Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to Be a Senator
in 2 Days
Oct 2, 2023 6:19 AM CDT
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Laphonza Butler, president of Emily's List, is Gavin Newsom's pick to replace Dianne Feinstein
- The woman who will become the newest US senator may not be a household name nationally, but she is a familiar figure in California political circles. Gov. Gavin Newsom has picked Laphonza Butler to fill the seat of the late Dianne Feinstein , reports Politico . Some basics:
Butler, 44, is the
One Line Explained Feinstein's
Role in Gay Rights
Sep 29, 2023 10:53 AM CDT
One Line Explained Feinstein's Role in Gay Rights
She 'doesn't care who you sleep with, as long as you're in bed by 11 o'clock," a gay ally once said
- Dianne Feinstein, who has died at the age of 90 , is being hailed as a trailblazer for women. She was, after all, the first female mayor of San Francisco before moving on to the US Senate, notes ABC News . But as Politico notes in a story headlined "The Dianne...
McConnell Called Allies
After Freezing Up Again
Aug 31, 2023 11:21 AM CDT
McConnell Called Allies After Freezing Up Again
Marjorie Taylor Greene says he's 'not fit for office'
- Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's office says he was "momentarily lightheaded" when he froze up while speaking to reporters in Kentucky on Wednesday—but insiders say concerns about the 81-year-old's ability to remain in a leadership role are growing. McConnell had a similar episode a month ago...
Power of Attorney
Aug 4, 2023 12:08 PM CDT
Daughter Has Power of Attorney Over Congress' Oldest Member
Questions arise at revelation over control of Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein's legal affairs
- Dianne Feinstein turned 90 last month, but the Democratic senator is still punching in for duty on Capitol Hill, despite not-so-subtle whispers about her cognitive abilities and overall health . Now, a new revelation has emerged via the
New York Times
, which reports that Feinstein's only child, 66-year-old daughter Katherine...
GOP Senator at
'I Don't Want Reality'
Jun 1, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
GOP Senator at Committee Hearing: 'I Don't Want Reality'
Sen. Markwayne Mullin draws laughs while discussing the teaching of race in schools
- A Republican senator was trying to draw attention to a book about race taught in schools, but he instead made himself a laughingstock Wednesday during a committee hearing on child care. During a testy exchange, Oklahoma Sen. Markwayne Mullin told a witness that "I don't want reality,"...
Big Name Pops
Up as Possible
May 25, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Big Name Pops Up as Possible Feinstein Replacement
'Floated in California circle' as debate continues on whether 89-year-old senator should resign: Oprah
- From a recent "concerning" exchange with a journalist, to the odd revelation that Nancy Pelosi's daughter is serving as her aide, Sen. Dianne Feinstein continues to spur questions on whether she should step down after a debilitating bout of shingles and related conditions . One person on the side...
Apr 3, 2023 1:09 AM CDT
John Fetterman Describes a 'Downward Spiral'
First interview with senator since his discharge airs on CBS
- John Fetterman says a "downward spiral" started after he beat out Dr. Mehmet Oz for a Senate seat and kept getting worse until, soon after he was sworn in, the Pennsylvania senator wasn't eating, struggled to get out of bed, and felt like he was just going through...
Hospital: 'I Am So
Happy to Be Home'
Apr 1, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Fetterman Leaves Hospital: 'I Am So Happy to Be Home'
Pennsylvania senator had been in treatment for clinical depression, will be back to work in mid-April
- A month and a half after checking himself into a DC hospital to be treated for clinical depression, John Fetterman has been discharged, his office says in a statement, per Reuters . "I am so happy to be home," the Pennsylvania senator tweeted late Friday afternoon after leaving Walter...
Flipped Ron Klain
Mar 23, 2023 11:07 AM CDT
Report: Sinema Slammed Schumer, Flipped Ron Klain the Bird
Sources also tell Politico that independent Arizona senator called Dems 'old dudes eating Jell-O'
- Some have begun to speculate that yes, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema might be able to pull off a reelection win in Arizona if she runs, using her new "independent" status to siphon off independent voters and moderate Republican voters from her opponents. It looks like those are the voters she...
'Do You Still
Feb 27, 2023 10:20 AM CST
'Do You Still Identify as a Democrat?' Manchin Dodges
'I identify as an American,' the West Virginia Democrat says instead
- It was a simple enough question. But Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin's response—or non-response—during an appearance over the weekend on Fox News is raising some eyebrows. The exchange, per
Fox's Maria Bartiromo:
"Do you still identify as a Democrat?"
