Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Samuel A. Alito
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 13, 2022 1:40 PM CST
Alito Receives Standing Ovation for Abortion Ruling
Barrett jokes about Dobbs demonstrations at her home
- Four members of the US Supreme Court attended a Federalist Society black-tie gala last week, and all received applause. But the most rapturous reaction, which included a standing ovation, was for Justice Samuel Alito's work in overturning Roe v. Wade, Politico reports. Alito didn't mention the June decision...
Take a Shot
Warren in Court?
Nov 1, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
Did Alito Take a Shot at Elizabeth Warren in Court?
Justice floats question about bogus claims to American Indian heritage
- Now that the dust has settled on hours of oral arguments Monday in two separate affirmative-action cases before the Supreme Court, a clear consensus has emerged in coverage. "The court's conservative majority signaled that it could be ready ... to end the use of race in college admissions,"...
Abortion Rights Supporters
May Wind Up Thanking Alito
Aug 4, 2022 1:39 PM CDT
Abortion Rights Supporters May Wind Up Thanking Alito
Kansas result suggests court decision could lead to a national consensus in favor of access
- The overwhelming support for abortion rights in Kansas is giving Democrats new wind in their sails ahead of the November midterms, which have looked bad for the party for a while, particularly given President Biden's approval ratings . The Kansas vote suggests strong national support for abortion rights—a focus...
Jul 29, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Alito Mocks Prince Harry Over Roe Criticism
Supreme Court justice also takes shot at Boris Johnson, other overseas critics
- Samuel Alito wrote the Supreme Court opinion that overturned Roe v. Wade, and he's not much interested in hearing what foreign critics have to say about it. In a speech on religious liberty in Rome hosted by Notre Dame Law School, Alito mocked Prince Harry and outgoing British Prime...
Roots of Alito's
Go Back to
a 1985 Memo
Jun 26, 2022 8:05 AM CDT
Roots of Alito's Roe Opinion Go Back to a 1985 Memo
He began laying out a long game as Justice Department lawyer in the Reagan administration
- Samuel Alito wrote the Supreme Court opinion that dismantled Roe v. Wade , a development seen as the culmination of a decades-long strategy he began laying out as a Justice Department lawyer in 1985. Back then, while advising the Reagan administration on how to proceed in two abortion cases, Alito wrote...
Margaret Atwood: My
Is Coming True
May 13, 2022 12:21 PM CDT
Margaret Atwood: My 'Far-Fetched' Tale Is Coming True
Author weighs in against Supreme Court draft opinion to overturn Roe v. Wade
- The author of
The Handmaid's Tale
says her dystopian story of a world in which women are forced to become pregnant and give birth is coming to life as evidenced by the Supreme Court draft opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade. In a piece at the
Move to Homes
May 8, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Demonstrations Move to Homes of Justices
Roe supporters take issue to Roberts, Kavanaugh
- Demonstrators met outside the Washington-area homes of Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh over the weekend to voice their opposition to overturning Roe v. Wade. "You don’t get to take away my bodily autonomy and get enjoy your Saturday at home," one protester said. "...
to Be Shifting
May 5, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
Alito Appears to Be Shifting Away From Roberts
Also, Supreme Court justice cancels appearance in wake of big leak
- In what may be a sign of how heated things have gotten in the wake of this week's bombshell Supreme Court leak , justice Samuel Alito has canceled an appearance. Reuters reports that Alito—author of the leaked draft opinion that would dismantle Roe v. Wade —was to appear...
Takes Issue With
the 'Sinister' Term
Oct 1, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Justice Alito Takes Issue With the 'Sinister' Term 'Shadow Docket'
Justice blasts 'shadow docket' criticism in speech at Notre Dame
- Justice Samuel Alito on Thursday lashed out at the suggestion that there's "something sneaky and dangerous" about the Supreme Court's emergency docket, through which it allowed Texas' restrictive abortion law to take effect . In a speech at the University of Notre Dame days before the start of...
Supreme Court's Interesting
New Math: 3-3-3
Jun 18, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Supreme Court's Interesting New Math: 3-3-3
The 6-3 conservative majority isn't issuing decisions quite as expected, at least so far
- When Amy Coney Barrett replaced Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court last year, it resulted in what is usually described as a 6-3 advantage for conservatives over liberals on the court. But two big decisions Thursday— one on ObamaCare and the other on a Catholic group that refuses to...
