Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest copyright infringement news, cases, and stories on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Big-Name Authors Sue
OpenAI for 'Systematic Theft'
Sep 21, 2023 6:27 AM CDT
Big-Name Authors Sue OpenAI for 'Systematic Theft'
John Grisham, George RR Martin join lawsuit alleging pirated works helped train ChatGPT
- A new group of authors is suing OpenAI, alleging "flagrant and harmful infringements" on their copyrights through the company's use of pirated books to train the AI chatbot ChatGPT. "At the heart of these algorithms is systematic theft on a mass scale," reads the complaint, filed...
8K Authors to
Stop the Theft
Jul 19, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
8K Authors to AI Producers: Stop the Theft
Margaret Atwood, James Patterson, others demand compensation for work used to train AI
- More than 8,500 authors are asking tech companies to avoid using their copyrighted work to train AI systems, unless those companies are willing to pay up. "Millions of copyrighted books, articles, essays, and poetry provide the 'food' for AI systems, endless meals for which there has been...
Judge Weighs In on Legal
Fight Over Banana Art
Jun 14, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Judge Weighs In on Legal Fight Over Banana Art
Joe Morford fails to show Maurizio Cattelan's 'Comedian' copied his earlier creation
- The Italian artist who stuck a banana to a wall with duct tape wasn't copying the work of a contemporary who taped a banana and an orange to two panels and called it art years earlier. A US district judge for the Southern District of Florida ruled against California-based...
Ed Sheeran Shares What
He Thinks Swayed Jury
May 10, 2023 12:05 PM CDT
Ed Sheeran Shares What He Thinks Swayed Jury
After his copyright trial, singer cites '101 songs' that use the same 4 chords
- In the view of Ed Sheeran, the key to persuading a jury that he didn't steal from Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" wasn't the performance of his hit song "Thinking Out Loud" in court, or really anything that the pop star did himself....
Ed Sheeran: 'I'm Done' With
Music If I Lose Lawsuit
May 3, 2023 8:37 AM CDT
Ed Sheeran: 'I'm Done' With Music If I Lose Lawsuit
Singer-songwriter also lets guard down to talk about wife's cancer diagnosis: 'It was horrible'
- A verdict is imminent in the six-year copyright infringement case against Ed Sheeran, which is being played out in a Manhattan federal court. If a guilty verdict comes in against Sheeran, however, the 32-year-old singer-songwriter says he'll be washing his hands of more than just this longtime legal battle...
Ed Sheeran Sings,
Plays Guitar in Court
Apr 28, 2023 6:10 AM CDT
Ed Sheeran Sings, Plays Guitar in Court
Singer denies ripping off Marvin Gaye song
- If any Ed Sheeran fans survived the jury selection process for the singer's copyright trial in Manhattan federal court, they had a treat on Thursday: The English singer played guitar and sang parts of his hit " Thinking Out Loud ," which the heirs of Marvin Gaye's co-writer...
Hit by Drake, the Weeknd
Went Viral. It Wasn't Theirs
Apr 19, 2023 8:48 AM CDT
Hit by Drake, the Weeknd Went Viral. It Wasn't Theirs
We have a new can of worms, courtesy of AI
- A song that went viral on streaming platforms over the weekend appeared to feature Drake and The Weeknd trading verses about fellow singer Selena Gomez. But as Mashable reports, "Heart On My Sleeve" was both "very good and very fake." The AI-generated tune had actually come from...
Over a Pretty
Penny to Sting,
Every Single Day
in case you missed it
Apr 9, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
Diddy Forks Over a Pretty Penny to Sting, Every Single Day
Rapper reveals he pays ex-Police frontman $5K daily for sampling 'Every Breath You Take'
- Sting likely doesn't care whether the name on Sean Combs' bank account is "Puff Daddy," "Diddy," "P. Diddy," or plain old "Sean Combs"—he just wants his regular check in the mail from that account. That's because for years, the...
Jun 5, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Mariah Carey Sued for $20M Over Holiday Hit
New Orleans bandleader says he wrote his own 'All I Want for Christmas Is You' first
- A bandleader who co-wrote "All I Want for Christmas Is You"—not the famous, top-selling song, but another one—has decided that what he wants is $20 million. Andy Stone has filed a federal lawsuit against Mariah Carey; her co-writer, Walter Afanasieff; and Sony, saying they "intentionally...
Professor Trying to Unmask
Cheaters Makes Unusual Move
Mar 17, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Professor Trying to Unmask Cheaters Makes Unusual Move
Chapman University's David Berkovitz is suing his students after finding his exams posted online
- Chapman University professor David Berkovitz instructed students not to use class materials or other resources when they completed a midterm and final exam for his business law class from home during the spring 2021 semester. He also instructed students not to copy any part of the exams. He now says...
