Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest copyright infringement news, cases, and stories on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jun 5, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Mariah Carey Sued for $20M Over Holiday Hit
New Orleans bandleader says he wrote his own 'All I Want for Christmas Is You' first
- A bandleader who co-wrote "All I Want for Christmas Is You"—not the famous, top-selling song, but another one—has decided that what he wants is $20 million. Andy Stone has filed a federal lawsuit against Mariah Carey; her co-writer, Walter Afanasieff; and Sony, saying they "intentionally...
Professor Trying to Unmask
Cheaters Makes Unusual Move
Mar 17, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Professor Trying to Unmask Cheaters Makes Unusual Move
Chapman University's David Berkovitz is suing his students after finding his exams posted online
- Chapman University professor David Berkovitz instructed students not to use class materials or other resources when they completed a midterm and final exam for his business law class from home during the spring 2021 semester. He also instructed students not to copy any part of the exams. He now says...
Mar 7, 2022 2:07 PM CST
One Song, Two Different Copyright Lawsuits
Dua Lipa sued twice over her hit 'Levitating'
- It's one thing for a singer to get sued for copyright infringement over a smash hit. It's another to get sued twice, by two different groups of artists, over the same song. This is the fate of Dua Lipa, reports
. Last week, the Florida reggae group Artikal...
She Tried to
Sell a Clapton
Bootleg for $11.
He Filed Suit
Dec 18, 2021 6:30 AM CST
She Tried to Sell a Clapton Bootleg for $11. He Filed Suit
German court rules in favor of rock star in copyright infringement case
- A German judge has sided with Eric Clapton in a copyright infringement case that started with a CD being listed on eBay for just over $11. Deutsche Welle reports that on Wednesday, a Duesseldorf regional court ruled a 55-year-old widow who'd tried to sell a bootlegged CD of some...
Faces 514 Years in Prison
Sep 23, 2021 11:37 AM CDT
Accused Streamer Faces 514 Years in Prison
Bill Carrasquillo allegedly stole copyrighted content from cable firms, sold it to his own subscribers
- For most people, getting arrested is, at the very least, an inconvenience. For Bill Omar Carrasquillo, his Tuesday detention was "100% a relief." That's what the 35-year-old YouTuber known as "Omi in a Hellcat" told FOX 29 Philadelphia on Wednesday outside his Swedesboro, NJ, home after...
Dua Lipa Posted
Pic of Herself
Now, a Lawsuit
Jul 10, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Dua Lipa Posted Pic of Herself on Instagram. Now, a Lawsuit
Complaint against singer alleges she didn't have right to put paparazzi pic on social media
- Someone took a picture of Dua Lipa on an airport line two years ago, and now she's being sued for posting it. Yahoo Entertainment reports the 25-year-old Grammy Award-winning singer was hit by a complaint brought by Integral Images, which is seeking more than $150,000 and a jury...
Tracy Chapman Scoops Up
$450K From Nicki Minaj in Suit
Jan 8, 2021 1:07 PM CST
Tracy Chapman Scoops Up $450K From Nicki Minaj in Suit
Controversy centered on Minaj's song 'Sorry' using lyrics from Chapman's 'Baby Can I Hold You'
- A copyright infringement lawsuit involving Nicki Minaj and Tracy Chapman has seemingly been put to rest. Per documents filed in a California federal court and reviewed by Pitchfork , Chapman, 56, who's best known for her late '80s hit "Fast Car," has accepted a $450,000 offer...
Star Drops Trump Suit Over
'Rockin' in the Free World'
Dec 8, 2020 3:32 PM CST
Star Drops Trump Suit Over 'Rockin' in the Free World'
President, whose rallies have played the song, said he 'didn’t love it anyway'
- Neil Young has dropped his copyright infringement lawsuit against President Trump, whose rallies have played songs including "Rockin' in the Free World" and "Devil’s Sidewalk." Young, who said Trump rallies have used his songs since 2015 without a license, filed the suit in New York after...
Oct 5, 2020 7:05 PM CDT
Legal Battle of the Bands Is Over
Supreme Court leaves 'Stairway to Heaven' with Led Zeppelin
- The six-year legal back-and-forth over "Stairway to Heaven" has ended, with Led Zeppelin holding on to ownership of the song. The US Supreme Court announced Monday that it won't take up the case, leaving intact a March ruling by an appeals court that favored the band, the BBC...
He 'Did Wrong' by Ono Before.
Suit Says He's Doing It Again
Oct 2, 2020 9:15 AM CDT
He 'Did Wrong' by Ono Before. Suit Says He's Doing It Again
She sues John Lennon's former assistant in copyright battle going back decades
- For decades, Yoko One has been involved in a legal skirmish with a former assistant to late husband John Lennon, and the battle has just ramped up again. TMZ reports the 87-year-old artist and activist has filed a lawsuit against Frederic Seaman, whom she accuses of copyright infringement and breach...
