Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 22, 2021 3:13 PM CST
'Overwhelming Evidence' That Cuomo Harassed
Investigators combed through thousands of pages of evidence
- There’s "overwhelming evidence" that former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo engaged in sexual harassment. The impeachment investigation also found that Cuomo used state employees to work on his memoir and "was not fully transparent regarding the number of nursing home residents who died as a result of...
Probe Into AG
Nov 10, 2021 12:58 PM CST
SD House Launches an 'Unprecedented' Probe Into AG
No state official there has been impeached; that may change with Jason Ravnsborg case
- South Dakota's House launched an investigation Tuesday into whether the state's attorney general should be impeached for his conduct surrounding a car crash last year that killed a pedestrian. A sizable majority of the Republican-dominated House voted to have a committee prepare a report and recommend whether Attorney...
McConnell: 'There Isn't
Going to Be an Impeachment'
Sep 1, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
McConnell: 'There Isn't Going to Be an Impeachment'
'The way these behaviors get adjusted in this country is at the ballot box'
- Some Republicans are calling for President Biden to be impeached over his handling of the withdrawal from Afghanistan—but Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell says it's not going to happen. For starters, he noted at an event in Kentucky on Wednesday, Republicans do not control Congress. "The president...
Aug 13, 2021 2:45 PM CDT
State Lawmakers Stop Cuomo Impeachment Investigation
Assembly's lawyers say only someone still in office can be removed
- The New York state Assembly will suspend its impeachment investigation into Gov. Andrew Cuomo once he steps down, the chamber's top Democrat said Friday. Cuomo announced his resignation on Tuesday over sexual harassment allegations, after he faced increasing pressure to resign or risk being ousted by the Democratic-controlled Legislature...
Pedestrian's Glasses Found in
State AG's Car After Fatal Crash
Feb 24, 2021 9:15 AM CST
Pedestrian's Glasses Found in State AG's Car After Fatal Crash
Jason Ravnsborg now facing possible impeachment in South Dakota
- "His face was in your windshield, Jason." That was among the commentary that South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg had to contend with during two interviews with law enforcement days after the Sept. 12 crash in which he struck and killed a pedestrian. Gov. Kristi Noem released videos...
Feb 16, 2021 9:46 AM CST
McConnell: Trump's Behavior 'Unconscionable'
But minority leader defends his vote to acquit former president
- So much for Sen. Ron Johnson's hope that Mitch McConnell would "zip his lips" on former President Trump . The Senate minority leader has penned a
Wall Street Journal
op-ed accusing Trump of inciting insurrection at the Capitol on Jan. 6 while also defending his vote to acquit the...
Vandals Go After Home of
Trump Impeachment Lawyer
Feb 15, 2021 7:57 AM CST
Vandals Go After Home of Trump Impeachment Lawyer
Driveway of Michael van der Veen's Philly residence spray-painted with the word 'TRAITOR'
- Former President Trump's impeachment trial is over , but not for one of his defense attorneys, who says he's been the target of harassment, intimidation, and vandalism since taking on Trump as a client. "My home was attacked," van der Veen said Saturday, per a pool report...
Report: Trump-McCarthy Call
Showed Reticence on Rioters
Feb 13, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Report: Trump-McCarthy Call Showed Reticence on Rioters
GOP lawmakers detail 'shouting match' between ex-president, Kevin McCarthy during Capitol attack
- "Tomorrow just got a lot more interesting." That was Democratic Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse's take Friday night about former President Trump's impeachment trial on Saturday, which will be continuing in the wake of a new report of a Jan. 6 interaction between Trump and House Minority Leader...
Trump's Team to Take Single
Day for Impeachment Defense
Feb 12, 2021 2:00 AM CST
Trump's Team to Take Single Day for Impeachment Defense
As House managers rest their case, acquittal seems likely
- Former President Trump's second impeachment trial appears destined to end the same way his first did: with an acquittal. House managers rested their case Thursday, day No. 3 of trial No. 2, and the
New York Times
reports most Republican senators appeared to remain unconvinced. The paper deems it...
Biden: 'Minds May Be
Changed' at Trump Trial
Feb 11, 2021 11:05 AM CST
Biden: 'Minds May Be Changed' at Trump Trial
House impeachment managers begin their final day of arguments against Trump
- The House impeachment managers making the case against former President Trump have begun wrapping up their final arguments Thursday. The general consensus in coverage is that Wednesday's presentation of videos and photos of the Jan. 6 riot, while compelling, hasn't changed the minds of enough Republican senators to...
