Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Chinese Censors Change
Aug 22, 2022 2:54 PM CDT
Chinese Censors Change Ending of
Addendum tells audience supervillain was caught and went to prison for 20 years
This story contains spoilers for Minions: The Rise of Gru
. At the end of
Minions: The Rise of Gru
, future supervillain Gru and his mentor Wild Knuckles drive off, with Knuckles having faked his death to avoid capture by the Anti-Villain League. Censors in China decided not...
Tommy Lee's IG Posts Have
Everyone Doing a Double Take
Aug 12, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Tommy Lee's IG Posts Have Everyone Doing a Double Take
Motley Crue drummer's full-frontal pic fires up debate over why it was able to stay on platform for so long
- If you missed Tommy Lee's full-frontal display on social media earlier this week, no worries—he's now sharing a painting of the photo instead. Meanwhile, some are wondering why Lee's original nude pic was able to stay up online for as long as it did in the...
in case you missed it
Mar 27, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
China Isn't Happy With Keanu Reeves
Nation yanks bulk of actor's movies from streaming platforms after he did benefit concert for Tibet House
- Earlier this month, Keanu Reeves participated in an online benefit concert held by Tibet House, a nonprofit based in New York that's tied to the Dalai Lama. Now, the 57-year-old Canadian actor is seeing the repercussions, with the
Los Angeles Times
reporting that China's major streaming platforms yanked...
Russian State TV Producer
on Air: 'They Are Lying to You'
Mar 15, 2022 8:41 AM CDT
Russian State TV Producer on Air: 'They Are Lying to You'
Marina Ovsyannikova urged Russians to 'take to the streets' to protest war before her arrest
- An employee of Russia's state TV Channel One interrupted a live broadcast of its flagship evening news program Monday to denounce government "propaganda" and shout anti-war slogans. The protester entered the frame as anchor Ekaterina Andreeva reported on Russian efforts to combat sanctions. OVD-Info, a human rights group...
Starting Monday, No
More Instagram in Russia
Mar 12, 2022 8:15 AM CST
Starting Monday, No More Instagram in Russia
After same move on FB, nation bans social media site due to 'calls for violence' against Russians
- Earlier this month, Russia blocked access to Facebook. Now citizens are about to lose access to Instagram, a widening of the net that's "squeezing the free flow of information online for Russians," per NPR . Insider reports that Roskomnadzor, Russia's media overseer, announced Thursday that starting Monday,...
Ross' Wife Is Gay? China's
Censors Won't Hear of It
Feb 14, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Ross' Wife Is Gay? China's Censors Won't Hear of It
Fans of 'Friends' cry foul after detail is cut from episode
- China's censors are back in the news , this time over an episode of
. When Ross explains to his parents that his wife has left him, the part in which he explains why—she's lesbian and has found a female partner—was cut from a recently aired rerun,...
is Restored in China
Feb 7, 2022 1:00 PM CST
is Restored in China
It had been replaced with text saying authorities foiled plan
: The original ending of
has been restored on a streaming service in China after an outcry over what appeared to be extremely heavy-handed censorship. On Tencent Video, a scene in which skyscrapers containing credit card records are blown up is back, CNN reports. It had been replaced...
Dec 8, 2021 4:20 PM CST
Texas District Yanks 400 Books
Legislator sent a list of 800 titles to review
- A letter from a legislator has prompted one of the largest school districts in Texas to look for "obscene or vulgar material" in more than 400 library books. While they're being reviewed, the books will no longer be on library shelves, NBC reports. Republican state Rep. Matt Krause,...
Did a Number
in case you missed it
Dec 4, 2021 7:00 AM CST
China, or Disney, Did a Number on Homer
'Simpsons' is now streaming in Hong Kong, but one episode is missing
- When Disney+ debuted in Hong Kong earlier this month, viewers were able to stream 32 seasons of the
all 32 seasons. As it turns out, one particular episode is missing, and it just happens to ridicule China. Coverage:
The missing episode, which originally aired in
Serena Williams: 'We Must
Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
Nov 19, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Serena Williams: 'We Must Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
WTA chairman weighs pulling organization out of China
- US tennis legend Serena Williams has joined the chorus of calls demanding to know #WhereIsPengShuai. "This must be investigated and we must not stay silent," Williams tweeted Thursday, adding she was "devastated and shocked" by the situation with the Chinese tennis player. "I hope she is...
