Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Black Couple: White Neighbor
Made False Assault Report
Jul 2, 2020 12:51 PM CDT
Black Couple: White Neighbor Made False Assault Report
NJ couple share video of 'Permit Karen,' white neighbor they say has harassed them for 2 years
- Residents in a New Jersey neighborhood went to bat this week for a black couple who had the police called on them by a white neighbor they say has been harassing them for two years—an incident caught on video that's now gone viral. In a Monday Facebook post...
2 Black Kids Played in a Hotel
Pool. The Cops Were Called
Jul 1, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
2 Black Kids Played in a Hotel Pool. The Cops Were Called
Employee at NC Hampton Inn fired after summoning police regarding 'trespassing' guests
- An employee at a Hampton Inn in North Carolina has been fired after calling the cops on Black guests who were using the pool. Two police officers responded to a trespassing complaint at the Williamston location on Friday after the employee, an unidentified white woman, reported finding two children unattended...
Supreme Court Delivers
Big Victory for Gay Rights
Jun 15, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Supreme Court Delivers Big Victory for Gay Rights
Justices say LGBT people are protected from job discrimination
- The Supreme Court on Monday delivered a major victory to supporters of gay rights, reports the AP . In a 6-3 ruling, the justices decided that Title VII, a key provision of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, protects LGBTQ workers from being fired because of their sexual orientation. Coverage:
Walmart, CVS End
'Out of Step' Practice
Jun 12, 2020 10:54 AM CDT
Walmart, CVS End 'Out of Step' Practice
Drugstore chains will no longer lock up beauty products for people of color
- Companies and brands are now making extra efforts to get rid of discriminatory policies after the killing of George Floyd , and drugstore chains are following in Walmart's footsteps in terms of one merchandise segment. Earlier this week, the retailer announced it would be taking hair and beauty products made...
They Had Every Right to Use
the Gym. He Didn't Think So
May 28, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
They Had Every Right to Use the Gym. He Didn't Think So
White CEO in Minneapolis loses office lease after video shows him calling 911 on black entrepreneurs
- One of the perks of using an office space via WeWork in Minneapolis' MoZaic East complex is that you get to take advantage of the site's amenities, including its gym. But, per the Hill , a group of black entrepreneurs who've owned a business in the building for a...
Ruling Is Made on Woman
in Love With Her Chandelier
Apr 15, 2020 4:45 PM CDT
Ruling Is Made on Woman in Love With Her Chandelier
Amanda Liberty says she's in a relationship with the light fixture
- Most people like a nice chandelier, but Amanda Liberty? She's in love with one. And she just learned that British regulators will not consider her attraction to light fixtures a protected sexual orientation, the
reports. The UK's biggest press regulator, known as Ipso, made the ruling after...
Autistic Son 'Is
Feb 28, 2020 9:21 AM CST
Parents: Our Autistic Son 'Is Being Shunned' by Church
NJ couple says 8-year-old was turned down for first Holy Communion because he's nonverbal
- A New Jersey couple is railing against their church for a "disgraceful and disheartening" act against their 8-year-old son, which they say is due to his disability. Per NBC News , Anthony LaCugna is autistic and nonverbal, and because of that, his parents say, Saint Aloysius Church in Jackson refused...
Teacher Who Showed
Photo of Future Wife
Gets $100K Settlement
Feb 27, 2020 5:16 AM CST
Teacher Who Showed Photo of Future Wife Gets $100K Settlement
She was suspended for allegedly 'promoting the homosexual agenda'
- A Texas teacher who was forced out of the job she loved for showing students a photo of the woman she was going to marry has settled with the school district for $100,000. Stacy Bailey was suspended from her position as an art teacher at Arlington's Charlotte Anderson...
Fliers Made Others Nervous.
Delta Fined Over Its Reaction
Jan 28, 2020 9:44 AM CST
Fliers Made Others Nervous. Delta Fined Over Its Reaction
US Transportation Department found the airline violated federal statutes against discrimination
- Nazia and Faisal Ali marked their 10th anniversary with a trip to Paris, but things took a turn when they tried to return home to Ohio—and what happened next is now costing Delta. The US Transportation Department fined the airline $50,000 over that and a second incident involving...
McDonald's 'Declared War'
on African Americans: Suit
Jan 9, 2020 9:34 AM CST
McDonald's 'Declared War' on African Americans: Suit
It claims racial discrimination turned 'overt' under former CEO
- Two black executives at McDonald's are suing the company they say has "declared war against the African American community." Vicki Guster-Hines and Domineca Neal claim discrimination in their demotions from vice president to senior director positions in Dallas in 2018, per the
. But they also say...
