Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ford Reverses Position
on AM Radio in Vehicles
May 23, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Ford Reverses Position on AM Radio in Vehicles
CEO Jim Farley says the company recognizes AM's importance to emergency broadcasts
- In a twist that likely has vintage tech enthusiasts cheering and EV fans scratching their heads, Ford made a U-turn on its previous decision to remove AM radio from its products. Instead, the
Detroit Free Press
reports the automaker will keep it old school—AM radio will be included in...
Radio Host Says Ethnic Slur
Wasn't What He Meant
Mar 23, 2023 1:24 PM CDT
Radio Host Says Ethnic Slur Wasn't What He Meant
WEEI's Chris Curtis disciplined after reference to ESPN's Mina Kimes, who is of Korean descent
- A radio host in Boston has apologized for an on-air joke viewed as racist, though in his defense, WEEI's Chris Curtis claims it wasn't racist but sexist. Hosts of WEEI's
The Greg Hill Show
were discussing a city proposal to ban miniature liquor bottles known as nips...
Sports Radio Host Suspended
Over 'Hurtful' Remarks
Feb 21, 2023 5:34 PM CST
Sports Radio Host Suspended Over 'Hurtful' Remarks
Boston host Tony Massarotti joked about Black people being car thieves
- Boston sports radio host Tony Massarotti has been suspended for the rest of the week over what he has described as "insensitive" remarks about Black people. On Friday, Mike Felger, Massarotti's co-host on 98.5's "Felger & Mazz" show, was broadcasting remotely from New Orleans when...
Radio Station Abruptly Starts
Playing Same Song on a Loop
Jun 30, 2022 5:13 AM CDT
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
Soft rock station has been playing Rage Against the Machine song for almost 24 hours
- A radio station in Canada that normally plays pop and soft rock has been playing the same Rage Against the Machine song for almost 24 hours and nobody seems quite sure why. Vancouver's 104.9 KiSS-FM started playing "Killing In the Name" over and over again on Wednesday,...
Founder Says Dems
Are 'Scared' of New
Mar 7, 2022 12:58 PM CST
Founder Says Dems Are 'Scared' of New Spanish-Language Network
Conservative network Americano launches on Sirius XM Tuesday
- The founder and CEO of a new Spanish-language conservative network says Democrats are "scared" of Americano—with good reason. "Democrats took Hispanics for granted for too long, and no one thought to create a home for us in conservative media," Ivan Garcia-Hidalgo tells NBC . "There is...
He Spent a
to the Nation
Aug 12, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
He Spent a Decade Talking to the Nation
Longtime NPR journalist Neal Conan dies of brain cancer at 71
- You may not have recognized his face, but you probably knew his voice . Neal Conan, who hosted the popular NPR show
Talk of the Nation
for 11 years until its 2013 end , died Tuesday at age 71. Conan's son, Connor, revealed the longtime radio journalist died of glioblastoma, a...
Radio Host Fired for Racist
Remarks in Toast Chat
Mar 25, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Radio Host Fired for Racist Remarks in Toast Chat
Rob Lederman likened toaster settings to color of Black women's skin
- "I may get into trouble for this," Buffalo radio host Rob Lederman said Wednesday morning before likening his toaster settings to the skin color of Black women he finds attractive. He was correct. By the end of the day, the
co-host had been fired by 97...
Jul 19, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
Roger Stone Refers to Black Radio Host With Racial Slur
The Trump advisor was on the ' Mr. Mo'Kelly Show' in Los Angeles
- Roger Stone went on an LA radio show Saturday and referred to his Black host with a racial slur, NBC News reports. The moment arose when host Morris W. O'Kelly was questioning the Trump confidant about his conviction last year and the president's commutation of his sentence. "...
NPR Says Radio Ratings
Have Dived During Pandemic
Jul 16, 2020 7:55 AM CDT
NPR Says Radio Ratings Have Dived During Pandemic
Networks says COVID has accelerated changes
- With people stuck at home for months on end and hungry for news, this could have been a golden time for radio—but NPR ratings took a dive this spring as the pandemic stopped people from commuting. Ratings for most of its shows are down by around a quarter year-on-year,...
US Sues Over Titanic's Radio
Jun 10, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
US Sues Over Titanic's Radio
Feds file lawsuit to block salvage operation
- The US government will try to stop a company's planned salvage mission to retrieve the Titanic's Marconi wireless telegraph machine, arguing the expedition would break federal law and a pact with Britain to leave the iconic shipwreck undisturbed. US attorneys filed a legal challenge before a federal judge...