"I identify as
Feb 16, 2023 2:26 PM CST
Fetterman Is Hospitalized for Depression
Pennsylvania senator had been admitted last week after feeling lightheaded
- John Fetterman has checked himself back into the hospital, this time over clinical depression, reports the
New York Times
. The move comes after the Pennsylvania senator was hospitalized last week when his staff said he felt lightheaded. “While John has experienced depression off and on throughout his life, it...
Oldest Sitting Senator
Won't Run for Reelection
Feb 14, 2023 1:30 PM CST
Oldest Sitting Senator Won't Run for Reelection
Dianne Feinstein, 89, confirms the rumors
- Longtime Sen. Dianne Feinstein confirmed Tuesday what all of Washington already assumed—she won't be running for reelection, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. "I am announcing today I will not run for reelection in 2024, but intend to accomplish as much for California as I can through the...
GOP Senator Comes Up With
Colorful Insult for Santos
Jan 25, 2023 8:09 AM CST
GOP Senator Comes Up With Colorful Insult for Santos
John Kennedy calls fellow Republican a 'bunny boiler,' a reference to 1987's 'Fatal Attraction'
- Rep. George Santos has been rather busy since the 118th Congress convened on Jan. 3, though not all with duties related to his new role as a US congressman. He's mainly been playing defense against his ever-evolving laundry list of lies , the barbs of late-night comedians , and allegations of...
Report Details 'Onerous'
Rules for Sinema Staffers
Dec 22, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Report Details 'Onerous' Rules for Sinema Staffers
Daily Beast has instructions that cover everything from senator's eating schedule to travel 'minefield'
- Kyrsten Sinema, the senator from Arizona who announced earlier this month that she's leaving the Democratic Party to register as an independent, "stands apart" from other senators who've taken a similar route, per Intelligencer , which dives into the ways she differs from those party-switching counterparts. The Daily...
Reporter Stumbles Onto
Kyrsten Sinema's 'Side Hustle'
in case you missed it
Dec 18, 2022 4:20 PM CST
Reporter Stumbles Onto Kyrsten Sinema's 'Side Hustle'
Arizona senator is an active seller of clothes, athletic gear on Facebook Marketplace
- A post at Slate by writer Christina Cauterucci declares in its headline, "I think I found Kyrsten Sinema's side hustle." That side hustle: The Arizona senator, newly independent , is an active seller of hand-me-down designer clothes and used athletic gear at Facebook Marketplace. For example, Cauterucci bought...
Gets Bad News
Aug 15, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
SC senator is ordered to testify about calls he made after Trump's loss in 2020 election
- Lindsey Graham just lost a key battle in his fight to avoid testifying about his actions after the 2020 election. A federal judge in Atlanta on Monday ruled that the GOP senator from South Carolina must appear before a special grand jury in Fulton County that's investigating election meddling...
Cite Concerns on
Apr 15, 2022 12:57 PM CDT
Lawmakers Cite Concerns on Feinstein's Memory, She Balks
'I'm rather puzzled,' 88-year-old Dem senator says of 'Chronicle' report on her mental acuity
- Dianne Feinstein is pushing back on a report that her memory is fading and she may be mentally unfit to continue serving in the US Senate—concerns voiced even by fellow Democrats. On Thursday, the
San Francisco Chronicle
published those concerns from ex-staffers, four senators (three of them Democrats), and...
Back in Senate
Mar 3, 2022 6:37 PM CST
Democrat Is Back in Senate After Stroke
Absence had threatened to complicate the Supreme Court confirmation vote for his party
: Sen. Ben Ray Lujan received a bipartisan standing ovation when he walked into a committee meeting Thursday. The New Mexico Democrat had been gone a month after suffering a major stroke. Lujan told reporters he's "back to work" and plans to be fully involved in the job;...
Had Good News
Nov 18, 2021 12:42 AM CST
Amy Klobuchar's 6-Month Follow-Up Had Good News
Minnesota senator is cancer-free
Amy Klobuchar is cancer-free. The Democratic senator tweeted Wednesday that following her recent six-month "post-cancer" check-up, "everything was clear." After expressing gratitude to her family, friends, doctors, and nurses, she ended the post by reminding her followers to schedule their mammograms,
Democrat Is Retiring
Nov 15, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Senate's Longest-Serving Democrat Is Retiring
Vermont's Patrick Leahy won't run for re-election
- The longest-serving Democratic senator is calling it quits. Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont said Monday that he won't run for re-election next year, reports Politico . "It is time to pass the torch to the next Vermonter who will carry on this work for our great state," the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Law Would Jail Parents Whose Children Aren't Vaccinated
She's Expected to Be a Senator in 2 Days
Married Couple Killed by Grizzly Bear in Banff
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Her Plea Deal Stated She'd Serve 8 Years. She'll Do More
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.