Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'Hometown of Tomorrow'
Kept Power on During Ian
Oct 3, 2022 12:28 PM CDT
'Hometown of Tomorrow' Kept Power on During Ian
Florida's Babcock Ranch, US' 'first solar-powered town,' didn't lose electricity
- The stories out of Florida in the wake of Hurricane Ian are harrowing and devastating , with a death toll that continues to climb . One town in the western part of the state, however, fared better than most, with Ian serving as a "true test for the community," per...
Who Wants to Give Birth in a
Hurricane? No One, but She Did
Sep 30, 2022 2:54 PM CDT
Who Wants to Give Birth in a Hurricane? No One, but She Did
Cape Coral resident Amanda Mahr's baby is named George, not Ian
- Amid the nightmarish news out of Florida in the wake of Ian, a bright spot comes via a 10-pound, 6-ounce package delivered in Cape Coral. The
New York Times
reports on the plight of 36-year-old Amanda Mahr, and her husband, Matthew, 37, as they hunkered down to ride out the...
Canada Slammed With One
of Its Strongest Storms Ever
Sep 24, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Canada Slammed With One of Its Strongest Storms Ever
Post-tropical cyclone Fiona brings strong winds, heavy rain to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick
- Fiona knocked out power to more than 500,000 customers in Atlantic Canada on Saturday, damaging homes with strong winds and rain as it made landfall as a big, powerful post-tropical cyclone. Fiona transformed from a hurricane into a post-tropical storm late Friday, but meteorologists cautioned that it still could...
'Strongest Storm in Over a
Decade' Set to Slam Alaska
Sep 16, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
'Strongest Storm in Over a Decade' Set to Slam Alaska
Remnants of Typhoon Merbok to wreak havoc on state's western coast this weekend
- There may be only remnants of Typhoon Merbok moving toward Alaska's western coastline, but that doesn't mean the weather there won't pack a punch when it hits land. In fact, forecasters are calling the storm set to slam the Last Frontier on Friday "the strongest storm...
Jun 4, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Storm Floods Florida Streets
System arrives from Mexico with heavy rainfall
- The storm system that made landfall in Mexico as Hurricane Agatha has reached Florida, bringing heavy rain and winds and flooding roads on Saturday. Officials in Miami, where downtown streets flooded overnight, warned residents not to try to drive or walk through the standing water, the
US Logged Record
Number of March Tornadoes
Apr 11, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
US Logged Record Number of March Tornadoes
National Weather Service counts 218
- If it feels like you've been hearing about tornadoes a lot lately , there's good reason. The National Weather Service says the US logged 218 in March, a record high for the month. The previous mark was 192 in March 2017. As ABC News reports, many of the 2022...
The Pacific Northwest Is
About to Get Very, Very Wet
Feb 28, 2022 9:40 AM CST
The Pacific Northwest Is About to Get Very, Very Wet
Atmospheric river will bring heavy rain, floods to parts of Washington state, Oregon
- If you live in Oregon or Washington state, get out your umbrellas. An atmospheric river is expected to hit the Pacific Northwest hard from Monday into Tuesday morning, with rainfall of 3 inches to 6 inches expected in that one-day span along parts of the coast, and even higher numbers...
Western Europe Faces
Feb 19, 2022 2:45 PM CST
Western Europe Faces Storm's Destruction
At least 12 are killed as high winds tear parts of roofs off arenas, topple crane, damage buildings
- Crews cleared fallen trees and worked to restore power to about 400,000 people in Britain as Western Europe cleaned up Saturday after one of the most damaging storms in years. At least 12 people were killed, many by falling trees, in Ireland, Britain, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Germany. Named...
Winter Storm Brings
Jan 17, 2022 3:01 PM CST
Winter Storm Brings Massive Snowfall, Dangerous Winds to Northeast
Some areas had more than a foot of snow
- A dangerous winter storm brought significant snowfall, strong thunderstorms, and blustery winds to the northeastern US on a holiday Monday. The storm system dropped a foot or more of snow in parts of New York state, Ohio, and Pennsylvania Sunday night through Monday morning after pummeling parts of the Southeast...
Storms Bring Damage
In Wide Swaths of South
Jan 2, 2022 6:00 PM CST
Storms Bring Damage In Wide Swaths of South
Some of the areas affected were hit by tornadoes in December
- A line of severe storms damaged homes, knocked out power and downed trees in parts of the southern United States late Saturday into Sunday morning. Authorities closed roads in Hazel Green, Alabama, after power lines came down and homes suffered damage, the AP reports. The Madison County Sheriff's Office...
