Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
8 Bodies Found in River
Near US-Canadian Border
Apr 1, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
8 Bodies Found in River Near US-Canadian Border
Canadian police say 2 families, including an infant, were trying to cross St. Lawrence to get to US
- On Thursday, Canadian authorities recovered six bodies from the St. Lawrence River, near the border with the United States. On Friday, two more bodies were found, including an infant, bringing the total number of the dead to eight—six adults and two children. Police now say that the deceased, who...
Migrants Bused From NYC
Are Crossing Canadian Border
Feb 7, 2023 6:36 PM CST
Migrants Bused From NYC Are Crossing Canadian Border
Quebec official calls development 'surprising'
- Migrants from Latin America and beyond have been arriving at the border of a land of opportunity to the north—and New York City has been sending them there. The
New York Post
reports that National Guard soldiers have been helping to distribute free tickets at New York's Port...
Canadians Find Drone
From US Carrying 11 Guns
May 4, 2022 5:16 PM CDT
Canadians Find Drone From US Carrying 11 Guns
It got stuck in a tree on the Ontario side of the border
- Police in Canada say American criminals appear to have found a new way of smuggling guns across the border. A drone carrying a bag with 11 handguns was found stuck in a tree on the bank of the St. Clair River, which separates Ontario and Michigan, CTV reports. Homeowners Christine...
Feb 17, 2022 11:14 AM CST
Report: MyPillow CEO Couldn't Enter Canada With Pillows
After truck with 10K pillows refused entry, Mike Lindell says he'll drop them by parachute
- It started with an announcement over the weekend. "All of our employees are busy making pillows right now for the truckers in Canada," MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell declared on Saturday, relaying his plans to try to get his company's wares through to those protesting anti-vaccine mandates and...
Feb 13, 2022 4:40 PM CST
Police Clear Bridge Ahead of Reopening
Windsor's mayor says 'economic crisis' is ending
- Police on the Canadian side of the Ambassador Bridge arrested protesters and towed vehicles Sunday after Windsor's mayor said the "national economic crisis" is ending. "Border crossings will reopen when it is safe to do so," said Mayor Drew Dilkens, who added that the timing is...
It Was 35-Below, and They
Weren't Used to the Cold
Feb 13, 2022 4:10 PM CST
It Was 35-Below, and They Weren't Used to the Cold
BBC looks into the deaths of family from India who died trying to walk into US from Canada
- They were a young family of four from India who froze to death while trying to walk from Canada into the US last month. The BBC digs into the story of the Patel family to try to understand how this came to pass, and one inescapable fact emerges: It was...
US Urges Canada to
End Bridge Blockade
Feb 11, 2022 4:39 AM CST
US Urges Canada to End Bridge Blockade
Trudeau is willing to 'respond with whatever it takes' to end COVID protests
- The Biden administration urged Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's government Thursday to use its federal powers to end the truck blockade by Canadians protesting the country’s COVID-19 restrictions, as the bumper-to-bumper demonstration forced auto plants on both sides of the border to shut down or scale back production. For...
Family That Froze Trying
to Cross Border Identified
Jan 28, 2022 4:08 AM CST
Family That Froze Trying to Cross Border Identified
Family from India included boy, 3, and girl, 11
: The four people who died of exposure while trying to walk into the US from Canada during a blizzard last week have been identified as a family from India. Investigators believe smugglers brought Jagdish Patel, 39; Vaishailben Patel, 37; and their children, 11-year-old girl Vihang and and 3-year-old boy...
It's a Milestone Day
for Travelers to the US
Nov 8, 2021 6:50 AM CST
It's a Milestone Day for Travelers to the US
Pandemic restrictions lifted for those who are vaccinated from abroad
- The US lifted restrictions Monday on travel from a long list of countries including Mexico, Canada, and most of Europe, setting the stage for reunions nearly two years in the making and providing a boost for the airline and tourism industries decimated by the pandemic. The rules that go into...
US Reopening Land Borders
—for the Fully Vaccinated
Oct 13, 2021 2:27 AM CDT
US Reopening Land Borders —for the Fully Vaccinated
Nonessential travel from Canada, Mexico will resume, provided travelers are vaccinated
- The US will reopen its land borders to nonessential travel next month, ending a 19-month freeze due to the COVID-19 pandemic as the country moves to require all international visitors to be vaccinated against the coronavirus. Vehicle, rail, and ferry travel between the US and Canada and Mexico has been...
