Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Atlanta Braves Win First
World Series Since 1995
Nov 2, 2021 10:49 PM CDT
Atlanta Braves Win First World Series Since 1995
Beating the Houston Astros in Game 6
- Most of the season, it just seemed this wasn’t their year. They dropped their first four games, and soon injuries piled up. They lost their most dynamic player before the All-Star break. They were stuck below .500 in August. Yet out of nowhere, suddenly, these Atlanta Braves transformed themselves...
Native Americans' Calls to Drop
Gesture Fail to Move Braves
Oct 28, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
Native Americans' Calls to Drop Gesture Fail to Move Braves
Groups dispute baseball's contention that they support the 'dehumanizing' imagery
- The NFL's Washington Football Team has dropped its slur of a team nickname. The Cleveland Indians are becoming the Guardians. High schools are rethinking their warrior mascots . But in Atlanta, the Braves have only doubled down on their long-criticized "Tomahawk chop"—in which fans gesture with their...
'Blows My Mind'
Oct 27, 2021 9:31 AM CDT
Braves Pitcher's Injured Move 'Blows My Mind'
Charlie Morton kept pitching on broken leg in Game 1 of the World Series
- Charlie Morton spun a curveball past Jose Altuve for a called third strike, his 16th pitch after taking a 102mph comebacker off his right leg. Morton stumbled and started to fall. Turns out the leg was broken. Morton's right fibula was fractured by Yuli Gurriel's one-hop screamer leading...
to the Face
May 18, 2021 5:26 PM CDT
Hitter Takes 94mph Pitch to the Face
Kevin Pillar suffered nasal fractures but says he's fine
- A New York Mets outfielder has assured everyone that he's OK after taking a fastball to the face in a game Monday night. Kevin Pillar was left with multiple nasal fractures, however, and plans to meet with a specialist, CNN reports. The scare took place in Atlanta, where he...
Frustrated Braves Pitcher
Breaks His Own Hand
May 18, 2021 1:49 AM CDT
Frustrated Braves Pitcher Breaks His Own Hand
Huascar Ynoa punched a dugout bench Sunday
- Atlanta Braves pitcher Huascar Ynoa was apparently frustrated during Sunday's game against the Milwaukee Brewers, but his reaction did not improve the situation. After allowing five earned runs in 4 1/3 innings, Ynoa punched a dugout bench ... and broke his pitching hand,
reports. The Braves' manager tells...
Aaron Fans Hammer Braves
to Change Team Name
Jan 24, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Aaron Fans Hammer Braves to Change Team Name
Hank Aaron's death prompts calls for renamed Atlanta team
- As his adopted hometown mourned Hank Aaron's death, some fans called on the Atlanta Braves to change their name to the Hammers in his honor, per the AP . "Hammerin' Hank" died Friday at age 86, drawing praise from all segments of society—including the current and former...
Baseball Hall of Fame
Pitcher Don Sutton Dead at 75
Jan 20, 2021 12:05 AM CST
Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher Don Sutton Dead at 75
The Los Angeles Dodgers legend had cancer
- Don Sutton, a Hall of Fame pitcher who was a stalwart of the Los Angeles Dodgers’ rotation spanning an era from Sandy Koufax to Fernando Valenzuela, died Tuesday, the AP reports. He was 75. The Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY, said Sutton died at his home in Rancho...
Braves Ditch Tomahawks
After Pitcher Complains
Oct 10, 2019 6:18 AM CDT
Braves Ditch Tomahawks After Pitcher Complains
Cardinals rookie Ryan Helsley is of Cherokee descent
- Atlanta Braves fans cheering on their team against the St. Louis Cardinals Wednesday night did not have a traditional tool to help: The team did not place foam tomahawks on seats before the game, reports the
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
. The reason? Cardinals pitcher Ryan Helsley, who is a member of...
Former Atlanta Braves Player
Otis Nixon Is Missing
Apr 10, 2017 1:17 AM CDT
Former Atlanta Braves Player Otis Nixon Is Missing
He disappeared after leaving home to play golf
- Police in Georgia are looking for a former Atlanta Braves player who left his home to play golf Saturday morning and hasn't been seen since. Otis Nixon, 58, was reported missing by his girlfriend Sunday afternoon, a Woodstock Police Department rep tells CNN . He was driving a gray 2011...
31 Georgia Residents to Have
Homes Demolished for Ballpark
Nov 18, 2016 12:29 PM CST
31 Georgia Residents to Have Homes Demolished for Ballpark
County wants to build a 4-lane road to help with traffic
- Cobb County, Ga., just told the residents of a neighborhood next to the new Atlanta Braves stadium to say goodbye to their homes. The county is using eminent domain to take over at least 16 Turnberry Lane homes, and likely 15 more, and bulldoze them in order to make room...
