Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
American Set to Win
Olympic Gold—for 2012 Race
Dec 22, 2022 5:06 AM CST
American Set to Win Olympic Gold—for 2012 Race
Lashinda Demus recognized as winner after Russian stripped of medal due to doping
- More than a decade after the race was run, Lashinda Demus is set to enter the record books as the first American woman to win the 400-meter hurdles at the Olympics. Russian 400-meter hurdler Natalya Antyukh is being stripped of her gold medal from the London 2012 Olympics due to...
Collector's Reaction to 'Utterly
Unique' Medal: 'Holy [Expletive]'
Mar 28, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
Collector's Reaction to 'Utterly Unique' Medal: 'Holy [Expletive]'
Only gold Daniel Morgan at Cowpens Medal, minted in 1839, could go at auction for up to $500K
- In 1839, the Philadelphia Mint created a single gold medal in tribute to the courage shown by Revolutionary War Gen. Daniel Morgan at 1781's Battle of Cowpens . The medal was minted to replace the original given to Morgan, after that one was stolen in an 1818 robbery at a...
16 Years After 'Galling Mistake,'
Snowboarder Finally Wins Gold
Feb 9, 2022 6:51 AM CST
16 Years After 'Galling Mistake,' Snowboarder Finally Wins Gold
Lindsey Jacobellis brings home first gold for US at Winter Games in Beijing
- It took 16 years and five Olympic appearances, but Lindsey Jacobellis finally has her gold medal. NBC News reports that the world-champion snowboarder, who first competed in the Games in 2006 in Turin, took top honors Wednesday in the women's snowboard cross, earning the US its first gold at...
China Freaks Out as
Eileen Gu Wins Gold
Feb 8, 2022 6:33 AM CST
China Freaks Out as Eileen Gu Wins Gold
Praise of the US-born Olympian temporarily crashed Weibo
- One gold medal down, two to go for Eileen Gu. The US-born athlete from China nabbed victory in big air, her first Olympic event, on Tuesday, after pulling off her first ever 1620 with a perfect landing. That earned her a 94.5 score on her third and final run,...
Feb 7, 2022 6:38 AM CST
Skater Pulls Off Unprecedented Olympic Feat
Speedskater Ireen Wust of the Netherlands has won individual golds at 5 different Olympics
- She won her first individual gold medal back in 2006. Incredibly, speedskater Ireen Wust of the Netherlands collected her fifth such medal at the Beijing Games on Monday, 16 years later. As a result, the 35-year-old is now the only Olympian to have won five individual golds at five different...
Won Gold Thanks
Got Him to the Race
Aug 12, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Hurdler Who Won Gold Thanks Volunteer Who Got Him to the Race
Hansle Parchment almost missed his chance at Olympic medal after he went to wrong venue
- If your mother always told you give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, or to your Olympic 110-meter hurdling competition, we hope you've listened. Hansle Parchment will likely leave the house way early from now on, after the Jamaican hurdler almost missed his chance to compete...
IOC Says It's Replacing
Medal Munched by Mayor
Aug 12, 2021 7:27 AM CDT
IOC Says It's Replacing Medal Munched by Mayor
Nagoya mayor apologizes for biting softball pitcher Miu Goto's medal
- An Olympic athlete in Japan is getting a new gold medal to replace one that a mayor decided to chomp on during a ceremony last week. Tokyo 2020 organizers say they will give softball pitcher Miu Goto a new medal to replace the one Nagoya Mayor Takashi Kawamure bit into...
Hock an Olympic
Medal, Bank This Much
Aug 2, 2021 12:14 PM CDT
Hock an Olympic Medal, Bank This Much
Melt down a gold medal and you can expect to pocket $800, and just 5 bucks for a bronze
- If you're an elite athlete who's earned the chance to compete in the Olympics, winning a medal at the Games would be metaphorically priceless. But if you had to attach a real, literal price to the coveted hardware, how much could the gold, silver, and bronze versions fetch?...
Stop: 'Can We
Have 2 Golds?'
Aug 1, 2021 1:35 PM CDT
Deadlocked Friends Stop: 'Can We Have 2 Golds?'
High jumpers are both awarded Olympic victories
- Mutaz Essa Barshim of Qatar and Gianmarco Tamberi of Italy matched each other high jump for high jump Sunday in Tokyo, with neither missing. So they attempted jumps of 7 feet, 10 inches, which would have been an Olympic record. They both tried the jump three times and missed all...
Out of Biles'
Shadow, a New
for Team USA
Jul 29, 2021 9:11 AM CDT
Out of Biles' Shadow, a New Gold Medalist for Team USA
18-year-old gymnast Suni Lee of Minnesota takes top honors at women's all-around finals
- Much of the talk of late regarding women's gymnastics at the Summer Olympics has centered on the US' Simone Biles , who dropped out of multiple events to focus on her mental health, but one of her teammates just earned her own big headline. Sunisa Lee, 18, took home the...
