Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Left the US to Join
ISIS. Now, a SCOTUS Decision
Jan 13, 2022 7:50 AM CST
She Left the US to Join ISIS. Now, a SCOTUS Decision
Supreme Court won't hear appeal of Hoda Muthana, who went to Syria in 2014, wants to come back
She was born in New Jersey and raised in Alabama, but it looks like Hoda Muthana won't be going back to either anytime soon. On Monday, the US Supreme Court refused, without comment, to hear an appeal from the 27-year-old—who'd left Alabama to join the Islamic...
Biden, Dems Unveil 8-Year
Pathway to Citizenship
Feb 19, 2021 1:59 AM CST
Biden, Dems Unveil 8-Year Pathway to Citizenship
It's a piecemeal approach to immigration reform
- After decades of failed attempts to pass comprehensive immigration legislation, congressional Democrats and President Biden are signaling openness to a piece-by-piece approach, the AP reports. They unveiled a broad bill Thursday that would provide an eight-year pathway to citizenship for 11 million people living in the country without legal status....
He Waited 6 Years
for Citizenship Test.
Then, a Big 'Letdown'
Mar 6, 2020 2:00 PM CST
He Waited 6 Years for Citizenship Test. Then, a Big 'Letdown'
Blind man Lucio Delgado fails because test wasn't available in Braille
- When Lucio Delgado arrived in the US from Mexico six years ago, he set his sights on learning English and becoming an American citizen. Per the
, the then-teen had come to the US with his family to escape drug cartels and to give him better opportunities due to...
Neil Young Is Now
'Proud to Be a Canerican'
Jan 24, 2020 3:56 AM CST
Neil Young Is Now 'Proud to Be a Canerican'
Canadian rocker Neil Young is now a US citizen
- Republicans might be dismayed to discover that a former illegal immigrant with a history of drug use has become an American citizen—for the purpose of voting against President Trump. Canadian rocker Neil Young, who has lived in California for most of the last 54 years, was granted US citizenship...
Neil Young Answered
Honestly. Now, a
Nov 11, 2019 12:20 PM CST
Neil Young Answered Honestly. Now, a Delayed Citizenship
Canadian singer admitted to using marijuana
- Neil Young answered a question on his US citizenship application honestly, and it's costing him. The singer admitted that, yes, he has used marijuana, and as a result the application process has been delayed, the
reports. Young, who's Canadian but is well known as, per the newspaper,...
Big Move: Give Up
Oct 11, 2019 8:58 AM CDT
Tennis Phenom's Big Move: Give Up US Citizenship
Naomi Osaka had to make a decision by age 22, per Japan's rules
- Naomi Osaka, born in Japan to a Japanese mom and Haitian-American dad , currently holds both US and Japanese citizenship. But once she turns 22 next week, Japan's nationality laws dictate she'll have to choose between the two—and the tennis star says she's going with the latter,...
Rule for Some Kids
Aug 29, 2019 5:32 AM CDT
Feds Tweak Automatic Citizenship Rule for Some Kids
Feds accused of creating 'second-class citizenship'
- The children of some Americans serving overseas in the military will not be exempt from the administration's hardline immigration policies. A new United States Citizenship and Immigration Services policy unveiled Wednesday states that in some circumstances, children born to service members or federal employees serving outside the US will...
Trump Hints at Big Move
on Census Question
Jul 11, 2019 11:05 AM CDT
Trump Hints at Big Move on Census Question
Reports predict president will announce executive action Thursday afternoon
- If a slew of reports are correct, President Trump is about to make an aggressive move to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census. But for now, the only thing known for certain is that Trump plans to talk about the issue at an afternoon news conference—and there'...
Trump Floats New Idea
on Census Question
Jul 5, 2019 12:10 PM CDT
Trump Floats New Idea on Census Question
Suggests citizenship query could be a printed as an addendum
- The idea of adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census is currently in limbo, but President Trump says administration lawyers have "four or five" possible ways to still make it happen, reports
. One of them is to print an addendum to the census, which would be...
Trump May Make Aggressive
Move on Census Question
Jul 4, 2019 12:51 PM CDT
Trump May Make Aggressive Move on Census Question
Axios reports that an executive order to add citizenship question is being considered
- Whether the 2020 census will include a question about citizenship remains very much in limbo, but President Trump reiterated Thursday that he still wants to make it happen, reports the Hill . "So important for our Country that the very simple and basic 'Are you a Citizen of the...
