Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Author's Kids Book Flagged
for a 'Laughable' Reason
Oct 9, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
Author's Kids Book Flagged for a 'Laughable' Reason
Picture book placed on review list for Alabama library due to writer Mary-Louise Gay's last name
- Marie-Louise Gay's children's books often pop up on various recommended lists, like "books to watch for" and books that "inspire a love of reading." At one Alabama library, however, one of the award-winning Canadian author and illustrator's picture books was placed on a list...
This Photo Is Being
Censored in China
Oct 4, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
This Photo Is Being Censored in China
The runners' numbers just so happen to make 6/4, the anniversary of Tiananmen Square
- It was a congratulatory hug following a Sunday race at the Asian Games—and photos of it are being scrubbed from social media in China. Lin Yuwei took gold in the 100m hurdles; Wu Yanni embraced her. It's an innocuous enough scene, except for the race numbers they happen...
SCOTUS to Hear Case on
GOP-Backed Social Media Laws
Sep 29, 2023 9:43 AM CDT
SCOTUS to Hear Case on GOP-Backed Social Media Laws
Legislation enacted in Texas, Florida aim to prevent social media sites from censoring users
- The Supreme Court agreed Friday to decide whether state laws that seek to regulate Facebook, TikTok, X (formerly known as Twitter), and other social media platforms violate the Constitution. The justices will review laws enacted by Republican-dominated legislatures and signed by Republican governors in Florida and Texas. While the details...
'One of Most Sex-Ridden
Books Around' Returned
to School Shelves
Jun 21, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
'One of Most Sex-Ridden Books Around' Returned to School Shelves
Utah's Davis School District reverses decision
- Bibles will return to the shelves in a northern Utah school district that provoked an outcry after it banned them from middle and elementary schools last month, the AP reports. Officials from the Davis School District said at a board meeting Tuesday that the district had determined the sacred text...
May 24, 2023 12:25 PM CDT
Michelangelo Gets Censored in Scottish Subway Ad
'David' needs a crop before he can be used to hawk pizza in Glasgow
- He may be nearly universally considered a masterpiece made by one of the most widely renowned artists in history, but Michelangelo's David is definitely naked, and as such, proved a little too much for a Scottish subway system. As Hyperallergic reports, the idea was for Glasgow-based Italian restaurant Barolo...
School Library Scraps Inaugural
Poem After Parent Complaint
May 24, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
School Library Scraps Inaugural Poem After Parent Complaint
Amanda Gorman says she's 'gutted' that 'The Hill We Climb' was taken out of Fla. elementary library
- The young poet who performed her spoken-word piece at President Biden's 2021 inauguration is now at the center of the latest book-banning controversy. Citing documents from the Florida Freedom to Read Project, Politico reports that Amanda Gorman's poem "The Hill We Climb" has been removed from the...
Newspaper Gets Creative
to Inform Russians About War
May 4, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Newspaper Gets Creative to Inform Russians About War
Finnish paper hides news about Ukraine in a popular video game available to Russians
- Finland's biggest daily newspaper has found a creative way to inform Russians about the war in Ukraine, reports Reuters . Knowing that Moscow censors any news about the war, the
turned to the world of video games. The popular game "Counter-Strike" encourages users to create their own...
Winnie the Pooh
Slasher Film Pulled
From HK Cinemas
Mar 21, 2023 7:35 PM CDT
Winnie the Pooh Slasher Film Pulled From HK Cinemas
Censorship may be to blame
- Public screenings of a slasher film that features Winnie the Pooh were scrapped abruptly in Hong Kong on Tuesday, sparking discussions over increasing censorship in the city. Film distributor VII Pillars Entertainment announced on Facebook that the release of
Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey
on Thursday had been canceled...
Chinese Censors Change
Aug 22, 2022 2:54 PM CDT
Chinese Censors Change Ending of
Addendum tells audience supervillain was caught and went to prison for 20 years
This story contains spoilers for Minions: The Rise of Gru
. At the end of
Minions: The Rise of Gru
, future supervillain Gru and his mentor Wild Knuckles drive off, with Knuckles having faked his death to avoid capture by the Anti-Villain League. Censors in China decided not...