He Says He Was Fired for Being
Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Jan 3, 2020 10:57 AM CST
He Says He Was Fired for Being Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Decision says ethical veganism is belief worthy of protection from discrimination, but case isn't over
- A UK man who says he was fired due to his ethical veganism saw partial victory this week via an employment tribunal. Unlike run-of-the-mill veganism, ethical veganism resists not only an animal-based diet, but all kinds of animal exploitation, such as buying clothes made from leather, or testing products on...
Incident: 20K Free Tix
Nov 21, 2019 7:19 AM CST
Theater's Offer After 'Humiliating' Incident: 20K Free Tix
The AMC in Metairie, La., also fired 3 employees
- Up to 20,000 high schoolers in New Orleans will see the new film
for free after an incident in which a group of women say they were racially profiled at a local theater. NOLA reports more than a dozen members of the 504 Queens, a nonprofit for African...
Mo'Nique Sues Netflix
Nov 15, 2019 7:09 AM CST
Mo'Nique Sues Netflix for Discrimination
She says offer for comedy special was a fraction of what others get paid
- Mo'Nique is suing Netflix for race and gender discrimination, saying it offered her a "lowball" offer for a comedy special because she is a black woman. She says she was offered a "talent fee" of $500,000 for the Nov. 2017 special, while other stars were offered...
Big Win for Cop Told to
'Tone Down Your Gayness'
Oct 29, 2019 2:02 PM CDT
Big Win for Cop Told to 'Tone Down Your Gayness'
St. Louis County Sgt. Keith Wildhaber awarded $19M
- A jury has awarded $19 million to a Missouri police officer who says his supervisors denied him promotions because he was too outwardly gay. "If you ever want to see a white shirt, you should tone down your gayness," a member of the St. Louis County Board of...
Feel Like Shouting
Not Smart in NYC
Oct 1, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Feel Like Shouting 'Speak English'? Not Smart in NYC
City issues ban on discriminatory rhetoric like 'illegal alien,' threatening to call ICE to harass
- New York City is cracking down on xenophobia, with new guidelines that ban calling people "illegal aliens" in an attempt to "demean, humiliate, or harass" them; threatening to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement in an attempt to discriminate; or telling anyone to "speak English" or "go...
No Bias in 'ISIS'
Cup for Muslim Man
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 7, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Starbucks Sees No Bias in 'ISIS' Cup for Muslim Man
Drink order was for Niquel Johnson, aka Aziz
- A man in Islamic dress believes he faced discrimination at a Starbucks in Philadelphia, where an employee at another location last year called police on two black men , prompting nationwide racial bias training . Niquel Johnson gave his Islamic name, "Aziz" (ah-zeez), to a Starbucks barista on Aug. 25 but...
Venue Refused Interracial
Wedding. Then the Owner
Checked Her Bible
Sep 4, 2019 8:42 AM CDT
Venue Refused Interracial Wedding. Then the Owner Checked Her Bible
Mississippi event hall cited Christian beliefs before admitting error
- A Mississippi wedding venue has done an about-face after refusing to rent to an interracial couple. "We don't do gay weddings or mixed race," a woman at Booneville's Boone's Camp Event Hall says, citing her Christian beliefs, in a video captured Saturday by the groom'...
She Finally Got
an Audition With
the Boys Choir.
Now She's Suing
Aug 15, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
She Finally Got an Audition With the Boys Choir. Now She's Suing
9-year-old says she was rejected because of her gender from Berlin's State and Cathedral Choir
- For more than 550 years, the State and Cathedral Choir of Berlin has performed all over Germany and the world. But while the choral group has renown, there's one thing it doesn't have, and never has: a female voice. The AP reports a 9-year-old girl hopes to change...
This State Just Banned
Jul 4, 2019 12:37 AM CDT
This State Just Banned Hairstyle Discrimination
Californians can't be ordered to cut off their dreads
- Gov. Gavin Newsom signed into law Wednesday a bill making California the first state to ban workplace and school discrimination against black people for wearing hairstyles such as braids, twists, and locks. The law introduced by Democratic Sen. Holly Mitchell of Los Angeles, a black woman who wears her hair...
Law to 'Save Chick-fil-A' Will
Hurt Gay Community: Critics
Jun 12, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Law to 'Save Chick-fil-A' Will Hurt Gay Community: Critics
Democrats angered by new Texas bill providing religious protections
- Chick-fil-A has a fan in Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, who on Monday signed into law a bill that blocks "adverse action" against the restaurant and other businesses and persons for contributions to religious groups. The "Save Chick-fil-A" law, to take effect Sept. 1, stems from a decision to...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
After Backlash, Rittenhouse's Student Status Changes
CNN Suspends Chris Cuomo Indefinitely
3 Dead, 6 Injured in Michigan School Shooting
FTC Orders Walmart, Amazon to Explain 'Sky-High Prices'
Clarence Thomas' Long Fight Reaches Its 'Zenith'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.