Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Madison Cawthorn Issues
Defiant Message After Loss
May 20, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
It's time for 'Dark MAGA' to rise, says outgoing North Carolina congressman
- The youngest member of Congress—and one of the most controversial —will not be returning after losing his North Carolina primary this week. But in a social media post Thursday, 26-year-old Madison Cawthorn sounded very much like a man who isn't done with politics.
of Madison Cawthorn
May 13, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
Politico Paints Troubling Portrait of Madison Cawthorn
GOP congressman derides 'hit piece' depicting him as 'very unwell'
- Earlier this week, GOP Rep. Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina told his Twitter followers that Politico was preparing a "hit piece" on him and derided author Michael Kruse as biased. Well, that lengthy profile is now out, and it does indeed paint a devastating portrait of the 26-year-old, whose...
He Was a
Almost as Long
as His State
Was a State
Mar 19, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
He Was a Congressman Almost as Long as His State Was a State
Don Young of Alaska, longest-serving member of House of Representatives, dies at 88
- Alaska gets one member in the US House of Representatives, and for most of the time that it's been a state, that member has been Don Young. On Friday, the Last Frontier bid farewell to Young, 88, the dean of the House as its longest-serving member, who died while...
Jan 20, 2022 7:56 AM CST
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
Agents seen removing computer, other items from Henry Cuellar's Laredo residence
- FBI agents searched the home of longtime congressman Rep. Henry Cuellar in Laredo, Texas, on Wednesday. The bureau confirmed it was "conducting court-authorized law enforcement activity" at the residence of the moderate Democrat, but said it "cannot provide further comment on an ongoing investigation," per CNN . A...
Kinzinger: I Was Ready to
Shoot Capitol Rioters
Nov 10, 2021 7:37 AM CST
Kinzinger: I Was Ready to Shoot Capitol Rioters
GOP congressman was 'prepared to defend against my own party' on Jan. 6 as he hid in office
- Adam Kinzinger was at the US Capitol during the Jan. 6 riot, and in a new interview with
, he reveals what was going through his head that day as he "hunkered down" in his office, hiding from the rioters. The 43-year-old Congressman from Illinois says he'd...
GOP Congressman Who Made
'Legitimate Rape' Remark Dies
Oct 4, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
GOP Congressman Who Made 'Legitimate Rape' Remark Dies
Mo.'s Todd Akin, who made inflammatory comment about abortion and women's bodies, has died at 74
- Former US Rep. Todd Akin, a conservative Missouri Republican whose comment that women's bodies have a way of avoiding pregnancies in cases of "legitimate rape" sunk his bid for the US Senate, and who became a cautionary tale for other GOP candidates, died late Sunday. He was 74....
Report: Rogue Congressman
Trying to Enter Afghanistan
Sep 1, 2021 9:26 AM CDT
Report: Rogue Congressman Trying to Enter Afghanistan
'WaPo' reports Rep. Markwayne Mullin has been trying to carry out evacuation effort
- Reps. Seth Moulton and Peter Meijer made it into Afghanistan without authorization. The
reports another congressman has tried and failed to do the same. Rep. Markwayne Mullin has allegedly tried to make his way into the country twice in the past two weeks to carry out an evacuation...
Alcee Hastings Is Dead
Apr 6, 2021 9:44 AM CDT
Longtime Congressman Alcee Hastings Is Dead
Florida Democrat was elected after being impeached as a federal judge
- Longtime Congressman Alcee Hastings of Florida has died at age 84 after a two-year fight with pancreatic cancer. The Palm Beach County Democrat died Tuesday, according to chief of staff Lale M. Morrison. Hastings had been a reliably liberal voice on Capitol Hill since he first won his seat in...
Swalwell Suit: Trump Was
'Delighted' About Capitol Riot
Mar 5, 2021 10:45 AM CST
Swalwell Suit: Trump Was 'Delighted' About Capitol Riot
Congressman also names Donald Trump Jr., Rudy Giuliani, Rep. Mo Brooks in complaint
- Fallout from the attack at the US Capitol continues, this time with a new lawsuit against Donald Trump from another Democratic congressman. Last month, a complaint was filed by the NAACP on behalf of Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, claiming the former president—as well as lawyer Rudy Giuliani and...
Lawmaker Votes for Police
Reform, Immediately Regrets It
Mar 4, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Lawmaker Votes for Police Reform, Immediately Regrets It
GOP's Lance Gooden says he pressed the wrong button
- Rep. Lance Gooden voted for a police reform bill Wednesday night that bans chokeholds and certain no-knock warrants, among other measures—and he wants his constituents in Texas to know that he sincerely regrets the error. Gooden, the only Republican who voted to pass the George Floyd Justice in Policing...
