Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is How to Win
the Little League World Series
Aug 28, 2023 6:15 AM CDT
This Is How to Win the Little League World Series
Louis Lappe of El Segundo, California, hits a game-ending home run
- The Little League World Championship belongs to an American team thanks to a dramatic game-ending home run from a 12-year-old. Louis Lappe won the game for El Segundo, California, with a towering solo homer in the sixth and final inning to break a 5-5 tie against Curacao in the title...
as a Hitter
Aug 25, 2023 4:31 PM CDT
Injured as a Pitcher, Star Returns as a Hitter
Shohei Ohtani won't pitch again this year but is in the Angels lineup as a DH
- Shohei Ohtani's season as a pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels ended on Wednesday, but he reappeared in the lineup as a designated hitter on Friday. The normally two-way star was scheduled to bat second against the New York Mets on Friday night, ESPN reports, in the first game...
'J-Rod' Did Two
Has Ever Done
Aug 22, 2023 8:14 AM CDT
'J-Rod' Did Two Things Nobody in Baseball Has Ever Done
Mariners' Julio Rodriguez had 17 hits in 4 games, reached base 17 straight times he put ball in play
- Even the most casual of baseball fans might take a moment to wrap their heads around what Julio Rodriguez of the Seattle Mariners just accomplished. The 22-year-old center-fielder wrapped up a sizzling and historic five-game stretch at the plate. Highlights:
Within that span, "J-Rod" had 17 hits in four
You've Probably Never
Seen a Bat Like This
Aug 21, 2023 8:02 AM CDT
You've Probably Never Seen a Bat Like This
Bryson Stott of the Phillies uses one painted like a No. 2 pencil in Little League Classic
- The Nationals beat the Phillies 4-3 on Sunday, but the game is more notable for the unusual gear used by players from both teams. Like the bat custom-painted to resemble a No. 2 pencil by the Phillies' Bryson Stott, per the AP . On the opposing side, Joey Meneses wielded one...
Pitcher's Game Is One 'I'm
Going to Remember Forever'
Jun 29, 2023 6:25 AM CDT
Pitcher's Game Is One 'I'm Going to Remember Forever'
New York Yankees' Domingo German pitches perfect game in 11-0 victory over Athletics
- Since arriving in the big leagues six years ago, Domingo German has been anything but perfect—until now. The New York Yankees right-hander pitched the 24th perfect game in major league history Wednesday night, retiring every Oakland batter in an 11-0 victory over the Athletics. It was the first perfect...
Pitcher Booed at Home
After Anti-LGBTQ Post
Jun 1, 2023 1:17 PM CDT
Pitcher Booed at Home After Anti-LGBTQ Post
Anthony Bass of the Toronto Blue Jays has apologized
- Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Anthony Bass does not appear to be a fan favorite at the moment after he shared an anti-LGBTQ video on social media. When the relief pitcher entered the game Wednesday night in Toronto, hometown fans could be heard booing, reports Yahoo Sports and CP24.com . What'...
College Baseball Player Dies
as Makeshift Dugout Falls
May 26, 2023 12:35 AM CDT
College Baseball Player Dies as Makeshift Dugout Falls
Angel Mercado, 19, of Central Penn College was helping take down the structure
- A 19-year-old college baseball player in Pennsylvania has died in a freak accident involving a makeshift dugout, reports CBS News . Angel Mercado of Central Penn College was helping take down the wooden structure at a baseball field in Harrisburg when it fell on top of him Monday, per WHP . The...
Dodgers Do 180 on Pride Night
After 2nd Round of Backlash
May 23, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Dodgers Do 180 on Pride Night After 2nd Round of Backlash
MLB team uninvited LGBTQ+ charity group after conservative complaints, then reinvited them
- It didn't seem out of the ordinary that the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence , an LGBTQ+ charity and satirical performance drag group in which participants dress as nuns, had been invited to the Los Angeles Dodgers' 10th annual Pride Night next month. The group was set to receive a "...
Gets Caught in
Dust Devil During
May 17, 2023 8:24 AM CDT
7-Year-Old Gets Caught in Dust Devil During Baseball Game
17-year-old umpire Aidan Wiles rescues Bauer Zoya in odd phenomenon in Jacksonville, Florida
- A young baseball player in Florida got quite the scare over the weekend when he was caught up in what looked like a pint-size tornado of dust in the middle of the game. WPLG reports that 7-year-old Bauer Zoya, a catcher for the Ponte Vedra Sharks, was on a field...
MLB Pitcher Suffers
Scary Line Drive Injury
May 15, 2023 7:36 AM CDT
MLB Pitcher Suffers Scary Line Drive Injury
Colorado Rockies pitcher Ryan Feltner suffers concussion, skull fracture after being hit by ball
- Colorado Rockies pitcher Ryan Feltner has a skull fracture and concussion after getting hit by a line drive off the bat of the Philadelphia Phillies' Nick Castellanos. Feltner was injured Saturday night during a game in Denver and was discharged from Swedish Medical Center on Sunday, per the AP . He...
