Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cite Concerns on
Apr 15, 2022 12:57 PM CDT
Lawmakers Cite Concerns on Feinstein's Memory, She Balks
'I'm rather puzzled,' 88-year-old Dem senator says of 'Chronicle' report on her mental acuity
- Dianne Feinstein is pushing back on a report that her memory is fading and she may be mentally unfit to continue serving in the US Senate—concerns voiced even by fellow Democrats. On Thursday, the
San Francisco Chronicle
published those concerns from ex-staffers, four senators (three of them Democrats), and...
Back in Senate
Mar 3, 2022 6:37 PM CST
Democrat Is Back in Senate After Stroke
Absence had threatened to complicate the Supreme Court confirmation vote for his party
: Sen. Ben Ray Lujan received a bipartisan standing ovation when he walked into a committee meeting Thursday. The New Mexico Democrat had been gone a month after suffering a major stroke. Lujan told reporters he's "back to work" and plans to be fully involved in the job;...
Had Good News
Nov 18, 2021 12:42 AM CST
Amy Klobuchar's 6-Month Follow-Up Had Good News
Minnesota senator is cancer-free
Amy Klobuchar is cancer-free. The Democratic senator tweeted Wednesday that following her recent six-month "post-cancer" check-up, "everything was clear." After expressing gratitude to her family, friends, doctors, and nurses, she ended the post by reminding her followers to schedule their mammograms,
Democrat Is Retiring
Nov 15, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Senate's Longest-Serving Democrat Is Retiring
Vermont's Patrick Leahy won't run for re-election
- The longest-serving Democratic senator is calling it quits. Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont said Monday that he won't run for re-election next year, reports Politico . "It is time to pass the torch to the next Vermonter who will carry on this work for our great state," the...
On Senator's Side, GOP Brass.
In Challenger's Corner, Trump
Nov 13, 2021 6:00 AM CST
On Senator's Side, GOP Brass. In Challenger's Corner, Trump
Alaska's Murkowski launches 2022 reelection campaign, with Trump endorsee Tshibaka looming
- Only one of seven Republican senators who found Donald Trump guilty in his second impeachment trial is up for reelection in 2022, and she's now officially made her bid, with a challenger who's been endorsed by the former president. Lisa Murkowski filed on Friday to run for her...
Nov 2, 2021 11:47 AM CDT
Josh Hawley Starts Debate on Manhood
Senator says liberals are turning young men into pathetic creatures hooked on porn, video games
- Conservative Sen. Josh Hawley of Missouri opened a fresh battle in the culture wars with a defense of masculinity, arguing that the left is turning young men into wimpy creatures addicted to porn and video games. That, in turn, triggered a backlash against the 41-year-old. Coverage:
SEC Filing Puts
Call Under the
Oct 29, 2021 9:41 AM CDT
SEC Filing Puts 50-Second Burr Call Under the Microscope
Agency: Senator's brother-in-law dumped stocks after conferring with Burr in early days of pandemic
- In February 2020, Sen. Richard Burr was the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee, as well as a member of the chamber's Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions panel. He also had staffers tasked with helping out with the emerging pandemic. Those ties, and the knowledge on the coronavirus he...
Republican Is Running Again
Sep 24, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Longest-Serving Senate Republican Is Running Again
Chuck Grassley, 88, says he has 'a lot more to do' for Iowa
- During his predawn jog on Friday, GOP Sen. Chuck Grassley tweeted a message to his followers that had a bit of a double meaning. "I'm running," he posted , and while he meant it literally, he was also referring to a decision he'd recently arrived at with...
Senator on Club Membership: 'I
Don't Spend a Lot of Time There'
Jun 22, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Senator on Club Membership: 'I Don't Spend a Lot of Time There'
RI Dem Sheldon Whitehouse is in the hot seat again about his ties to an allegedly 'all white' Newport club
- A Democratic senator from Rhode Island is playing defense after he was grilled this week about his family's long-standing membership at an exclusive beach club. GoLocal Providence describes Bailey's Beach Club in Newport—which has had Sheldon Whitehouse, his wife, and other relatives as members for decades—as...
Schumer Has Potential Way
to Pressure Joe Manchin
Jun 8, 2021 8:58 AM CDT
Schumer Has Potential Way to Pressure Joe Manchin
He could call a secret vote to strip West Virginian's chairmanship of energy panel
- The dust is settling on Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin's decision over the weekend to buck his own party on a voting-rights bill, and there's no shortage of thoughts on what the Manchin vote in general means for the Senate. The 73-year-old may be a Democrat, but he represents...
