Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
We've Had to Kill 9%
of Our Chickens
May 5, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
We've Had to Kill 9% of Our Chickens
Avian flu outbreak has decimated flocks of laying hens
- The avian flu outbreak has taken a huge toll on America's poultry flocks—mainly from culling, not disease—and consumers are feeling the pain with higher prices for eggs, chickens, and a lot of other products. "More than 28 million laying hens have been culled as a result...
'Nervous' Chicken Caught
at Pentagon Checkpoint
Feb 4, 2022 6:36 AM CST
'Nervous' Chicken Caught at Pentagon Checkpoint
It's been named 'Henny Penny'
- A mysterious intruder was found at a Department of Defense security checkpoint earlier this week—and fowl play is suspected. "Apparently, the answer to 'why did the chicken cross the road' is to get to the Pentagon," an animal welfare group tweeted after the bird was spotted...
KFC on New Chicken-Free
Chicken Nugget: 'It's Time'
Jan 6, 2022 2:07 PM CST
KFC on New Chicken-Free Chicken Nugget: 'It's Time'
Chain's Beyond Fried Chicken is a plant-based chicken alternative created with Beyond Meat
- As 2022 kicks into high gear, KFC has a "Kentucky Fried Miracle" to announce: its Beyond Fried Chicken, a plant-based chicken nugget alternative created in partnership with Beyond Meat, per a release from KFC parent company Yum Brands. Starting Monday and for a limited time, the fast-food chain will...
Subway Tuna Lawsuit
Has Taken a New Turn
Nov 12, 2021 5:59 AM CST
Subway Tuna Lawsuit Has Taken a New Turn
3rd version of complaint claims sandwich chain's tuna contains cattle, pork, chicken DNA
The first version of a lawsuit against Subway claimed its tuna wasn't really tuna. The second, which was dismissed, said the tuna wasn't the right kind of tuna. Now, in a new amendment to that proposed class-action complaint, the plaintiffs say testing has found animal proteins in...
Humane League Says Chicken
Has a White Striping Problem
Sep 21, 2021 2:07 PM CDT
Humane League Says Chicken Has a White Striping Problem
It found the fat deposits in at least one breast fillet in 99% of packages it looked at
- The taste of your supermarket chicken hasn't changed, but its makeup has. That's according to a Humane League report out Monday that looked at the increasingly ubiquitous nature of "white striping" among the poultry sold in US stores. Bloomberg explains: Factory farming plumps chickens up on such...
If You Own One of These
Lounge Chairs, Don't Sit in It
Aug 11, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
If You Own One of These Lounge Chairs, Don't Sit in It
True Living Sling Loungers sold by Dollar General recalled over amputation potential
- If your eyes tend to glaze over when you read about product recalls, this one might get your attention.
reports the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued a recall for select True Living Sling Loungers following three confirmed cases of amputations or lacerations in connection with the...
New Shortage for US
Restaurant Chains: Chicken
May 1, 2021 11:35 AM CDT
New Shortage for US Restaurant Chains: Chicken
Popularity of fried-chicken sandwiches at big chains is part of the problem
- Add chicken to the list of products in short supply these days. Bloomberg reports that soaring demand at fast-food restaurants has resulted in a poultry crunch across the US. The Bojangles chain reported a "system-wide shortage" of chicken tenders this week, while industry behemoth KFC says it is just...
Mask Dispute Results
in Robbery of Chicken, Waffles
Feb 4, 2021 11:22 AM CST
Mask Dispute Results in Robbery of Chicken, Waffles
Man was denied service because he wasn't wearing a face covering at Pasadena restaurant
- Refused service because he wasn't wearing a mask, a man returned to a Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles in California armed with a gun, demanded all the chicken and waffles he could carry, then swiped some syrup before making off with his meal. That’s according to...
Yellowstone Ranger Busts Man
Cooking Chickens in Hot Spring
Nov 7, 2020 7:30 AM CST
Yellowstone Ranger Busts Man Cooking Chickens in Hot Spring
Park officials say the Idaho visitor has been banned for 2 years
- Although the pandemic limited many activities over the summer, at least people could partake in quiet outdoor activities, like having small, socially distanced barbecues. An Idaho man, however, has been barred from Yellowstone National Park after he picked the wrong place for his cookout. A park spokeswoman tells East Idaho...
One of America's
Top Chicken Industry
Jun 4, 2020 4:05 AM CDT
One of America's Top Chicken Industry CEOs Indicted
Pilgrim's Pride CEO Jayson Penn indicted on price-fixing charges, along with 3 others
- One of America's top chicken industry CEOs could be caged for up to 10 years as part of a federal antitrust investigation. Pilgrim's Pride CEO Jayson Penn was indicted Wednesday along with former company vice president Roger Austin for alleged price-fixing, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Mikell Fries,...
