Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Thieves Who Allegedly
Swiped 2M Dimes Indicted
Oct 24, 2023 1:46 PM CDT
Thieves Who Allegedly Swiped 2M Dimes Indicted
Feds say the men stole $235K in 10-cent coins off of a tractor-trailer from the US Mint
- Federal authorities have released more details and unsealed charges in the theft of more than 2 million dimes earlier this year from a tractor-trailer that had picked up the coins from the US Mint in Philadelphia. The truck driver was bound for Miami when he pulled into a parking lot...
3 Tons of Coins
Oct 24, 2023 7:24 AM CDT
Judge Slams Firm's 'Symbolic Middle Finger': 3 Tons of Coins
Colorado's JMF Enterprises tried to pay $23.5K subcontractor settlement in dimes, pennies, etc.
- A Colorado welding company that was apparently upset over having to pay a settlement to a subcontractor has been stymied by a judge who called its tactics "in bad faith." CBS Colorado reports that Larimer County Judge Joseph Findley on Monday ordered JMF Enterprises to pay Fired Up...
Coins May Have Been
Hidden Before 1692 Massacre
Oct 9, 2023 11:28 AM CDT
Coins May Have Been Hidden Before 1692 Massacre
Archaeologists find small pot filled with them in Scotland
- It appears that Alasdair "Maclain" MacDonald saw trouble coming and stashed away some coins under a fireplace. More than 330 years later, Scottish archaeologists suggest they've found them, reports Live Science . A member of a University of Glasgow team found a small pot filled with the coins inside...
Well, the World Now
Has a $23M Coin
Sep 5, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Well, the World Now Has a $23M Coin
The East India Company pays a very glitzy tribute to the late Queen Elizabeth II
- If you're Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, Franklin D. Roosevelt, George Washington, John F. Kennedy, and Sacagawea, the United States of America will put your faces on coins worth a grand total of $1.91 for your role in the country's history. The US' former British overlords do things...
It's Prison for Thief Who
Cleaned Out Coin Machines
Jun 30, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
It's Prison for Thief Who Cleaned Out Coin Machines
'This was not pocket change,' prosecutors say
- A thief who posed as an employee of a coin-cashing company sent to tend to the machines, only to break into them and take the coin vaults with him, was sentenced Thursday to four years in prison. The US attorney's office for Oregon said Richard Pena repeated the scam...
Family Finds Small
Fortune in Late
All in Pennies
Jun 10, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Family Finds Small Fortune in Late Man's Home, All in Pennies
And the 1 million coins are worth more than $10K—they're made of pure copper
- For years, California real estate agent John Reyes, his wife, and members of her extended family have been slowly (as their schedules allow) cleaning out the home of her late father, Fritz, located in the Pico-Union neighborhood of Los Angeles. One find in particular, however, in the deceased German immigrant'...
This Thief Can Spare 2M Dimes
Apr 14, 2023 9:18 AM CDT
This Thief Can Spare 2M Dimes
Thief or thieves swipe a whole lot of change from tractor-trailer in Pennsylvania parking lot
- Philadelphia police are looking for one or more thieves who made off with 2 million dimes weighing an estimated 5 tons. A tractor-trailer had picked up $750,000 in dimes from the Philadelphia Mint, which were to be taken to Florida. The driver had parked the truck in a Walmart...
History Forgot a
Nov 24, 2022 2:55 PM CST
History Forgot a Roman Emperor, Coins Suggest
Sponsian may have ruled over Dacia province 1.8K years ago: researchers
- Four coins unearthed in Romania's Transylvania region in 1713 depicted, it was thought at the time, an unknown Roman emperor. A century and a half later, Emperor Sponsian had been almost universally declared to be a fake, invented by forgers. Henry Cohen, a leading coin expert of the 19th...
Makes History on US Coin
Oct 19, 2022 6:40 AM CDT
Asian American Makes History on US Coin
Film star Anna May Wong was considered the first Chinese American star in xenophobic industry
- Beginning Monday, the US will have its first Asian American on currency. Anna May Wong, a film star who broke into Hollywood during the silent era a century ago, will be depicted on the backs of some 300 million new quarters , most of which are already sold out, per the...
Value of This Rare, Storied
Nickel Will Blow Your Mind
Oct 18, 2022 2:03 PM CDT
Value of This Rare, Storied Nickel Will Blow Your Mind
Liberty Head nickel kept in closet for 41 years is worth $4.2 million
- There are five US nickels dated 1913 that carry Lady Liberty on the front and a "V" on the back. Two are held in museums and a third just sold for a whopping $4.2 million—or 84,000,000 nickels. That's because the 1913 Liberty Head nickel...
