Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Belonged to One of
the First Christians
Dec 22, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Shipwreck Ring Belonged to One of the First Christians
Ring inscribed with 'Good Shepherd' among Roman-era treasures found off Israel
- A gold ring belonging to one of the first Christians is among the treasures pulled from a Roman-era shipwreck off Israel, researchers say. Also discovered in the wreck off the ancient port of Caesarea is a bronze eagle figurine, bells meant to keep evil spirits at bay, various pottery, and...
It 'Looked So New,' He Couldn't
Believe It Was Ancient Treasure
May 2, 2021 2:12 PM CDT
It 'Looked So New,' He Couldn't Believe It Was Ancient Treasure
Bronze Age trove likely left as offering in Swedish forest
- A treasure trove of jewelry and other goods likely belonging to one or more high-status women was once intentionally left in a forest in what is now western Sweden. It only took 2,500 years to find it. Cartographer Thomas Karlsson was surveying the forest near the town of Alingsas...
Behold the Ring With
the Most Diamonds Ever
Jan 5, 2021 8:16 AM CST
Behold the Ring With the Most Diamonds Ever
The 'Marigold,' featuring 12,638 stones, has been recognized by Guinness World Records
- Start doing your hand exercises now if you ever want to slip the "Ring of Prosperity" on your finger—it'll be a heavy lift. That's because the piece of jewelry (aka the "Marigold") designed by Harshit Bansal of India's Renani Jewels features 12,638...
Jewelry Named for Victims
of Police Brutality Is Yanked
Sep 11, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Jewelry Named for Victims of Police Brutality Is Yanked
Controversial collection made of shattered glass from BLM protest pulled from Charleston museum
- A bolo tie named for Eric Garner . "The Elijah" and "The Breonna," necklaces costing several hundred dollars in honor of Elijah McClain and Breonna Taylor . A $45 pair of earrings bearing Trayvon Martin 's name. These are some of the items the
lists as part...
Customer Orders 'Priciest
Facemask in the World'
Aug 9, 2020 3:15 PM CDT
Customer Orders 'Priciest Facemask in the World'
3.6K white and black diamonds add to the glitz
- An Israeli jewelry company is working on what it says will be the world's most expensive coronavirus mask, a gold, diamond-encrusted face covering with a price tag of $1.5 million, the AP reports. The 18-karat white gold mask will be decorated with 3,600 white and black diamonds...
Class Ring Lost
47 Years Ago
in Maine Pops
Up in Finland
Feb 17, 2020 7:55 AM CST
Class Ring Lost 47 Years Ago in Maine Pops Up in Finland
Maine woman who lost class ring of her boyfriend (who became her husband) in 1973 gets it back
- Shawn and Debra McKenna were high school sweethearts who were married for four decades before he died in 2017 after a long battle with cancer. Earlier this month, Debra McKenna received a sweet reminder of the man she'd loved, from the most unexpected place. The
Bangor Daily News
This Is Luxury Industry's
Biggest Deal Ever
Nov 25, 2019 12:30 AM CST
This Is Luxury Industry's Biggest Deal Ever
French giant LVMH is paying $16.7B for US firm Tiffany
- French luxury giant LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton said Monday it has reached a deal to buy US-based jewelry legend Tiffany & Co. for $16.2 billion. LVMH said in a statement that the deal values the 180-year old Tiffany and its 300 boutiques worldwide at $135 a share. The...
Thief's Patience Is
Worth $13K in Jewelry
Oct 19, 2019 2:25 PM CDT
Thief's Patience Is Worth $13K in Jewelry
Atlanta-area authorities are asking for people's help
- A patient thief managed to make off with $13,000 in jewelry from a Costco after it closed, Fox 5 Atlanta reports. Investigators say the man cased the Atlanta-area store Oct 10, came back a few hours later, hid behind a display by the front wall, and waited there for...
NYC Cops: We Nabbed
Elderly Man Wanted for Years
Sep 6, 2019 7:05 AM CDT
NYC Cops: We Nabbed Elderly Man Wanted for Years
Cops say octogenarian Samuel Sabatino would break into luxury apartments over summer break
- It was the "unassuming demeanor, simple clothes, and large glasses" that police say helped the elderly man pull off his heists: more than $400,000 in jewelry and watches allegedly taken from New York City apartments over the past five years. The
New York Times
reports Samuel Sabatino, variously...
Jewelry Giant Accused
of Treating Women Terribly
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 28, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
Jewelry Giant Accused of Treating Women Terribly
'New York Times' details lawsuits, accusations by female employees against Sterling
- You're almost certainly familiar with Sterling Jewelers even if you don't think you are. "Every kiss begins with Kay." "He should have gone to Jared." Yes, Sterling and parent company Signet own Kay, Jared, Osterman, J.B. Robinson, and lots more chains as the...
