Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Two Earthquakes Kill
Scores in Afghanistan
Oct 7, 2023 3:35 PM CDT
Two Earthquakes Kill Scores in Afghanistan
WHO, local organizations try to reach the injured
- Two 6.3 magnitude earthquakes killed dozens of people in western Afghanistan on Saturday, the country's national disaster authority said. The United Nations gave a preliminary figure of 320 dead but later said the figure was still being verified, the AP reports. Local authorities gave an estimate of 100...
Lose Value if Men
See Their Faces
Aug 18, 2023 12:14 PM CDT
Taliban: Women Lose Value if Men See Their Faces
Molvi Mohammad Sadiq Akif says women who spurn hijabs risk 'falling into sin'
- Women lose value if men can see their uncovered faces in public, a spokesman for a key ministry of Afghanistan's Taliban government said Thursday, adding that religious scholars in the country agree that a woman must keep her face covered when outside the home. The Taliban, who took over...
Aug 12, 2023 2:50 PM CDT
Afghan Official: Leaders Want Women Back in College
Decision on lifting the ban is up to Taliban leader
- Afghanistan's universities are ready to readmit female students, but the ruling Taliban's leader has the ultimate say on when that might happen—if it happens at all, an education official said Saturday. "All our leaders are in favor" of restarting girls' education, he said, "even our...
Taliban Orders Hair,
Beauty Salons to Shut Down
Jul 4, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
Taliban Orders Hair, Beauty Salons to Shut Down
'The Taliban are taking away the most basic human rights from Afghan women'
- Afghanistan's Taliban rulers have taken yet another freedom away from the country's women. The Vice and Virtue Ministry has ordered women's hair and beauty salons across the country to close, the BBC reports. An order issued July 2 gave salon owners one month to wind down their...
Security Council Pressures
Taliban on Women's Rights
Apr 27, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Security Council Pressures Taliban on Women's Rights
Unanimous vote calls for reversal of prohibitions on employment, education
- The Taliban's systematic discrimination against women and girls in Afghanistan has brought a rare instance of unanimity to the UN Security Council. A resolution approved Thursday condemns the bias and demands Afghanistan's leaders overturn their policies prohibiting the education, employment, and full public participation of women and girls....
Taliban Kill Mastermind
of Kabul Airport Bombing
Apr 25, 2023 6:07 PM CDT
Taliban Kill Mastermind of Kabul Airport Bombing
2021 suicide bombing killed 13 US service members, 170 Afghans
- The Taliban have killed the senior Islamic State group leader behind the August 2021 suicide bombing outside the Kabul airport that left 13 US service members and about 170 Afghans dead, according to the father of a Marine killed in the attack who was briefed Tuesday by military officials. Over...
Afghan Religious Scholars
Speak Out on Educating Girls
Apr 8, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Afghan Religious Scholars Speak Out on Educating Girls
Taliban minister warns clerics about complaining
- Afghan religious scholars on Saturday criticized a ban on educating women and girls, after a key Taliban minister warned clerics not to rebel against the government on the issue. Girls cannot go to school beyond sixth grade in Afghanistan, with the education ban extending to universities . Women are barred from...
Taliban Take Radio Station
Run by Women Off the Air
Apr 1, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
Taliban Take Radio Station Run by Women Off the Air
Officials accuse the nation's only station operated by women of playing music
- A women-run radio station in Afghanistan's northeast has been shut down for playing music during the holy month of Ramadan, a Taliban official said Saturday. Sadai Banowan, which means "women's voice" in Dari, is Afghanistan's only station operated by women. It launched 10 years ago and...
A Concerning New Group Pops
Up With Twitter's Blue Checks
Jan 17, 2023 8:09 AM CST
A Concerning New Group Pops Up With Twitter's Blue Checks
Taliban officials, supporters were seen with the marks on their accounts, though now they're gone
- Twitter's blue check marks have had a rough go since the platform was taken over by Elon Musk, with the paid Twitter Blue subscription attracting phony accounts and plenty of criticism. The site says it has since made tweaks, but now there's a new issue surrounding the verification...
