Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Blizzard Savior Given
Tickets to the Super Bowl
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 21, 2023 6:00 AM CST
Blizzard Savior Given Tickets to the Super Bowl
Cheektowaga mechanic Jay Withey, aka 'Merry Christmas Jay,' credited with saving 2 dozen
- A Good Samaritan in Buffalo who police say helped save two dozen lives during the city's December blizzard is getting a bit of a reward for his efforts. The Buffalo Bills are giving mechanic Jay Withey two tickets to next month's Super Bowl in Arizona, reports ESPN . It'...
California's Volatile Weather
Isn't Over Yet
Jan 9, 2023 10:45 AM CST
California's Volatile Weather Isn't Over Yet
Governor warns deadly rain and winds may be worse this week
- Californians steeled Monday for the latest of a series of powerful storms that have shuttered schools, toppled trees, flooded roads, and left tens of thousands without power. The National Weather Service warned of a "relentless parade of atmospheric rivers"—storms that are long plumes of moisture stretching out...
After Buffalo Storm, Complaints
of 'Embarrassing' Response
Dec 29, 2022 11:23 AM CST
After Buffalo Storm, Complaints of 'Embarrassing' Response
County executive calls out the mayor, who suggests his critic is too stressed
- In Buffalo, the driving ban is now lifted, the region's death toll from its historic blizzard has risen to 37, and the snow has stopped falling. The blame game, however, appears to be just starting. Amid questions about how Buffalo, of all places, has been so slow to dig...
She Said She'd Be
Right Back, Died in the
Snow Not Far From Home
Dec 29, 2022 12:44 AM CST
She Said She'd Be Right Back, Died in the Snow Not Far From Home
Buffalo family mourns beloved grandmother
- As the blizzard bore down on Buffalo Christmas Eve, Monique Alexander told her daughter, Casey Maccarone, that she was going out and would be right back. Maccarone, who had seen on social media that stores were shutting down due to the storm, assumed her mom, who was 52, wanted to...
Lost Loved Ones
Trapped in Cars
Dec 28, 2022 10:40 AM CST
In Buffalo, Helpless Families Lost Loved Ones Trapped in Cars
3 storm victims died in their cars, says an Erie County official
- There are tales of amazing rescues out of Buffalo , but also stories of the other type: the tragic deaths of people who became stuck in their cars and couldn't be rescued amid a historic blizzard. NBC News has the stories of families who are mourning lost loved ones. Stasia...
As Snow Buries
US, Japan Faces
Similar Deadly Plight
Dec 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
As Snow Buries US, Japan Faces Similar Deadly Plight
At least 17 are dead, dozens injured in large portions of the nation
- Heavy snow in large swaths of Japan has killed 17 and injured more than 90 people and left hundreds of homes without power, disaster management officials said Monday. Powerful winter fronts have dumped heavy snow in northern regions since last week, stranding hundreds of vehicles on highways, delaying delivery services,...
At Least 37 Dead as
Storm's Misery Continues
Dec 26, 2022 6:29 AM CST
At Least 37 Dead as Storm's Misery Continues
Power is coming back online, but flight delays and cold temps are expected to hang around
- Millions of people hunkered down against a deep freeze Sunday to ride out the winter storm that CNN reports has killed at least 37 people across the United States and is expected to claim more lives after trapping some residents inside houses with heaping snow drifts and knocking out power...
Buffalo Blizzard May Be
Worst in City History
Dec 25, 2022 7:40 AM CST
Buffalo Blizzard May Be Worst in City History
Christmas storm is 'like a Category 3 hurricane with a bunch of snow mixed in'
- The greater Buffalo region is currently doing anything but waxing poetic about a white Christmas, dreaming instead of simpler things like power and heat as the winter storm that battered the nation takes an especially brutal swing at Western New York. Buffalo, no stranger to snow, is currently enduring what...
Storm Knocks Out
Power to Thousands
Dec 17, 2022 4:10 PM CST
Storm Knocks Out Power to Thousands
Parts of Northeast receive 2 feet of snow
- Utility crews raced Saturday to restore power to tens of thousands of customers across New England and New York after a storm dumped 2 feet of snow in some places. More than 160,000 customers in New England were in the dark as of the afternoon and another 20,000...