She Broke Away
at Start of Race,
Figured She'd Be
Jul 26, 2021 1:51 AM CDT
She Broke Away at Start of Race, Figured She'd Be Caught—but Wasn't
Anna Kiesenhofer stuns Olympic cycling with her gold medal win
- As Dutch champion cyclist Annemiek van Vleuten crossed the finish line of the Olympic women's road race Sunday, she raised her arms in the air, assuming she'd come in first. Not so: Anna Kiesenhofer, an Austrian cyclist who wasn't on any pre-race list of contenders, had crossed...
'World's Greatest Athlete' May
See Justice 100 Years On
Dec 10, 2020 1:05 PM CST
'World's Greatest Athlete' May See Justice 100 Years On
Jim Thorpe was stripped of his 1912 Olympic golds
- A Native American athlete whose gold medals were infamously stripped from him in the wake of a scandal following the 1912 Stockholm Olympics is getting a renewed push for justice more than a century later. Jim Thorpe, widely viewed as the greatest athlete of his day, handily clinched that year'...
Runner Who Missed Drug
Tests Wins 100 at Worlds
Sep 28, 2019 4:00 PM CDT
Runner Who Missed Drug Tests Wins 100 at Worlds
Christian Coleman of the US becomes the sixth-fastest man in history
- Christian Coleman of the US won the world championship gold medal in the men's 100 meters Saturday in Qatar, three weeks after avoiding a ban for missed drug tests, the AP reports. Coleman started well and extended his lead down the stretch to win in 9.76 seconds. Defending...
Girl, 7, Finds
Olympic Gold Medal
Aug 29, 2016 7:02 PM CDT
Girl, 7, Finds Olympic Gold Medal in Trash
It had been stolen from Joe Jacobi weeks earlier
- An Olympic champion is thanking a 7-year-old Atlanta girl who found his gold medal in a pile of trash weeks after it got stolen, the AP reports. Joe Jacobi won the medal in men's canoe double slalom at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona. Jacobi says it was stolen when...
Bolt Scores Amazing
3rd 200M Gold
Aug 19, 2016 12:39 AM CDT
Bolt Scores Amazing 3rd 200M Gold
'I've proven to the world I'm the greatest'
- Usain Bolt completed an unprecedented third consecutive sweep of the 100- and 200-meter sprints in Rio Thursday, an accomplishment that further elevated his status as the most decorated male sprinter in Olympic history, the AP reports. He won the 200-meter race with a time of 19.78 seconds to defeat...
in Taxes on
Aug 15, 2016 12:19 PM CDT
Phelps Will Owe $55K in Taxes on Rio Medals
IRS wants its cut
- Michael Phelps is taking home five golds and one silver from the Rio Games, along with a hefty tax bill. The US Olympic Committee awards $25,000 for each gold medal, $15,000 for silver, and $10,000 for bronze—and the IRS then takes its cut. Depending on their...
One for the Ages: Phelps
Nabs 23rd—and Final?—Gold
Aug 14, 2016 1:03 AM CDT
One for the Ages: Phelps Nabs 23rd—and Final?—Gold
Swimmer achieves legend as he closes out his 5th Games
- Standing atop the medal podium for the 23rd time, Michael Phelps teared up, bit his lip, and gave a little nod. This was how he really wanted to go out. On top of his game in the water. Totally content away from the pool. "It turned out pretty cool,...
Tries to Break
Aug 11, 2016 10:00 AM CDT
Michael Phelps Tries to Break 2,168-Year-Old Record Today
He tied the record for individual Olympic gold medals this week
- Michael Phelps will try to break an ancient Olympic record this week. The swimmer has won 21 Olympic gold medals, 12 of them in individual events—and those dozen personal medals mean Phelps has tied an Olympic record that had been held for 2,168 years, Deadspin reports. Olympic historian...
Stolen Gold Medal,
Thinks It's a Frisbee
Jun 21, 2016 6:21 AM CDT
Girl Finds Stolen Gold Medal, Thinks It's a Frisbee
$500 reward should help replace her new toy
- Six-year-old Chloe Smith was out for a walk with her dad in Atlanta on Saturday when she picked up a shiny disc from the ground and threw it like a Frisbee, reports Fox 5 . Had she known it was an Olympic gold medal, she might have thought twice. The medal,...
'Miracle on Ice'
His Gold Medal
May 18, 2016 6:25 AM CDT
'Miracle on Ice' Goalie Hawking His Gold Medal
And American flag Jim Craig wore after 1980 victory at Olympics
- The "Miracle on Ice" hockey team is an indelible memory from the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics, with the US coming from behind to defeat the long-reigning Soviets, and then Finland, for the gold. And goalie Jim Craig, then 22, made an equally poignant impression after his team's victory,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Young Baltimore Tech CEO Allegedly Killed by Violent Repeat Offender
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.