Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Another Zodiac Killer? FBI On
Alert Over Albany Letters
Dec 12, 2021 7:15 AM CST
Another Zodiac Killer? FBI On Alert Over Albany Letters
Media outlets contacted by self-proclaimed 'Chinese Zodiac Killer'
- The FBI is on alert in upstate New York after multiple news media outlets reportedly received letters from a writer claiming to be the "Chinese Zodiac Killer." Per the
Albany Times Union
, the Bureau is investigating incidents at several television stations in the New York capital and notified...
After AG Report, a Criminal
Complaint Against Cuomo
Aug 6, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
After AG Report, a Criminal Complaint Against Cuomo
Filing by 'Executive Assistant #1' raises possibility NY governor will face criminal charges
- If Andrew Cuomo thought the commotion might die down after New York state's attorney general released a report finding he'd sexually harassed at least 11 women, he may have been overly optimistic. A rep from the Albany County Sheriff's Office says one of the governor's accusers,...
New Cuomo Accusation
Referred to Police
Mar 11, 2021 5:05 PM CST
New Cuomo Accusation Referred to Police
There could be a crime involved, Albany department says
- City police in Albany, home of the New York governor's mansion, say they've been alerted to the latest accusation against Gov. Mario Cuomo because a crime might have been committed. The department said it was contacted by state police and the governor's office Wednesday night, after the...
of Kidnap Eviction
Feb 24, 2021 6:15 PM CST
Landlord Accused of Kidnap Eviction
He was reportedly frustrated by an eviction moratorium in New York
- A man in upstate New York was arrested Monday after allegedly kidnapping two tenants living at his Albany residence and dumping them at a rural cemetery in an effort to get around a COVID-19 eviction moratorium, the
reports. Authorities say that, early on Sunday, Shawn Douglass, 48, and...
Man, 27, Destroys Computers
With USB Drive at Alma Mater
Apr 22, 2019 7:16 PM CDT
Man, 27, Destroys Computers With USB Drive at Alma Mater
Video shows him saying, 'It's gone'
- A former student has pleaded guilty to destroying 59 computers at his alma mater with a weaponized USB drive. Vishwanath Akuthota, 27, ruined seven monitors and computer-enhanced podiums as well at the College of Saint Rose in Albany, ZDNet reports. Zkuthota bought the device, which fries a computer in seconds,...
The 10 US Cities
Where Poverty Hits Hard
Sep 13, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
The 10 US Cities Where Poverty Hits Hard
Texas claims 4 of them
- Last year, 13.4% of all Americans lived below the poverty line—a 0.6-percentage point drop from 2016. But many pockets in the US still struggle, and 24/7 Wall St. mined data from the US Census Bureau to see which metropolitan areas are dealing with the highest poverty rates....
'Things Go Bump in the Night'
at NY Governor's Mansion
May 6, 2017 2:35 PM CDT
'Things Go Bump in the Night' at NY Governor's Mansion
Spooky thuds keep Gov. Andrew Cuomo awake at night
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo isn't afraid of ghosts, but spooky thuds still keep him awake at night when he stays at the governor's mansion in Albany, the AP reports. The Democrat told a Long Island crowd Thursday that during legislative sessions he spends evenings unsettled by unexplained...
Woman Arrested Once More
Over Twin Sister's Death
Nov 14, 2016 7:43 AM CST
Woman Arrested Once More Over Twin Sister's Death
Alexandria Duval was found in Albany on Friday
- In June, Hawaii prosecutors said the crash that killed Anastasia Duval was no accident—but twin sister Alexandria, who was behind the wheel, saw her second-degree murder charge thrown out due to lack of evidence. Now Duval has been re-arrested in connection with the May 29 accident, in which their...
Tables Turn on
to Be Victims
of Hate Crime
Feb 26, 2016 8:45 AM CST
Tables Turn on Students Said to Be Victims of Hate Crime
3 SUNY Albany women are now being charged with assault
- An attack against three black SUNY Albany students that they said was racially motivated has now taken a turn, NBC New s reports. Ariel Agudio, Alexis Briggs, and Asha Burwell, all 20-year-old females, say they were on a late-night city bus on Jan. 30 when they were harassed by a...
Frat Suing 'Rogue' Group Accused in Hazing Death
Nov 4, 2015 8:40 AM CST
Frat Suing 'Rogue' Group Accused in Hazing Death
Zeta Beta Tau says SUNY Albany men had no authorization to use ZBT name
- The seven men accused of the 2014 hazing of a SUNY Albany student that caused his death are already in trouble with the school and the police. Now they've got a new problem on their hands: a lawsuit set to be filed by the fraternity whose name they apparently...