Charles Skips the Crown,
Faces Left for New Coins
Sep 30, 2022 10:33 AM CDT
Charles Skips the Crown, Faces Left for New Coins
New king is replacing the late queen on British money
- Britain's Royal Mint has unveiled the first coins to feature the portrait of King Charles III. Britons will begin to see Charles’ image on their change from around December, as 50-pence coins depicting him gradually enter circulation, per the AP . The new monarch's effigy was created by British...
Couple Finds Out Home Is
'One Hell of a Piggy Bank'
Sep 3, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Couple Finds Out Home Is 'One Hell of a Piggy Bank'
UK pair discovered 18th-century gold coins worth up to $290K under their kitchen floor
- Home renovations can be nerve-wracking: You never know what you're going to unearth underneath the old plaster and wood as you make way for the new. For a UK couple, their discovery was more shocking than most: a container filled with 18th-century coins that could end up selling at...
10 Pennies Fetch
More Than $1M at Auction
Aug 31, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
10 Pennies Fetch More Than $1M at Auction
One 1909 Lincoln penny sold for $365K
- Ten pennies from early last century sold for the equivalent of more than 110 million modern pennies at an auction in California Sunday. Auction house GreatCollections says the pennies were "specially struck proof coins made for collectors by the United States Mint in Philadelphia in the early years of...
Seabed Gives Up Coin
Minted 1.8K Years Ago
Jul 27, 2022 9:01 AM CDT
Seabed Gives Up Coin Minted 1.8K Years Ago
It's been traced back to Egypt under the rule of Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius
- Israel's Antiquities Authority said Monday it has discovered a rare 1,850-year-old bronze zodiac coin during an underwater survey off the coastal city of Haifa, reports the AP . The coin bears the image of the zodiac sign Cancer behind a depiction of the moon goddess Luna. Experts say the...
Start Digging in Your Sofa
for Much-Needed Coins
Apr 4, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Start Digging in Your Sofa for Much-Needed Coins
Businesses across the US are begging people to put spare change into circulation amid shortage
- Got a dime you can spare? Retailers, laundromats, and other businesses that rely on coins want you to turn it in, along with any other spare change in piggy banks or under couch cushions, as coins are in short supply again, the AP reports. A group of trade associations that...
New 'Remarkable' Women's
Quarters Starts With a Big One
Jan 11, 2022 8:31 AM CST
New 'Remarkable' Women's Quarters Starts With a Big One
US Mint has started shipping quarters with image of poet Maya Angelou, first in a series
- The United States Mint said Monday it has begun shipping quarters featuring the image of poet Maya Angelou, the first coins in its American Women Quarters Program. Angelou, an American author, poet, and civil rights activist, rose to prominence with the publication of
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Stash of Ancient
Jan 10, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Badger Unearths Stash of Ancient Roman Coins
Archaeologists in Spain are grateful
- Archaeologists in northern Spain have discovered the largest stash of ancient Roman coins ever found in the region. And they're giving all the credit to a hungry badger, reports the
. Researchers found more than 200 coins, dating back to between the third and fifth century AD, in the...
Belonged to One of
the First Christians
Dec 22, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Shipwreck Ring Belonged to One of the First Christians
Ring inscribed with 'Good Shepherd' among Roman-era treasures found off Israel
- A gold ring belonging to one of the first Christians is among the treasures pulled from a Roman-era shipwreck off Israel, researchers say. Also discovered in the wreck off the ancient port of Caesarea is a bronze eagle figurine, bells meant to keep evil spirits at bay, various pottery, and...
Under Quirky Law, We
Really Could Mint a $1T Coin
Oct 6, 2021 8:14 AM CDT
Under Quirky Law, We Really Could Mint a $1T Coin
'Gimmick' floated as one solution to the debt-ceiling impasse
- Some politicians think they've found a silver bullet for the impasse over the debt limit, except the bullet is made of platinum: Mint a $1 trillion coin and use it to flood the treasury with cash. Even its serious proponents— Paul Krugman is one of them —call it...
Probe: Phoenix Cops Had a
Controversial 'Challenge Coin'
Aug 13, 2021 2:15 PM CDT
Probe: Phoenix Cops Had a Controversial 'Challenge Coin'
Investigation wraps up into cop-shared coins depicting protester getting shot in the groin
- Two independent probes into the Phoenix PD have been completed, and its chief has been suspended for a day due to their findings. Per the 37-page report by the Ballard Spahr law firm, released Thursday by City Manager Ed Zuercher, one of the probes confirmed earlier whispers that a "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.