Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Samuel A. Alito
Stories 1 - 20 |
Are on the Way
Sep 8, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
Kavanaugh: SCOTUS Ethics Changes Are on the Way
He predicts 'concrete steps' in the near future
- Public confidence in the Supreme Court is at a 50-year-low, but Justice Brett Kavanaugh says change is on the way. When asked about "perceived ethical issues" at a judicial conference Thursday, Kavanaugh said the court is "continuing to work on those issues," as Chief Justice John Robert...
Lacks Right to
Jul 29, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Alito Says Congress Lacks Right to Regulate Court
Democrats backing ethics code argue justices have always been subject to legislation
- Justice Samuel Alito has offered an unsolicited, firm opinion about efforts to impose a code of ethics on him and his colleagues. "Congress did not create the Supreme Court," Alito said. "I know this is a controversial view, but I'm willing to say it. No provision...
Supreme Court Has a New
'Most Conservative' Justice
Jul 4, 2023 2:52 PM CDT
Supreme Court Has a New 'Most Conservative' Justice
Samuel Alito overtakes Clarence Thomas in analysis
- Now that the latest Supreme Court term is in the books, Axios is out with some interesting nuggets about the ideological breakdown. Based on the Martin-Quinn Scores from political scientists Andrew Martin and Kevin Quinn, the site reports that Samuel Alito has overtaken Clarence Thomas as the court's most...
Its Role in
Jun 22, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Defends Its Role in Alito's Attack on ProPublica
Headline criticized investigation of justice before it was published
- Journalists, especially the ones at ProPublica, are wondering how the
Wall Street Journal
could have criticized an investigation into Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito's possible ethics violations before the article had been published. Two ProPublica reporters had emailed questions to Alito on Friday with a request to reply by...
Alito Hits Back
Jun 21, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Ahead of ProPublica Report, Alito Hits Back
Outlet reveals Supreme Court justice flew for free on billionaire's jet; Alito pens 'WSJ' op-ed about it
- Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito beat ProPublica to the punch Tuesday, publishing an op-ed that responded to questions about possible ethics violations before ProPublica had published its own report. But publish it did . The report describes how hedge fund billionaire Paul Singer, who brought a high-stakes case before the nation'...
Alito Says He Might Know Who
Leaker Was but Won't Tell
Apr 28, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Alito Says He Might Know Who Leaker Was but Won't Tell
It wasn't anybody on his side, justice tells interviewer
- Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito said he think he knows who leaked the draft of his majority opinion in the case that threw out Roe v. Wade, but he's not naming names because the highest court in the land can't prove it. The draft was published in Politico...
Apr 22, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Alito Issues Stunning Dissent
Justice lacks reason and judicial tone, Jennifer Rubin writes in 'Washington Post'
- The only explanation from the Supreme Court when it announced Friday that mifepristone would remain available while the issue plays out in the court system came from Justice Samuel Alito—and that was a dissent. Writing in a
column, Jennifer Rubin is among those who find the content...
Supreme Court Delays
Ruling on Abortion Pill
Apr 19, 2023 3:02 PM CDT
Supreme Court Delays Ruling on Abortion Pill
Alito extends stay on restrictions until Friday evening
- The Supreme Court has delayed its ruling on the abortion pill mifepristone, leaving the drug widely available without new restrictions until at least Friday evening. Justice Samuel Alito issued the order on Wednesday, hours before an interim stay on a lower court's ruling was due to expire, the
Nov 13, 2022 1:40 PM CST
Alito Receives Standing Ovation for Abortion Ruling
Barrett jokes about Dobbs demonstrations at her home
- Four members of the US Supreme Court attended a Federalist Society black-tie gala last week, and all received applause. But the most rapturous reaction, which included a standing ovation, was for Justice Samuel Alito's work in overturning Roe v. Wade, Politico reports. Alito didn't mention the June decision...
Take a Shot
Warren in Court?
Nov 1, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
Did Alito Take a Shot at Elizabeth Warren in Court?
Justice floats question about bogus claims to American Indian heritage
- Now that the dust has settled on hours of oral arguments Monday in two separate affirmative-action cases before the Supreme Court, a clear consensus has emerged in coverage. "The court's conservative majority signaled that it could be ready ... to end the use of race in college admissions,"...