Drivers Say Google Maps
Failed Them in Snowstorm
Dec 31, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Drivers Say Google Maps Failed Them in Snowstorm
They say they were routed down closed or treacherous California mountain roads
- Authorities in California say weather events like this month's record-breaking snowfall in the Lake Tahoe area should be a reminder for people not to rely too heavily on their GPS systems. Drivers complained this week that when highways were closed, services like Google Maps and Waze, which is also...
Dec 11, 2021 5:50 PM CST
Tornado Survivors Describe Destruction
Rescuers, including inmates, search for survivors as families await word
- Crews were digging through rubble Saturday for survivors after powerful storms and tornadoes tore through six states. The death toll was rising, the
New York Times
reports. Gov. Andy Beshear said that at least 70 people were killed in Kentucky and that the final count could top 100. In Mayfield,...
Blizzard Warnings in Effect
for Alaska and ... Hawaii?
Dec 4, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Blizzard Warnings in Effect for Alaska and ... Hawaii?
Aloha State may get a foot of snow or more in the Big Island mountains, with 100mph wind gusts
- It's typical for Alaska to have blizzard warnings at this time of year. Hawaii, not so much. But as winter approaches without any measurable snow in Denver , as well as below-average snowfall in most of the contiguous United States, the Aloha State was the only other state in addition...
Major Storm Threatens
Nov 18, 2021 6:30 PM CST
Major Storm Threatens Thanksgiving Travel
Forecasters see a couple of scenarios
- A major storm could throw a wrench into the plans of Thanksgiving travelers next week. It's too soon to know how the weather will break, meteorologists said, but several ways could affect millions of people planning holiday trips,
reports. "We could be looking at a huge...
One Killed in
Nov 17, 2021 12:50 AM CST
At Least One Killed in Devastating Mudslides
Atmospheric river walloped British Columbia, Pacific Northwest
The mudslides caused by a devastating "atmospheric river" that hit British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest has left at least one person dead. A woman's body was pulled from mudslide debris on Highway 99 in British Columbia, authorities said Tuesday, and they are searching for any other...
2 States Head Into Emergency
Mode as Nor'easter Hits
Oct 26, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
2 States Head Into Emergency Mode as Nor'easter Hits
Severe weather could pound parts of New York, New Jersey for next several days
- As California starts to pull out of the combo bomb cyclone/atmospheric river that slammed parts of the state over the weekend into Monday, residents on the opposite coast are now dealing with their own severe weather. The governors of both New York and New Jersey have declared states of emergency...
'Bomb Cyclone,' Meet
Oct 23, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
'Bomb Cyclone,' Meet 'Atmospheric River'
2 big weather events set to converge Saturday into Sunday on West Coast, and it likely won't be pretty
As if California didn't have enough to not look forward to this weekend, warnings of a potentially rare "atmospheric river" are now being joined by ones for a hurricane-strength "bomb cyclone," which takes place when a low-pressure system's central pressure plummets 24 millibars or...
Condo Searchers Carry On
Through Rain, Wind
Jul 6, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
Condo Searchers Carry On Through Rain, Wind
4 more bodies found, bringing total to 32
- The discovery of four more victims in the rubble of a collapsed Florida condominium building raised the death toll to 32, officials said Tuesday as a ramped-up search effort faced new threats from severe weather with Tropical Storm Elsa. Lightning forced rescuers to pause their work for two hours early...
For 7th Year in a
May 22, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
For 7th Year in a Row, Hurricane Season Starts Like This
Thanks to subtropical storm near Bermuda, it's 7th year in a row that named storm formed before June
- Subtropical storm Ana formed in the Atlantic Ocean early Saturday, according to the National Hurricane Center. Ana was the first named storm in the Atlantic this year, though hurricane season doesn't officially start until June 1, per the AP . Ana was located about 200 miles northeast of Bermuda, with...
Alabama, Killing at Least 5
Mar 26, 2021 12:02 AM CDT
Tornadoes Slam Alabama, Killing at Least 5
And the severe weather in the South is not over
- A string of deadly tornadoes roared through Alabama on Thursday, toppling trees, demolishing homes and knocking out power to thousands, part of a broad swath of violent weather sweeping across the Deep South, the AP reports. At least five fatalities and an unknown number of injuries were reported. The confirmed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.