Video Call Busted
by His Seat Belt
in case you missed it
May 9, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Lawmaker on Video Call Busted by His Seat Belt
State Sen. Andrew Brennerd drives while Zooming, on day Ohio unveils distracted-driving bill
- On Monday, House Bill 283 was introduced in Ohio in a bid to tamp down on distracted driving by banning texting, taking photos, livestreaming, or otherwise using an electronic device while behind the wheel. That same day, a state senator was busted doing just that during a virtual meeting of...
of 'Big Push'
Apr 23, 2021 1:43 PM CDT
Ron Johnson 'Highly Suspicious' of 'Big Push' on Vaccination
Wisconsin senator says we shouldn't 'shame' people who choose not to get COVID vaccine
- One of the ways health officials say we can start to bring the pandemic to an end is to ensure a high percentage of the population gets vaccinated, achieving herd immunity . That's why comments from Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson are bringing heat, with some accusing him of promoting vaccine...
Mar 16, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Senator Accuses Left of Distorting His Words
Ron Johnson defends comparison between Capitol riot and Black Lives Matter unrest
- Republican Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin took much flak last week when he told interviewer Joe Pags that he was never concerned about his safety during the Capitol riot. "Now, had the tables been turned—Joe, this could get me in trouble—had the tables been turned, and President...
Trial Taken to Hospital
Jan 26, 2021 11:04 PM CST
Senator Presiding Over Impeachment Trial Taken to Hospital
Patrick Leahy undergoes tests after feeling ill, then heads home
- Sen. Patrick Leahy, who's presiding over the impeachment trial of former President Trump, was taken to a hospital Tuesday evening after saying he didn't feel well. After an evaluation, including tests, Leahy went home, the Hill reports. The Capitol physician had conducted a brief exam of his own,...
Josh Hawley's 8th-Grade
Yearbook Had Telling Signature
Jan 25, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Josh Hawley's 8th-Grade Yearbook Had Telling Signature
'Josh Hawley, president 2024'
- Josh Hawley has been roundly condemned by Democrats in the wake of the Capitol riot because of his prominent role in backing former President Trump's election challenge. On Monday, however, the Missouri senator fought back in two notable ways. He scored the cover of the right-leaning
New York Post
Republican Senator Says
He Won't Seek Reelection
Jan 25, 2021 10:02 AM CST
Republican Senator Says He Won't Seek Reelection
Ohio's Rob Portman is leaving; will 'Hillbilly Elegy' author JD Vance replace him?
- Republican Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio said Monday he won't seek reelection in 2022 and plans to end a career in federal government spanning more than three decades, per the AP . "It has gotten harder and harder to break through the partisan gridlock and make progress on substantive...
'I'm Not Heartless'
Dec 19, 2020 6:30 AM CST
GOP Senator on Blocking Stimulus Checks: 'I'm Not Heartless'
Ron Johnson insists $1,200 checks aren't the way to go, would balloon national debt
- As the end of the year draws near, Capitol Hill is still wrangling with a new COVID relief plan—and this week, one GOP senator made clear his views on stimulus checks to Americans as part of that plan. The Hill reports that on Friday, Republican Sen. Josh Hawley of...
Utah Senator Blocks
National Latino Museum
Dec 11, 2020 8:12 AM CST
Utah Senator Blocks National Latino Museum
And one for women, with Mike Lee saying we don't need 'separate but equal' Smithsonian museums
- For more than 25 years, there's been an effort to establish a national Latino museum within the Smithsonian Institution's museum family. And that dream seemed closer to coming to fruition this week, with bipartisan legislation toward that end on the Senate table. Enter Utah Sen. Mike Lee, who...
Rick Scott: I've Got COVID
Nov 20, 2020 10:03 AM CST
Rick Scott: I've Got COVID
Florida senator says he's 'feeling good' with mild symptoms, is quarantining at home in Naples
- Florida's Rick Scott is the latest senator to test positive for the coronavirus. The 67-year-old made the announcement Friday, noting he came into contact with someone after he returned to his home state on Nov. 13, and that person then tested positive, WESH reports. "I am feeling good...
GOP Senator Says He'll Go to
Bat for Biden on Intel Briefs
Nov 12, 2020 7:24 AM CST
GOP Senator Says He'll Go to Bat for Biden on Intel Briefs
James Lankford of Okla.: I'll 'step in' if president-elect isn't given access by Friday
- President Trump still hasn't conceded to Joe Biden, and the president-elect still hasn't been given access to transition funding and intelligence briefings. In pushing to get those resources, it looks like Biden will have a new ally come Friday: GOP Sen. James Lankford of Oklahoma says he'll...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
Virginia Republicans Take Barnes & Noble to Court
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.