Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Calif. Surfer 'Still in Disbelief
I'm Alive' After Shark Attack
Oct 8, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Calif. Surfer 'Still in Disbelief I'm Alive' After Shark Attack
Great white clamped down on Eric Steinley's left leg, damaging artery
Two surgeries later, Eric Steinley is "still in disbelief that I'm alive" after coming face to face with a great white shark. The surfer says he was dragged underwater Sunday at California's Salmon Creek Beach when a great white confirmed to be at least 10 feet...
Photographer Catches Moment
Shark Took a Bite Out of Teen
Sep 18, 2021 12:45 PM CDT
Photographer Catches Moment Shark Took a Bite Out of Teen
Former surfer was shooting from the beach and caught whole incident on video
- Conditions were perfect for surfing at New Smyrna Beach in Florida, thanks to big waves from Hurricane Larry. Conditions were perfect for hungry sharks, too, however—thanks to mullet and other fish hanging out at the sandbars where waves were breaking, per CNN . Venturing into this perfect storm was 16-year-old...
Into Home, Fatally
Aug 26, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Kitesurfer Slams Into Home, Fatally
Friend said cancer survivor Fred Salter was 'a very intelligent waterman'
- A kitesurfer hoping to enjoy the waves in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., died Wednesday when a gust of wind lifted him off the beach, carried him 400 feet, then slammed him into the side of a home, WESH reports. An orange kite was seen protruding from a second-floor balcony of the...
Shark Attack Victim
Tried 'to Warn Others'
May 18, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Shark Attack Victim Tried 'to Warn Others'
Australia victim is first in country since November
- A surfer was killed by a shark on Tuesday off the east coast of Australia, police said. The man, said to be in his 50s, had been surfing off Forster, 190 miles north of Sydney, when he was attacked late in the morning, a police statement said. Onlookers pulled the...
Surfer Plays the Hero
in Beach Rescue
Jan 2, 2021 9:09 AM CST
Surfer Plays the Hero in Beach Rescue
Mikey Wright helps save a struggling swimmer in Hawaii
- A pro surfer helped prevent what could have been a beach tragedy in Hawaii, and it's captured in video you can see here . Australia's Mikey Wright was filming the surf from the beach in Oahu on New Year's Eve when it became clear that a swimmer was...
Don't Use a Lock Box
in case you missed it
Dec 6, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Surfers' Warning: Don't Use a Lock Box
Thieves can bust into them, as California surfers have learned
- California surfers say they're "under attack" by car thieves—and warn that anyone else using a lock box is vulnerable. Surfers often use lock boxes to hide their car keys while surfing at beaches in San Francisco. The problem, as the
San Francisco Chronicle
reports, is that lock...
Aussie Surfer Believed
Dead in Shark Attack
Oct 9, 2020 7:23 AM CDT
Aussie Surfer Believed Dead in Shark Attack
Police are searching for him, though witnesses say he couldn't have survived
- A surfer is believed to have died off the south coast of Western Australia after numerous witnesses saw him attacked by a shark. Police are searching for the local man who suffered a "serious shark bite" while surfing at Kelp Beds Beach in Wylie Bay near Esperance just before...
'a Bit Weird.'
Then He Saw
Oct 8, 2020 8:17 AM CDT
Surfer Felt 'a Bit Weird.' Then He Saw the Footage
Drone captures Bull shark almost touching Matt Wilkinson
- When Matt Wilkinson saw the footage, he could only put his head in his hands. He had heard a splash as he paddled his surfboard off the coast of Ballina in northern New South Wales, Australia, on Wednesday. "[I] looked around and couldn't see anything,” the world...
He Thought He'd
Lost His Board
an Instagram Tag
Sep 21, 2020 1:26 PM CDT
He Thought He'd Lost His Board Forever. Then, an Instagram Tag
Doug Falter's surfboard, lost in wipeout in Hawaii in 2018, turns up 5K miles away
- Filipino Giovanne Branzuela was pretty stoked over the summer to buy a weathered-looking surfboard for $40 from a neighbor, who'd purchased it from local fishermen who'd found it floating off the island of Sarangani. They'd figured it had fallen from a yacht cruising in the area. Branzuela...
Killed by a
Jul 12, 2020 12:50 PM CDT
Teen Surfer Killed by a 'Really Big Great White'
Mani Hart-Deville, 15, lost his life in Australia on Saturday
- A teen surfer died Saturday after a suspected shark attack left him with severe leg injuries, Australia's News Network reports. Seems 15-year-old Mani Hart-Deville was surfing in New South Wales, Australia, when the shark bit him and other surfers dragged the wounded boy to shore on Wooli Beach. "...