Supreme Court Move Means
J&J Owes Women $2B
Jun 1, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Supreme Court Move Means J&J Owes Women $2B
Company wanted justices to review decision over talc-based baby powder, but they declined
- The Supreme Court is leaving in place a $2 billion verdict in favor of women who say they developed ovarian cancer from using Johnson & Johnson talc products, per the AP . The justices didn't comment Tuesday in rejecting Johnson & Johnson's appeal . The company argued that it wasn'...
Gave Quite a Speech
Nov 13, 2020 10:29 AM CST
Samuel Alito Gave Quite a Speech
Supreme Court justice worries about religious freedoms, pandemic restrictions, gay marriage
- Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito gave a 30-minute speech via video to conservative lawyers with the Federalist Society on Thursday, and his comments on issues ranging from religious freedom to gay marriage to COVID restrictions were getting lots of attention on Friday. The details:
Alito stressed that he didn'
After Supreme Court Order on
Pa. Ballots, a Trump Tirade
Nov 7, 2020 8:15 AM CST
After Supreme Court Order on Pa. Ballots, a Trump Tirade
Justice Alito says ballots received after Election Day must be segregated, but count continues
- As Joe Biden closes in on a win , Pennsylvania remains a key state that could put him over the top. And per a ruling from Pennsylvania's Supreme Court, ballots postmarked by Tuesday but received by 5pm Friday are allowed in the count. But on Friday, in response to a...
SCOTUS Rules for
UT in Affirmative
Jun 23, 2016 10:24 AM CDT
SCOTUS Rules for UT in Affirmative Action Case
University can consider race in limited manner in admissions process
- In a move that surprised even affirmative action advocates, the Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the University of Texas may indeed take into consideration a student's race during the admissions process, albeit in a limited manner, the
reports. The vote was 4-3, per the
New York Times
I'll Change Mind
on Court Pick
Feb 24, 2016 5:03 AM CST
McConnell: 'Not Snowball's Chance' I'll Change Mind on Court Pick
He doubles down on any potential Obama nominee
- Mitch McConnell and other top Senate Republicans insisted Tuesday afternoon that they had no intention of considering any nominee for the Supreme Court put forward by President Obama. On Tuesday evening, McConnell met behind closed doors with House conservatives anxious to know whether McConnell really meant it—and they heard...
Ruling: What the
Had to Say
Jun 26, 2015 1:26 PM CDT
Gay Marriage Ruling: What the 4 Dissenters Had to Say
Lines from John Roberts, Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito
- The Supreme Court today declared that gay couples have a right to marry anywhere in America in a 5-4 ruling. In what Politico calls a "rare occurrence," each of the four dissenters penned their own dissent. Here's what they wrote :
"If you are among
Supreme Court Unanimous
on Inmate Beard Length
Jan 20, 2015 1:41 PM CST
Supreme Court Unanimous on Inmate Beard Length
Arkansas inmate, Gregory Holt, a Muslim, can grow a half-inch beard
- The Supreme Court was unanimous today in a decision that will allow an Arkansas inmate to grow a half-inch beard. The state's rule specified that beard length must be kept to a quarter inch; Gregory Holt, a Muslim man also known as Abdul Maalik Muhammad, had sought permission to...
Alito: This Isn't
Jun 25, 2013 11:02 AM CDT
Dear Justice Alito: This Isn't Middle School
So save your eye-rolling, head-shaking and meet Dana Milbank at recess
- Samuel Alito needs to clean up his act—and his opinions have nothing to do with it. The George W. Bush appointee to the Supreme Court has a tendency to visibly ridicule his fellow justices, Dana Milbank writes in the
. His habit was on full display yesterday as...
High Court Split
in Gay Marriage
Mar 26, 2013 11:46 AM CDT
High Court Split in Gay Marriage Questioning
SCOTUSblog predicts a no-decision
- The Supreme Court has finished hearing the arguments in the Proposition 8 case, and prognosticators are busy reading the tea leaves for what it might be thinking. Here's what went down:
Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Elena Kagan, Sonia Sotomayor, and, perhaps surprisingly, John Roberts, peppered Charles Cooper, the lead attorney
2 in 3 Americans Can't Name
One Supreme Court Justice
Aug 21, 2012 4:48 PM CDT
2 in 3 Americans Can't Name One Supreme Court Justice
John Roberts is best-known at 20%
- Nine people helped determine the fate of ObamaCare this year—and most Americans can't name a single one. Two-thirds of us are unable to name a Supreme Court justice, according to legal website FindLaw.com's poll of 1,000 people. Chief Justice John Roberts was the most familiar...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
US General Tells Command to Prepare for War With China
Priscilla Presley Fights Trust Document
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.