio Stations for First Time
Mar 23, 2017 12:21 AM CDT
Foreigners Allowed to Buy US Radio Stations for First Time
Australian couple now owns 29 stations in 3 states
- An Australian couple now based in Alaska has bought more than two dozen radio stations in three states, marking the first time federal regulators have allowed full foreign ownership of US radio stations. The FCC recently approved a request by Richard and Sharon Burns through their company Frontier Media to...
With 66% Opposed, Norway
Starts Killing FM Radio
Jan 6, 2017 5:03 AM CST
With 66% Opposed, Norway Starts Killing FM Radio
Digital radio costs the same, can host more channels
- Norway is entering the history books with a radio-related first: The country is shutting down its FM radio network in favor of digital-only transmissions, reports the Local . The country will begin cutting its FM network on Wednesday, starting with the northern city of Bodo, before moving south. All five national...
Dec 16, 2015 5:45 PM CST
Radio Caller Confesses to 18 Murders
'The first time [I killed someone] I cried…The second time I liked it'
- Listeners in Chile got a major shock last week when a 62-year-old bus driver named Guillermo Reyes called into a popular radio program to talk about his love life and ended up confessing to at least 18 murders, the Daily Beast reports. Reyes, going by the fake name "Alberto,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
Police Link 2 More Shootings to Possible California Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.