Dead at 29
Nov 10, 2015 9:59 AM CST
Former Star MLB Pitcher Dead at 29
Ex-Braves player Tommy Hanson suffered 'catastrophic organ failure': report
- Tommy Hanson, the friendly pitcher known as "Big Red" whose MLB career was stalled by injuries and personal loss, died Monday night at the age of 29, the
reports. Hanson, who pitched four seasons for the Atlanta Braves and ended his major league stint with the Los...
This Might Be the Best
Kiss Cam Moment Ever
Sep 18, 2015 10:21 AM CDT
This Might Be the Best Kiss Cam Moment Ever
Jimmy Carter kisses wife Rosalynn at Braves game
- It's not every day you catch a former president on the Kiss Cam, but that's what happened last night at the Atlanta Braves game,
reports. Jimmy Carter was attending with wife Rosalynn, and when the camera turned their way and popped their faces up on the...
Aug 31, 2015 3:01 AM CDT
Accident Makes Turner Field Baseball's Deadliest
There have been 3 fatal falls since 2008
- The death of a Braves fan on Saturday at Turner Field was not only tragic, it was the third such death at the stadium since 2008, giving it the unwelcome title of baseball's deadliest, according to ballpark expert Robert Gorman. He tells the
that the death of...
Baseball Fan Killed in Fall
From Upper Deck
Aug 29, 2015 10:24 PM CDT
Baseball Fan Killed in Fall From Upper Deck
Older man was in Atlanta watching Braves play Yankees
- Tragedy in Atlanta tonight as a baseball fan fell from the upper deck during the Braves-Yankees game and was killed, reports 11 Alive . The man, believed to be in his 60s, fell from the 400 level about 40 feet and landed on concrete on the stadium's first level, reports...
Braves Set US Flag on Fire
Apr 10, 2014 2:04 AM CDT
Braves Set US Flag on Fire
Fireworks were too close at home opener
- A pretty inauspicious start to the season for the Atlanta Braves: At their home opener Tuesday night, a fireworks blunder ended up setting the American flag on fire in front of 50,000 fans, WXIA reports. For the first—and last—time, the team tried setting off fireworks from the...
Man Dies in 65-Foot Fall
at Atlanta's Turner Field
Aug 13, 2013 12:14 AM CDT
Man Dies in 65-Foot Fall at Atlanta's Turner Field
It's believed to be the 2nd death at the stadium
- Tragedy in Atlanta last night, where the
reports a 29-year-old man died after falling from the upper deck at Turner Field. He tumbled some 65 feet and landed in a parking lot outside of the stadium. Still no word on what caused Ronald Homer to fall, but a police...
Crazy Call Creates
Mayhem in Playoff Game
Oct 6, 2012 5:48 AM CDT
Crazy Call Creates Mayhem in Playoff Game
Disputed infield fly rule helps Cardinals beat Braves
- The first wild-card playoff game in baseball history turned out to be just plain wild yesterday, thanks to a complicated rule that has long been part of baseball, even if many people don't know exactly what it is. The St. Louis Cardinals beat the Atlanta Braves 6-3, with help...
Jul 7, 2011 4:44 PM CDT
Baseball's New Fave Booze: Tequila
Five clubs sign sponsorship deals with distillers
- Big-league baseball teams are hitting the hard stuff. After years of sponsorship from beer companies, five ball clubs this year have teamed up with liquor brands. The spirit of choice: tequila, which saw the biggest sales jump among spirits between 2001 and 2010. “Lots of people think of beer...
Braves Suspend Pitching Coach Over Gay Slurs, Threat
Apr 29, 2011 3:15 PM CDT
Braves Suspend Pitching Coach Over Gay Slurs, Threat
Also, pitcher Derek Lowe is charged with DUI
- This turned out to be a banner week for the Atlanta Braves pitching staff. In the most high-profile event, the team today placed pitching coach Roger McDowell on administrative leave after he allegedly hurled gay slurs at heckling Giants fans ("Are you a homo couple or a threesome?"),...
Loses Eye to
Mar 17, 2011 9:22 AM CDT
Braves Coach Loses Eye to Rogue Foul
Minor league manager Luis Salazar will return to work this season
- An Atlanta Braves coach has lost his left eye after a foul ball hit him in the face. Luis Salazar, a minor league manager, was watching a spring training game when a line drive off the bat of the Braves’ Brian McCann hit him in the dugout. He was knocked...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
Removal of Roosevelt Statue Begins
Decrepit Zero-Bedroom Home Sells for 'Head-Scratcher' Price
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
Wife of Cryptocurrency CEO Maintains She Watched Him Die
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.