Atmospheric 'Bowling Ball'
Hits California, Rolls On
Dec 12, 2022 12:49 AM CST
Atmospheric 'Bowling Ball' Hits California, Rolls On
And storm is heading across the country
- An atmospheric river that's also being described as an atmospheric "bowling ball" hit California over the weekend, dumping heavy snow in the Sierra Nevada and more than 7 inches of rain in some parts of southern California, and triggering flood watches across large portions of the state and...
to Dig Bills
Out of Homes
Nov 20, 2022 11:15 AM CST
Fans Mobilize to Dig Bills Out of Homes
Buffalo neighbors show up to clear players' driveways, provide transportation
- Fans showed up at the house of Spencer Brown, a right tackle, with snowblowers. Others brought shovels to the homes of tight ends Dawson Knox and Tommy Sweeney. Somebody cleared tight end Quintin Morris' driveway. Before the Buffalo Bills could fly to Detroit to play Sunday in a city that...
Buffalo Area Buried,
and the Snow Keeps Falling
Nov 19, 2022 7:45 AM CST
Buffalo Area Buried, and the Snow Keeps Falling
Some areas of Western New York already have 5-feet-plus, and it's not supposed to stop till Sunday
- Buffalo is accustomed to snow. This weekend, however, the city and surrounding parts of Western New York are getting a storm for the books, with some areas already buried under several feet of the white stuff, and precipitation expected to continue through Sunday morning. In Orchard Park, about 20 minutes...
Forecast for Buffalo Area
Nov 17, 2022 5:39 AM CST
'Paralyzing' Snowstorm Forecast for Buffalo Area
'Prolonged lake-effect snow event' could dump up to 4 feet of snow on region
- Residents of the Buffalo area have been told to brace for a potentially "historic" early-season snowstorm that could dump up to 4 feet of snow on the region by Saturday morning. The National Weather Service says a "prolonged lake-effect snow event" is developing in western New York state,...
Ice, Even a
Feb 4, 2022 7:21 AM CST
Powerful Storm Brings Snow, Ice, Even a Tornado
Severe winter weather across wide swath of US leaves 350K homes, businesses without power
- About 350,000 homes and businesses lost power across the US on Thursday as freezing rain and snow weighed down tree limbs and encrusted power lines, part of a winter storm that caused a deadly tornado in Alabama, dumped more than a foot of snow in parts of the Midwest,...
Major Winter Storm
Slams East Coast
Jan 29, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Major Winter Storm Slams East Coast
Blizzard warnings issued in 10 states, thousands of flights nixed as snowstorm rages Saturday
- People from New York City to Maine awakened Saturday to half a foot of snow, and forecasters warned that could more than quadruple as a powerful nor'easter kicked up blinding blizzard conditions with high winds and the potential for widespread power outages and coastal flooding. Parts of 10 states...
Beware, East Coast,
Here Comes Kenan
Jan 28, 2022 11:37 AM CST
Beware, East Coast, Here Comes Kenan
Major nor'easter could dump a lot snow on New York City, New England
- The East Coast is bracing itself for a major nor'easter this weekend, with heavy snow, high winds, and cold temps expected to impact 75 million people from South Carolina to Maine. The Weather Channel reports that the winter storm dubbed Kenan—set to form off the Carolinas on Friday,...
Cops: Mom Arrested After
Kicking Kids Out During Storm
Jan 21, 2022 7:20 AM CST
Cops: Mom Arrested After Kicking Kids Out During Storm
One of the Ohio teens was crying as she trudged through 18 inches of snow
- An Ohio mom is facing child endangerment charges after being accused of kicking her two kids out during a snowstorm. Per WKBN , the alleged incident took place Monday, when police say they were called to the Warren home of 38-year-old Eva Harris just after 8am over a fight between the...
Man's 'Unusual Decision'
in Storm Necessitates a Rescue
Jan 18, 2022 7:51 AM CST
Man's 'Unusual Decision' in Storm Necessitates a Rescue
NC hiker who decided to go camping during severe winter weather is saved by team in snowshoes
- As states in the South braced for severe winter weather over the weekend, one North Carolina man made what the
News & Observer
is charitably calling an "unusual decision": He packed up his camping gear and headed into Pisgah National Forest. Perhaps not surprisingly, the adventurous hiker ended up...
Winter Storm Brings
Jan 17, 2022 3:01 PM CST
Winter Storm Brings Massive Snowfall, Dangerous Winds to Northeast
Some areas had more than a foot of snow
- A dangerous winter storm brought significant snowfall, strong thunderstorms, and blustery winds to the northeastern US on a holiday Monday. The storm system dropped a foot or more of snow in parts of New York state, Ohio, and Pennsylvania Sunday night through Monday morning after pummeling parts of the Southeast...
Jan 16, 2022 12:05 PM CST
Southern Storm Ices Roads, Takes Out Power
Thousands lose power across several states
- A dangerous winter storm combining high winds and ice was sweeping through parts of the US Southeast on Sunday, knocking out power, felling trees and fences, and coating roads with a treacherous frigid glaze. Tens of thousands of customers were without power in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.