Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Those Who Catch Cheating
Cheated on Their Ethics Exams
Jun 28, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Those Who Catch Cheating Cheated on Their Ethics Exams
Ernst & Young has to pay a $100M fine to the SEC
- It's a scandal rich in irony. Auditors with the giant accounting firm Ernst & Young—the very people whose job it is to catch cheaters—themselves cheated on exams needed to keep their licenses, reports NPR . But the irony gets richer: The accountants cheated on the
Professor Trying to Unmask
Cheaters Makes Unusual Move
Mar 17, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Professor Trying to Unmask Cheaters Makes Unusual Move
Chapman University's David Berkovitz is suing his students after finding his exams posted online
- Chapman University professor David Berkovitz instructed students not to use class materials or other resources when they completed a midterm and final exam for his business law class from home during the spring 2021 semester. He also instructed students not to copy any part of the exams. He now says...
Pitchers Offer to Strip
to Prove They're Clean
Jun 23, 2021 8:10 PM CDT
Pitchers Offer to Strip to Prove They're Clean
First week of baseball's cheating crackdown is awkward
- The first two days of baseball's crackdown against pitchers putting illegal sticky substances on the ball were awkward for everyone. Jacob deGrom, the Mets' ace, was the first pitcher to be checked, the
New York Times
reports. He was briefly detained when heading to the dugout after the first...
Study: Here's Why People
Cheat, and What Happens
May 9, 2021 3:28 PM CDT
Study: Here's Why People Cheat, and What Happens
495 cheaters explain what made them cheat and what their affair was like
- Why do people cheat and what does that affair look like?
reports a recent study came up with some pretty fascinating answers. Researchers turned to an unnamed US university and Reddit boards focused on relationships to recruit 495 people who copped to cheating. In a study published in...
West Point Reveals Biggest
Cheating Scandal in Decades
Dec 21, 2020 5:03 PM CST
West Point Reveals Biggest Cheating Scandal in Decades
Academy argues the honor code remains intact, and the offending cadets will be punished
- Cheating on a math test at the US Military Academy, which is facing its worst cheating scandal in more than 40 years, can be a national security issue, a West Point law professor says. "There's no excuse for cheating when the fundamental code for cadets is that they...
Problem at Texas A&M:
Test Qs Answered Too Quickly
Dec 17, 2020 8:44 AM CST
Problem at Texas A&M: Test Qs Answered Too Quickly
Students suspected of using Chegg tutoring site to get answers to exams
- Students in an online finance class at Texas A&M were starting to close out the semester when they received an email from the director of the Aggie Honor System Office. "I would like to encourage you in the strongest way to reclaim your personal integrity," read the...
Pandemic Has Caused
'Cheating Crisis' in Chess
Oct 21, 2020 7:15 PM CDT
Pandemic Has Caused 'Cheating Crisis' in Chess
'It has ruined my sabbatical,' says top anti-cheating expert
- The pandemic has led to a surge of popularity for online chess—and a corresponding surge in cheating. The
reports that the widespread use of powerful apps that can calculate near-perfect moves has caused an "atmosphere of paranoia and recrimination" within the game, despite efforts to crack down...
His Poker Wins Defied Logic.
Rivals Think They Know Why
in case you missed it
Sep 27, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
His Poker Wins Defied Logic. Rivals Think They Know Why
Allegations of cheating against Mike Postle roil the world of poker
- He was a decent but unspectacular poker player, but then Mike Postle went on an epic hot streak. The problem? As Brendan I. Koerner reports in a fascinating story at
, Postle's Texas Hold 'Em strategy defied logic. He folded when he shouldn't, stayed in when it...
Their 'Fish Story' Ended
With Felony Convictions
Sep 24, 2020 9:02 AM CDT
Their 'Fish Story' Ended With Felony Convictions
2 pleaded guilty to tampering to influence a fishing contest
- There's a reason a "fish story" has become synonymous with the unbelievable. Two fisherman have pleaded guilty to felony charges for lying about some impressive fish entered in a Utah fishing tournament. Robert Dennett, 45, and Kamron Wootton, 35, are the first people in the state's history...
Gave Away a Little Too Much
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 5, 2020 7:00 AM CDT
Wedding Story Gave Away a Little Too Much
Nikyta Moreno says Robert Palmer was still married to her when he met Lauren Maillian
- A coveted
New York Times
wedding announcement tells the story of how Robert Palmer, 30, and Lauren Maillian, 35, met at a NYC gym, which they'd both joined to get in shape. "In January 2017 that goal changed for both," the Aug. 7
narrative reads, detailing...
