Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Amazon Rolls Out
May 4, 2022 5:52 AM CDT
Amazon Rolls Out Abortion-Travel Benefit
Benefit applies to those who need to travel more than 100 miles
- On the same day that a Supreme Court opinion was leaked, suggesting
Roe v. Wade
may be overturned , Amazon told staff that it would pay up to $4,000 in travel expenses annually for abortion and other non-life threatening medical treatments. In a Monday memo obtained by Reuters , Amazon said...
Amazon Workers in NYC
Vote to Reject Union
May 2, 2022 3:19 PM CDT
Amazon Workers in NYC Vote to Reject Union
Retail giant fends off 2nd union win
- Amazon warehouse workers rejected a union bid on Monday, dealing a blow to organizers who last month pulled off the first successful US organizing effort in the retail giant’s history. This time around, warehouse workers cast 618 votes—or about 62%—against the union, giving Amazon enough support to...
Amazon Loses Nearly $4B
Apr 28, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Amazon Loses Nearly $4B
Shares fall 10% after quarterly results
- Amazon on Thursday reported its first quarterly net loss since 2015: $3.8 billion in the three months ended March 31, after posting a profit of $8.1 billion in the same period last year. Analysts surveyed by Refinitiv had expected a profit of $4.4 billion, CNN reports. Amazon...
OK for Climbable
Apr 23, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Amazon Receives OK for Climbable Office Tower
Building across river from DC will rival Washington Monument on area's skyline
: Amazon won local approval Saturday to build a helix-shaped tower to anchor its second headquarters in Virginia, across the Potomac River from Washington, DC. The vote by the Arlington County Board was unanimous, the AP reports. Board Chair Katie Cristol had said officials sought feedback from residents and worked...
Barnes & Noble
Become a Good Guy
in case you missed it
Apr 23, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Barnes & Noble Has, Improbably, Become a Good Guy
The 'New York Times' looks at the chain's much-improved reputation
- Barnes & Noble is like a phoenix rising from the ashes—its sales, yes, but more than that, its reputation. Once derided as an independent bookstore killer, the
New York Times
takes a look at how the chain is regarded these days: as crucial. A key line from Elizabeth A....
Judge to Amazon:
Hire Back Fired Worker
Apr 19, 2022 3:23 PM CDT
Judge to Amazon: Hire Back Fired Worker
Judge expresses skepticism about Amazon's true motives in Staten Island case
- A judge has ruled Amazon must reinstate a former warehouse employee who was fired in 2020, saying the company “unlawfully” terminated the worker who led a protest calling for Amazon to do more to protect employees against COVID-19, per the AP . In June 2020, and Gerald Bryson filed a...
Amazon Is Trying to
Overturn Historic Union Win
Apr 9, 2022 10:01 AM CDT
Amazon Is Trying to Overturn Historic Union Win
Company argues actions of union organizers tainted results of vote
- Amazon is seeking to overturn the historic union victory at one of its New York City warehouses, arguing in a legal filing Friday that union organizers and the National Labor Relations Board acted in a way that tainted the results. It now wants to redo the election. The e-commerce giant...
Words Amazon Workers
May Not Be Able to Say in App
Apr 5, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Words Amazon Workers May Not Be Able to Say in App
Including 'union' and 'restroom,' per the Intercept
- The Intercept reports that Amazon is working on a chat app designed to be used by its employees with the goal of boosting morale. That in itself is pretty humdrum stuff. But the reason the story is generating attention is because the Intercept also says Amazon plans to make some...
In a First, Amazon Workers
Vote to Unionize
Apr 1, 2022 11:41 AM CDT
In a First, Amazon Workers Vote to Unionize
Warehouse employees in Staten Island prevail against the retail giant
- Amazon workers in Staten Island voted to unionize on Friday, marking the first successful US organizing effort in the retail giant’s history, per the AP . Votes were still being tabulated, but union supporters secured a wide enough margin to give the fledgling Amazon Labor Union enough support to pull...
Mar 28, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Tim Cook Just Dunked on Netflix, Amazon
Oscar win for his platform's 'CODA' gives him bragging rights ahead of older rivals
won the Oscar for best picture on Sunday, it handed a huge victory to Tim Cook and his Apple+ streaming platform. After all, Cook "triumphed just two and a half years after formally entering the film and TV business," writes Matthew Belloni at Puck . He trumped...
Seattle Pride Boots
Amazon as Parade Sponsor
Mar 24, 2022 1:11 AM CDT
Seattle Pride Boots Amazon as Parade Sponsor
Cites company's donations to anti-LGBTQ politicians, and much more
- Seattle Pride cut ties with Amazon on Tuesday, removing the company as sponsor of its Pride March. "Seattle Pride has decided to not partner with Amazon for the 2022 Seattle Pride Parade because of their financial donations to politicians who actively propose and support anti-LGBTQIA+ legislation, oppose pro-LGBTQIA+ and...