Taliban Issues Another
Decree Against Women
Dec 25, 2022 1:02 PM CST
Taliban Issues Another Decree Against Women
They can no longer work for NGOs, and aid organizations already are suspending operations
- Last week, the Taliban banned women from going to college . Now, the Afghan government is forbidding women from working at non-governmental organizations, or NGOs. As with the university decree, Taliban leaders say that women working for such organizations have been flouting dress codes and not wearing hijabs, reports the
After Women's Studies Move,
Taliban Tells World to Butt Out
Dec 22, 2022 4:20 PM CST
After Women's Studies Move, Taliban Tells World to Butt Out
Education minister defends decision to bar females from universities
- The minister of higher education in the Taliban government on Thursday defended his decision to bar women from universities—a decree that had triggered a global backlash. Discussing the matter for the first time in public, Nida Mohammad Nadim said the ban issued earlier this week was necessary to prevent...
2 Americans in
Dec 20, 2022 9:21 PM CST
Taliban Releases 2 Americans in 'Goodwill Gesture'
They were freed on same day group banned women from universities
- Two Americans were freed by Afghanistan's Taliban rulers Tuesday in what authorities described as a "goodwill gesture." CNN reports that one of the two Americans is independent filmmaker Ivor Shearer, who was arrested in August while filming near where a drone killed al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri. Officials...
Taliban Just Banned Women
Dec 20, 2022 12:05 PM CST
Taliban Just Banned Women From Universities
Afghanistan's education minister issues the decree
- Women in Afghanistan can no longer attend college, according to a new decree from the Taliban government. The nation's education minister issued the order in a letter to all public and private universities, reports the AFP . “You all are informed to implement the mentioned order of suspending education...
In Taliban's First
Dec 7, 2022 11:44 AM CST
In Taliban's First Public Execution, Victim's Father Pulls Trigger
Man who confessed to 2017 stabbing is shot dead
- In November, the Taliban's supreme leader told judges that Shariah and its associated punishments should be fully enforced. One of those punishments, public executions, was imposed on Wednesday in Afghanistan, in what the BBC reports is believed to be the Taliban's first public execution since it regained power...
Taliban Bans Women
From Parks, Gyms
Nov 10, 2022 11:56 AM CST
Taliban Bans Women From Parks, Gyms
Group claims it has 'tried its best' to avoid imposing restrictions
- More than a year after returning to power in Afghanistan and promising to respect women's rights, the Taliban are busy crushing the few rights women in the country still have. Women are now banned from parks and gyms in the country, according to a Ministry of Vice and Virtue...
Biden: US Prisoner Swap
Required 'Difficult Decisions'
Sep 19, 2022 9:17 AM CDT
Biden: US Prisoner Swap Required 'Difficult Decisions'
US frees Afghan drug lord in exchange for American Mark Frerichs
The White House acknowledged and hailed the release of American hostage Mark Frerichs from Afghanistan on Monday. "Bringing the negotiations that led to Mark’s freedom to a successful resolution required difficult decisions, which I did not take lightly," said President Biden in a statement, per
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others
During Evening Prayers
Aug 18, 2022 4:10 AM CDT
Blast Kills Cleric, 20 Others During Evening Prayers
Witnesses say suicide bomber attacked Kabul mosque
- A bombing at a mosque in the Afghan capital of Kabul during evening prayers killed at least 21 people, including a prominent cleric, and wounded at least 33 others, eyewitnesses and police said Thursday. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack Wednesday night, the latest to strike...
Afghanistan Is Back
Where It Was: US General
Aug 14, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Afghanistan Is Back Where It Was: US General
A year after withdrawal, assessments of the fallout differ
- One year ago, the Taliban took control of the government in Afghanistan. The anniversary has sparked assessments and reassessments of the fallout from the withdrawal of US troops, from Afghans as well as Americans. And the Biden administration is preparing to answer them. The latest are from:
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb
Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
Aug 12, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Afghan Cleric Killed by Bomb Concealed in Prosthetic Leg
It's a 'very huge loss' for the country, Taliban official says of death claimed by ISIS
- An Afghan cleric who supported the Taliban and went up against the Islamic State has been killed in a suicide bombing claimed by that same group. Sheikh Rahimullah Haqqani died at an Islamic seminary in Kabul when a man detonated a bomb hidden in his prosthetic leg, reports Reuters . In...
Taliban: We Didn't Know
Where al-Zawahri Was
Aug 4, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Taliban: We Didn't Know Where al-Zawahri Was
US government claims otherwise
- The Taliban broke its silence Thursday, days after a US drone strike killed al-Qaeda's top leader in Afghanistan's capital, acknowledging his slaying and pledging to launch an investigation. The killing of Ayman al-Zawahri on the balcony of a Kabul safehouse Sunday has further strained relations between the Taliban...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.