Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Female Anchors Cover Faces
Under New Taliban Order
May 22, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Female Anchors Cover Faces Under New Taliban Order
Male colleagues in Afghanistan wear masks in solidarity
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers on Sunday began enforcing an order requiring all female TV news anchors in the country to cover their faces while on the air. The move is part of a hard-line shift drawing condemnation from rights activists. After the order was announced Thursday, only a handful of...
Women Challenge Taliban Rule:
'This Isn't About Hijab'
May 8, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Women Challenge Taliban Rule: 'This Isn't About Hijab'
Some Taliban leaders look for workarounds on the restrictions in Afghanistan
- Arooza was furious and afraid, keeping her eyes open for Taliban on patrol as she and a friend shopped Sunday in Kabul's Macroyan neighborhood. The math teacher was fearful her large shawl, wrapped tight around her head, and sweeping pale brown coat would not satisfy the latest decree by...
May 7, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Taliban Just Resurrected a Hard-Line Mandate
Women once more have to wear face-covering burkas in public
- Afghanistan's Taliban leadership ordered all Afghan women to wear the all-covering burka in public, the ministry of vice and virtue said Saturday. The move evoked similar restrictions on women during the Taliban's previous hard-line rule between 1996 and 2001. "We want our sisters to live with dignity...
Taliban: No More TikTok
Apr 22, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Taliban: No More TikTok
Afghanistan's rulers say young people are being led astray
- The Taliban has been outlawing various products and activities since taking power in Afghanistan. TV shows with women in them were banned last fall, per CNN . Wine fell out of favor earlier this month. The latest prohibition reaches young people, the BBC reports: The use of TikTok and PUBG is...
Taliban Just Banned
Biggest Cash Crop
Apr 4, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
Taliban Just Banned Afghanistan's Biggest Cash Crop
After decades of financing the leaders, opium, other drugs get the boot
- The Taliban was in the restricting mood Sunday, banning opium poppy—which accounts for 80% of the world's supply of opium—along with wine, heroin, and other drugs. The Taliban has had an interesting relationship with opium, having repeatedly tried to ban the narcotic before using the crop to...
Video Is First Sign of Life
of Abducted American
Apr 1, 2022 2:50 PM CDT
Video Is First Sign of Life of Abducted American
Mark Frerichs, held by a Taliban faction since 2020, is seen in clip obtained by 'New Yorker'
- Friday brings significant developments on the fate of three Americans held in captivity by the Taliban in Afghanistan—two have been freed and the third was seen in a video, the first sign of life in two years. Details:
obtained a video (you can watch
Booted From Flights
Mar 26, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Officials: Afghan Women Without Male Companions Booted From Flights
Unaccompanied women reportedly turned away from airport in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Friday
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers refused to allow dozens of women to board several flights, including some overseas, because they were traveling without a male "guardian," two Afghan airline officials said Saturday. The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said dozens of women who arrived at Kabul's...
From the Taliban,
an 'Unexpected Decision'
Mar 23, 2022 7:48 AM CDT
From the Taliban, an 'Unexpected Decision'
Afghanistan's de facto rulers break promise, won't open schools to girls above 6th grade
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers decided against opening schools to girls above the sixth grade, reneging on a previous promise and opting to appease their hardline base at the expense of further alienating the international community. The unexpected decision, confirmed by a Taliban official Wednesday, came at the start of the...
Feb 11, 2022 4:10 PM CST
Biden Divides Afghan Funds
Taliban object to president's plan to split $7B between humanitarian aid and families of 9/11 victims
- President Biden signed an executive order Friday to move toward unfreezing about $7 billion in Afghan reserve funds now held in the US. The administration locked down the money in August to keep it from the Taliban when they overthrew Afghanistan's government. Biden's plan would split the money,...
UN: After Taliban Takeover,
a Grim Number
Jan 31, 2022 6:28 AM CST
UN: After Taliban Takeover, a Grim Number
Report says 100-plus ex-Afghan, international forces killed since Taliban took over in August
- The United Nations has received "credible allegations" that more than 100 former members of the Afghan government, its security forces, and those who worked with international troops have been killed since the Taliban took over the country Aug. 15, according to Secretary-General Antonio Guterres. In a report obtained Sunday...
Biden to Taliban:
Release US Hostage
Jan 31, 2022 5:27 AM CST
Biden to Taliban: Release US Hostage
On 2nd anniversary of Mark Frerichs' kidnapping, president issues call for his release
- President Biden on Sunday called for the release of US Navy veteran Mark Frerichs, reports the AP , who was taken hostage in Afghanistan nearly two years ago. Frerichs, a civil engineer and contractor from Lombard, Ill., was kidnapped in January 2020 from the capital of Kabul. He is believed to...