Judge on Markle Lawsuit:
a 'House of Cards' May Fall
Sep 30, 2020 12:18 PM CDT
Judge on Markle Lawsuit: a 'House of Cards' May Fall
Duchess of Sussex hits bump in complaint against Associated Newspapers Limited
- Meghan Markle suffered an early loss this week in her lawsuit against a UK tabloid publisher.
reports that Associated Newspapers Limited, which puts out the
Mail on Sunday
, can use as part of its legal defense material from a behind-the-scenes book that ADL insists Markle...
in case you missed it
Aug 23, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Desperate Mom Sold Honey. Then Came Mel Gibson's Lawyer
Mel Gibson's attorney contacts unemployed Chilean woman for selling 'Miel Gibson' product
- Trying to make ends meet while in coronavirus quarantine has been a struggle for millions around the world, including in Chile, which has had one of the most rigid lockdowns. Yohana Agurto, a Chilean single mom of four who hasn't been teaching during the pandemic, was desperate to bring...
Neil Young Sues
Over Use of His Songs
Aug 5, 2020 1:45 AM CDT
Neil Young Sues Trump Campaign Over Use of His Songs
Singer changes his mind on lawsuit
- Neil Young is taking his fight with President Trump a step further. The singer is now suing the Trump campaign for copyright infringement over its use of his music at campaign events, Fox News reports. Young spoke out after two of his songs were played at Trump's Mount Rushmore...
Jul 30, 2019 7:40 AM CDT
A 'Rare Takedown' Over Katy Perry Song
9-person panel decides singer's 'Dark Horse' sounds too much like Christian tune 'Joyful Noise'
- A jury's verdict that Katy Perry's 2013 hit "Dark Horse" improperly copied a 2009 Christian rap song represents a rare takedown of a pop superstar and her elite producer by a relatively unknown artist, and sets up a battle over damages that will begin Tuesday. Monday's...
Coffee Shop: Big Company Has
'Ridiculous' Claim on Word 'Cat'
May 28, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
Coffee Shop: Big Company Has 'Ridiculous' Claim on Word 'Cat'
Cat and Cloud Coffee is pushing back on Caterpillar's trademark infringement claim
- The world of copyright and trademark infringement is a tricky one that often involves David vs. Goliath battles—a truth that a coffee shop in Santa Cruz, Calif., is finding out the hard way. KSBW reports that Cat and Cloud Coffee first received a cease-and-desist order last August from none...
Apr 10, 2019 7:48 AM CDT
Warner Bros. Gets Trump Video Pulled From Twitter
Campaign clip yanked after Warner Bros. complains about use of 'Dark Knight Rises' music
- President Trump posted a 2020 campaign video on Twitter late Tuesday afternoon, and in just a few hours it racked up more than a million views, per BuzzFeed . But if you haven't seen it by now, you may not get to anytime soon, as legal action from Warner Bros....
by Your Dance
Feb 15, 2019 12:25 PM CST
Sorry, Carlton, Copyright Office Unimpressed by Your Dance
It's a 'simple routine,' not something that requires a copyright, declares official
- Bad news for Alfonso Ribeiro, aka Carlton: The "Carlton Dance" isn't a thing , at least not in the eyes of the Copyright Office. The three-step dance made famous by Ribeiro's character in the
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
"is a simple routine that is not registrable as...
Accused of Stealing
Dec 6, 2018 10:30 AM CST
Fortnite Makers Accused of Stealing Dance Moves
2 Milly is first artist to allege copyright infringement
- Characters in the wildly popular video game Fortnite can snag celebratory emotes—read dances—based on real moves. There's The Floss , The Worm , and the Electro Shuffle . There's the Turk Dance as featured on
scene . And, to 2 Milly's dismay, his Milly Rock...
Tracy Chapman Sues to
Block Nicki Minaj Song
Oct 24, 2018 3:03 AM CDT
Tracy Chapman Sues to Block Nicki Minaj Song
She accuses Minaj of copyright infringement
- Rapper Nicki Minaj is being sued for sampling a Tracy Chapman song without permission. Chapman filed a copyright infringement lawsuit Monday in a Los Angeles federal court. The Grammy-winning singer says Minaj's unreleased track, "Sorry," incorporates the lyrics and vocal melody from her 1988 single, " Baby...
Statue of Liberty Goof
Costs the USPS $3.5M
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 8, 2018 6:37 AM CDT
Statue of Liberty Goof Costs the USPS $3.5M
It used an image of a Las Vegas version in its 2011 stamp
- The United States Postal Service's money woes just got $3.5 million worse, and the Statue of Liberty is to blame. A judge ruled last week that the agency did commit copyright infringement when it used an image of Robert S. Davidson's Statue of Liberty on a stamp...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Anne Heche 'Not Expected to Survive'
Steve Martin: 'This Is, Weirdly, It' for Me
Everyone Is Saying the Same Thing About Merrick Garland
Trump World Reportedly Worried About a Rat
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.