Meat Shortage Affecting
One Fast-Food Chain's Menus
May 5, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Meat Shortage Affecting One Fast-Food Chain's Menus
Some Wendy's locations don't have burgers
- Despite President Trump's executive order dictating that meat processing plants stay open , the specter of meat shortages is being felt across the US—and customers of at least one fast-food chain are taking notice. Bloomberg notes that Wendy's has long advertised itself as offering hamburgers made from fresh...
As Meat Plants
Shut Down, an
Apr 27, 2020 8:47 AM CDT
As Meat Plants Shut Down, an Ominous Warning
Food supply chain is 'breaking' amid pandemic, says John Tyson, chair for Tyson Foods
- Smithfield Foods and JBS have closed meat-processing sites , while Tyson Foods shut down pork plants in Iowa and Indiana last week after they were found to be hot spots for coronavirus outbreaks. Now Tyson is issuing a dire warning on the state of the industry as a result of the...
Judge Orders Subway to Pay
Big Bucks in Chicken Lawsuit
Mar 1, 2020 1:00 PM CST
Judge Orders Subway to Pay Big Bucks in Chicken Lawsuit
But it's unclear whether the chain did anything wrong
- A CBC report on Subway's chicken sandwiches is going to cost the chain fairly big bucks—regardless of the report's accuracy, the CBC reports. A judge has ordered Subway to reimburse the CBC $500,000 in legal costs after the chain tried to sue over the eye-grabbing 2017...
KFC's New Offering
Leaves Twitter Stunned
Sep 18, 2019 3:58 PM CDT
KFC's New Offering Leaves Twitter Stunned
Yes, that's a fried chicken and doughnut sandwich
- Move over, Heart Attack Grill: KFC is pairing fried chicken with glazed doughnuts in meals that may just make your heart and soul glaze over. Called "Chicken and Donuts," the menu items include a sandwich—a chicken fillet bound by two glazed doughnuts—or, for basket lovers, chicken...
$5K Lawsuit Targets
Aug 31, 2019 12:00 PM CDT
$5K Lawsuit Targets Chicken Sandwiches
Craig Barr accuses Popeyes of deceptive business practices
- A Tennessee man is suing Popeyes Chicken because, he says, they ran out of chicken sandwiches. Craig Barr filed the $5,000 suit Wednesday after what he called repeated attempts to buy the sandwich at different locations, NBC News reports. "I can't get happy; I have this sandwich...
Officials: Woman Playing SUV
'Chicken' Hits 3-Year-Old Son
Jun 22, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
Officials: Woman Playing SUV 'Chicken' Hits 3-Year-Old Son
Lexus Stagg has been charged with criminally negligent homicide
- Authorities say a 26-year-old Houston woman who was driving an SUV toward her children in an apparent game of "chicken" struck and killed her 3-year-old son, the AP reports. Harris County prosecutors said Friday that Lexus Stagg is charged with criminally negligent homicide in the June 11 death of...
Nation's Top Meat Company
Joins Meatless Bandwagon
Jun 13, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Nation's Top Meat Company Joins Meatless Bandwagon
Tyson Foods is coming out with nuggets made from pea protein instead of chicken
- In a sign of just how fast the meat-substitute market is growing, Tyson Foods said Thursday it will be coming out with nuggets made from pea protein instead of chicken. This is the same Tyson Foods that killed 2 billion chickens last year as the nation's biggest meat company,...
Tyson's Latest Recall: 12M
More Pounds of Chicken Strips
May 4, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
Tyson's Latest Recall: 12M More Pounds of Chicken Strips
It's an expansion of a smaller frozen-food recall in March
- The 70,000 pounds of frozen chicken strips yanked off shelves in March now seems like small potatoes compared to Tyson Foods' latest news.
reports the company is now recalling 11.8 million pounds of the strips, an expansion of the original recall, with the Department of Agriculture...
CDC: You May Be Handling
Raw Chicken Incorrectly
May 2, 2019 1:28 PM CDT
CDC: You May Be Handling Raw Chicken Incorrectly
Agency advises against rinsing it off before cooking
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a message: "Don't wash your raw chicken!" The agency estimates a million people fall ill each year after eating contaminated poultry, but it warns in a tweet that rinsing off the meat before cooking can do more harm than...
May 2, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Democrat Taunts Attorney General With Chicken
Rep. Steve Cohen mocks William Barr's decision not to appear before House panel
- Attorney General William Barr opted not to appear Thursday before the House Judiciary Committee, after his lengthy testimony before a Senate panel on Wednesday. As a result, Democrats are now taunting him as a chicken. Toward that end, Rep. Steve Cohen not only placed a toy chicken by Barr's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
All the Uvalde Victims Were in One 4th-Grade Classroom
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.