Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
daylight saving time
Stories 1 - 20 |
an 'Exciting New Beginning'
Mar 28, 2023 7:25 AM CDT
Greenlanders Embrace an 'Exciting New Beginning'
World's largest island opts to stick with daylight saving time for good, with no more clock moving
- Residents of Greenland moved their clocks forward this past weekend and switched to daylight saving time for the very last time. Unlike most of Europe, Greenlanders will leave their clocks untouched come autumn when daylight saving time ends. While Europe and the US debate whether to stick to the twice-yearly...
Lebanon Wakes Up
to Confusion Over Clocks
Mar 26, 2023 6:40 AM CDT
Lebanon Wakes Up to Confusion Over Clocks
Nation can't agree on when to change the clocks
- The changing of the clocks always leads to lots of grumbling in the US . But in Lebanon, the dispute has reached another level. Much of the nation set their clocks back one hour for Daylight Saving Time on Sunday, following the usual protocol of doing so on the last Sunday...
It May Not Be What
Time You Think It Is
Mar 12, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
It May Not Be What Time You Think It Is
Did you remember to spring forward?
- Standard time came to an end in most parts of the United States on Sunday. The transition to daylight saving time became official at 2am local time, meaning almost everyone lost an hour of sleep. Until daylight saving time ends in the wee hours of Nov. 5, the sun will...
Effort to End 'Stupid'
Mar 3, 2023 8:46 AM CST
Effort to End 'Stupid' Clock Changes Is Revived
Senators reintroduce legislation to make daylight saving time permanent
- "Changing time twice a year is stupid," Sen. Marco Rubio said Thursday in joining 11 other senators to reintroduce legislation to make daylight saving time permanent. The Sunshine Protection Act unanimously passed the Senate last March but stalled in the House as lawmakers determined it was not a...
It May Not Be the Time
You Think It Is
Nov 6, 2022 5:29 AM CST
It May Not Be the Time You Think It Is
Daylight saving time is over
- It's that time of year: Daylight saving time is out, standard time is in. Standard time began at 2am local time Sunday and lasts until March 12, meaning most Americans should have set their clocks back one hour overnight Saturday. The time change means darkness will arrive earlier in...
Changing Our Clocks
Takes Surprise Toll on Deer
Nov 3, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Changing Our Clocks Takes Surprise Toll on Deer
Collisions with cars spike after the November switch, new study finds
- Deer don't use clocks but they would still benefit enormously from making daylight saving time permanent, researchers say. According to a study published in the journal
, the change would prevent the road deaths of more than 36,000 deer annually, along with an average of 33 human...
Daylight Saving Bill Fades
Jul 25, 2022 7:03 PM CDT
Daylight Saving Bill Fades
House divisions on permanent switch remain, but members mostly cite more urgent priorities
- After winning Senate approval in March, legislation to make daylight saving time permanent has just been sitting in the House. Its supporters—or at least those open to the idea—said the main reason is there's a lot going on, the Hill reports. "We have so many other...
House to Slow, if Not Stop,
Daylight Saving Time Bill
Mar 21, 2022 4:21 PM CDT
House to Slow, if Not Stop, Daylight Saving Time Bill
Lawmakers say they aren't in the rush the Senate was
- Time might stand still for the legislation to make daylight saving time permanent. The bill sailed through the Senate last week, but House members are less sure about it, the Hill reports. Several lawmakers of both parties said that they'd like to see more research on the issue or...
Sign From House
on Daylight Savings
Mar 17, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
An Encouraging Sign From House on Daylight Savings
After senate passes proposal, Pelosi indicates she is on board
The good news for anyone who hates switching their clocks twice a year: Nancy Pelosi is on board with making daylight saving time permanent, and the Hill reports the proposal passed by the Senate on Tuesday is racking up bipartisan support in the House. The bad news: Pelosi hasn'...
A Day Most Americans
Do Not Like Has Arrived
Mar 13, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
A Day Most Americans Do Not Like Has Arrived
Did you remember to 'spring forward'?
- Even though winter doesn't slip away until next weekend, time has its marching orders. In the United States, it's time to “spring” forward. Daylight saving time began at 2am local time Sunday for most of the country, per the AP . Standard time hibernates until Nov. 6. It...
Hate March's 'Spring Forward'?
