Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Did a Number
in case you missed it
Dec 4, 2021 7:00 AM CST
China, or Disney, Did a Number on Homer
'Simpsons' is now streaming in Hong Kong, but one episode is missing
- When Disney+ debuted in Hong Kong earlier this month, viewers were able to stream 32 seasons of the
all 32 seasons. As it turns out, one particular episode is missing, and it just happens to ridicule China. Coverage:
The missing episode, which originally aired in
Serena Williams: 'We Must
Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
Nov 19, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Serena Williams: 'We Must Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
WTA chairman weighs pulling organization out of China
- US tennis legend Serena Williams has joined the chorus of calls demanding to know #WhereIsPengShuai. "This must be investigated and we must not stay silent," Williams tweeted Thursday, adding she was "devastated and shocked" by the situation with the Chinese tennis player. "I hope she is...
Be a Haven
for Free Speech
Nov 10, 2021 7:30 PM CST
Future College Professes to Be a Haven for Free Speech
University of Austin will help students develop their views, organizers say
- The University of Austin, its founders say, will soon rise up from a Texas campus in opposition to the censorship they believe to be pervasive at American colleges. Students and faculty will be free to present unpopular perspectives, the
New York Times
reports, starting next summer with Forbidden Courses—an...
Gulf Countries Ban
Nov 5, 2021 3:58 AM CDT
Gulf Countries Ban
Censors objected to same-sex kiss
- The latest Marvel movie comes out in the US on Friday, but in Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries, the release date for
has been shifted from Nov. 11 to possibly never. Sources tell the
that Disney was not willing to make cuts demanded by censors in...
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump
Those Phones From China
Sep 22, 2021 11:33 AM CDT
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump Those Phones From China
Nation warns that devices from Huawei, others could be vulnerable to cyberattacks, censoring
- Citizens in Lithuania may want to double-check what country their smartphones were made in, as there's now a new warning out from the defense ministry telling them to dump devices manufactured in one particular country. "Our recommendation is to not buy new Chinese phones, and to get rid...
Famous Pic to
Jun 5, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Microsoft: 'Human Error' Caused Famous Pic to Vanish Online
Company denies censorship led Bing to stifle search results for Tiananmen Square's 'Tank Man'
- Friday was the 32nd anniversary of the Tiananmen Square crackdown in China, which means lots of people headed online to peruse articles and pictures of the incident that led to hundreds, perhaps thousands, of protester deaths. One photo that interested parties in several countries couldn't initially find, at least...
China Blocks the Buzzy
Feb 9, 2021 12:00 AM CST
China Blocks the Buzzy 'Clubhouse' App
Citizens were using it to discuss sensitive topics
- Chinese authorities are blocking access to Clubhouse, a social media app that allowed users in China to discuss sensitive topics with people abroad, the AP reports. The move adds Clubhouse to thousands of websites and social media apps to which the ruling Communist Party blocks access in an effort to...
Josh Hawley's 8th-Grade
Yearbook Had Telling Signature
Jan 25, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Josh Hawley's 8th-Grade Yearbook Had Telling Signature
'Josh Hawley, president 2024'
- Josh Hawley has been roundly condemned by Democrats in the wake of the Capitol riot because of his prominent role in backing former President Trump's election challenge. On Monday, however, the Missouri senator fought back in two notable ways. He scored the cover of the right-leaning
New York Post
We're Just 'Disgusted'
Jun 13, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Zuckerberg, Chan: We're Just 'Disgusted'
Facebook's founder responds to scientists
- Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan are responding to over 200 scientists who criticized Facebook —but what this means for the tech giant remains unclear, the
reports. "We take your concerns seriously and to heart," the couple wrote in a letter to scientists associated with...
Zoom Says It
at China's Request
Jun 12, 2020 4:19 AM CDT
Zoom Says It Blocked Meetings at China's Request
And suspended accounts of pro-democracy activists
- Video app company Zoom says that it blocked several meetings and suspended the accounts of three activists at the request of the Chinese government. The company released details Thursday saying that in May and early June, the Chinese government notified it about several online meetings planned to commemorate the crackdown...
Posts by the 'Ugly'
in case you missed it
Mar 22, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
TikTok Discourages Posts by the 'Ugly'
The Intercept gets a look at guidelines for moderators
- Tiktok likes to present itself as a freewheeling site where users can express their true selves. But users who are ugly, poor, have some kind of disability, or like to espouse politically dicey views might be out of luck, according to an investigation by the Intercept . The site has published...