Little League Has
for Unruly Parents
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
This Town's Little League Has 'Ingenious' Plan for Unruly Parents
In Deptford, New Jersey, abusive spectators will have to take on umpire duties or be banned
- If you've ever attended a children's sporting event, you've likely witnessed a select few parents who get a little too much into the game, becoming agitated from the sidelines and even berating the refs or umpires. One New Jersey town has come up with a solution for...
It's the 'Feel-Good Moment
of the 2023 MLB Season'
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2023 11:48 AM CDT
It's the 'Feel-Good Moment of the 2023 MLB Season'
Drew Maggi gets standing ovation in MLB debut after 13 seasons in minor league
- Drew Maggi has played 1,154 games of minor league baseball over a 13-year career, hoping for his big league debut. In 2019, he thought his dream had finally come true. But the Phoenix native, called up by the Minnesota Twins, never actually took to the field, per the
'I've Never Experienced
Anything Like This' in MLB
Apr 11, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
'I've Never Experienced Anything Like This' in MLB
Batting averages rise, game time drops as pitch clock, infield limits debut, along with bigger bases
- Major League Baseball's new rules designed to speed pace of play and encourage more action seem to be working through the season's first week and a half. Batting average is up 16 points, stolen bases have spiked 30%, and the average game time is down 31 minutes, on...
Climate Change May Be
Affecting Baseball Games
Apr 9, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Climate Change May Be Affecting Baseball Games
Researchers suggest warmer weather is leading to more home runs
- Climate change is making major league sluggers into even hotter hitters, sending an extra 50 or so home runs a year over the fences, a new study found. Per the AP , hotter, thinner air that allows balls to fly farther contributed a tiny bit to a surge in home runs...
Was Quite a Marriage
Proposal on the Baseball Field
Mar 31, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Was Quite a Marriage Proposal on the Baseball Field
Ricardo Juarez gets tackled by security during romantic gesture at Dodger Stadium
- A Los Angeles Dodgers fan tried to propose to his girlfriend at a baseball game, but ended up getting tackled like he was at a football game. TMZ Sports reports that it all went down during Thursday night's matchup at Dodger Stadium against the Arizona Diamondbacks, when a man...
to See That'
Mar 22, 2023 8:12 AM CDT
'I Think Every Baseball Fan Wanted to See That'
World Baseball Classic comes to showdown between Ohtani, Trout, as Japan wins
- Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout had dreamed of this moment, along with millions of fans throughout Japan and the United States: the two biggest stars on the planet, longtime teammates, facing each other at 60 feet, 6 inches, the world title at stake. Of course, the count went full. And...
Someone Celebrated His
Baseball Win a Little Too Hard
Mar 16, 2023 10:23 AM CDT
Someone Celebrated His Baseball Win a Little Too Hard
Mets closer Edwin Diaz may be out for season after hurting knee in World Baseball Classic celebration
- New York Mets closer Edwin Diaz suffered a possibly season-ending injury Wednesday at a World Baseball Classic game, but it wasn't during the game itself. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Diaz, 28, finished off the ninth inning during the international tournament in Miami for Puerto Rico's 5-2...
Ex-Phillies Got Brain Cancer
After Playing on Artificial Turf
Mar 7, 2023 1:53 PM CST
Ex-Phillies Got Brain Cancer After Playing on Artificial Turf
'Philadelphia Inquirer' digs into the cluster of rare glioblastoma cases
is out with a jarring story about that city's baseball team: The newspaper reports that six former members of the Philadelphia Phillies died of the rare brain cancer glioblastoma, and one thing they had in common is that they played on artificial turf at the since-demolished...
Baseball Loses a Familiar
Face, and Voice
Feb 16, 2023 2:01 PM CST
Baseball Loses a Familiar Face, and Voice
Player and broadcaster Tim McCarver dies at 81
- Tim McCarver, the All-Star catcher and Hall of Fame broadcaster who during 60 years in baseball won two World Series titles with the St. Louis Cardinals and had a long run as the one of the country's most recognized television commentators, died Thursday at age 81, per the AP...
Feb 14, 2023 1:55 PM CST
Baseball's Ghost Runner Is Staying
MLB makes permanent a rule designed to shorten extra-inning games
- Baseball has been experimenting with a pretty big change to the rules, and the change is now permanent. From now on, every time a game goes into extra innings, a "ghost runner" will start each inning on second base, reports ESPN . The idea is to make it easier to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
Suspect in Murder of Illinois Family Found Dead in Vehicle
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.