Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 27, 2023 2:51 PM CST
These Are the Most Sinful Cities in America
Las Vegas ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list, while Pearl City, Hawaii, proves most virtuous
- Christian teachings have long warned against the seven deadly sins, yet since the beginning of time, humans just can't seem to lick their related vices. WalletHub wanted to see which US cities are rife with people acting "illicitly," so it examined more than 180 of the largest...
California Reopens Burnt
Nov 20, 2023 11:00 AM CST
California Reopens Burnt Freeway, Releases Suspect Photos
I-10 was reopened well ahead of initial schedule
- An elevated Los Angeles freeway closed for more than a week because of an arson fire reopened ahead of Monday morning's commute, at least a day earlier than previously announced and weeks ahead of the original estimate. "The 10 is BACK! ... This is what happens when we work...
'Malice Intent' Behind
Massive LA Freeway Fire
Nov 14, 2023 1:00 AM CST
'Malice Intent' Behind Massive LA Freeway Fire
California Gov. Gavin Newsom says investigation is ongoing
- The fire that damaged a major elevated interstate near downtown Los Angeles, shutting it down (and snarling traffic) indefinitely , was likely arson, officials have determined. The blaze started under an overpass early Saturday, and sources tell the
Los Angeles Times
wood pallets and sanitizer (accumulated amid the early days of...
LA's Gnarly Commute
Just Got Worse
Nov 13, 2023 7:26 AM CST
LA's Gnarly Commute Just Got Worse
Fire causes damage to Los Angeles interstate, drivers are urged to take mass transit on Monday
- Los Angeles motorists should expect traffic snarls during the Monday commute as crews assess how much damage was caused by a raging fire over the weekend that closed a major elevated interstate near downtown, officials said. Hazardous materials teams were clearing burned material from underneath Interstate 10 to make way...
These Are the
Spookiest Cities in America
Oct 28, 2023 1:30 PM CDT
These Are the Spookiest Cities in America
New York ascends to the top of WalletHub's rankings for where Halloween is king
- Ready to get your ghoul on? Halloween is on Tuesday, and people across the nation are prepping their costumes, breaking out the candy bowls, and cueing up "Monster Mash" for when trick-or-treaters arrive. If you're wondering which places really know how to get into the spooky spirit, WalletHub...
LA Wants These 5 Sports
Added to the 2028 Olympics
Oct 9, 2023 1:23 PM CDT
LA Wants These 5 Sports Added to the 2028 Olympics
Flag football will likely be included at the games in 2028
- Flag football took a key step toward becoming an Olympic sport in 2028, a victory for the NFL and organizers in Los Angeles who want to bring a distinctly American sport to the Summer Games as they return to the United States for the first time in 32 years. Two...
LA Tests $1K Monthly Payment
to Prevent Homelessness
Oct 5, 2023 7:00 PM CDT
LA Tests $1K Monthly Payment to Prevent Homelessness
Early data suggests pilot program using artificial intelligence to identify those at risk is working
- While some fear artificial intelligence will steal their likeness, work, and jobs, Los Angeles hopes the technology will prevent 20 net people from falling into homelessness each day. "On average, for every 207 individuals who exit homelessness daily, 227 more enter," reads a report cited by KTLA . To...
Sep 20, 2023 8:21 AM CDT
LAPD Honcho Accused of Stalking Officer With AirTag
Al Labrada, assistant chief in department, on leave after allegations of tracking officer with Apple AirTag
- A top-level official with the LAPD who's been there for three decades is now on administrative leave after allegations of stalking a co-worker. Per the
Los Angeles Times
, Chief Michel Moore made the announcement about Al Labrada, one of his three assistant chiefs, during a Tuesday gathering of the...
Marilyn Monroe's Former Home
Under Threat of Demolition
Sep 12, 2023 8:27 AM CDT
Marilyn Monroe's Former Home Under Threat of Demolition
Los Angeles officials considering landmark status for home in which the star died in 1962
- Los Angeles officials have intervened to prevent demolition of the only home Marilyn Monroe ever owned independently, which is also the one in which she died. City residents responded with outrage after the owners of 12305 Fifth Helena Drive applied for permits to demolish the Spanish colonial-style home in which...
Convicted Actor Under
Full-Time Cell Surveillance
Sep 8, 2023 4:55 PM CDT
Convicted Actor Under Full-Time Cell Surveillance
Deputies are watching for indications of mental distress in Danny Masterson
- Jail officials in Los Angeles have Danny Masterson, a onetime actor on a hit TV show who was sentenced Thursday to 30 years to life for committing two rapes, under full-time video surveillance in his cell. Deputies also go to Masterson's cell on the half-hour to check on him,...
