Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
For One Day Only, Your Movie
Date Just Got a Lot Cheaper
Aug 29, 2022 12:02 PM CDT
For One Day Only, Your Movie Date Just Got a Lot Cheaper
Tickets are $3 for 'National Cinema Day' on Saturday
- Most Americans are looking forward to the approaching long weekend to commemorate Labor Day. For those who don't yet have plans solidified, one option is a (much cheaper) day at the movies. The AP reports that Saturday marks the first "National Cinema Day," in which more than...
MoviePass to Rise From
the Dead on Labor Day
Aug 23, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
MoviePass to Rise From the Dead on Labor Day
You have to get on a waitlist to use subscription service, though
- MoviePass officially went kaput more than two years ago, filing for bankruptcy protection right before the pandemic shuttered movie theaters for a year or more. Now when you head over to the company's website , there's a countdown clock—and it's counting down to Thursday, when you'll...
Theaters Weigh Chapter 11
Aug 22, 2022 6:02 PM CDT
Theaters Weigh Chapter 11
Cineworld, which owns Regal Cinemas, is $5B in debt
- Struggling under debt totaling $5 billion, the parent company of Regal Cinemas said Monday it's weighing a bankruptcy filing in the US. Cineworld said that while it considers reorganization, its theaters will remain open and none of its 28,000 jobs globally will be cut, the BBC reports. The...
Cinemas Ban Teens in Suits
Jul 5, 2022 9:19 PM CDT
Cinemas Ban Teens in Suits After
'Gentleminions' fad started on TikTok
- With the long-delayed release of
Minions: The Rise of Gru
, the world of
is back on the big screen for the first time in five years—and some movie theaters having problems with overenthusiastic fans. Groups of teens inspired by the TIkTok #Gentleminions fad have been attending screenings...
The Next Thing to Be Ruined:
Movie Theater Popcorn
in case you missed it
Jun 4, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
The Next Thing to Be Ruined: Movie Theater Popcorn
Blame the supply chain, fertilizer prices, everything
- If canceled flights and sky-high gas prices have led you to decide on a movie-filled staycation instead this summer, we're about to rain on that parade, too. While the big movies are back in theaters— Insider flags the coming
Jurassic World: Dominion
in particular—some other things are in...
Surprise Guest Shows Up
Mar 7, 2022 11:18 AM CST
Surprise Guest Shows Up at
Real bat in Texas theater may have been released as a prank
- Moviegoers in Austin, Texas, got to see more than one type of bat during a screening of
this weekend, per the AP . An actual bat was spotted swooping around inside the theater, putting the movie on pause while management called animal control and tried—unsuccessfully—to get the...
Movie Theaters Stay
Open in France, but
Hold the Popcorn
Dec 30, 2021 6:30 PM CST
Movie Theaters Stay Open in France, but Hold the Popcorn
Snack, drink ban at venues takes effect Monday
- No more munching, crunching and slurping at the movies in France: The country's increasingly fraught fight against an unprecedented surge in coronavirus infections is putting a stop to eating and drinking at French cinemas, just as they show signs of recovering from the brutal economic bashing of lockdowns last...
AMC Adds Captions So Deaf
People Aren't 'an Afterthought'
Oct 22, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
AMC Adds Captions So Deaf People Aren't 'an Afterthought'
Open captioning will be offered at 240 AMC locations
- Captions are being added to movie screens across the country, making the theaters more welcoming to people who are hard of hearing, as well as those for whom English is a second language. AMC Theatres announced that 240 of its locations are offering open captioning, NPR reports. Closed captioning, which...
She Texted Her Mom From the
Theater. Then She Was Dead
Aug 16, 2021 12:10 PM CDT
She Texted Her Mom From the Theater. Then She Was Dead
Teens on first date were shot dead in Corona, California, movie theater
- On July 26, 18-year-old Rylee Goodrich texted her mother from a showing of
The Forever Purge
, saying she didn't like the violent movie. The teen, who was on a first date with 19-year-old social media personality Anthony Barajas, was dead before the end of it. Goodrich and Barajas, who...
TikTok Star, Friend Shot While
Jul 28, 2021 2:02 PM CDT
TikTok Star, Friend Shot While Watching
Movie theater shooting happened Monday night in Corona, California
- Horror during a horror movie: An 18-year-old woman was killed and the 19-year-old TikTok personality who was with her was seriously injured during a movie theater shooting in California. KTLA reports Rylee Goodrich and Anthony Barajas, 19, attended a 9:35pm showing of
The Forever Purge
on Monday. Workers at...