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul,
but These Americans Just Did
Jan 27, 2022 6:29 AM CST
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul, but These Americans Just Did
Charter flight thought to have dozens of US citizens heads to Qatar amid flight groundings by Taliban
- Since November, Americans have had a tough time getting out of Kabul after the Taliban grounded most flights. This week, a chartered flight paid for by the US State Department and run by Qatar's Ministry of Foreign Affairs was finally able to depart the Afghan capital for Qatar with...
In a First, Taliban Delegation
Is Heading to Europe
Jan 21, 2022 1:53 PM CST
In a First, Taliban Delegation Is Heading to Europe
Talks with the US are on the agenda
- A Taliban delegation will travel to Norway for talks with the Norwegian government and representatives from several allied countries, including the US, per the AP . The Norwegian Foreign Ministry said Friday that it has invited representatives of the Taliban to Oslo from Sunday to Tuesday to hold talks covering humanitarian...
Taliban: Women Taking Trips
Should Bring a Male Relative
Dec 27, 2021 4:35 PM CST
Taliban: Women Taking Trips Should Bring a Male Relative
Pakistan joins Human Rights Watch in objecting to Afghanistan directive
- New travel restrictions have been placed on women in Afghanistan by the Taliban. If they're going more than 45 miles, they should travel with a close male relative, the BBC reports. If they're not wearing Islamic head or face coverings, drivers should refuse to give them a ride....
Women on TV
Nov 22, 2021 1:54 AM CST
Taliban Issues 'Guidelines' for Women on TV
For example, it doesn't want women appearing in TV dramas
- The Taliban would like to see no more women appearing in TV dramas or soap operas in Afghanistan. The militant Islamist group, which took control of the country in August, also wants female journalists and TV presenters to wear hijabs when appearing on television, the BBC reports. This is the...
Taliban Abruptly Bans All
Foreign Currency Transactions
Nov 3, 2021 5:16 PM CDT
Taliban Abruptly Bans All Foreign Currency Transactions
Those who fail to use the afghani will be punished, group says
- Afghanistan's battered economy took another heavy blow Tuesday when the Taliban abruptly declared a total ban on the use of all foreign currencies. American dollars are widely used in markets and the currencies of neighboring countries are often used in border areas. The Taliban said anybody who failed to...
For 2nd Straight Week,
Mosque Attack Kills Dozens
Oct 15, 2021 8:55 AM CDT
For 2nd Straight Week, Mosque Attack Kills Dozens
Suicide bombers suspected to be from Islamic State target worshipers in Afghanistan
- Suicide bombers assaulted a Shiite mosque in southern Afghanistan that was packed with worshippers attending weekly Friday prayers, killing at least 37 people and wounding more than 70, according to a hospital official and an eyewitness. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack on the Imam Barga...
He Made a Plea to Biden. Now,
an Interpreter Finds Safety
Oct 11, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
He Made a Plea to Biden. Now, an Interpreter Finds Safety
Aman Khalili, who helped rescue Biden after chopper's 2008 emergency landing, flees Afghanistan
- It took a 600-mile trek and weeks of hard work by US, Afghan, and Pakistani allies, but Aman Khalili and his family are finally safely out of Afghanistan. While the name of the ex-Afghan translator may not ring a bell for most, one person in particular knows it well: President...
Taliban Tells US
There'll Be No Help With IS
Oct 9, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Taliban Tells US There'll Be No Help With IS
That's how this weekend's negotiations begin
- The Taliban on Saturday ruled out cooperation with the US to contain extremist groups in Afghanistan, staking out an uncompromising position on a key issue ahead of the first direct talks between the former foes since America withdrew from the country in August. Senior Taliban officials and US representatives are...
If Taliban Don't Pay
Electric Bill, It'll
Be Lights Out
Oct 4, 2021 8:05 PM CDT
If Taliban Don't Pay Electric Bill, It'll Be Lights Out
Foreign suppliers could cut off power, leading to blackouts in Kabul
- On top of everything else, the people of Afghanistan could soon lose power because the ruling Taliban aren't paying foreign electrical suppliers. "This would be a really dangerous situation," said Daud Noorzai, who quit as head of Afghanistan's power monopoly after the Taliban takeover, the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
Once the Vatican's No. 2 Man, His Legacy Was Marred
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.