Oct 26, 2015 8:36 AM CDT
Another Frat Hazing Death, Another Wave of Arrests
Trevor Duffy, 19, died during initiation at Zeta Beta Tau
- Five members of an "unsanctioned" fraternity at the State University of New York at Albany have been charged in the hazing death of a pledge. Olaf Jablonski, Yuval Sucov, Jonathan Maldonado, Steven Vila, and Keith Rosengarten, 20 to 22, are charged with first-degree hazing after 19-year-old Trevor Duffy died...
May 5, 2013 1:27 PM CDT
America's Most 'Perfectly Average' City Is...
...Knoxville, Tenn., depending who you ask
New York Times
economic policy reporter Annie Lowrey took to Twitter last week with a tough but fascinating question: "What is the most perfectly average place in the United States and why?" George Mason economics professor Tyler Cowen thinks he has the answer: Knoxville, Tenn. Writing on Marginal Revolution...
NY School's Essay Topic:
Why 'Jews Are Evil'
Apr 12, 2013 1:02 PM CDT
NY School's Essay Topic: Why 'Jews Are Evil'
Albany principal apologizes over English class 'thought experiment'
- The principal of Albany High School is apologizing to students and families after an English teacher asked the teens to turn in an essay making the case that "Jews are evil." No, the teacher isn't an anti-Semite (we hope)—it was one of those "thought experiments"...
happy st patty's day
Mar 17, 2013 4:14 PM CDT
America's Most Irish Cities Are ...
... Boston, of course, plus a few surprises
- Quick St. Patrick's Day quiz: How many Americans are of Irish descent? Some 22 million say Irish is their "primary ancestry," and 13.5 million more have at least some Irish blood, reports the Huffington Post . That adds up to 35.5 million or 11.6% of...
= Corrupt States
May 23, 2012 1:30 PM CDT
Distant Capitals = Corrupt States
Take that, James Madison
- James Madison once said that capital cities ought to be removed from the busiest parts of the country, so they'd be isolated from powerful interests. Well, guess again, Jim. A new study has found that states with distant capitals are much more likely to have rotten governments, the
Saggy Pants Ban
a Profitable Move
for Georgia Town
Oct 2, 2011 4:22 PM CDT
Saggy Pants Ban a Profitable Move for Georgia Town
Waistlines are down, cash is up
- In Albany, Georgia, saggy pants are a sartorial faux pas—and quite the little moneymaker. On Nov. 23 of last year, the city instituted a ban on anyone wearing pants (or skirts!) more than three inches below the hips. Since then, 187 citations have been issued, raking in $3,...
In New York,
Jun 25, 2011 5:58 AM CDT
In New York, Jubilant Gay Community Rejoices
Crowds throng West Village, where gay rights movement was born
- After the showdown in Albany legalized gay marriage, euphoric crowds last night thronged the streets of New York City's West Village, where the gay rights movement was born some four decades ago. “It’s where it all began,” said one reveler outside the Stonewall Inn. The
New York Senate
Approves Gay Marriage
Jun 24, 2011 9:36 PM CDT
New York Senate Approves Gay Marriage
It will become the sixth and largest state to legalize same-sex weddings
- The gay rights movement just scored a huge victory: Same-sex marriage will soon be legal in New York state. The state Senate approved the measure tonight after a Republican legislator came forward to support it as the crucial 32nd vote. “I know my vote is a vote of conscience,...
NY's Gay Marriage
Jun 21, 2011 4:05 PM CDT
NY's Gay Marriage Showdown Could Come Tomorrow
Support currently tied at 31-31, with a few Republicans undecided
- It's a familiar scene with a major twist: New York lawmakers meet behind closed doors in the frantic last days of a six-month legislative session with a big pile of seemingly unconnected issues on the table in front of them. This year, however, there is intense national focus on...
NY Senate Stalls
on Gay Marriage Bill
Jun 20, 2011 5:22 PM CDT
NY Senate Stalls on Gay Marriage Bill
Vote delayed at least til tomorrow as they argue over religious protections
- Old-time, backroom politics faced down hundreds of chanting protesters from each side of the highly charged gay marriage debate in New York today as the issue stalled again over whether religious groups could be protected from discrimination charges. After a three-hour conference behind closed doors, while groups from each side...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kidnapped California Family Found Dead
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Angry He Couldn't Meet Pope, US Tourist Smashes Ancient Statues
Man Clings to Back of Semi-Truck for 130 Miles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.