Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Patient Heads Home
—After 453 Days
Nov 10, 2022 11:07 AM CST
'Miracle' COVID Patient Heads Home —After 453 Days
Weaymon 'Dub' Crochet, after 15 months in Texas hospitals, says: 'God [gave] me all his angels'
- The average length of a patient's stay in a hospital while being treated for COVID is about a week or so, per CDC stats from April. A Texas man has surpassed that length of time and then some, and his survival is now being hailed as a "miracle....
We Haven't Seen a Flu Season
This Intense Since 2009
Oct 28, 2022 2:03 PM CDT
We Haven't Seen a Flu Season This Intense Since 2009
CDC says we're seeing hospitalization case levels we usually don't see till December
- The CDC's weekly influenza report is out, and it's got concerning news on an atypically early flu season, with a "dramatic" surge in hospitalizations for flu over the past few weeks that have reached levels the US normally doesn't see until December. The health agency reports...
O'Rourke Ends Up in
Hospital, Pauses Campaign
Aug 29, 2022 8:17 AM CDT
O'Rourke Ends Up in Hospital, Pauses Campaign
Democratic gubernatorial candidate says he had bacterial illness, will rest at home for a bit
- Beto O'Rourke has temporarily paused his gubernatorial campaign and is resting up after a weekend hospitalization for a bacterial infection. The Hill reports that the Texas Democrat announced his malady Sunday on Twitter, noting he wasn't feeling well on Friday and so he went to San Antonio's...
Jun 29, 2022 4:07 PM CDT
Travis Barker Deals With Pancreatitis
'God save me,' he posted after reportedly being hospitalized
This file has been updated with information on Barker's illness.
Fans worried about Travis Barker's hospitalization now have an idea what it's all about: pancreatitis. TMZ first reported that the 46-year-old Blink-182 drummer showed up at California's West Hills Hospital on Tuesday morning, and soon...
Findings in 3 Countries:
Omicron Appears Milder
Dec 23, 2021 7:49 AM CST
Findings in 3 Countries: Omicron Appears Milder
Risk of hospitalization reduced compared to earlier variants, largely due to immunity
- Three studies on populations in South Africa, Scotland, and England indicate the omicron coronavirus variant generally results in milder disease than with previous variants, and is less likely to send people to the hospital. It's reassuring news as omicron is now the dominant variant in many parts of the...
COVID Patient Wakes on Day
Family Was to Pull the Plug
Nov 18, 2021 5:35 PM CST
COVID Patient Wakes on Day Family Was to Pull the Plug
Bettina Lerman, 69, has a long road of recovery ahead
- Doctors were certain Bettina Lerman would not wake after more than a month on a ventilator battling COVID-19 at a hospital in Portland, Maine. So her family flew to Lerman's home in Florida, canceled her lease, got rid of many of her possessions, and began planning a funeral, reports...
Just Earned a
Aug 26, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Fla. Governor Just Earned a Dubious New COVID Honor
DeSantis is first governor whose state is seeing more deaths than at any other point in pandemic
- While New York state reconciles its numbers on COVID deaths, Florida has a sobering new set of its own. Nearly a year and a half after the disease shut the world down, the Sunshine State is experiencing more coronavirus infections, hospitalizations, and deaths than at any other point during the...
Doctor to Unvaccinated:
Find Another Physican
Aug 19, 2021 11:57 AM CDT
Doctor to Unvaccinated: Find Another Physican
Alabama's Jason Valentine works in the state with lowest vaccination rate
- An Alabama doctor sick of seeing unvaccinated people die of COVID-19 says he will soon turn them away. Dr. Jason Valentine, a physician at Diagnostic and Medical Clinic Infirmary Health in Mobile, this week shared a photo of himself posing next to a sign in his office that explains, as...
Jul 14, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Brazil's President Apparently Can't Stop Hiccuping
Jair Bolsonaro hospitalized after abdominal pain, 10-day bout of hiccups
- Brazil's president has been admitted to the hospital with a strange bout of hiccups, so far lasting more than 10 days, per the
. Jair Bolsonaro was taken to a military hospital in the capital city of Brasilia around 4am local time on Wednesday when the hiccups failed to...
An Update on Chris Christie
Oct 9, 2020 8:36 AM CDT
An Update on Chris Christie
He remains in hospital but is not on a ventilator, sources say
- Chris Christie remains hospitalized with coronavirus for a sixth day, meaning he's now beyond the average COVID-19 hospitalization period. An analysis published in
last month found coronavirus patients outside of China were hospitalized for an average of five days. There's been little word on how he'...