Unseen Riot Footage to Air
at Senate Impeachment Trial
Feb 10, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Unseen Riot Footage to Air at Senate Impeachment Trial
House impeachment managers to make their case
- Donald Trump's second impeachment trial was declared constitutional in a 56-44 vote on Tuesday, and so now the trial proceeds. The part that comes next, beginning at 12pm ET Wednesday: Each side gets up to 16 hours for opening arguments, with House impeachment managers up first. They plan to...
Big Lines From Day 1
of Impeachment Trial
Feb 9, 2021 5:53 PM CST
Big Lines From Day 1 of Impeachment Trial
'This cannot be the future of America'
- Donald Trump's second impeachment trial in the Senate started with graphic footage of the Jan. 6 Capitol attack before arguments on the constitutionality of the trial began. Trump's lawyers argue that it is unconstitutional to put a former president on trial, while the House impeachment managers say there...
Senate Votes That
Trump Trial Is Constitutional
Feb 9, 2021 5:22 PM CST
Senate Votes That Trump Trial Is Constitutional
6 Republicans sided with Democrats in 56-44 vote
- A day of debate on whether it is constitutional to put a former president on trial in the Senate succeeded in changing the mind of one senator. Donald Trump's second impeachment trial was declared constitutional in a 56-44 vote, with six Republican senators voting with the chamber's 50...
As Trial Begins, Democrats
Show New Video of Riot
Feb 9, 2021 1:44 PM CST
As Trial Begins, Democrats Show New Video of Riot
'If that’s not an impeachable offense, then there's no such thing'
- Donald Trump's second impeachment trial kicked off in the Senate Tuesday—and while the day's main focus is to be technical arguments about the constitutionality of the trial, House impeachment managers started out with a 13-minute video of the Capitol attack. The dramatic footage from less than five...
Reach 'Eminently Fair'
Deal on Trump Trial
Feb 8, 2021 5:33 PM CST
McConnell, Schumer Reach 'Eminently Fair' Deal on Trump Trial
Vote on conviction could happen early next week
- The stage is set for Donald Trump's second impeachment trial. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell have reached a deal on the timing and structure of the former president's trial, which begins Tuesday, the
reports. A bipartisan resolution, which can be...
Trump Lawyers: Impeachment
Trial Isn't About Justice
Feb 8, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Trump Lawyers: Impeachment Trial Isn't About Justice
It's merely to allow Democrats to score political points, they argue in new brief
- Former President Trump's second impeachment trial begins Tuesday, and his legal team elaborated on its strategy in a newly filed brief. Details:
"The Article of Impeachment presented by the House is unconstitutional for a variety of reasons, any of which alone would be grounds for immediate dismissal,"
to Gab for
Feb 6, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Trump Heads to Gab for Social Media Vent
Former president posted on Friday about upcoming impeachment hearing
- Jared Kushner may have tried his best to keep his father-in-law off of social media, but where there's a will, there's always a platform. Since 2016, Donald Trump has had a rarely used account on Gab, a site favored by far-right users, but he hadn't posted since...
Impeachment Managers Ask
Trump to Testify Under Oath
Feb 4, 2021 1:03 PM CST
Impeachment Managers Ask Trump to Testify Under Oath
Rep. Jamie Raskin makes the official request in letter to former president's lawyers
- House impeachment managers want former President Trump to make his case under oath. One of the managers, Rep. James Raskin, sent a letter to Trump's legal team Thursday requesting that Trump testify either before or during the trial, which begins on Tuesday, reports the Hill . There was no immediate...
House Democrats Outline
Their Case Against Trump
Feb 2, 2021 10:20 AM CST
House Democrats Outline Their Case Against Trump
Legal brief: 'If provoking an insurrectionary riot' isn't impeachable, what is?
- The formalities have begun ahead of former President Trump's impeachment trial in the Senate next week. On Monday, House impeachment managers outlined their case in a legal brief, reports the Hill , the
, and the AP . Excerpts from the brief and other details from those sources:
Donald Trump Announces New
Impeachment Defense Team
Feb 1, 2021 4:00 AM CST
Donald Trump Announces New Impeachment Defense Team
2 new top lawyers after last team unraveled
- After former President Trump's impeachment defense team unraveled over the weekend , Trump quickly named a new one. Defense attorneys David Schoen, who frequently appears as a legal commentator on TV, and Bruce Castor, the former DA who declined to charge Bill Cosby back in 2005, will be representing Trump...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
University President Fired For 'Inappropriate Relationship'
Bob Saget Widow Breaks Silence After Star's Death
Trump Mocks Biden in Speech at Arizona Rally
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.