Tommy Lee's IG Posts Have
Everyone Doing a Double Take
Aug 12, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Tommy Lee's IG Posts Have Everyone Doing a Double Take
Motley Crue drummer's full-frontal pic fires up debate over why it was able to stay on platform for so long
- If you missed Tommy Lee's full-frontal display on social media earlier this week, no worries—he's now sharing a painting of the photo instead. Meanwhile, some are wondering why Lee's original nude pic was able to stay up online for as long as it did in the...
in case you missed it
Mar 27, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
China Isn't Happy With Keanu Reeves
Nation yanks bulk of actor's movies from streaming platforms after he did benefit concert for Tibet House
- Earlier this month, Keanu Reeves participated in an online benefit concert held by Tibet House, a nonprofit based in New York that's tied to the Dalai Lama. Now, the 57-year-old Canadian actor is seeing the repercussions, with the
Los Angeles Times
reporting that China's major streaming platforms yanked...
Russian State TV Producer
on Air: 'They Are Lying to You'
Mar 15, 2022 8:41 AM CDT
Russian State TV Producer on Air: 'They Are Lying to You'
Marina Ovsyannikova urged Russians to 'take to the streets' to protest war before her arrest
- An employee of Russia's state TV Channel One interrupted a live broadcast of its flagship evening news program Monday to denounce government "propaganda" and shout anti-war slogans. The protester entered the frame as anchor Ekaterina Andreeva reported on Russian efforts to combat sanctions. OVD-Info, a human rights group...
Starting Monday, No
More Instagram in Russia
Mar 12, 2022 8:15 AM CST
Starting Monday, No More Instagram in Russia
After same move on FB, nation bans social media site due to 'calls for violence' against Russians
- Earlier this month, Russia blocked access to Facebook. Now citizens are about to lose access to Instagram, a widening of the net that's "squeezing the free flow of information online for Russians," per NPR . Insider reports that Roskomnadzor, Russia's media overseer, announced Thursday that starting Monday,...
Ross' Wife Is Gay? China's
Censors Won't Hear of It
Feb 14, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Ross' Wife Is Gay? China's Censors Won't Hear of It
Fans of 'Friends' cry foul after detail is cut from episode
- China's censors are back in the news , this time over an episode of
. When Ross explains to his parents that his wife has left him, the part in which he explains why—she's lesbian and has found a female partner—was cut from a recently aired rerun,...
is Restored in China
Feb 7, 2022 1:00 PM CST
is Restored in China
It had been replaced with text saying authorities foiled plan
: The original ending of
has been restored on a streaming service in China after an outcry over what appeared to be extremely heavy-handed censorship. On Tencent Video, a scene in which skyscrapers containing credit card records are blown up is back, CNN reports. It had been replaced...
Dec 8, 2021 4:20 PM CST
Texas District Yanks 400 Books
Legislator sent a list of 800 titles to review
- A letter from a legislator has prompted one of the largest school districts in Texas to look for "obscene or vulgar material" in more than 400 library books. While they're being reviewed, the books will no longer be on library shelves, NBC reports. Republican state Rep. Matt Krause,...
Did a Number
in case you missed it
Dec 4, 2021 7:00 AM CST
China, or Disney, Did a Number on Homer
'Simpsons' is now streaming in Hong Kong, but one episode is missing
- When Disney+ debuted in Hong Kong earlier this month, viewers were able to stream 32 seasons of the
all 32 seasons. As it turns out, one particular episode is missing, and it just happens to ridicule China. Coverage:
The missing episode, which originally aired in
Serena Williams: 'We Must
Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
Nov 19, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Serena Williams: 'We Must Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
WTA chairman weighs pulling organization out of China
- US tennis legend Serena Williams has joined the chorus of calls demanding to know #WhereIsPengShuai. "This must be investigated and we must not stay silent," Williams tweeted Thursday, adding she was "devastated and shocked" by the situation with the Chinese tennis player. "I hope she is...
Be a Haven
for Free Speech
Nov 10, 2021 7:30 PM CST
Future College Professes to Be a Haven for Free Speech
University of Austin will help students develop their views, organizers say
- The University of Austin, its founders say, will soon rise up from a Texas campus in opposition to the censorship they believe to be pervasive at American colleges. Students and faculty will be free to present unpopular perspectives, the
New York Times
reports, starting next summer with Forbidden Courses—an...
Gulf Countries Ban
Nov 5, 2021 3:58 AM CDT
Gulf Countries Ban
Censors objected to same-sex kiss
- The latest Marvel movie comes out in the US on Friday, but in Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries, the release date for
has been shifted from Nov. 11 to possibly never. Sources tell the
that Disney was not willing to make cuts demanded by censors in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.