Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Animal Activists Lose Battle As
Whales Arrive to Aquarium
May 16, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Animal Activists Lose Battle As Whales Arrive to Aquarium
Five Belugas made a day-long trek from Canada to Connecticut
- Five Beluga whales have arrived at their new home in a Connecticut aquarium after a years-long legal battle to import them and two others from Canada. The first three animals were flown from Ontario to Connecticut on Friday, per the AP . They arrived in Mystic on three tractor-trailers, where they...
In Pet Shops Across America,
an 'Incredibly Destructive' Find
Mar 12, 2021 12:35 PM CST
In Pet Shops Across America, an 'Incredibly Destructive' Find
Invasive zebra mussels have turned up in moss balls, an aquarium accessories, in 21 states
- They're as small as a fingernail, but the damage that zebra mussels can cause belies their tiny size. That's why the feds are concerned that the invasive, quickly multiplying mollusks have been popping up in pet stores across the US, specifically in ornamental moss balls used as decor...
Same-Sex Penguins Have
Their Own Baby Chick
Aug 26, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
Same-Sex Penguins Have Their Own Baby Chick
Electra and Viola are now parents
- Meet Electra and Viola: The female penguin couple is making headlines after welcoming a newly hatched chick to the world, CBS News reports. Seems they adopted an egg from other penguins—really, it was given to them—and incubated and hatched it as their own. According to NBC News , the...
Guy Who Swam in Store
Aquarium Has Fishy Excuse
Jun 29, 2020 2:55 PM CDT
Guy Who Swam in Store Aquarium Has Fishy Excuse
Kevin Wise says he didn't want to lie to TikTok fans
- A man arrested for jumping in the fish tank at a Bass Pro Shop in Louisiana says he was doing it for the sake of integrity. The 26-year-old says he promised his followers on TikTok—where several others have carried out the "Bass Pro Challenge"—that he would...
Its Eels Are
May 1, 2020 7:03 AM CDT
Aquarium's Problem: Its Eels Are Forgetting People Exist
An 'unprecedented situation' in Tokyo
- A Japanese aquarium has an "urgent request" for locals who can't stop by for a visit due to the coronavirus shutdown: It wants them to partake in a "face-showing festival" instead and call in for a video chat with its spotted garden eels, for whom the presence...
At Closed Aquarium,
Penguins Take a Stroll
Mar 17, 2020 7:57 AM CDT
At Closed Aquarium, Penguins Take a Stroll
With humans barred, Chicago's Shedd Aquarium lets them wander
- Chicago's Shedd Aquarium has provided a rare bright spot amid the coronavirus news: Video of penguins strolling around the joint, reports CNN . The museum is closed to the public for the near future, so the penguins' caretakers let them go on what they called a "field trip" to...
Electric Eel Keeps
Christmas Tree Lit
Dec 5, 2019 8:42 AM CST
Electric Eel Keeps This Aquarium's Christmas Tree Lit
Miguel Wattson is providing the juice for seasonal lights at the Tennessee Aquarium
- Visitors to the Tennessee Aquarium may be shocked to learn that an electric eel named Miguel Wattson is lighting up a Christmas tree, per the AP . A special system connected to Miguel's tank enables his shocks to power strands of lights on a nearby tree, according to a news...
A Marine Park Was Abandoned
in January. Its Animals Remain
Aug 31, 2018 9:09 AM CDT
A Marine Park Was Abandoned in January. Its Animals Remain
Photos of dolphin, penguins spark public outcry at Japan's Inubosaki Marine Park Aquarium
- A solitary bottlenose dolphin swims in a small pool enclosed by a rusty railing. Not far away, dust-covered penguins wander over chunks of concrete and other debris. This has been life at Japan's Inubosaki Marine Park Aquarium since January when its owner abandoned it, citing a decline in visitors....
Man Admits Stealing Shark,
Insists It 'Needed Help'
Aug 2, 2018 12:09 PM CDT
Man Admits Stealing Shark, Insists It 'Needed Help'
Anthony Shannon previously 'inspected' aquarium under guise
- Anthony Shannon says he knows it was "wrong" to steal an aquarium's shark, carted off in a baby stroller over the weekend, but the 38-year-old insists it was "an emergency." In an interview with KENS-TV , the self-described marine activist who keeps five sharks and dozens of...
They Fled the Aquarium With a
Stroller. There Was No Baby
Jul 31, 2018 9:45 AM CDT
They Fled the Aquarium With a Stroller. There Was No Baby
Man charged with theft of horn shark in San Antonio; 2 others expected to be charged
- A juvenile horn shark is back in its tank at the San Antonio Aquarium after three people whisked it away in a baby stroller. "When we first got the call, we thought it was kind of a hoax being that it was Shark Week last week," Leon Valley...
