Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Makes the Call
Jul 8, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
House or Senate Run? Top Dem Makes the Call
Maryland Rep. Jamie Raskin is going for his 5th term in the House of Representatives
- Congressman Jamie Raskin has launched his latest election campaign—but it's not for US Senate, as some had speculated. WBFF reports that the Democrat, who represents Maryland's 8th District in the US House of Representatives, announced Friday he'll be running for his fifth term in the House,...
Expulsion Is Punted,
a 'Shouting Match'
May 18, 2023 6:59 AM CDT
After Santos Expulsion Is Punted, a 'Shouting Match'
After vote to refer his case to House Ethics Committee, chaos on the Capitol steps
- House Democrats' push to expel from Congress GOP freshman Rep. George Santos, recently indicted on a list of criminal charges, wasn't expected to earn the two-thirds majority needed to do so, and it didn't. The 221-204 vote Wednesday, which followed party lines, instead decided to refer a resolution...
Mar 20, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Santos Has a Challenger Who's 'Just Had Enough'
Law prof William Murphy lives in 3rd District, says freshman rep must go by any means necessary
- George Santos is all of two and a half months into his tenure as New York's 3rd Congressional District rep, and he's already got a challenger for the seat—a St. John's University law prof who says he's "just had enough" of Santos' shenanigans. Says...
An Ex-Roommate of Santos
Emerges With New Allegation
Mar 10, 2023 7:20 AM CST
An Ex-Roommate of Santos Emerges With New Allegation
Gustavo Ribeiro Trelha says congressman was the one behind his 2017 ATM fraud scheme
- A man convicted of fraud in a 2017 credit card skimming scheme in Seattle is now blaming a familiar name for setting the entire operation up. "I am coming forward today to declare that the person in charge of the crime of credit card fraud when I was arrested...
George Santos Steps Down
From House Committees
Jan 31, 2023 9:44 AM CST
George Santos Steps Down From House Committees
But he apparently hopes to return to them eventually
- George Santos has resisted all calls to resign from Congress over his serial lies , but he's relenting on one thing: The New York representative told his GOP colleagues in the House that he'll step down from his committee assignments, report the
and Politico . Santos had been...
GOP Senator Comes Up With
Colorful Insult for Santos
Jan 25, 2023 8:09 AM CST
GOP Senator Comes Up With Colorful Insult for Santos
John Kennedy calls fellow Republican a 'bunny boiler,' a reference to 1987's 'Fatal Attraction'
- Rep. George Santos has been rather busy since the 118th Congress convened on Jan. 3, though not all with duties related to his new role as a US congressman. He's mainly been playing defense against his ever-evolving laundry list of lies , the barbs of late-night comedians , and allegations of...
on Ladder Is
Out of Hospital
Jan 22, 2023 7:37 AM CST
Congressman Seriously Hurt on Ladder Is Out of Hospital
Florida's Greg Steube was in ICU after falling 25 feet
- A Florida congressman is out of the hospital and recuperating at home after a nasty fall from a ladder that landed him in the ICU. GOP Rep. Greg Steube tweeted Saturday that he had been released from a Sarasota hospital, though he did not provide details about his injuries. He...
A GOP Veteran
Has to Go
Jan 19, 2023 11:47 AM CST
A GOP Veteran of Congress Says Santos Has to Go
Former Rep. Peter King says the serial fabricator cannot possibly be effective in the House
- Lots of people think George Santos ought to resign from Congress because of the seemingly unending series of deceptions attributed to him (the latest involves a dying dog ). One person who might have better perspective than most is Peter King, who served in Congress for nearly three decades and...
Santos: I Was Volleyball Star
at School I Didn't Attend
Jan 12, 2023 11:32 AM CST
Santos: I Was Volleyball Star at School I Didn't Attend
Beleaguered congressman made the claim to Nassau County GOP as a candidate
- George Santos didn't just lie about attending Baruch College—he made himself an elite student and a fictional volleyball star there. The
New York Times
has more details on the new New York congressman's web of lies , including a copy of the two-page resume he submitted to the...
Jan 6, 2023 3:40 PM CST
George Santos Issues a Memorable Line
'You can't make this crap up' GOP lawmaker-elect accused of lying says as House votes on speaker
- Despite calls from Democrats (and even some Republicans ) for Rep.-elect George Santos to consider resigning his new post after accusations he's lied about his career and personal life, the embattled GOP lawmaker showed up Tuesday for the first convening of the 118th Congress, with the House gathered...
of Faking Resume,
a Fake Quote
Dec 20, 2022 12:40 AM CST
After Incoming Lawmaker Accused of Faking Resume, a Fake Quote
'New York Times' suggests congressman-elect George Santos fudged key facts
- Included in the statement from a congressman-elect who was accused of faking his resume was ... a fake Winston Churchill quote. Attorney Joseph Murray's statement concludes with the line, "As Winston Churchill famously stated, ‘You have enemies? Good. It means that you’ve stood up for something, sometime...