Jun 7, 2020 8:27 AM CDT
Shark Kills Aussie Surfer
Great white kills 60-year-old in 3rd fatal attack this year
- A great white shark attacked a 60-year-old Australian surfer Sunday morning, causing injuries to the man's left leg that proved fatal despite two men who fought off the shark and dragged the victim to shore for first aid, reports Sky News . The beach in South Kingscliff, New South Wales,...
Surfers Took to the Water,
and 5 Didn't Make It Out Alive
May 13, 2020 11:59 AM CDT
Surfers Took to the Water, and 5 Didn't Make It Out Alive
Dutch surfers caught in high winds, thick foam off The Hague
- At least five surfers have died in a storm off The Hague, Netherlands. The men, aged 22 to 38, were described as experienced, with some reportedly serving as lifeguards and surf school instructors, per the
. They'd been among a group of 10 surfers and swimmers who set out...
Shark Kills Calif. Surfer
May 10, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
Shark Kills Calif. Surfer
26-year-old man was within 100 yards of shore at Manresa State Beach
- A surfer was killed in a shark attack off a Northern California beach, state park officials said Saturday. The 26-year-old man was surfing off Manresa State Beach on the northern end of Monterey Bay around 1:30pm when he was attacked by an unknown shark species, the California State Parks...
Belligerent Surfer Fined $1K
for Ignoring Virus Closure
Mar 30, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Belligerent Surfer Fined $1K for Ignoring Virus Closure
Many beaches in California are closed due to COVID-19
- Much of California's coastline is closed amid the coronavirus pandemic—but on Saturday morning, a surfer who apparently really needed his fix was fined $1,000 for ignoring the rules, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. A Los Angeles County lifeguard at Manhattan Beach ordered the man to stay out...
One of Those
Mar 21, 2020 8:30 AM CDT
Surfers' Grisly Find: 'Like One of Those
Woman's body found in California waters; Orange County officials deem death 'suspicious'
- A morning in California waters turned gruesome for a bunch of surfers this week when they stumbled across a woman's body—a death now being deemed "suspicious" by local officials. The San Clemente Times reports that the surfers came across the body around 8am Wednesday, in the ocean...
Everyone Said Kite Surfer
Had 'Drifted Out to Sea'
Nov 30, 2019 2:03 PM CST
Everyone Said Kite Surfer Had 'Drifted Out to Sea'
On Thanksgiving, he triggered a Coast Guard search
- The image was scary: a kite surfer drifting out to sea. But this story had a happy ending after the unidentified surfer managed to find dry land, the
Press of Atlantic City
reports. It all began Thursday afternoon when a kite surfer called in saying his kite had malfunctioned and...
He Proposed While They Surfed.
Then the Ring Fell In
Nov 15, 2019 2:00 PM CST
He Proposed While They Surfed. Then the Ring Fell In
Chris Garth proposes to girlfriend Lauren Oiye in Honolulu
- A Hawaii man was surfing with his girlfriend when, instead of hanging 10, he knelt down on one knee on his board and proposed, per the AP . Hawaii News Now reported that Lauren Oiye said yes just before Chris Garth dropped the ring in the ocean. Multiple photographers nearby captured...
Shark Weekend: 3 People
Are Attacked at One Beach
Aug 5, 2019 3:13 PM CDT
Shark Weekend: 3 People Are Attacked at One Beach
None of the injuries was serious
- A Florida beach that has had a series of shark attacks this summer had three more over the weekend. In separate attacks, sharks bit two people Saturday at New Smyrna Beach within 30 minutes. On Sunday, another person in the water was attacked, People reports. None of the injuries was...
Know It Would
Happen This Fast'
Apr 8, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
Surprise Surf Champ: 'Didn't Know It Would Happen This Fast'
Caroline Marks, 17, beats 3-time world champ in season opener, has eye on world championship
- "I didn't know it would happen this fast." Those were the words of Caroline Marks on Monday after she claimed the championship trophy for the World Surf League's season opener at Australia's Duranbah Beach. What prompted those words: She's the league's youngest competitor...
Surfer Breaks Record
for Biggest-Ever Wave
Apr 30, 2018 4:33 AM CDT
Surfer Breaks Record for Biggest-Ever Wave
Brazil's Rodrigo Koxa mastered 80-foot wave
- A Brazilian surfer has claimed the "Biggest Wave" award—and a place in the record books—for mastering a monster wave big enough to wash away Godzilla. Officials at the World Surf League determined that Rodrigo Koxa set a new record last November for the biggest wave ever surfed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
Decrepit Zero-Bedroom Home Sells for 'Head-Scratcher' Price
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
Moon Knight Star Dies 2 Days After Trailer Released
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.