An Octopus Birth,
Then a Surprise
Burst of Color
Feb 12, 2018 9:40 AM CST
An Octopus Birth, Then a Surprise Burst of Color
Video by Virginia Aquarium viewed 2.4M times
- It happens almost in the blink of an eye. A colorless creature pops from a bundle of eggs, turns a brownish-purple hue, and swims away. It's a rare sight now witnessed by millions, thanks to the Virginia Aquarium, which shared a video of the Caribbean reef octopus's birth...
Coral-Filled Tanks Are
Gorgeous, Have a Dark Side
Aug 6, 2017 1:40 PM CDT
Coral-Filled Tanks Are Gorgeous, Have a Dark Side
If certain zoanthid corals are present, that is
- Home aquariums used to pretty much be for fish only. That changed with the advent of LED lights, which allow hobbyists to replicate a tropical sun indoors—without boiling the water in the tank. And so a new industry boomed: A subset of aquarium hobbyists—often called "reefers"—...
Force Aquarium to
Leave 10K Animals
Nov 29, 2016 6:32 AM CST
'Apocalypse': Tenn. Wildfires Force Aquarium to Leave 10K Animals
Flames threaten Ripley's, Dollywood as much-needed rain finally falls
- One of at least 14 wildfires raging in Gatlinburg, Tenn., is threatening thousands of animals at Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies. Flames engulfed at least 30 buildings in the area late Monday—including a 16-story hotel outside the Dollywood theme park in Pigeon Forge—leading aquarium employees to be...
Oct 5, 2016 6:56 AM CDT
Stingray Kills Aquarium Worker
Philip Chan, 62, was helping transfer Singapore sea creatures to new homes
- In what police are calling the first death of its kind in Singapore, a longtime professional diver was killed by a stingray Tuesday at a shuttered aquarium, the BBC and Reuters report. Philip Chan, 62, who'd worked at Underwater World since it opened its doors in 1991, was the...
The 'Holy Grail of Ornamental
Fish' Is Disappearing
Sep 17, 2016 12:58 PM CDT
The 'Holy Grail of Ornamental Fish' Is Disappearing
Experts believe the Banggai cardinalfish only has a few years left in the wild
- The Banggai cardinalfish—the "holy grail of ornamental fish"—may soon disappear from the wild due to its popularity in aquariums, according to an in-depth piece from
. The tiny fish lives only in a 9-square-mile area of Indonesia, and yet fishermen were catching at least 2,...
Polar Bear' Lives
in Chinese Mall
Jul 18, 2016 4:50 PM CDT
'World's Saddest Polar Bear' Lives in Chinese Mall
Activists want it closed
- His name is Pizza and he lives in a Chinese mall where visitors pose for selfies next to his glass enclosure and knock loudly to get his attention. Such is life when you're the "world's saddest polar bear," per the
. Pizza , a polar bear...
Moving Its Dolphins
Jun 15, 2016 7:42 AM CDT
National Aquarium Moving Its Dolphins to Sanctuary
8 will head to seaside facility by end of 2020
- Baltimore's National Aquarium says it will send its eight dolphins to "the nation's first seaside dolphin sanctuary" before the end of 2020 amid increasing pressure from animal activists. The animals will live out their lives in the outdoor facility, which has not been built, but will still...
to 35 Sharks
Mar 29, 2016 9:53 AM CDT
Sleep Next to 35 Sharks With Airbnb
Contest winners will spend night in Paris aquarium's shark tank
- Why swim with sharks when you can sleep with them instead? Three lucky couples will get that chance: Those who submit the best essay on why they deserve to sleep next to sharks will win a free one-night stay for two in a transparent bedroom suspended at the center of...
Lady Shark Gobbles
Male Roomie in One Gulp
Jan 31, 2016 4:00 PM CST
Lady Shark Gobbles Male Roomie in One Gulp
Sand tiger shark eats smaller male in South Korea
- A female shark paid her male roommate the ultimate insult Thursday in a South Korean aquarium: She ate the guy. And when the aquarium reopened Friday, only his tail was sticking out of her mouth. It's unclear why the seven-foot-long sand tiger shark slowly ate the smaller male at...
Aquarium Teaches Asthmatic Otter to Use Inhaler
Sep 17, 2015 3:59 PM CDT
Aquarium Teaches Asthmatic Otter to Use Inhaler
Mishka's trainers at Seattle Aquarium are trying to make it fun
- The Seattle Aquarium has diagnosed a sea otter with asthma and is training the animal to use an inhaler. KING-TV reports Dr. Lesanna Lahner diagnosed the otter, named Mishka, after she was having trouble breathing when smoke from wildfires was in the Seattle area. "These lungs ... have more white...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
'For 45 Years, We've Looked for This Young Man and This Car'
Scott Peterson Resentenced to Life Without Parole
Study Finds 'All Our Efforts' on Vaccines Not 'Trash' After All
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.