Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest Facebook news today on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Deliver a Surprise
Decades in the Making
Oct 30, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Metal Detectorists Deliver a Surprise Decades in the Making
Skyla Carmona has back wedding ring she lost in woods 48 years ago thanks to Massachusetts team
- Metal detectorists are often ribbed as being nerds, but a group of those nerds helped deliver a wonderful surprise to a Nashville woman who lost her wedding ring almost a half-century ago. Skyla and Phil Carmona, a Special Forces medic, were married in 1973, a little more than six months...
Zuckerberg Just Got Hit
With Massive Lawsuit
Oct 24, 2023 11:26 AM CDT
Zuckerberg Just Got Hit With Massive Lawsuit
41 states and DC sue Facebook parent company Meta, accuse it of inflicting harm on kids
- States are going after Facebook and Instagram in a big way, unleashing a legal assault that accuses the platforms of deliberately trying to makes kids addicted to the sites. In all, 41 states and the District of Columbia sued parent company Meta on Tuesday, in what amounts to "the...
SCOTUS to Hear Case on
GOP-Backed Social Media Laws
Sep 29, 2023 9:43 AM CDT
SCOTUS to Hear Case on GOP-Backed Social Media Laws
Legislation enacted in Texas, Florida aim to prevent social media sites from censoring users
- The Supreme Court agreed Friday to decide whether state laws that seek to regulate Facebook, TikTok, X (formerly known as Twitter), and other social media platforms violate the Constitution. The justices will review laws enacted by Republican-dominated legislatures and signed by Republican governors in Florida and Texas. While the details...
Meta Slammed for
Canada News Ban
Aug 18, 2023 6:37 AM CDT
Meta Slammed for 'Stupid, Dangerous' Canada News Ban
Move has made it harder for people to share information about wildfire evacuations
- Meta has banned Canadians from sharing news content on Facebook and Instagram amid an ongoing dispute with the federal government—and experts say that with wildfire evacuations underway, the timing couldn't be worse. Residents of Yellowknife, capital of the Northwest Territories, have been told to get out by noon...
Content: I 'Stood
Up and Screamed'
Aug 17, 2023 8:26 AM CDT
Moderator of Facebook Content: I 'Stood Up and Screamed'
As employees sue, CEO of Sama laments harmful content, wishes she'd never signed a contract
- Online content moderation is a stressful job, but someone's got to do it—though now an East African firm is saying it wishes its workers weren't those someones. Per the
, employees are now bringing lawsuits against both outsourcing company Sama and Meta, Facebook's parent, after they...
Meta Results Beat
Jul 26, 2023 4:52 PM CDT
Meta Results Beat Analysts' Expectations
Company reports strong results as advertising rebounds
- Facebook parent company Meta Platforms posted stronger-than-expected results for the second quarter on Wednesday, buoyed by a rebound in online advertising after a post-pandemic slump. The Menlo Park, California-based company earned $7.79 billion, or $2.98 per share, in the April-June period, the AP reports. That's up 16%...
It's a '5-Alarm Fire'
for Tax-Prep Firms
Jul 12, 2023 11:40 AM CDT
It's a '5-Alarm Fire' for Tax-Prep Firms
H&R Block, others allegedly shared millions of taxpayers' private info with tech firms
- Members of Congress are calling for criminal charges against some of America's largest tax-prep companies for allegedly sharing tens of millions of taxpayers' legally protected data with Google and Meta. As far back as 2011, H&R Block, TaxSlayer, and TaxAct allegedly shared private information entered into its website...
Zuckerberg's 'Twitter Killer,'
Threads, Goes Live
Jul 5, 2023 7:30 PM CDT
Zuckerberg's 'Twitter Killer,' Threads, Goes Live
Meta boss announces launch with a dig at the competition
- Threads, Meta's text-based messaging app that looks a lot like Twitter and is intended to challenge that platform, went live Wednesday. Mark Zuckerberg made the announcment in a post to his Threads account, including a shot at Twitter. He said his intention is for Threads to remain "friendly...
Kenyan Facebook Content
Moderators: Job Is 'Torture'
Jun 29, 2023 6:20 PM CDT
Kenyan Facebook Content Moderators: Job Is 'Torture'
Lawsuit against the social media giant could have global effects
- On the verge of tears, Nathan Nkunzimana recalled watching a video of a child being molested and another of a woman being killed. His job as a content moderator for a Facebook contractor required him to look at horrors. Some overwhelmed colleagues would scream or cry, he said. Now, the...
Cops: He Robbed Her, Then
Sent Her a Facebook DM
Jun 29, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Cops: He Robbed Her, Then Sent Her a Facebook DM
'Look just know imma pay you back,' Damien Boyce allegedly messaged victim hours later
- Many of us have received Facebook friend requests we'd rather not accept. But for one Indiana woman, that wariness reached new levels after the man accused of robbing her at gunpoint made her add him on the social network, then later DMed her to ask her to hang out,...
