Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Walks Into FBI Office,
Confesses to Unsolved Murder
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 16, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Man Walks Into FBI Office, Confesses to Unsolved Murder
John Michael Irmer now charged in 1979 death of Susan Marcia Rose
- In 1979, 24-year-old Susan Marcia Rose was found dead of multiple blunt force injuries to her head on a Boston street, and her murderer was never caught. But last month, John Michael Irmer walked into an FBI field office in Oregon, where he was living, and confessed to the crime,...
39 Years After 'Baby Mary'
Found Dead, an Arrest
Sep 11, 2023 1:58 AM CDT
39 Years After 'Baby Mary' Found Dead, an Arrest
New Jersey mother charged in her newborn's death
- Almost four decades ago, two boys reported to police that they'd found the body of a baby in a secluded, wooded part of New Jersey on the morning of Christmas Eve in 1984. Responding officers found the newborn girl's body, with the umbilical cord still attached, wrapped in...
NY to Revisit Case of Kids Who
Set Out for Concert, Vanished
Aug 30, 2023 2:13 PM CDT
NY to Revisit Case of Kids Who Set Out for Concert, Vanished
'Rolling Stone' looked at the 50-year search for Mitchel Weiser and Bonnie Bickwit
calls them "extraordinary developments" in the wake of its investigation into the 1973 disappearance of Mitchel Weiser, 16, and Bonnie Bickwit, 15. The two New Yorkers set out for the Summer Jam concert and vanished—and now Gov. Kathy Hochul has told the State Police to...
DA: We Know Who Killed
the 'Lady of the Dunes'
Aug 29, 2023 8:29 AM CDT
DA: We Know Who Killed the 'Lady of the Dunes'
Authorities conclude Guy Rockwell Muldavin killed wife Ruth Marie Terry on Cape Cod in 1974
- Authorities in Massachusetts on Monday concluded a woman whose mutilated body was discovered on Cape Cod nearly 50 years ago was killed by her husband. The announcement by the Cape and Islands District Attorney Robert Galibois brings to a close one of the state's most famous cold cases, per...
37 Years Later,
Cops Think They
Know What Happened
to Missing Teen
Aug 29, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
37 Years Later, Cops Think They Know What Happened to Missing Teen
Susan Robin Bender might have been killed, buried in Yosemite National Park
- Nearly four decades after a California 15-year-old went missing, authorities may know what happened to her. The case of Susan Robin Bender , who hasn't been seen since 1986, was reopened in 2021, and earlier this month, police announced an arrest had been made. Court documents indicate the suspect may...
36 Years Later, Police
Solve Hiker's Murder
Aug 28, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
36 Years Later, Police Solve Hiker's Murder
Cathy Sposito was killed by a high school student in Arizona, says sheriff
- A young college student who was brutally killed on a popular hiking trail in Arizona decades ago was the victim of a serial predator who took his own life years later, authorities say. Yavapai County Sheriff David Rhodes announced that DNA evidence indicates Bryan Scott Bennett was the man responsible...
Mother Sentenced in Slaying
of Her Newborn in 1992
Aug 23, 2023 5:51 PM CDT
Mother Sentenced in Slaying of Her Newborn in 1992
Infant girl was found in a South Carolina river
- A South Carolina woman was given a life sentence Wednesday in the 1992 death of her newborn daughter. Stacy Michelle Costner Rabon, 50, had been found guilty of homicide by child abuse this month by a York County jury. She'll be eligible for parole in 2031 because she was...
Blood, Hair Yield Leads in
AC/DC Manager's 1993 Murder
Aug 22, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Blood, Hair Yield Leads in AC/DC Manager's 1993 Murder
Inquiry identifies person of interest, long since dead
- Australian authorities say they've identified a person of interest in the murder of AC/DC manager Crispin Dye some three decades after the fact. Dye, 41, a musician in his own right, was celebrating the release of his first solo album under the name "Cris Kemp" in a suburb...
Her Name Was
Unique. The Dangers
She Faced Were 'Common'
Aug 20, 2023 9:01 AM CDT
Her Name Was Unique. The Dangers She Faced Were 'Common'
'Washington Post' looks back on coverage of murdered mom, what everyone got wrong
- When Monica Hesse was a young reporter, she covered the story of Unique Harris, a 24-year-old single mom of two young boys who vanished from her DC apartment in October 2010, while she was hosting a sleepover for her kids and their 9-year-old cousin. It was a case that went...
After Citizen's Tip, a Big
Find in a South Florida Lake
in case you missed it
Aug 13, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
After Citizen's Tip, a Big Find in a South Florida Lake
Investigators looking into missing-persons cold cases find 32 vehicles submerged in Doral
- Divers in South Florida on the hunt for evidence tied to missing-persons cold cases have hundreds of sites on their "to search" list—but they may have just hit the motherlode at one location. CNN reports that a diving team from the nonprofit United Search Corps found 32 cars...