Jewels of France's
Last Queen Hit
Nov 14, 2018 6:21 AM CST
Jewels of France's Last Queen Hit Auction Block
Ring, pearl necklaces to be sold Thursday in Switzerland
- Let them eat their hearts out. Jewels that once belonged to Marie Antoinette, the extravagant and doomed last queen of France, are set to hit the auction block as part of what Sotheby's calls "one of the most important royal jewellery collections ever to appear on the market....
A Beheaded Queen's
Jewelry Is Up for Grabs
Jun 13, 2018 12:50 PM CDT
A Beheaded Queen's Jewelry Is Up for Grabs
Pearls worn by Marie Antoinette that haven't been seen in public in 200 years are up for auction
- Sotheby's says it will be auctioning off a set of natural pearls that once belonged to the famed—or infamous—French queen Marie Antoinette, and that haven't been seen in public for centuries. The sale of "Royal Jewels From the Bourbon-Parma Family" is set to take place...
De Beers Vowed for Years Not
to Make the Move It's Making
May 30, 2018 8:23 AM CDT
De Beers Vowed for Years Not to Make the Move It's Making
Company announced it will sell synthetic diamonds under the Lightbox brand
- De Beers' diamonds won't come exclusively from mines anymore. In a significant about-face, the company announced Tuesday it is getting into the synthetic diamond game with Lightbox, its new man-made diamond brand that will offer full carat stones from roughly $800 beginning in September. That price point is essentially...
Enterprising Car Prowler
Pulls Off Huge Jewelry Heist
Sep 23, 2017 10:50 AM CDT
Enterprising Car Prowler Pulls Off Huge Jewelry Heist
Someone stole $900K in jewelry out of a car in San Francisco
- Police don't often ask for the public's help to solve a car break-in, but then most cars aren't carrying nearly $1 million in jewelry. The
San Francisco Chronicle
reports someone smashed the windows of a Cadillac Escalade parked in San Francisco on Aug. 12 and stole two...
Selling 'Tiffany' Engagement
Rings Just Cost Costco $19.4M
Aug 15, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Selling 'Tiffany' Engagement Rings Just Cost Costco $19.4M
Judge rules against warehouse club, which sold jewelry using Tiffany brand name
- A federal judge's decision on trademark infringement likely has Costco executives feeling blue—but definitely not Tiffany blue. Per CNBC , US District Judge Laura Taylor Swain ruled Monday the warehouse club must fork over $19.4 million in damages, plus interest, to the luxury jeweler for selling diamond engagement...
Company in Australia Turning
IVF Embryos Into Jewelry
May 5, 2017 7:10 AM CDT
Company in Australia Turning IVF Embryos Into Jewelry
'My embryos were my babies—frozen in time'
- A company in Australia that has been making jewelry and various mementos for parents using actual raw materials from development—think breast milk, hair, the placenta and cord stump—has taken things a step further, and critics are appalled. Baby Bee Hummingbirds, started by midwife Amy McGlade in 2014, was...
Yelp Review on
Apr 7, 2017 9:50 AM CDT
Employee's Yelp Review on Competitor Costs Him $34.5K
'Incensed' rival did his own detective work to find out who posted phony review
- "No one should have to go through this, not children, adults, elderly," Stephen Blumberg tells CBS Boston , and a jury apparently agreed with him. The cause of Blumberg's emotional turmoil: a fake, "inflammatory" Yelp review of his Massachusetts jewelry store posted by the son of a...
Women Claim Sex
Was Prerequisite for
Promotion at Kay, Jared
Feb 28, 2017 1:18 AM CST
Women Claim Sex Was Prerequisite for Promotion at Kay, Jared
But class-action suit covering 69K workers covers pay, promotions discrimination
- Women accusing managers at one of the nation's biggest jewelry companies of sexual harassment say that bosses called demanding sex in return for promotion "going to the big stage." In around 250 declarations filed as part of a huge class-action suit against Sterling Jewelers, owner of the...
Alanis Victim of 2nd
Feb 15, 2017 12:21 AM CST
Alanis Victim of 2nd Multimillion-Dollar Theft
Thieves made off with $2M from LA home
- More bad luck for Alanis Morissette: Police say burglars broke into the Canadian singer's Los Angeles home and stole a safe containing $2 million in jewelry, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. Morissette, her husband, and their two children weren't home at the time of the Feb. 9 break-in...
Report: Kay Jewelers
Swaps Diamonds With Fakes
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 29, 2016 7:33 AM CDT
Report: Kay Jewelers Swaps Diamonds With Fakes
Complaints are piling up on Facebook about lesser diamonds, other stones
- "It was flat-out theft." That's how one woman describes her experience with Kay Jewelers, which is facing a barrage of complaints from customers who say their jewelry was lost or damaged—or even that the diamonds in their engagement rings were replaced with fake ones. Chrissy Clarius...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
She Died on African Hunting Trip. 5 Years Later, Husband Is Arrested
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Experts Say Anne Frank Bombshell Is 'Full of Errors'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.