Tarantino Is New Owner
of Historic LA Movie Theater
Jul 5, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
Tarantino Is New Owner of Historic LA Movie Theater
He says the Vista will be a 'crown jewel'
- Quentin Tarantino believes some movie theaters can come back from the pandemic better than ever—and he's putting his money where his mouth is. The director disclosed in a podcast Monday that he is the new owner of the historic Vista Theatre in Los Angeles, which first opened in...
Cops: Theater 'Patron' Asks for
Popcorn, Gets Cocaine Bonus
May 8, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Cops: Theater 'Patron' Asks for Popcorn, Gets Cocaine Bonus
Police say 'patron' was informant sold drugs hidden in popcorn by movie theater manager in Minn.
- When movie patrons ask for a Coke to go with their popcorn, they likely don't mean actual coke (i.e., cocaine). But one such "patron" got exactly that in July at Spotlight Theatres in Mankato, Minn. Per the cops, that supposed customer was actually a police informant who...
AMC President Finally
Has Some Good News
Mar 18, 2021 1:06 PM CDT
AMC President Finally Has Some Good News
98% of AMC's US locations to open Friday
- A little more than a year after a global pandemic forced the closure of all AMC theaters in the US, almost all will reopen their doors. The company announced Thursday that 98% of its US locations would be open Friday, as more than 40 California cinemas welcome back moviegoers for...
NYC's Move May Ripple
Through Movie Industry
Mar 5, 2021 11:08 AM CST
NYC's Move May Ripple Through Movie Industry
Nation's No. 2 market allows theaters to reopen, with restrictions
- After almost a year, moviegoers are being allowed to return to theaters in New York City—and the Friday reopening is expected to have implications far beyond the Big Apple. The city, America's second-biggest movie market after Los Angeles, where cinemas are still closed, is allowing theaters to reopen...
AMC Finds a Way
You Can Benefit
Oct 18, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
AMC Finds a Way to Survive—and You Can Benefit
The company lets you rent a theater and choose from a list of movies
- Missing the movie theater experience? Turns out you can rent an AMC theater starting at $99. And guess what—AMC can use the money amid devastating COVID-19 conditions, CNN Business reports. The basic deal is that AMC lets you rent a theater for 20 people and choose from a list...
World's Biggest Theater Chain
Almost Out of Money
Oct 13, 2020 1:57 PM CDT
World's Biggest Theater Chain Almost Out of Money
AMC says it could be broke by end of 2020
- More bad news from the entertainment industry as the pandemic grinds on: AMC Theatres says it is running out of money and unless things change, its reserves could be used up by the end of the year or early 2021. Studios have delayed the release of major films like
Oct 5, 2020 7:53 AM CDT
Hundreds of Theaters Close After Bond Flick Delayed
Cineworld said it was 'not a decision we made lightly'
- Hundreds of movie theaters are closing across the US and UK after the next James Bond movie release was postponed,
reports. The movie chain Cineworld said Monday that it's closing 536 Regal Cinemas in the US and 127 Cineworld and Picturehouse theaters in Britain as of Thursday,...
Christopher Nolan Gives
Hollywood a 'Litmus Test'
Sep 6, 2020 4:40 PM CDT
Christopher Nolan Gives Hollywood a 'Litmus Test'
Will Americans go see his movie during the pandemic?
- In a litmus test for American moviegoing in the pandemic, Christopher Nolan's
brought in an estimated $20.2 million through the holiday weekend in US and Canadian theaters, the AP reports. The result could be greeted as either the rejuvenation of US cinemas—more Americans went to the...
AMC Plans to Reopen
With 15-Cent Tickets
Aug 13, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
AMC Plans to Reopen With 15-Cent Tickets
Chain aims to reopen 100 cinemas next week
- In 1920, with America recovering from a pandemic, the Dubinsky Brothers opened a cinema in Kansas City, Mo., and charged 15 cents a ticket. AMC Theaters, the chain their cinema spawned, plans to charge the same price when it reopens theaters next week. The company says it will reopen around...
Here's Why AMC Won't
Be Requiring Masks
Jun 19, 2020 2:01 AM CDT
Here's Why AMC Won't Be Requiring Masks
Theater chain announces reopening plans
- AMC previously announced that the vast majority of its movie theaters would be open by mid-July, and now the chain is revealing details of how that will look. Of its more than 600 US venues, 450 will open July 15,
reports, and nearly all will be open by the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.