There's Some Promising News
Mar 10, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Hate March's 'Spring Forward'? There's Some Promising News
15 states hope to make daylight saving time permanent
- If you hate losing an hour of sleep each spring owing to daylight saving time, we have good and bad news. The bad news is that most Americans will still have to move clocks forward one hour at 2am Sunday. The good news is that "momentum for ending the...
Sleep Experts Take a Stand
on Daylight Saving Time
in case you missed it
Sep 6, 2020 6:37 AM CDT
Sleep Experts Take a Stand on Daylight Saving Time
Let's do away with it, says the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- Most Americans will turn the clocks back in November to mark the end of daylight saving time, and with that tradition comes another: all the griping from people who think it's a dumb, antiquated practice that should end. For the first time, however, a major panel of sleep experts...
Researchers Link Fatal Crashes
to Daylight Saving Time
Feb 1, 2020 8:30 AM CST
Researchers Link Fatal Crashes to Daylight Saving Time
Researchers want to stick to standard time
- Spring forward and fall back if you must, but be careful. A study released Thursday found a connection between Daylight Saving Time and an increase in fatal auto accidents. During the week or so after the spring time change, researchers determined that the risk of fatal car crashes rises about...
A Time Change: Trump Backs
Permanent Daylight Saving
Mar 11, 2019 2:21 PM CDT
A Time Change: Trump Backs Permanent Daylight Saving
Legislation in Congress calls for never falling back
- The movement to spring forward year-round gained a big supporter Monday, when President Trump tweeted : "Making Daylight Saving Time permanent is O.K. with me!" Three Republicans from Florida introduced legislation in Congress this month that would put an end the November change back to standard time, the...
Sunday Could Be
Mar 9, 2018 6:39 AM CST
Sunday Could Be Florida's Last Time Change
Lawmakers want to make Daylight Saving Time permanent
- The clocks go forward once again on Sunday—and in Florida, they don't ever want to change them back again. The "Sunshine Protection Bill, which would make Daylight Saving Time permanent in the state, passed the state Senate Tuesday with just two votes against it, CNN reports. It...
Finns Have Had It
With Daylight Saving Time
Jan 28, 2018 8:32 AM CST
Finns Have Had It With Daylight Saving Time
Finland will petition the EU to abolish it
- Finland says it will lobby for the abolition of daylight saving time within the European Union after more than 70,000 Finns signed a petition last year. Anne Berner, Finland's transportation and communications minister, said Friday on Twitter that the government's goal "would be to abandon (the...
Winter Is Coming, and
2 States Are Dreaming
of a New Time Zone
Oct 26, 2017 1:00 PM CDT
Winter Is Coming, and 2 States Are Dreaming of a New Time Zone
Massachusetts, Maine thinking about joining Puerto Rico in Atlantic time zone
- In his first winter in Massachusetts after moving from Washington, DC, Tom Emswiler's heart sank along with the sun at the unconscionably early hour of 4:11pm. "You can imagine my horror," the public health advocate tells NBC News . Now Emswiler is part of a commission studying...
New England Wants to
Dump the Clock Change
Mar 13, 2017 10:55 AM CDT
New England Wants to Dump the Clock Change
Lawmakers contemplating ditching daylight saving switch, joining Atlantic Standard Time
- New England really wants to get ahead—by one hour. The
New York Times
reports on the movement that's afoot in that region for some states to transition permanently to the Atlantic Standard Time zone, ignoring the changing of the clocks that takes place at the start and end...
Quirk of Time Creates
Very Unusual Twins
Nov 11, 2016 1:52 AM CST
Quirk of Time Creates Very Unusual Twins
Daylight Savings Time ended between them
- Samuel and Ronan Peterson are identical twins born 31 minutes apart—but they both have a case for being the older brother. The boys were delivered on Sunday, Nov. 6 in Cape Cod Hospital, with mom Emily Peterson giving birth to Samuel first, at 1:39am, AOL reports. Ronan arrived...
Texas Politician Fights to
Kill Daylight Saving Time
Mar 11, 2015 8:45 AM CDT
Texas Politician Fights to Kill Daylight Saving Time
State Rep. Dan Flynn's HB 150 will be debated today
- If Rep. Dan Flynn gets his way, Texas will be on Central Standard Time year-round. With his HB 150 , the Republican is trying to terminate Daylight Saving Time effective Sept. 1, the
reports. The bill will be debated this morning by the Texas Government Transparency and Operation Committee;...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Sheriff Stands by 'Deeply Concerning' Arrest of Reporter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.