Jul 3, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Be a Citizenship Question
President calls news that question was dropped from census 'fake'
- A day after his own commerce secretary and a Justice Department lawyer announced that the 2020 census questionnaire was being printed without the citizenship question President Trump wants, Trump denied the news. "The News Reports about the Department of Commerce dropping its quest to put the Citizenship Question on...
Trump Responds to
'Ridiculous' Census Ruling
Jun 27, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
Trump Responds to 'Ridiculous' Census Ruling
POTUS suggests delaying census
- President Trump has weighed in on the Supreme Court's decision on adding a citizenship question to the 2020 census, and, not surprisingly, he is not pleased. The high court blocked the addition of the question, for now, because it didn't find the White House's argument justified adding...
John Roberts Joins Liberals
in Big Census Ruling
Jun 27, 2019 10:24 AM CDT
John Roberts Joins Liberals in Big Census Ruling
Justices say Trump administration's explanation isn't good enough
- If the Trump administration wants to add a controversial US citizenship question to the 2020 census, it will have to hustle. The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked the current bid to add the question, saying the administration's explanation for why it's necessary just isn't good enough, reports...
Before the Game, Citizenship
Apr 19, 2019 4:09 PM CDT
Before the Game, Citizenship
Carlos Santana of Cleveland Indians take the oath
- Not even a cold, rainy day could hinder Carlos Santana's joyful smile. The Indians first baseman was sworn in as a US citizen on Friday, taking the oath with 83 others while his two young daughters fought for his attention, per the AP . Afterward, Santana beamed with pride. "...
As Officials Prep 2 Versions of
Census, Trump Tweets Angrily
Apr 1, 2019 4:47 PM CDT
As Officials Prep 2 Versions of Census, Trump Tweets Angrily
It will be 'meaningless' without citizenship question, POTUS says
- One year out from the start of the 2020 census, Census Bureau officials set out Monday to demonstrate the importance of the head count for all Americans. President Trump offered a different message, saying the count will be "meaningless" if it doesn't include a citizenship question, the AP...
One Twin Was a US Citizen,
One Wasn't—Until Now
Feb 22, 2019 8:18 AM CST
One Twin Was a US Citizen, One Wasn't—Until Now
Ethan and Aiden Dvash-Banks were conceived with donor eggs, sperm from different gay dads
- A federal judge in California ruled Thursday that a twin son of a gay married couple has been an American citizen since birth, handing a defeat to the US government, which had only granted the status to his brother. The State Department was wrong to deny citizenship to 2-year-old Ethan...
Judge Blocks White House
From Adding Census Question
Jan 15, 2019 10:25 AM CST
Judge Blocks White House From Adding Census Question
But issue of citizenship is likely headed to Supreme Court
- A federal judge in New York has barred the Trump administration from adding a question about citizenship to the 2020 census. US District Judge Jesse Furman said Tuesday that while such a question would be constitutional, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross had added it arbitrarily and not followed proper procedure, per...
2011: Lost His Feet to Frostbite.
2018: Finishes a Marathon
Nov 14, 2018 8:51 AM CST
2011: Lost His Feet to Frostbite. 2018: Finishes a Marathon
Marko Cheseto also just became a US citizen
- A former University of Alaska Anchorage runner who lost both of his feet to frostbite in 2011 ran his first marathon and became an American citizen last week, the AP reports. Marko Cheseto, 35, finished 613th overall out of nearly 53,000 runners at the New York City Marathon on...
US Revoking Passports
of Hispanics Near Border
Aug 30, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
US Revoking Passports of Hispanics Near Border
'Washington Post' reports on new crackdown based on old controversy
- A new immigration controversy involves not the denial of US citizenship from applicants but the stripping of US citizenship from Hispanics along the Texas-Mexico border. The
unpacks the story, which asserts that hundreds and perhaps thousands of Hispanics in the region are suddenly having their American citizenship challenged....
One Twin Is a US Citizen.
The Other Faces Deportation
Jan 24, 2018 9:04 AM CST
One Twin Is a US Citizen. The Other Faces Deportation
2 cases allege LBGT discrimination by State Department
- Sixteen-month-old Aiden Dvash-Banks is a US citizen living with his family in Los Angeles. His twin brother, Ethan, is undocumented and thus at risk of being deported. It's an unusual situation that highlights discrimination against LGBT families by the US government, according to the boys' married male parents, who...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
Things Got Ugly After Dallas' Wild Playoff Loss
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
Friction Is Heating Up Between Trump, DeSantis
Walmart Is Getting Into an Unlikely New Sector
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.