Can't Wait to Enter Canada
Aug 9, 2021 6:31 PM CDT
Vaccinated Americans Can't Wait to Enter Canada
At one border crossing, line is 7 hours long
- Travelers headed to the border Monday, the first day Canada has allowed fully vaccinated Americans to cross over under relaxed coronavirus restrictions. Vehicles were backed up, with the wait time at the International Falls, Minnesota-Fort Frances, Ontario, crossing was seven hours, the CBC reports. People were rushing to loved ones,...
Canada, Mexico Border
Restrictions Extended Again
Jul 22, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Canada, Mexico Border Restrictions Extended Again
US cites continued risk of COVID-19 transmission, despite Canadian easing
- The US government on Wednesday extended the closure of the land borders with Canada and Mexico to non-essential travelers until at least Aug. 21, per the AP . The announcement by the Department of Homeland Security came two days after the Canadian government announced it would begin letting fully vaccinated US...
Canada: Here's When
US Tourists Can Return
Jul 19, 2021 4:54 PM CDT
Canada: Here's When US Tourists Can Return
Fully vaccinated Americans can enter without quarantining starting Aug. 9
- Canada announced Monday it will begin letting fully vaccinated US citizens into Canada on Aug. 9, and those from the rest of the world on Sept. 7. Officials said the 14-day quarantine requirement will be waived as of Aug. 9 for eligible travelers who are currently residing in the United...
of Entering US
May 29, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Canadian Accused of Entering US With Interesting 'Undeclared' Items
Including sloth and croc parts, raccoon feet, shark jaws, and a human skull 'with mounted butterflies'
- A Montreal woman has been arrested on charges of trying to cross the US border into Canada with "numerous undeclared wildlife items," including a three-toed sloth, 18 crocodile skulls and heads, and seven crocodile feet, per documents filed in federal court in Vermont, reports the AP . Vanessa Rondeau,...
Canada Adds Test
for Arrivals by Land
Feb 9, 2021 5:04 PM CST
Canada Adds Test for Arrivals by Land
Trudeau hints at more coronavirus restrictions for air travelers soon
- As new and more contagious coronavirus variants make their way around the world, Canada plans to impose a new restriction. As of next Monday, people reaching its borders by land will have to produce a negative coronavirus test—taken in the past 72 hours—before being allowed into Canada. Prime...
Americans Facing Frosty
Reception in Canada
Aug 14, 2020 7:41 AM CDT
Americans Facing Frosty Reception in Canada
Drivers with US plates told to 'go home'
- Americans are facing some rare hostility from Canadians eager to keep travelers—and any possible coronavirus infections—away from the Great White North. Vehicles with American plates have reportedly been vandalized in Canada, while occupants have been told to "go home," reports the BBC . The 5,525 miles...
Dying Woman Will Finally
Get to See Her Fiance
Jul 28, 2020 12:29 PM CDT
Dying Woman Will Finally Get to See Her Fiance
American Charles Emch allowed into Canada to be with Danielle Larocque
- It seems a Canadian woman with terminal cancer will get her final wish: to be reunited with her American fiance. Charles Emch had been unable to see Danielle Larocque since the US-Canada border was closed to most travellers back in March. Though exceptions are now made for immediate family members,...
Is Staying Closed
May 19, 2020 5:30 PM CDT
Canadian Border Is Staying Closed
Ban on nonessential travel extended for 30 days
- A ban on nonessential travel between the US and Canada has been extended for another 30 days and the border will now remain closed until at least June 21. "This is an important decision that will keep people in both of our countries safe," Canadian Prime Minister Justin...
US, Canada Just Made a Big
Joint Move on Coronavirus
Mar 18, 2020 9:15 AM CDT
US, Canada Just Made a Big Joint Move on Coronavirus
Border between 2 countries temporarily shut down to 'nonessential travel'
- The US and Canada have agreed to temporarily close their shared border to nonessential travel, President Trump announced Wednesday as the two nations work to stem the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. Both countries are eager to choke off the spread of the virus but also maintain their vital economic...
Feds: Detained Brits
Deliberately Crossed Border
Oct 17, 2019 4:57 AM CDT
Feds: Detained Brits Deliberately Crossed Border
2 of them had previously been denied entry to the US
- American authorities are disputing the account of a British couple who say they were taken into custody after accidentally crossing into the US from Canada. Customs and Border Protection's Northwest Division released a video Wednesday that it says shows the couple "slowly and deliberately driving through a ditch"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
He Picked Up a Bag of Soil, Was Killed by Swarm of Bees
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.