Mar 7, 2022 2:07 PM CST
One Song, Two Different Copyright Lawsuits
Dua Lipa sued twice over her hit 'Levitating'
- It's one thing for a singer to get sued for copyright infringement over a smash hit. It's another to get sued twice, by two different groups of artists, over the same song. This is the fate of Dua Lipa, reports
. Last week, the Florida reggae group Artikal...
She Tried to
Sell a Clapton
Bootleg for $11.
He Filed Suit
Dec 18, 2021 6:30 AM CST
She Tried to Sell a Clapton Bootleg for $11. He Filed Suit
German court rules in favor of rock star in copyright infringement case
- A German judge has sided with Eric Clapton in a copyright infringement case that started with a CD being listed on eBay for just over $11. Deutsche Welle reports that on Wednesday, a Duesseldorf regional court ruled a 55-year-old widow who'd tried to sell a bootlegged CD of some...
Faces 514 Years in Prison
Sep 23, 2021 11:37 AM CDT
Accused Streamer Faces 514 Years in Prison
Bill Carrasquillo allegedly stole copyrighted content from cable firms, sold it to his own subscribers
- For most people, getting arrested is, at the very least, an inconvenience. For Bill Omar Carrasquillo, his Tuesday detention was "100% a relief." That's what the 35-year-old YouTuber known as "Omi in a Hellcat" told FOX 29 Philadelphia on Wednesday outside his Swedesboro, NJ, home after...
Dua Lipa Posted
Pic of Herself
Now, a Lawsuit
Jul 10, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Dua Lipa Posted Pic of Herself on Instagram. Now, a Lawsuit
Complaint against singer alleges she didn't have right to put paparazzi pic on social media
- Someone took a picture of Dua Lipa on an airport line two years ago, and now she's being sued for posting it. Yahoo Entertainment reports the 25-year-old Grammy Award-winning singer was hit by a complaint brought by Integral Images, which is seeking more than $150,000 and a jury...
Tracy Chapman Scoops Up
$450K From Nicki Minaj in Suit
Jan 8, 2021 1:07 PM CST
Tracy Chapman Scoops Up $450K From Nicki Minaj in Suit
Controversy centered on Minaj's song 'Sorry' using lyrics from Chapman's 'Baby Can I Hold You'
- A copyright infringement lawsuit involving Nicki Minaj and Tracy Chapman has seemingly been put to rest. Per documents filed in a California federal court and reviewed by Pitchfork , Chapman, 56, who's best known for her late '80s hit "Fast Car," has accepted a $450,000 offer...
Star Drops Trump Suit Over
'Rockin' in the Free World'
Dec 8, 2020 3:32 PM CST
Star Drops Trump Suit Over 'Rockin' in the Free World'
President, whose rallies have played the song, said he 'didn’t love it anyway'
- Neil Young has dropped his copyright infringement lawsuit against President Trump, whose rallies have played songs including "Rockin' in the Free World" and "Devil’s Sidewalk." Young, who said Trump rallies have used his songs since 2015 without a license, filed the suit in New York after...
Oct 5, 2020 7:05 PM CDT
Legal Battle of the Bands Is Over
Supreme Court leaves 'Stairway to Heaven' with Led Zeppelin
- The six-year legal back-and-forth over "Stairway to Heaven" has ended, with Led Zeppelin holding on to ownership of the song. The US Supreme Court announced Monday that it won't take up the case, leaving intact a March ruling by an appeals court that favored the band, the BBC...
He 'Did Wrong' by Ono Before.
Suit Says He's Doing It Again
Oct 2, 2020 9:15 AM CDT
He 'Did Wrong' by Ono Before. Suit Says He's Doing It Again
She sues John Lennon's former assistant in copyright battle going back decades
- For decades, Yoko One has been involved in a legal skirmish with a former assistant to late husband John Lennon, and the battle has just ramped up again. TMZ reports the 87-year-old artist and activist has filed a lawsuit against Frederic Seaman, whom she accuses of copyright infringement and breach...
Judge on Markle Lawsuit:
a 'House of Cards' May Fall
Sep 30, 2020 12:18 PM CDT
Judge on Markle Lawsuit: a 'House of Cards' May Fall
Duchess of Sussex hits bump in complaint against Associated Newspapers Limited
- Meghan Markle suffered an early loss this week in her lawsuit against a UK tabloid publisher.
reports that Associated Newspapers Limited, which puts out the
Mail on Sunday
, can use as part of its legal defense material from a behind-the-scenes book that ADL insists Markle...
in case you missed it
Aug 23, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Desperate Mom Sold Honey. Then Came Mel Gibson's Lawyer
Mel Gibson's attorney contacts unemployed Chilean woman for selling 'Miel Gibson' product
- Trying to make ends meet while in coronavirus quarantine has been a struggle for millions around the world, including in Chile, which has had one of the most rigid lockdowns. Yohana Agurto, a Chilean single mom of four who hasn't been teaching during the pandemic, was desperate to bring...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Young Would-Be Voters Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
Man Flees After Child Exposed to Fentanyl Dies at Wife's Daycare
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.