Feb 13, 2020 10:55 AM CST
Astros Apologize, Say Cheating Didn't Affect World Series
Star Bregman 'sorry about the choices that were made by our team, the organization, and by me'
- It's time for spring training, and the Houston Astros' first order of business Thursday was a series of apologies for their high-tech cheating . Owner Jim Crane, manager Dusty Baker, and star players Alex Bregman and Jose Altuve all read prepared statements to the media about the sign-stealing mess, reports...
Jan 16, 2020 3:33 PM CST
Cheating Scandal Costs Carlos Beltran Managing Job
Former All-Star had just been hired by the Mets
- Carlos Beltran, who was named in baseball's report as an initiator of the Houston Astros' scheme to steal signs from other teams, has lost his job as manager of the New York Mets—before ever managing a game. The Mets and Beltran "agreed to mutually part ways,"...
MLB Sign-Stealing Mastermind
Loses His Job, Too
Jan 15, 2020 6:33 AM CST
MLB Sign-Stealing Mastermind Loses His Job, Too
Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora is out
- Baseball's newest cheating scandal has just felled it second big-name manager of the week. The Boston Red Sox say they've "parted ways" with Alex Cora, who led the team to a World Series in 2018, reports the
. It was seen as a preemptive strike because...
Coach Provided an Answer
on Cheating Allegation
Dec 26, 2019 7:05 PM CST
Coach Provided an Answer on Cheating Allegation
Herman Franks finally discussed whether Bobby Thomson knew what pitch was coming
- Before anybody put a camera in center field to learn what pitch the catcher was calling for next, there was a telescope and a buzzer. In 1951, the New York Giants beat the Brooklyn Dodgers in a playoff on a famous ninth-inning home run by Bobby Thomson—which became known...
Newspaper 'Outs' Cheating
Husband by Mistake
Dec 1, 2019 5:10 PM CST
Newspaper 'Outs' Cheating Husband by Mistake
Food critic Tom Sietsema hopes it was 'a crank post'
- Cheaters, beware: Even an innocent food critic can end up exposing your unfaithful ways—if, that is, any of the following is real. "Well Tom your latest review is accompanied by a picture of my husband dining with a woman who isn't me!" an unidentified commenter posted...
Wife Won't Like Florida
Man's Excuse for Speeding
Nov 13, 2019 8:11 AM CST
Wife Won't Like Florida Man's Excuse for Speeding
John Pickard allegedly told police he'd been unfaithful
- A Florida man caught driving recklessly told police he "needed to get home in a hurry because he was cheating on his wife." That's according to an arrest affidavit naming John Earl Pickard, 52, who Tarpon Springs police say was driving 90mph in a 55mph zone on...
Exam Proctor Flips,
Admits Accepting Bribes
Oct 2, 2019 11:26 AM CDT
Exam Proctor Flips, Admits Accepting Bribes
Igor Dvorskiy will testify if called: 'LAT'
- A former college exam proctor has agreed to plead guilty and cooperate with investigators in the sweeping college admissions scheme, the AP reports. Court documents filed Tuesday say Igor Dvorskiy, director of the private West Hollywood College Preparatory School, agreed to plead guilty to a single charge of conspiracy to...
Busted Cheating in
Jul 14, 2019 6:41 AM CDT
Chess Grandmaster Busted Cheating in the Bathroom
Igors Rausis says he 'lost my mind'
- One could be forgiven for never having heard of Igors Rausis—probably until the 58-year-old chess grandmaster got himself busted cheating in a tournament with his smartphone in a toilet stall. As the
reports, the International Chess Federation says it caught the Latvian-Czech player "red-handed using his phone...
They Said He Cheated in His
Record Run. Now He's Dead
Jul 6, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
They Said He Cheated in His Record Run. Now He's Dead
Frank Meza, 70, disqualified from Los Angeles Marathon earlier this week, found in LA River
- A record-setting 70-year-old runner who earlier this week had been disqualified from the Los Angeles Marathon amid cheating accusations was found dead Thursday morning in the Los Angeles River, the LA County coroner's office has confirmed to the
. ABC13 reports that the LAPD responded to a body...
Record Run at LA Marathon
Was Actually 'Impossible'
Jul 3, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Record Run at LA Marathon Was Actually 'Impossible'
Frank Meza, 70, disqualified for cheating
- It was a record-setting run—until it wasn't. Frank Meza, a 70-year-old who logged an impressive time of 2:53:10 at the Los Angeles Marathon in March, has been disqualified after cameras caught him violating a couple of rules, per the
Los Angeles Times
. As pointed out by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.