Joke About Iran
Gets Prof Fired
Jan 10, 2020 7:21 AM CST
Joke About Iran Bombing Kardashians Gets Prof Fired
Babson College says it 'condemns any type of threatening words'
- Babson College is facing claims of censorship after firing a professor who suggested Iran respond in kind to President Trump's threat to target Iranian cultural sites . Asheen Phansey, director of sustainability at the private college in Wellesley, Mass., says he was only making a joke Tuesday when he wrote...
He Blasted China for Treatment
of Muslims. China Reacted
Dec 16, 2019 11:45 AM CST
He Blasted China for Treatment of Muslims. China Reacted
Country yanks soccer game of Arsenal team after star player Mesut Ozil offered his take on Uighurs
- On Friday, one of the English Premier League's star players criticized China for its incarceration of Uighur ethnic-minority Muslims , and on Sunday, that player saw his team's game get yanked from Chinese broadcasts. As the weekend approached, Arsenal's Mesut Ozil, a Muslim of Turkish heritage, tweeted against...
Putin Answers Criticism
Jun 29, 2019 1:35 PM CDT
Putin Answers Criticism After
Elton John had posted a letter to Russia's leader
- Elton John is a musical genius, Vladimir Putin says, but he's mistaken about the Russian leader's attitudes on LGBTQ rights. John had criticized Putin over remarks he'd made in an interview with the
, after scenes showing gay sex and drug use were removed from John'...
Knitting Site Announces It's
Banning Support of Trump
Jun 24, 2019 7:58 AM CDT
Knitting Site Announces It's Banning Support of Trump
Ravelry bans posts, projects supporting the president, his administration
- The latest group to take a stand against President Trump comes from ... the fiber arts community. Ravelry, which BuzzFeed calls "the most popular online forum for knitting fans," has issued a ban against any and all content supporting Trump and his administration, including "forum posts, projects, patterns,...
Gay Sex Scene
Jun 11, 2019 7:16 AM CDT
Over Gay Sex Scene
Samoa censor says it 'violates laws against same-sex marriage'
- Samoa is feeling the heat from LGBT activists after it banned the Elton John biopic,
, which includes a gay sex scene. The principal censor in Samoa, where sodomy is punishable by up to seven years in prison, said the film is "not good for public viewing" and "...
Opens in China,
With a Big Difference
Mar 26, 2019 7:24 AM CDT
Opens in China, With a Big Difference
Gay scenes bit the dust
was released in China last week, but Chinese audiences saw a shorter movie than American ones: The country's censors axed references to homosexuality in the Freddie Mercury biopic, the BBC reports. The deleted scenes include the moment when Mercury, played by Rami Malek, comes out to his...
Netflix Takes Down
Comedy Show After
Jan 2, 2019 6:47 AM CST
Netflix Takes Down Comedy Show After Saudis Complain
Hasan Minhaj slammed crown prince
- Netflix is being accused of bowing to the demands of "thin-skinned Saudi royals" after making an episode of an American comedian's show unavailable in the kingdom. In the episode of Hasan Minhaj's
, the Muslim comedian strongly criticizes crown prince Mohammed bin Salman over the murder...
1.4K Google Workers
on Secret China App:
'Urgent Ethical Issues'
Aug 17, 2018 10:10 AM CDT
1.4K Google Workers on Secret China App: 'Urgent Ethical Issues'
Employees sign letter demanding to know what they're working on amid censorship hubbub
- There had already been rumblings of Google employees who'd complained or defected from the company altogether to avoid having to work on a censorship-friendly search app reportedly being made for China. Now about 1,400 employees who are still there have banded together in a more cohesive way, penning...
Mom Miffed at
'Summa --- Laude'
on Graduation Cake
in case you missed it
May 26, 2018 7:50 AM CDT
Mom Miffed at 'Summa --- Laude' on Graduation Cake
Publix's online system omitted 'cum' because it deemed the word 'profane'
- Jacob Koscinski was certainly worthy of a grand graduation cake: The 18-year-old earned a 4.79 GPA in his Christian-based home-school program and is now set to head to North Carolina's Wingate University later this year on a full scholarship. But per WCIV , when partygoers got their first glimpse...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Black Couple 'Whitewashed' Home, Saw Appraisal Jump
Generals Lied About Jan. 6, Ex-DC Guard Official Charges
Report Reveals New Details on Family Hiking Tragedy
Syria's Biggest Export May Surprise You
CEO's 'Cold' Zoom Call: 'I Come to You With Not Great News'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.