Rochester Radio Hosts
Fired Over Racist Remarks
Jun 3, 2020 4:40 PM CDT
Rochester Radio Hosts Fired Over Racist Remarks
DJs Kimberly Ray and Barry Beck aren't with Radio 95.1 anymore
- If it feels like deja vu all over again, it kind of is. In 2014, DJs Kimberly Ray and Barry Beck were fired from a Rochester radio station over transgender jokes they made . On Wednesday morning, the two were fired again, this time from a different Rochester station, over racist...
Radio Station Cuts Deal
to Air 'Russian Propaganda'
Jan 18, 2020 11:30 AM CST
Radio Station Cuts Deal to Air 'Russian Propaganda'
That forced RM Broadcasting to register as a foreign agent
- Kansas City radio lovers can now hear six hours of Russian state-owned media per day, the Hill reports. That's because a Florida-based company, RM Broadcasting LLC, has agreed with Radio Sputnik to broadcast its Russian media through the Alpine Broadcasting Corp, which airs on three frequencies around Kansas City...
Radio Analyst's Take on NFL
QB Earns Him Suspension
Dec 5, 2019 7:16 AM CST
Radio Analyst's Take on NFL QB Earns Him Suspension
Tim Ryan said 'dark skin' of Ravens QB Lamar Jackson helped him pull off plays in 49ers game
- If you were listening Monday morning to a radio breakdown of Sunday's game between the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens, a comment from one analyst about the Ravens quarterback may have had you wondering: Did he just say that? That was the reaction of the 49ers, who...
Classic War Dispatch
Turns Up in Basement
Oct 6, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Classic War Dispatch Turns Up in Basement
Bruce Campbell says 'it made my hair stand up'
- Most people find spiders and old boxes—but a Florida researcher stumbled on a classic D-Day radio broadcast in his basement, the Smithsonian reports. Bruce Campbell, 63, discovered what's likely the original recording of US war correspondent George Hicks coming under fire from Nazi planes on the USS
Trump Gets an
Unusual Thank You
From 3 Radio Stations
May 15, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Trump Gets an Unusual Thank You From 3 Radio Stations
Florida FM stations will air clips of his speeches every hour until the 2020 election
- Gulf Coast Media's radio stations in Bay County and Panama City Beach, Fla., got ravaged during Hurricane Michael last fall. The company's senior management really appreciates how President Trump has stepped up to the plate since; he appeared last Wednesday in Panama City Beach and promised hundreds of...
Radio Host Spent 'Intense'
27 Minutes on Call
With Suicidal Man
Dec 21, 2018 7:33 AM CST
Radio Host Spent 'Intense' 27 Minutes on Call With Suicidal Man
The UK's Iain Lee kept 'Chris' on the line while emergency services scrambled to find him
- For nearly half an hour, a British radio host kept a suicidal man on the line while rescuers tried to find him, an experience he now calls "intense and upsetting" and which has earned him praise as a "hero." Iain Lee, an ex-
I'm a Celebrity …
US Service Members May Soon
Get Phones in Their Mouths
Sep 14, 2018 12:35 PM CDT
US Service Members May Soon Get Phones in Their Mouths
Pentagon signs contract for 'Molar Mic,' a communications device clipped to users' teeth
- Our sci-fi future is here, and in this version, US service members can make and receive calls through their teeth. That's the gist of Molar Mic, a communications device detailed in a new $10 million Pentagon contract with a California company, Defense One reports.
and CNET lay...
Christie Gets an Earful
During Radio Audition
Jul 11, 2017 2:57 AM CDT
Christie Gets an Earful During Radio Audition
He slammed 'Communist' constituent
- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie tried out for a new role in sports radio Monday—and got an earful from more than one person unhappy with the way he's doing his current job. Christie, who was filling in for New York radio legend Mike Francesa, was slammed by a...
Howard Stern Fans Worry About
Their 'Hero' as Show Goes Dark
May 12, 2017 8:31 AM CDT
Howard Stern Fans Worry About Their 'Hero' as Show Goes Dark
Rumors run the gamut from a fight with his wife to a sick or dead parent
- Conspiracy theories, buzzing Reddit threads , and an outpouring of concern this week over … Howard Stern taking a day off. Page Six reports that the SiriusXM radio host abruptly dropped off the airwaves this week when he unexpectedly took a "personal day" Wednesday, per the on-air message explaining his...
For 2 Years,
PSA Told How to
Hide Child Porn
May 11, 2017 9:57 AM CDT
For 2 Years, PSA Told How to Hide Child Porn
Arizona's KAVV ends announcement after threats
- An oldies country music radio station serving a rural Arizona area that aired a public service announcement for two years telling people how to hide potential evidence in child pornography cases has stopped doing so after advertisers received threats, the station's owner says. Paul Lotsof, owner of KAVV-FM in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.