Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Girl Scouts Have 15M
Tasty Problems This Year
Jun 14, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Girl Scouts Have 15M Tasty Problems This Year
Pandemic has led to a glut of unsold boxes of cookies
- The Girl Scouts have an unusual problem this year: 15 million boxes of unsold cookies. The 109-year-old organization says the coronavirus—not thinner demand for Thin Mints—is the main culprit, per the AP . As the pandemic wore into the spring selling season, many troops nixed their traditional cookie booths...
Rally to Small
Jun 8, 2021 11:26 AM CDT
Supporters Rally to Small Bakery's Cause After Backlash
Texas shop drew anger because it made rainbow treats for Pride month
- For two days in a row, a cookie shop in East Texas had no cookies to sell. In fact, Confections in Lufkin—a bakery specializing in cookies, cupcakes, and sandwiches—had zero inventory at all, per CBS News . For the owners, sisters Dawn Cooley and Miranda Dolder, it was a...
Unsold Girl Scout Cookies
Lead to Federal Relief
Apr 27, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
Unsold Girl Scout Cookies Lead to Federal Relief
Alaskan council gets an emergency loan
- It may not be the first business you think of when it comes to coronavirus shutdowns, but the sale of Girl Scout Cookies was cut short amid the outbreak. And in Alaska anyway, that has resulted in federal relief through a Paycheck Protection Program loan, reports the
Anchorage Daily News
Baking Cookies in Space
Takes Surprisingly Long Time
Jan 24, 2020 1:45 PM CST
Baking Cookies in Space Takes Surprisingly Long Time
First space food baked from raw ingredients took 2 hours
- The results are finally in for the first chocolate chip cookie bake-off in space. While looking more or less normal, the best cookies required two hours of baking time last month up at the International Space Station, per the AP . And how do they taste? No one knows. Still sealed...
Man Drops $540 on Cookies
to Get Girl Scouts Out of Cold
Feb 26, 2019 7:44 AM CST
Man Drops $540 on Cookies to Get Girl Scouts Out of Cold
SC's Troop 1574 'stood there in shock'
- A $540 cookie purchase has warmed Girl Scouts in more ways than one. After two hours on Friday of standing in 34-degree cold outside a store in Greenville, SC, Troop 1574 still had plenty of cookies to sell, reports
. That's when a man who'd already purchased...
'Build That Wall'
Cookie Not Going Over Well
Jan 29, 2019 2:50 PM CST
'Build That Wall' Cookie Not Going Over Well
Baker owner Ken Bellingham says it was meant as a joke
- Ken Bellingham says he wrote "Build that Wall" on a heart-shaped cookie as a joke for Valentine's Day. But "I guess the joke is on me," the owner of Edmonds Bakery in Edmonds, Wash., tells KING5 after social media users labeled the bakery "racist" and...
Kellogg May Be
Losing Keebler Elves
Nov 13, 2018 7:27 AM CST
Kellogg May Be Losing Keebler Elves
And Famous Amos cookies, too
- Snack brands Keebler and Famous Amos are up for grabs: Cereal maker Kellogg is exploring the sale of its cookie and fruit snack businesses, including Keebler, Famous Amos, Mother's Cookies, Murray Cookies, Little Brownie Bakers, and Kellogg's Fruity Snacks. Despite $900 million in annual sales, the brands "...
Cops: Cookies With
Human Remains Possibly
Doled Out at School
Oct 17, 2018 7:20 AM CDT
Cops: Cookies With Human Remains Possibly Doled Out at School
The treats may have contained the ashes of a California student's grandparent
- It's Halloween season, meaning candy corn, Mallomars, pumpkin spice everything, and ... cookies with human remains? That's the snack that at least one California student reportedly brought to Da Vinci Charter Academy High School in Davis, per the
San Francisco Chronicle
, containing the not-appetizing ingredient of a grandparent's...
Ignore That Cookie Monster
Cat Email From State Dept.
Oct 15, 2018 8:35 AM CDT
Ignore That Cookie Monster Cat Email From State Dept.
US Embassy in Australia blames 'training error' for odd email blast
- The US hasn't had an ambassador to Australia in place for two years, the longest stretch since WWII—which may explain why things are getting low-key chaotic Down Under at the American embassy. The BBC reports that an apology has been issued after a "training error" resulted in...
PETA Push Leads to Change
on Animal Cracker Boxes
Aug 21, 2018 12:06 PM CDT
PETA Push Leads to Change on Animal Cracker Boxes
No more cages on Nabisco snack packaging
- We probably wouldn't want to see lions, elephants, and gorillas at the local zoo or circus busting out from behind bars, but on Nabisco's updated animal-cracker packaging, going cage-free has been deemed perfectly safe.
reports the company has removed any depiction of cages on its boxes...