In Cape Town,
Win on 'Obscene'
Mar 21, 2022 6:37 AM CDT
In Cape Town, an Indigenous Win on 'Obscene' Amazon Project
Court temporarily halts retail giant's building of African HQ in Cape Town
- Thousands of years ago, South Africa's earliest dwellers roamed the land. Now, as Amazon tries to build its new African headquarters there, it's facing a battle from Indigenous locals who say the company shouldn't be building on what they say is sacred land—and last week, they...
Amazon Is Closing
68 Brick-and-Mortar Stores
Mar 3, 2022 3:39 AM CST
Amazon Is Closing 68 Brick-and-Mortar Stores
Company is ditching bookstores, 4-star stores
- Amazon is closing all of its brick-and-mortar bookstores, as well as its 4-star shops and pop up locations, as the online retail behemoth reworks its physical footprint. The Seattle-based company said Wednesday that the move, which affects 66 stores in the US and two in the United Kingdom, will enable...
Peloton Shares Surge
Amid Buyout Rumors
Feb 7, 2022 1:50 PM CST
Peloton Shares Surge Amid Buyout Rumors
Amazon, Nike are among the reported suitors
- Peloton is back in the news, but not because of another fictional heart attack . This time, it's because the company's stock is surging amid takeover rumors, reports CNBC . Shares were up more than 25% in trading Monday after multiple reports—including in the
Wall Street Journal
Meta Plunge Knocks
Zuckerberg Out of
Top 10 Billionaires
Feb 4, 2022 5:13 AM CST
Meta Plunge Knocks Zuckerberg Out of Top 10 Billionaires
Bezos is set to get $20B richer
- Share price swings have brought the fortunes of two tech billionaires up—and down—by amounts equivalent to the GDPs of small countries. Shares in Meta, Facebook's parent company, plummeted 26% on Thursday, bringing Mark Zuckerberg's net worth down by around $29 billion to $85 billion, reports Reuters...
Fresh Off Jump in Profit,
Amazon Raises Prime Rates
Feb 3, 2022 7:20 PM CST
Fresh Off Jump in Profit, Amazon Raises Prime Rates
Yearly rate will climb $20, to $139
- On the day it announced that quarterly profit almost doubled, Amazon said the price of a Prime membership is going up. The annual charge in the US will be $139, up from $119, while the monthly fee will rise from $12.99 to $14.99,
What You Should Know About
Alphabet's Stock-Split News
Feb 2, 2022 2:39 PM CST
What You Should Know About Alphabet's Stock-Split News
Entry point into investing in Google parent company will be lower in July
- Alphabet has had plenty of people doing division over the last day, after the Google parent company announced a planned 20-for-1 stock split, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. What does this mean for the value of the stock, the future of Alphabet and its subsidiaries, and the stock market at...
Again, and It's High Tech
Jan 20, 2022 11:42 AM CST
Amazon Goes Brick-and-Mortar Again, and It's High Tech
Doors will open at the Amazon Style apparel store in Glendale, Calif., later this year
- Amazon is the nation's No. 1 apparel retailer , but it has apparently decided that online sales aren't enough. CNBC reports the e-commerce giant will be opening a clothing store (as in one you can actually walk into) in a Los Angeles suburb later this year. Amazon Style will...
Family of Amazon Driver
Killed in Tornado Is Suing
Jan 17, 2022 6:55 PM CST
Family of Amazon Driver Killed in Tornado Is Suing
Father wants to know why Bezos went to space 'but couldn’t make it to Edwardsville'
- The family of one of six Amazon workers killed when a tornado ripped through a warehouse in southern Illinois last month is taking the company to court. The lawsuit filed Monday says contract driver Austin McEwen, 26, and other employees were ordered to keep working at the Edwardsville facility Dec....
Cops Find Thousands
of Undelivered Amazon
Packages in Home
Jan 6, 2022 12:02 PM CST
Cops Find Thousands of Undelivered Amazon Packages in Home
2 delivery drivers have been arrested
- Police in Oklahoma say they have recovered thousands of stolen Amazon packages—and the suspects are delivery drivers, not Blackbeard-level porch pirates. In a Facebook post Wednesday, police in Luther, around 30 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, said three suspects were arrested after a home was searched and thousands of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
His Startup Is About to Go Public. He's Also a Killer
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
Tech Bigwig Was on Call on How to Contest Trump's Loss
First, 'Loud Noises on Their Lanai.' Then, a Surprise Visitor
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.