Union to Taylor Swift:
Please Postpone LA Shows
Aug 3, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Union to Taylor Swift: Please Postpone LA Shows
Singer urged to show solidarity with striking hotel workers
- Taylor Swift is concluding the US leg of her earthshaking Eras Tour with six sold-out shows near Los Angeles starting Thursday night, but union officials and politicians have urged her to postpone them in solidarity with striking hospitality workers. In an open letter asking the singer to "Speak Now"...
LA's Newest Discovery
Is Blind, Has 486 Legs
Jul 31, 2023 9:20 AM CDT
LA's Newest Discovery Is Blind, Has 486 Legs
Meet the Los Angeles thread millipede, found near a Starbucks and a freeway
- The City of Angels, a metropolis of freeways and traffic, has a newly discovered species named in its honor: the Los Angeles thread millipede. The tiny arthropod was found just underground by naturalists at a Southern California hiking area—near a freeway, a Starbucks, and an Oakley sunglasses store. About...
May Do 50 Hours
Service at FDNY
Jul 25, 2023 7:27 AM CDT
Pete Davidson May Do 50 Hours of Community Service at FDNY
Comedian's father was firefighter who died on 9/11
- Pete Davidson will avoid jail after crashing his car into a house in March and will instead have to perform 50 hours of community service, reports TMZ . One notable twist about that: He could put in those hours at the New York City Fire Department, where his dad was a...
Suspected Random Shooters
Caught in NYC, Los Angeles
Jul 9, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
Suspected Random Shooters Caught in NYC, Los Angeles
In New York, a gunman on a scooter killed one and wounded 3
- A gunman rode around New York City on a motor scooter randomly firing at people over a stretch of two hours on Saturday, say police. An 87-year-old man was killed and three other men were wounded in the shootings in Queens and Brooklyn, reports the
New York Times
. Police have...
Footage Shows Deputy
Throwing Woman to Ground
Jul 6, 2023 12:12 PM CDT
Footage Shows Deputy Throwing Woman to Ground
LA County Sheriff's Department is investigating whether excessive force was used in store lot
- The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is investigating an incident last month in which a woman is seen on video being hurled to the ground by a deputy outside a local grocery store. The
Los Angeles Times
reports that the incident took place June 24, in the parking lot...
Family Finds Small
Fortune in Late
All in Pennies
Jun 10, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Family Finds Small Fortune in Late Man's Home, All in Pennies
And the 1 million coins are worth more than $10K—they're made of pure copper
- For years, California real estate agent John Reyes, his wife, and members of her extended family have been slowly (as their schedules allow) cleaning out the home of her late father, Fritz, located in the Pico-Union neighborhood of Los Angeles. One find in particular, however, in the deceased German immigrant'...
These US Cities Are
a Runner's Paradise
Jun 3, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
These US Cities Are a Runner's Paradise
Relative to the other cities in Lawn Love's latest fitness ranking; San Francisco tops the list
- Next Wednesday is Global Running Day, and some cities are more amenable than others if you're in training to be the next Jackie Joyner-Kersee or Usain Bolt—or even if you just like hitting the pavement to burn off some stress and stay fit. Lawn Love scouted the 200...
Check Out the $61M Digs
J.Lo, Ben Affleck Just Bought
Jun 1, 2023 5:56 AM CDT
Check Out the $61M Digs J.Lo, Ben Affleck Just Bought
Couple splurges for 12-bedroom, 24-bathroom (yes, 24) home in Beverly Hills
- When nature calls, it's good to know your new home has 24 bathrooms to choose from. We're not sure if that feature is what ultimately sold Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck on their new $61 million mansion, but it's the one the
homes in on...
Cops: Teen's Quest for
Social Media Post Kills Him
May 25, 2023 12:50 AM CDT
Cops: Teen's Quest for Social Media Post Kills Him
It happened early Saturday on Los Angeles' 6th Street Viaduct
- A 17-year-old boy fell to his death this weekend while climbing a Los Angeles bridge in an apparent social media stunt, police said. Police were sent to the 6th Street Viaduct around 2am Saturday and found the boy, who was pronounced dead at a hospital. His name wasn't immediately...
A Fateful Dinner in 1965 Led
to a Food Revolution in US
May 14, 2023 1:50 PM CDT
A Fateful Dinner in 1965 Led to a Food Revolution in US
'Los Angeles Times' explains how Noritoshi Kanai and Harry Wolff Jr. popularized sushi
- If you've ever been to a sushi bar or even tasted the Japanese dish, the credit might belong to two men described by Daniel Miller in the
Los Angeles Times
as the "ultimate odd couple." Harry Wolff Jr. was "an imposing Jewish man who’d cut...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.