Cops: For Years, Girl's Killer
Acted Like 'Friend' of the Family
Jul 25, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Cops: For Years, Girl's Killer Acted Like 'Friend' of the Family
Former pastor David Zandstra charged with 1975 killing of another pastor's daughter
- A former Pennsylvania pastor who reported the disappearance of a neighboring pastor's daughter when she failed to turn up at summer Bible camp in 1975 has admitted to murdering the girl who refused to remove her clothing for him. Eight-year-old Gretchen Harrington had set out from her home on...
Tupac Search Warrant
Was About an Alleged Witness
Jul 20, 2023 2:12 PM CDT
Tupac Search Warrant Was About an Alleged Witness
Duane Keith Davis, 60, was allegedly in the same car as the shooter
- NBC News has the first details regarding the search warrant executed this week regarding the murder of Tupac Shakur in 1996. The outlet reports that Vegas police searched a home linked to 60-year-old Duane Keith Davis, who police suspect was in the shooter's vehicle. In fact, the suspected...
Canada Cracks One of Its
Best Known Cold Cases
Jul 6, 2023 8:22 AM CDT
Canada Cracks One of Its Best Known Cold Cases
Woman murdered in 1975 identified as American businesswoman Jewell Langford
- The victim in one of Canada's best-known cold cases was an American woman, investigators have confirmed almost 50 years after her body was found in the Nation River in eastern Ontario. Investigators from the Ontario Provincial Police used forensic genealogy to identify the woman known as the "Nation...
Killer Signed the
Guest Book at Her Funeral
Jun 24, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Killer Signed the Guest Book at Her Funeral
'Texas Monthly' looks at the 1987 murder of Susan Woods, and how everyone assumed her husband did it
- When 30-year-old Susan Woods was found in her bathtub in 1987 in Stephenville, Texas, the victim of a brutal rape and murder, "everyone in Stephenville knew who did it," writes Bryan Burrough at the
. That would be her husband, Michael Woods, a long-haired, motorcycle-riding non-local who...
Vatican: Let's Look at New
Leads Over Missing Teen
Jun 23, 2023 7:53 AM CDT
Vatican: Let's Look at New Leads Over Missing Teen
40 years after 15-year-old Emanuela Orlandi vanished, new hope for solving her cold case
- Exactly 40 years after the teenage daughter of a Vatican employee disappeared, the Vatican said Thursday that new leads "worthy of further investigation" had surfaced hopes of finally getting to the bottom of one of the Holy See's enduring mysteries. Emanuela Orlandi vanished June 22, 1983, after leaving...
in 1999 Deaths
of Teenage Girls
Jun 15, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
Killer Receives Life Sentence in 1999 Deaths of Teenage Girls
DNA testing tied Coley McCraney to the slayings
- An Alabama judge sentenced a man to life imprisonment without possibility of parole on Thursday, bringing a close to the case of the slayings of two teenage girls in 1999. Coley McCraney was convicted of capital murder in April by a jury that decided the sentence, which the judge was...
After 25 Years, Serial Killer's
Fourth Victim Identified
Jun 9, 2023 6:03 AM CDT
After 25 Years, Serial Killer's Fourth Victim Identified
Kerry Ann Cummings' family last heard from her in 1997
- For more than 25 years, family members wondered what had happened to Kerry Ann Cummings. Thanks to forensic genealogy, they now have closure, but her fate was a grim one. Investigators say Cummings, who was 25 years old and suffering from untreated mental illness when her family last heard from...
Victim in City's
in case you missed it
Jun 4, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
Victim in City's 'Oldest, Most Infamous' Cold Case Identified
'Trunk Lady' now has a name: Sylvia June Atherton
- A Florida city's "oldest and most infamous cold case" has been solved, 54 years later. A woman's partially clothed body, strangled with a Western-style bolo tie and wrapped in a plastic bag, was found inside a black steamer trunk in the woods behind a St. Petersburg restaurant...
'I Don't Want to
Live Life Anymore
May 31, 2023 11:43 AM CDT
'I Don't Want to Live Life Anymore Without Confessing'
Tony Peralta told police he couldn't live with the guilt of killing landlord 15 years ago
- Police officers found Tony Peralta earlier this month sitting on a curb not far from the convenience store in a small southeastern New Mexico community where he borrowed a cellphone—so he could call 911 and confess to killing his landlord 15 years earlier. Sweating and taking puffs from his...
3rd Man Charged
in One of NYC's
May 31, 2023 6:47 AM CDT
3rd Man Charged in One of NYC's Most Notorious Unsolved Murders
Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay was slain in 2002
- A third man has been charged in the 2002 shooting death of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay, prosecutors said Tuesday, marking the latest movement in a case that's languished for years . Federal prosecutors in the Eastern District of New York filed a superseding indictment on Tuesday, charging Jay Bryant,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Fans Boo as Miami Dolphins Opt Not to Go for NFL Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.