Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Peru Opens Machu Picchu for a Single Tourist
Jesse Takayama held on to his entry ticket while stranded for seven months
- A Japanese man found himself the lone tourist exploring Machu Picchu over the weekend—a privilege granted after seven months of waiting. Jesse Takayama had arrived in Peru in March with plans to stay for only a few days while taking in the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Instead, he became...
Bottle of Sand Just Cost This Guy $1.2K
French tourist wasn't successful in bid to take home 4.4 pounds of the stuff from Sardinia
- Since 2017, taking sand home as a souvenir from the beaches of Sardinia has been illegal —but yet another visitor to the Italian island apparently didn't get that memo. Local authorities say a French tourist was busted at Cagliari Elmas Airport on Sept. 1, trying to leave with...
Uzbekistan Makes Unusual Offer to Coax Tourists
If you get COVID-19 while visiting, the country will pay you $3K
- The government of Uzbekistan is so sure of the hygiene and safety measures it's put in place to protect tourists against getting COVID-19 that "the president is prepared to put money where his mouth is." That's per a statement from the country's tourism ambassador to...
Tourist in Hawaii Arrested After Posting Selfies
NYC's Tarique Peters didn't quarantine himself for 14 days when he got to Oahu, as required
- As the Daily Beast puts it, "Hawaii is not messing around" when it comes to tourists in the age of COVID-19. A 23-year-old New York City man found that out the hard way after he flouted the state's 14-day lockdown requirement for anyone coming in from outside of...
Outcome in Georgia After Reopenings: 'Not Unpredictable'
Tourists from neighboring states are flocking there in droves, worrying researchers
- University of Maryland researchers keeping tabs on Georgia as it reopens during the pandemic say one outcome is "not an unpredictable one." The
reports that the scientists, using smartphone data that tracks user location, found that in the week after the state flung the doors back...
After Lockdown, Broke Tourists Spend 25 Days in Cave
They were stranded in northern India
- A group of backpackers whose travel plans were thrown into disarray by India's nationwide lockdown ended up living in a cave for 25 days after running out of money, police say. The four men and two women were found in a cave near the popular tourist destination of Rishikesh...
People Were Still Visiting 'Blue Lagoon,' So Cops Dyed It Black
UK needed to deter visitors to tourist hot spot amid coronavirus pandemic
- The "Blue Lagoon," a former limestone quarry in Buxton, England, has become a tourist hot spot thanks to its bright blue waters—and visitors were still flocking to it, despite the prime minister ordering UK residents to stay home amid the coronavirus pandemic. So local police took a...
Tourist Helicopter Fails to Return in Hawaii
Chopper with 7 people aboard is missing
- The Coast Guard is searching for a tourist helicopter with seven people aboard that failed to return from a Thursday flight. The alarm went up at 6pm Thursday when the helicopter—believed to have two minors, four adult passengers, and the pilot aboard—did not return as scheduled around 5:...
FBI Throws Cold Water on 'Poisoned Alcohol' Theory
Seems US tourists in the Dominican Republic died of natural causes after all
- Looks like three of the Americans found dead in the Dominican Republic in recent months died of natural causes, CNN reports. That's based on FBI toxicology tests of Nathaniel Holmes, Cynthia Day, and Miranda Schaup-Werner, whose May deaths helped trigger a scare over allegedly counterfeit or poisoned alcohol in...
UK Family 'Traumatized' After Arrest at US-Canada Border
Family of 5 detained in Pa. says they've been living a nightmare since accidentally crossing into America
- A family vacation in Canada for a UK couple and their three kids has turned into a nightmare, leaving them locked up in a Pennsylvania detention center. The
reports on the plight of David and Eileen Connors, who say they were driving near the US border close to...
Guy Takes LSD at Disneyland Paris, Has Quite the Adventure
After first falling, appropriately, into the Adventureland lake
- A Swiss tourist took LSD at Disneyland Paris, fell into a lake, then disappeared for hours before turning up naked more than a mile away. It must've been quite a trip, though the 32-year-old engineer's memory is faulty. Indeed, he couldn't recall the events of Friday evening...
Huge Airlift Planned for 600K Travelers
Debt-laden Thomas Cook is teetering on the edge
- More than 600,000 vacationers who booked through tour operator Thomas Cook were on edge Sunday, wondering if they will be able to get home, as one of the world's oldest and biggest travel companies teetered on the edge of collapse. The debt-laden company, which confirmed Friday it was...
Tourists Face Jail Over Odd Crime: Sand Theft
French couple caught taking white sand from beach in Sardinia
- A French couple who visited the Italian island of Sardinia swear they just wanted to bring home a reminder of their visit. Now they're facing possible jail time as a result, reports the Local . Their offense? Alleged sand theft. And not just a thimbleful: Authorities confiscated 90 pounds of...
Mudslides Isolate 300 Tourists in National Park
The vast Denali National Park and Preserve has only one road
- Three hundred tourists are stranded in a national park in Alaska after heavy rains triggered mudslides and caused excess water from a culvert to damage a road, the AP reports. The superintendent of Denali National Park and Preserve closed Denali Park Road to all traffic at mile 30 on Friday....
Nora Quoirin's Grandfather: View on Her Death Is 'Absurd'
He says there is just no way a girl who couldn't button her clothes could have left resort
- The Irish-French parents of a teenager found dead in the Malaysian jungle still don't believe she left her hotel room on her own. An autopsy showed Nora Quoirin, 15, died of internal bleeding likely triggered by stress and starvation roughly a week after she was discovered missing from her...
Suspect Studied the Crowd Before Museum Attack: Police
6-year-old was thrown off platform at Tate Modern
- The teenager arrested after a 6-year-old boy was thrown from a viewing platform at the Tate Modern museum in London may have spent up to two hours Sunday picking out a victim, police said. The boy, who fell about 100 feet , is in critical condition; he's expected to survive....
3 Tourists Found Dead on Alaska Glacial Lake
Calving glacier may have been a factor
- Authorities are trying to determine how three German tourists died on a glacial lake in Alaska, though foul play is not suspected. A tour guide spotted two bodies floating in Valdez Glacier Lake around around 10am Tuesday, CBS News reports, and when they were recovered about four hours later a...
Schumer: ATF Should Probe Dominican Republic Deaths
'We still have a whole lot of questions and very few answers'
- The Senate's top Democrat said Sunday that the US government should step up efforts to investigate the deaths of at least eight Americans in the Dominican Republic this year. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives should lend support to the FBI and local law enforcement, said Sen....
Long Island Man Is Latest to Die in Dominican Republic
Brother finds death 'very suspicious'
- A 56-year-old man from Long Island has become the latest American tourist to die in the Dominican Republic—and while officials insist the recent spate of deaths in the country is not unusual, relatives of Vittorio Caruso say they are suspicious. Caruso died June 17 after experiencing respiratory distress and...
FBI Probes Samples From One Minibar in Dominican Republic
Some say the death rate isn't statistically significant
- The FBI is testing samples taken from at least one minibar at the Bahia Principe Hotel in Dominican Republic's La Romana, where three US tourists died in the span of five days last month. The agency is also assisting with toxicology tests on those tourists—41-year-old Miranda Schaup-Werner of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Morning of Family Trip, Cops Tell Wife of Hubby's Murder Plot
With One Week to Go, Here's What the Polls Say
Jim Carrey as Joe Biden on SNL Isn't Going Over Well
10 Best Horror Movies in History
COVID Antibodies Are 'Rapidly' Waning
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.