Abortion Rights Supporters
May Wind Up Thanking Alito
Aug 4, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
Abortion Rights Supporters May Wind Up Thanking Alito
Kansas result suggests court decision could lead to a national consensus in favor of access
- The overwhelming support for abortion rights in Kansas is giving Democrats new wind in their sails ahead of the November midterms, which have looked bad for the party for a while, particularly given President Biden's approval ratings . The Kansas vote suggests strong national support for abortion rights—a focus...
Jul 29, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Alito Mocks Prince Harry Over Roe Criticism
Supreme Court justice also takes shot at Boris Johnson, other overseas critics
- Samuel Alito wrote the Supreme Court opinion that overturned Roe v. Wade, and he's not much interested in hearing what foreign critics have to say about it. In a speech on religious liberty in Rome hosted by Notre Dame Law School, Alito mocked Prince Harry and outgoing British Prime...
Roots of Alito's
Go Back to
a 1985 Memo
Jun 26, 2022 8:05 AM CDT
Roots of Alito's Roe Opinion Go Back to a 1985 Memo
He began laying out a long game as Justice Department lawyer in the Reagan administration
- Samuel Alito wrote the Supreme Court opinion that dismantled Roe v. Wade , a development seen as the culmination of a decades-long strategy he began laying out as a Justice Department lawyer in 1985. Back then, while advising the Reagan administration on how to proceed in two abortion cases, Alito wrote...
Margaret Atwood: My
Is Coming True
May 13, 2022 12:21 PM CDT
Margaret Atwood: My 'Far-Fetched' Tale Is Coming True
Author weighs in against Supreme Court draft opinion to overturn Roe v. Wade
- The author of
The Handmaid's Tale
says her dystopian story of a world in which women are forced to become pregnant and give birth is coming to life as evidenced by the Supreme Court draft opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade. In a piece at the
Move to Homes
May 8, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Demonstrations Move to Homes of Justices
Roe supporters take issue to Roberts, Kavanaugh
- Demonstrators met outside the Washington-area homes of Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh over the weekend to voice their opposition to overturning Roe v. Wade. "You don’t get to take away my bodily autonomy and get enjoy your Saturday at home," one protester said. "...
to Be Shifting
May 5, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
Alito Appears to Be Shifting Away From Roberts
Also, Supreme Court justice cancels appearance in wake of big leak
- In what may be a sign of how heated things have gotten in the wake of this week's bombshell Supreme Court leak , justice Samuel Alito has canceled an appearance. Reuters reports that Alito—author of the leaked draft opinion that would dismantle Roe v. Wade —was to appear...
Takes Issue With
the 'Sinister' Term
Oct 1, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Justice Alito Takes Issue With the 'Sinister' Term 'Shadow Docket'
Justice blasts 'shadow docket' criticism in speech at Notre Dame
- Justice Samuel Alito on Thursday lashed out at the suggestion that there's "something sneaky and dangerous" about the Supreme Court's emergency docket, through which it allowed Texas' restrictive abortion law to take effect . In a speech at the University of Notre Dame days before the start of...
Supreme Court's Interesting
New Math: 3-3-3
Jun 18, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Supreme Court's Interesting New Math: 3-3-3
The 6-3 conservative majority isn't issuing decisions quite as expected, at least so far
- When Amy Coney Barrett replaced Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court last year, it resulted in what is usually described as a 6-3 advantage for conservatives over liberals on the court. But two big decisions Thursday— one on ObamaCare and the other on a Catholic group that refuses to...
Supreme Court Move Means
J&J Owes Women $2B
Jun 1, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Supreme Court Move Means J&J Owes Women $2B
Company wanted justices to review decision over talc-based baby powder, but they declined
- The Supreme Court is leaving in place a $2 billion verdict in favor of women who say they developed ovarian cancer from using Johnson & Johnson talc products, per the AP . The justices didn't comment Tuesday in rejecting Johnson & Johnson's appeal . The company argued that it wasn'...
Gave Quite a Speech
Nov 13, 2020 10:29 AM CST
Samuel Alito Gave Quite a Speech
Supreme Court justice worries about religious freedoms, pandemic restrictions, gay marriage
- Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito gave a 30-minute speech via video to conservative lawyers with the Federalist Society on Thursday, and his comments on issues ranging from religious freedom to gay marriage to COVID restrictions were getting lots of attention on Friday. The details:
Alito stressed that he didn'
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.