Wagner Advertises for
Recruits on Facebook, Twitter
May 30, 2023 6:28 PM CDT
Wagner Advertises for Recruits on Facebook, Twitter
Job ads promise the chance to see the world
- Having reportedly lost 20,000 fighters in the battle for one Ukrainian city, the Wagner Group has posted job ads on Facebook and Twitter to replenish its workforce—posts specifying that employment comes with health care. Researchers found 60 ads in dozens of languages seeking people to fill support positions...
Meta Unloads Giphy,
Is Out Hundreds of Millions
May 24, 2023 6:47 AM CDT
Meta Unloads Giphy, Is Out Hundreds of Millions
Facebook parent sells GIF search engine to Shutterstock for $53M after UK regulators' decision
- In 2020, Meta scooped up Giphy, a GIF search engine used by Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and other platforms, for $400 million. On Tuesday, Facebook's parent company announced it had sold the product to stock image service Shutterstock for a mere $53 million—effectively taking a nearly $350 million loss....
EU's Fine Against Amazon Was
Huge. Meta's Is Even Bigger
May 22, 2023 6:05 AM CDT
EU's Fine Against Amazon Was Huge. Meta's Is Even Bigger
Facebook parent hit with record $1.3B penalty in longtime privacy case over US cybersnooping fears
- The European Union slapped Meta with a record $1.3 billion privacy fine Monday and ordered it to stop transferring user data across the Atlantic by October, the latest salvo in a decade-long case sparked by US cybersnooping fears. The penalty fine of 1.2 billion euros from Ireland's...
Supreme Court Sides With
Google, Twitter in 2 Big Cases
May 18, 2023 12:16 PM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With Google, Twitter in 2 Big Cases
Justices side with social media giants in closely watched liability challenges
- The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered good news to Google, Twitter, and social media in general Thursday in a pair of cases regarding liability for what users post .
In one, the court sidestepped a case against Google that might have allowed more lawsuits against social media companies, per the
Cops' Post on Wanted Felon
Gets a Surprise Comment
May 17, 2023 11:24 AM CDT
Cops' Post on Wanted Felon Gets a Surprise Comment
Ohio's Tanner Rhinehart responded to post alerting public to his own arrest warrant
- Ohio police turned to Facebook in an effort to track down a wanted man, only to have the man reply with a taunt. "Y'all almost had [me] the other day you gotta be quicker than that," 20-year-old Tanner Rhinehart commented Monday in response to a notice from...
Get Your Facebook
Apr 22, 2023 4:20 PM CDT
Get Your Facebook Settlement Payment
Portal is now open to file a claim, but don't spend the cash all in one place
- For anyone in the US who mindlessly liked cat photos or got into political arguments on Facebook between May 2007 and December 2022, good news: Your internet nickels are almost here, in the form of Meta's $725 million class-action Cambridge Analytica settlement. But, as Stephen Council notes at SFGate...
Meta: Give Us Money, ID
and We'll 'Verify' Your FB, IG
Feb 20, 2023 9:19 AM CST
Meta: Give Us Money, ID and We'll 'Verify' Your FB, IG
You'll get a special badge for that $14.99 you're forking over ($11.99 for the web)
- Last year, Elon Musk's Twitter launched its Twitter Blue subscription service , a paid verification that offers users a blue check mark next to their name, as well as other perks, like being able to edit your tweets. Now Meta is following suit with something similar: CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced...
in a Decade
Feb 2, 2023 1:51 PM CST
Meta Stock Is Having Best Day in a Decade
Parent company of Facebook has investors optimistic about 2023
- Thursday is turning out to be a
good day for Facebook parent company Meta and CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Shares in the company had surged 26% by midday, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Assuming the pace keeps up, this will wind up being the company's best stock day since...
Meta Says It Lost Nearly
$14B on VR Project Last Year
Feb 2, 2023 6:36 AM CST
Meta Says It Lost Nearly $14B on VR Project Last Year
Zuckerberg says 2023 will be 'year of efficiency'
- While Mark Zuckerberg's bet on virtual reality could still pay off, it's definitely been an expensive gamble: Meta said Wednesday that its Reality Labs division had a $4.28 billion operating loss in the fourth quarter of 2022, bringing its losses for the year to $13.7 billion,...
Jan 25, 2023 7:05 PM CST
Meta Decides to Welcome Trump Back
Facebook, Instagram suspensions to be dropped 'in coming weeks'
- Two years after former President Donald Trump was suspended from Facebook and Instagram over his posts supporting the insurgents who attacked the Capitol, Meta has decided to welcome him back. The announcement was made in a blog post by Nick Clegg, the company's president of global affairs, the BBC...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.