Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Had Wife Killed,
Wouldn't Look at Son
as He Awaited Execution
Jan 11, 2023 12:32 AM CST
He Had Wife Killed, Wouldn't Look at Son as He Awaited Execution
Texas executes ex-cop who hired 2 people to murder his estranged wife
- A former suburban Houston police officer was executed Tuesday for hiring two people to kill his estranged wife nearly 30 years ago amid a contentious divorce and custody battle, the AP reports. Robert Fratta, 65, received a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in Huntsville for the November 1994 fatal...
Jan 4, 2023 1:04 AM CST
US Executes First Transgender Inmate
Missouri puts transgender woman to death
- A Missouri inmate was put to death Tuesday for a 2003 killing, in what is believed to be the first execution of a transgender woman in the US, the AP reports. (It's thought to be the country's first execution of any openly transgender person, male or female, CNN...
Won't Be Subjected to
Lethal Injection Again
Nov 30, 2022 8:51 AM CST
'Execution Survivor' Won't Be Subjected to Lethal Injection Again
Any future effort to execute Alan Eugene Miller will be done by nitrogen hypoxia
- Alabama won't seek another lethal injection date for an inmate whose Sept. 22 execution had been halted because of problems establishing an intravenous line, according to the terms of a settlement agreement approved by US District Judge R. Austin Huffaker Jr. on Tuesday. The state agreed to never use...
Lawyer: 'Tonight ...
Missouri Killed Kevin
Because He Is Black'
Nov 30, 2022 5:01 AM CST
Lawyer: 'Tonight ... Missouri Killed Kevin Because He Is Black'
Kevin Johnson died by lethal injection Tuesday night
- A Missouri man convicted of ambushing and killing a St. Louis area police officer he blamed in the death of his younger brother was executed Tuesday night, the AP reports. Kevin Johnson, 37, died after an injection of pentobarbital at the state prison in Bonne Terre. It was the state’...
Alabama Calls for
Halt to Executions
Nov 22, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Alabama Calls for Halt to Executions
Political scientist Austin Sarat wants to see the 'insane' method ended across the country
- Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey has called for a stop to executions in the state after two failed attempts at lethal injections—a problem on display in other states this week. In a Monday release, following the failed executions of Kenneth Smith on Nov. 17 and Alan Miller on Sept. 22,...
Texas Executes Man Who Killed
His Mom, Buried Her in Yard
Nov 10, 2022 12:20 AM CST
Texas Executes Man Who Killed His Mom, Buried Her in Yard
Tracy Beatty's lawyers had argued his mental illness history should rule out death penalty
- A man who killed his mother and buried her body in her backyard was executed Wednesday in Texas despite his lawyers’ appeals that he should not be put to death because he had a history of mental illness, the AP reports. Tracy Beatty, 61, received a lethal injection at the...
Alabama Prison Botches
Another Lethal Injection
Oct 10, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Alabama Prison Botches Another Lethal Injection
Alan Eugene Miller previously sued the state for failing to use his chosen method of execution
- Alan Eugene Miller is now America’s only living execution survivor, according to the
Elizabeth Bruenig, who was present at Alabama's Holman prison Sept. 22 with the expectation of witnessing Miller’s execution. Instead, Bruenig was present for yet another botched execution, Alabama’s second of the...
Alabama Runs Out of
Time to Execute Inmate
Sep 23, 2022 3:51 AM CDT
Alabama Runs Out of Time to Execute Inmate
They had trouble accessing Alan Miller's veins for lethal injection
- Alabama officials called off the Thursday lethal injection of a man convicted in a 1999 workplace shooting because of time concerns and trouble accessing the inmate’s veins. Alabama Corrections Commissioner John Hamm said the state halted the scheduled execution of Alan Miller after they determined they could not get...
She Was Slain in Model Home.
Her Killer Was Just Executed
Aug 18, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
She Was Slain in Model Home. Her Killer Was Just Executed
Texas executes its second inmate this year
- Texas on Wednesday put to death a man who fatally stabbed a suburban Dallas real estate agent more than 16 years ago, the second execution this year in what has been the nation’s busiest death penalty state. Kosoul Chanthakoummane, 41, received a lethal injection at the state penitentiary in...
SCOTUS Sides With Inmate
Who Asked for Firing Squad
Jun 24, 2022 3:18 AM CDT
SCOTUS Sides With Inmate Who Asked for Firing Squad
Michael Wade Nance says lethal injection would be unusually painful for him
: The Supreme Court has narrowly ruled in favor of a condemned Georgia inmate who has requested death by firing squad because he has a medical condition that would make lethal injection a long and extremely painful process. In a 5-4 decision, the court ruled that Michael Nance could proceed...