Guy Cuts Finger, Still
Wins Food Network Show
Dec 24, 2017 11:17 AM CST
Guy Cuts Finger, Still Wins Food Network Show
Doug Alley cleaned up with $10K prize on 'Christmas Cookie Challenge'
- A Massachusetts teacher is one tough cookie—he cut his finger on the Food Network's "Christmas Cookie Challenge" show and still won the competition, reports the AP . Doug Alley lives in Rhode Island but teaches culinary arts at Upper Cape Cod Regional Technical School in Bourne, Mass., and...
Secret to Amazing Chocolate
Chip Cookies? Bang Them
in case you missed it
Oct 21, 2017 5:23 PM CDT
Secret to Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookies? Bang Them
Thanks to a high-profile plug, Sarah Kieffer's recipe went viral
- "It's all in the pan-bang," baker-blogger Sarah Kieffer says of her unusual chocolate chip cookies. The Minnesota baker's not-so-secret recipe had already been circulating on Instagram when the
New York Times
tested it out, and after the
covered it, it went viral. Kieffer detailed her...
Dec 5, 2015 10:01 AM CST
Trader Joe's Accused of Stealing a Popular Cookie
'Malicious and calculated to injure Pepperidge Farm'
- In news that broke Friday—shattering the innocence of National Cookie Day —Pepperidge Farm is suing Trader Joe's over alleged cookie trademark infringement. Pepperidge Farm claims the grocery chain's Crispy Cookies are too similar to its Milano cookies, which it started selling in 1956 and registered a...
Inside the Story
of Colorado's First
'Legal Pot' Death
Jul 25, 2015 7:40 AM CDT
Inside the Story of Colorado's First 'Legal Pot' Death
The teen had no other drug in his system when he jumped to his death
- There's a saying in the health care world: dose matters. It certainly did in the case of 19-year-old Levy Thamba, a native of the Democratic Republic of the Congo who was studying at Wyoming's Northwest College. While in Denver with friends on spring break in March of 2014,...
Don't You Dare Dunk 'Sophisticated' New Oreos
Jul 6, 2015 9:29 AM CDT
Don't You Dare Dunk 'Sophisticated' New Oreos
Apparently adults shouldn't play with their food
- After a foray into the "red velvet" craze , Oreos are getting a skinny new look as part of a "sophisticated" design meant to appeal to grown-ups. Mondelez International Inc. says it will add Oreo Thins to its permanent lineup in the US starting next week. The cookies look...
Verizon Phones Raise
New Privacy Fears
Jan 26, 2015 6:30 PM CST
Verizon Phones Raise New Privacy Fears
Company 'supercookies' can't be deleted
- Verizon phones can apparently track you, even if you try to stop them. This month a Stanford University lawyer confirmed on his blog what cybersecurity experts have warned for a while : You can delete cookies on Verizon phones, but the company's so-called "supercookies" remain, allowing advertisers to target...
How to Make
Sep 7, 2014 12:40 PM CDT
Revealed: How to Make Chocolate-Chip Cookies... Perfectly
No matter how you like them
- There is no one universally perfect chocolate-chip cookie: Some of us like them soft, some crispy, some thick, some thin. Fortunately, OZY has the secrets to making them exactly the way you like, and the site is sharing its findings with the world. It all starts with the Nestle Toll...
Cops: Man Strangles
Roomie Over 3 Cookies
Aug 3, 2014 3:31 PM CDT
Cops: Man Strangles Roomie Over 3 Cookies
Illinois man got mad when Chips Ahoy cookies went missing
- A woman who ate her roommate's cookies got a little surprise Wednesday when he allegedly flew into a rage and tried strangling her, Gawker reports. Police say that Allen Hall, 23, discovered the three missing Chips Ahoy cookies eaten by his 49-year-old roommate for breakfast. He then repeatedly threatened...
New Oreo Flavor:
Jan 24, 2014 3:00 AM CST
New Oreo Flavor: Cookie Dough
Classic cookie gets 2 new varieties
- In a creation the
Los Angeles Times
likens to "a chicken stuffed with eggs," Oreo is set to unveil a cookie dough-flavored cookie as one of two new versions of its classic cookie. The other new flavor is Marshmallow Crispy, which the
New York Daily News
Plot New Ways
to Track You
Oct 29, 2013 9:37 AM CDT
What Cookies? Google, Microsoft Plot New Ways to Track You
Systems could mean big gains for tech firms
- The Internet's biggest players are taking a bite out of cookies. Google, Facebook, and Microsoft are all working on ways to track users on their own, without the help of the small data chunks that reveal online activity, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. The company that wins what one...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Crazy Homecoming Scandal May Result in Serious Jail Time
Fauci Says US Could Face 'Fifth Wave' as Omicron Spreads
Food Prices May Spike Again, Thanks to a New Shortage
61 People Have Been Stuck in a Pub Since Friday
After 3 Years, Mystery of Whale Postcards Is Solved
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.