Singer Opens Her Heart
After 'Suicide Attempt'
Aug 2, 2020 4:10 PM CDT
Singer Opens Her Heart After 'Suicide Attempt'
Tamar Braxton: I felt like 'little to nothing'
- Tamar Braxton is thanking her boyfriend for "saving my life" after her hospitalization last month. Braxton posted a lengthy message on social media late Saturday that paid tribute to David Adefeso being her "angel on earth." She said she is grateful for Adefeso who found her "...
Outbreak Hits 23 States
Jul 25, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Mystery Salmonella Outbreak Hits 23 States
Health officials are struggling to find the source
- A salmonella outbreak of no known origin has struck nearly two dozen states and hospitalized 31 people,
reports. The CDC said on Friday that 212 cases have emerged in 23 states, with 8 new states listed since Tuesday. While bacterial outbreaks are often linked to a food source,...
One Star Hit
by COVID Flew
Under the Radar,
Jul 24, 2020 11:26 AM CDT
One Star Hit by COVID Flew Under the Radar, Until Now
64-year-old star was hospitalized for week in April with the virus but has since recovered
- For anyone keeping track of the celebrities and other well-known figures who've been stricken with the coronavirus, there's a new one for your list—and he managed to fly under the radar for months. A representative for Mel Gibson confirms the 64-year-old actor and director was hospitalized in...
COVID Hospitalizations Surge
Across US: 'Just Overwhelmed'
Jun 24, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
COVID Hospitalizations Surge Across US: 'Just Overwhelmed'
Seven states saw spikes, with Arizona, California, and Texas posting especially worrisome numbers
- Arizona on Tuesday saw a record high of 3,591 new coronavirus cases and a surge in the number of hospitalizations for patients thought to have the virus, in the wake of having lifted its stay-at-home order in May. Data from the state's Department of Health Services shows...
Wife: His Lungs
May 2, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
Nick Cordero's Wife: His Lungs Are 'Severely Damaged'
Amanda Kloots gives the world an update as her husband fights for his life
- Looks like Nick Cordero isn't out of the woods yet. The Broadway actor, who apparently had a leg amputated after testing positive for COVID-19, is now said to have other lingering health effects. CNN reports that while he isn't bleeding internally, his wife Amanda Kloots says "we...
Mar 30, 2020 6:25 AM CDT
Placido Domingo Hospitalized in Mexico
Opera singer's coronavirus worsens, but he's said to be responding to treatment
- Just over a week ago, Placido Domingo felt it his "moral duty" to inform the world he'd tested positive for the coronavirus, though he said he was in relatively "good health" despite a fever and coughing. Since then, his condition has worsened enough that he was forced...
Who's the Virus
Putting in the
All Older People
Mar 19, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Who's the Virus Putting in the Hospital? Not All Older People
New CDC data show significant portion of coronavirus hospitalization are younger adults
- Dr. Deborah Birx, a State Department official on President Trump's coronavirus task force, on Wednesday issued a warning to young adults to stop gathering in groups—not only because they could unknowingly spread the virus to older, more vulnerable people, but because they themselves may be more at risk...
Nov 23, 2019 5:40 PM CST
Ruth Bader Ginsburg Is Hospitalized
The Supreme Court justice has been battling cancer
- The Supreme Court says Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has been hospitalized after experiencing chills and fever, the AP reports. In a statement Saturday, the court’s public information office says Ginsburg was admitted Friday night to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. The court says Ginsburg, 86, was initially evaluated at...
Attacker Scaled Kindergarten
Wall, Sent 54 to Hospital: Cops
Nov 12, 2019 8:53 AM CST
Attacker Scaled Kindergarten Wall, Sent 54 to Hospital: Cops
Chinese suspect reportedly sought revenge on society
- More than 50 children were injured at a kindergarten in China on Monday when an attacker sprayed the room with sodium hydroxide or lye. Three teachers and 51 children suffered injuries in the afternoon attack in Kaiyuan, Yunnan province, though none were life-threatening, reports CNN . The state-run Xinhua agency identified...
8 Teen Vapers
Jul 26, 2019 10:48 AM CDT
8 Teen Vapers Hospitalized With Lung Damage
Wisconsin cases leave doctors alarmed as state health officials investigate
- Eight Wisconsin teens were hospitalized with lung damage believed to be linked to vaping—just within the last month. Vaping "is harming our kids … no matter what the product," Michael Gutzeit, chief medical officer for Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, said at a Thursday news conference, reports...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.