Arizona Death Row Inmate
Won't Die in Gas Chamber
May 20, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
Arizona Death Row Inmate Won't Die in Gas Chamber
Frank Atwood is now scheduled to be executed by lethal injection
Arizona death-row inmate Frank Atwood had until 12:01am Friday to select whether he wanted to die via lethal injection or in the state's refurbished gas chamber. He declined to make a choice, so the state's default method—lethal injection—will be used on June 8. It...
Executed in Missouri
May 3, 2022 9:14 PM CDT
Carman Deck Executed in Missouri
It's the country's 5th execution this year
- A Missouri man who killed a couple during a robbery at their rural home more than a quarter of a century ago was put to death Tuesday, becoming just the fifth person executed in the United States this year, the AP reports. Carman Deck, 56, died by injection at the...
Arizona Judge Says 'Law
Enforcement' Not a Profession
Apr 25, 2022 5:39 PM CDT
Arizona Judge Says 'Law Enforcement' Not a Profession
The ruling moves Arizona closer to its first execution since 2014
- "Historically, law enforcement has not been thought of as a ‘profession’ … and has little of the characteristics of what is typically considered a profession," according to Judge Stephen Hopkins of the Maricopa County Superior Court, per NPR . The judge rejected the latest appeal effort by lawyers...
Texas Executes Its
Oldest Death Row Inmate
Apr 21, 2022 8:40 PM CDT
Texas Executes Its Oldest Death Row Inmate
As Tennessee issues temporary reprieve to an inmate there
- Texas’ oldest death row inmate was executed Thursday for killing a Houston police officer during a traffic stop nearly 32 years ago. Carl Wayne Buntion, 78, was executed at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was condemned for the June 1990 fatal shooting of Houston police officer James Irby, a...
Man Who Tortured
Family for 8 Hours
Put to Death
Nov 18, 2021 12:10 AM CST
Man Who Tortured Family for 8 Hours Put to Death
David Neal Cox killed his estranged wife and sexually assaulted her daughter
- A man who pleaded guilty to killing his estranged wife and sexually assaulting her young daughter as her mother lay dying was put to death Wednesday evening, becoming the first inmate executed in Mississippi in nine years. David Neal Cox, 50, abandoned all appeals and filed court papers calling himself...
Oct 29, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
At Oklahoma Execution, a Rare Occurrence
John Marion Grant vomited, convulsed as he was being put to death
- Oklahoma administered the death penalty Thursday on a man who convulsed and vomited as he was executed for the 1998 slaying of a prison cafeteria worker, ending a six-year execution moratorium brought on by concerns over its execution methods, the AP reports. John Marion Grant, 60, who was strapped to...
Death Row Inmates
Oct 28, 2021 12:21 AM CDT
2 Oklahoma Death Row Inmates Get Reprieve
Federal appeals court granted stays of execution Wednesday
- A federal appeals court granted stays of execution on Wednesday for two Oklahoma inmates who were scheduled to receive lethal injections in the coming weeks, the AP reports. A three-member panel of the 10th US Circuit Court of Appeals issued the stays for death row inmates John Marion Grant, who...
Plans for 5
Oct 25, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Judge OKs Oklahoma's Plans for 5 Executions
The method is at issue, with other condemned inmates choosing other drugs or firing squad
- A federal judge in Oklahoma ruled Monday that the state can move forward with scheduled lethal injections for five death row inmates, including Julius Jones, whose case has drawn international attention and who is scheduled to die on Nov. 28. Judge Stephen Friot denied a motion for a preliminary injunction...
After a Brief Reprieve,
Alabama Inmate Executed
Oct 22, 2021 1:40 AM CDT
After a Brief Reprieve, Alabama Inmate Executed
Willie B. Smith III was convicted of killing Sharma Ruth Johnson
An Alabama man who avoided execution in February was put to death Thursday for the 1991 killing of a woman who was abducted during a robbery and then shot in a cemetery. Willie B. Smith III, 52, received a lethal injection at a prison in southwest Alabama, the AP...
Ernest Lee Johnson
Oct 5, 2021 7:16 PM CDT
Missouri Executes Ernest Lee Johnson
He expresses remorse in final statement
- Ernest Lee Johnson was executed by lethal injection at the state prison in Bonne Terre, Missouri Tuesday evening, some 27 years after he killed three convenience store workers in a robbery. A representative for Pope Francis was among those who had called for the state to spare the 61-year-old inmate...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.