Congress Gets Its
First Gen Z Member
Nov 8, 2022 8:54 PM CST
Congress Gets Its First Gen Z Member
25-year-old Maxwell Frost cruised to victory in Florida
- In Congress, Maxwell Frost is going to be the voice of his generation. The 25-year-old Democrat cruised to victory over 51-year-old Republican Calvin Wimbish in Florida's reliably blue Orlando-area 10th District and will be the first member of Generation Z in Congress, BuzzFeed reports. Frost, who will also be...
His Own Fox Bite Inspires
Congressman to Pen New Bill
Sep 29, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
His Own Fox Bite Inspires Congressman to Pen New Bill
Rep. Ami Bera wants to make vaccine less expensive for uninsured Americans
- According to government estimates, as many as 60,000 Americans need a rabies vaccine each year. Democratic California Rep. Ami Bera was one of them. Bera was one of numerous people who suffered a fox bite on Capitol Hill in April. A fox was captured and euthanized after testing positive...
What We Know
Seizure of Trump
Ally Scott Perry
Aug 11, 2022 11:16 AM CDT
What We Know About Phone Seizure of Trump Ally Scott Perry
GOP congressman's phone was taken by the FBI
- Three FBI agents took the rare step of seizing the cellphone of a sitting member of Congress on Tuesday. Republican Rep. Scott Perry of Pennsylvania, a five-term congressman and chair of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, has claimed the seizure is tied to the search of Trump's home in...
Madison Cawthorn Issues
Defiant Message After Loss
May 20, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
It's time for 'Dark MAGA' to rise, says outgoing North Carolina congressman
- The youngest member of Congress—and one of the most controversial —will not be returning after losing his North Carolina primary this week. But in a social media post Thursday, 26-year-old Madison Cawthorn sounded very much like a man who isn't done with politics.
of Madison Cawthorn
May 13, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
Politico Paints Troubling Portrait of Madison Cawthorn
GOP congressman derides 'hit piece' depicting him as 'very unwell'
- Earlier this week, GOP Rep. Madison Cawthorn of North Carolina told his Twitter followers that Politico was preparing a "hit piece" on him and derided author Michael Kruse as biased. Well, that lengthy profile is now out, and it does indeed paint a devastating portrait of the 26-year-old, whose...
He Was a
Almost as Long
as His State
Was a State
Mar 19, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
He Was a Congressman Almost as Long as His State Was a State
Don Young of Alaska, longest-serving member of House of Representatives, dies at 88
- Alaska gets one member in the US House of Representatives, and for most of the time that it's been a state, that member has been Don Young. On Friday, the Last Frontier bid farewell to Young, 88, the dean of the House as its longest-serving member, who died while...
Jan 20, 2022 7:56 AM CST
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
Agents seen removing computer, other items from Henry Cuellar's Laredo residence
- FBI agents searched the home of longtime congressman Rep. Henry Cuellar in Laredo, Texas, on Wednesday. The bureau confirmed it was "conducting court-authorized law enforcement activity" at the residence of the moderate Democrat, but said it "cannot provide further comment on an ongoing investigation," per CNN . A...
Kinzinger: I Was Ready to
Shoot Capitol Rioters
Nov 10, 2021 7:37 AM CST
Kinzinger: I Was Ready to Shoot Capitol Rioters
GOP congressman was 'prepared to defend against my own party' on Jan. 6 as he hid in office
- Adam Kinzinger was at the US Capitol during the Jan. 6 riot, and in a new interview with
, he reveals what was going through his head that day as he "hunkered down" in his office, hiding from the rioters. The 43-year-old Congressman from Illinois says he'd...
GOP Congressman Who Made
'Legitimate Rape' Remark Dies
Oct 4, 2021 8:21 AM CDT
GOP Congressman Who Made 'Legitimate Rape' Remark Dies
Mo.'s Todd Akin, who made inflammatory comment about abortion and women's bodies, has died at 74
- Former US Rep. Todd Akin, a conservative Missouri Republican whose comment that women's bodies have a way of avoiding pregnancies in cases of "legitimate rape" sunk his bid for the US Senate, and who became a cautionary tale for other GOP candidates, died late Sunday. He was 74....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.