Feb 27, 2021 7:30 AM CST
Damning Report Details Claims Against Freshman Congressman
Dozens of ex-college classmates allege sexual misconduct by Madison Cawthorn to BuzzFeed
- Madison Cawthorn spoke at CPAC on Friday, as well as voted by proxy against President Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID relief bill . But there's another reason the 25-year-old North Carolina congressman's name is now in headlines. BuzzFeed News interviewed more than two dozen former classmates, as well...
Rep. Ron Wright Dies
After Contracting COVID
Feb 8, 2021 11:20 AM CST
Rep. Ron Wright Dies After Contracting COVID
Texas lawmaker, 67, also had been battling lung cancer
- A Texas congressman has died less than three weeks after testing positive for COVID, reports the Hill . Republican Rep. Ron Wright, 67, also had been battling lung cancer the last few years, reports Politico . In fact, he'd been hospitalized as recently as September because of complications with his cancer...
Let Rioters Into
Faces the Music
Jan 12, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Lawmaker Who Let Rioters Into State Capitol Faces the Music
Oregon Rep. Mike Nearman was seen letting in demonstrators during special legislative session
- Another lawmaker is facing heat for a Capitol breach, this time in the Pacific Northwest. When far-right protesters descended on the Oregon Capitol on Dec. 21 during a special legislative session, surveillance video (available here via the
) showed GOP Rep. Mike Nearman exiting through a side door, and...
Jan 7, 2021 7:05 PM CST
Heartbroken Lawmaker Joins Cleanup
Rep. Andy Kim felt a 'supercharged kind of patriotism'
- In the early morning hours of Thursday, after enduring an attack on the US Capitol the afternoon before and finally getting to vote to certify the election of President-elect Joe Biden, Rep. Andy Kim saw that there was more to be done. Before he left the building, he joined officers...
Dec 11, 2020 3:35 PM CST
Newspaper Apologizes for Endorsement
'Orlando Sentinel' rips Fla. GOP Rep. Michael Waltz for signing on to Texas election suit
- More than 100 House Republicans have signed on to a Texas lawsuit trying to overturn President-elect Joe Biden's win, and a local paper that endorsed one of them is now offering a public mea culpa. "We apologize for endorsing US Rep. Michael Waltz, who wants to overturn the...
3 Seconds of
Speech Goes Viral
Dec 9, 2020 10:55 AM CST
3 Seconds of Rep. Gohmert's Speech Goes Viral
Because the Texas lawmaker appears to lose a tooth
- It's not unusual for a politician's speech to go viral, but a 3-second clip of comments given by Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert on Tuesday managed to rack up 1.3 million views for a rather unusual reason. As the Recount put it in the caption of the now-viral...
'We All Know That
John Got in Trouble'
Jul 25, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
'We All Know That John Got in Trouble'
Georgia congressman John Lewis is remembered in Alabama
- Civil rights icon and longtime Georgia congressman John Lewis was remembered Saturday—in the rural Alabama county where his story began—as a humble man who sprang from his family’s farm with a vision that "good trouble" could change the world, the AP reports. The morning service in...
The 'Conscience of
Congress' Has Died
Jul 18, 2020 5:28 AM CDT
The 'Conscience of Congress' Has Died
Congressman John Lewis, a giant in the civil rights movement, is gone at age 80 after cancer battle
- John Lewis, the son of Alabama sharecroppers who became a giant in the civil rights movement, was arrested dozens of times in his fight for racial and social justice, and served 33 years in Congress, has died at the age of 80. The AP reports that Lewis' death was confirmed...
It's Official: Progressive Ousts
Longtime NYC Congressman
Jul 17, 2020 1:15 PM CDT
It's Official: Progressive Ousts Longtime NYC Congressman
AP calls the race for Jamaal Bowman, leaving Democrat Eliot Engel out after 16 terms
- Former middle-school teacher Jamaal Bowman declared victory shortly after the June 23 New York primary in his race against longtime New York City Congressman Eliot Engel. But with a large haul of mail-in ballots to be counted due to the pandemic, Bowman wasn't able to officially be deemed the...
Newcomer Declares Victory
in AOC-Like Stunner
Jun 25, 2020 11:20 AM CDT
Newcomer Declares Victory in AOC-Like Stunner
Jamaal Bowman says he has ousted longtime Congressman Eliot Engel in New York City
- The race hasn't been officially called, but it appears that longtime New York City Congressman Eliot Engel is being ousted by a political novice in the mold of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The newcomer is Jamaal Bowman, a 44-year-old middle school principal and progressive, who declared victory in the Democratic primary...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
Cops: Man Was Shot Dead for Driving Too Slowly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.