Be a Haven
for Free Speech
Nov 10, 2021 7:30 PM CST
Future College Professes to Be a Haven for Free Speech
University of Austin will help students develop their views, organizers say
- The University of Austin, its founders say, will soon rise up from a Texas campus in opposition to the censorship they believe to be pervasive at American colleges. Students and faculty will be free to present unpopular perspectives, the
New York Times
reports, starting next summer with Forbidden Courses—an...
Gulf Countries Ban
Nov 5, 2021 3:58 AM CDT
Gulf Countries Ban
Censors objected to same-sex kiss
- The latest Marvel movie comes out in the US on Friday, but in Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries, the release date for
has been shifted from Nov. 11 to possibly never. Sources tell the
that Disney was not willing to make cuts demanded by censors in...
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump
Those Phones From China
Sep 22, 2021 11:33 AM CDT
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump Those Phones From China
Nation warns that devices from Huawei, others could be vulnerable to cyberattacks, censoring
- Citizens in Lithuania may want to double-check what country their smartphones were made in, as there's now a new warning out from the defense ministry telling them to dump devices manufactured in one particular country. "Our recommendation is to not buy new Chinese phones, and to get rid...
Famous Pic to
Jun 5, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Microsoft: 'Human Error' Caused Famous Pic to Vanish Online
Company denies censorship led Bing to stifle search results for Tiananmen Square's 'Tank Man'
- Friday was the 32nd anniversary of the Tiananmen Square crackdown in China, which means lots of people headed online to peruse articles and pictures of the incident that led to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of protester deaths. One photo that interested parties in several countries couldn't initially find, at least...
China Blocks the Buzzy
Feb 9, 2021 12:00 AM CST
China Blocks the Buzzy 'Clubhouse' App
Citizens were using it to discuss sensitive topics
- Chinese authorities are blocking access to Clubhouse, a social media app that allowed users in China to discuss sensitive topics with people abroad, the AP reports. The move adds Clubhouse to thousands of websites and social media apps to which the ruling Communist Party blocks access in an effort to...
Josh Hawley's 8th-Grade
Yearbook Had Telling Signature
Jan 25, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Josh Hawley's 8th-Grade Yearbook Had Telling Signature
'Josh Hawley, president 2024'
- Josh Hawley has been roundly condemned by Democrats in the wake of the Capitol riot because of his prominent role in backing former President Trump's election challenge. On Monday, however, the Missouri senator fought back in two notable ways. He scored the cover of the right-leaning
New York Post
We're Just 'Disgusted'
Jun 13, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Zuckerberg, Chan: We're Just 'Disgusted'
Facebook's founder responds to scientists
- Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan are responding to over 200 scientists who criticized Facebook —but what this means for the tech giant remains unclear, the
reports. "We take your concerns seriously and to heart," the couple wrote in a letter to scientists associated with...
Zoom Says It
at China's Request
Jun 12, 2020 4:19 AM CDT
Zoom Says It Blocked Meetings at China's Request
And suspended accounts of pro-democracy activists
- Video app company Zoom says that it blocked several meetings and suspended the accounts of three activists at the request of the Chinese government. The company released details Thursday saying that in May and early June, the Chinese government notified it about several online meetings planned to commemorate the crackdown...
Posts by the 'Ugly'
in case you missed it
Mar 22, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
TikTok Discourages Posts by the 'Ugly'
The Intercept gets a look at guidelines for moderators
- Tiktok likes to present itself as a freewheeling site where users can express their true selves. But users who are ugly, poor, have some kind of disability, or like to espouse politically dicey views might be out of luck, according to an investigation by the Intercept . The site has published...
Joke About Iran
Gets Prof Fired
Jan 10, 2020 7:21 AM CST
Joke About Iran Bombing Kardashians Gets Prof Fired
Babson College says it 'condemns any type of threatening words'
- Babson College is facing claims of censorship after firing a professor who suggested Iran respond in kind to President Trump's threat to target Iranian cultural sites . Asheen Phansey, director of sustainability at the private college in Wellesley, Mass., says he was only making a joke Tuesday when he wrote...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.