Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,831,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ancient Coin Is Dropped in Salvation Army Kettle
And it's not the only gold coin to be given
- The Salvation Army is celebrating after rare gold coins were dropped in bell ringers' kettles in three states. A one-ounce 1978 South Africa Krugerrand coin worth $1,600 was found wrapped in a $2 bill following a round of collecting at Casey's Foods in Naperville, Ill., on Tuesday, reports...
'Fake' Coin Will Actually Make Owner 'Quite Rich'
Turns out it's one of a handful of rare $5 Liberty Head Half Eagles, minted in 1854
- In what a currency expert tells the
San Francisco Chronicle
is the equivalent of "finding an original Picasso at a garage sale," a rare coin from the California gold rush has been unearthed—said to be one of only four still in existence. The Independent reports the unnamed...
Single Coin in Salvation Army Kettle Was Worth $1.2K
Anonymous donor dropped it in SC kettle
- An anonymous person dropped a single gold coin worth about $1,200 in a Salvation Army kettle in South Carolina. The 1-ounce South African Krugerrand was dropped into a Salvation Army kettle during a fundraising drive at a Walmart store in Tega Cay, the
reports. The coin will likely...
Searching for a Foundation, They Found Treasure Instead
'I thought how I'd never again see something like it'
- They were searching for an old infirmary. What they uncovered was an "exceptional and extremely rare treasure": 2,200 silver coins, 21 gold coins, a gold signet ring, gold foil, and a circular object also made of gold. It's a collection unlike any ever found, according to French...
Giant Gold Coin Still Missing, but Cops Make 4 Arrests
It weighs 221 pounds, was stolen from German museum
- German police raided buildings in Berlin early Wednesday, arresting four suspects in connection with the brazen heist of a 221-pound Canadian gold coin stolen from one of the city's museums earlier this year. The raids of 13 different buildings lasted several hours, but, alas, the gold coin was not...
'Life-Changing' Treasure Found in Piano Still Perplexes
Which is good news for Bishops Castle Community College, a piano tuner
- British officials say they've been unable to trace the rightful heirs to a trove of gold coins found stashed inside a piano and worth a "life-changing" amount of money. The school that owns the piano and the tuner who found the gold are now in line for a...
Gold Coin That Weighs 220 Pounds Somehow Stolen
$4M theft happened Monday in Berlin
- Thieves kept their eyes on the target in the early hours of Monday morning when they somehow circumvented a German museum's security system and made off with just one coin. But it's not just any old coin; the so-called "big maple leaf" Canadian coin is pure 24-carat...
The Gold Could Be Worth $100M. She Has to Give It Back
Rare Double Eagles were pilfered from Mint decades ago
- The US government is $100 million richer after the latest ruling in a strange case involving some long-lost gold coins. In 2003, Pennsylvania's Joan Langbord says she found 10 "Double Eagle" coins from 1933 in a safe-deposit box that once belonged to her father, jeweler Israel Switt. The...
Hiker Finds Incredibly Rare Ancient Coin
Laurie Rimon noticed it while hiking in Israel
- Look twice next time you see a glimmer in the grass—it might be a bit of history. So Laurie Rimon learned when she spotted a gold coin while hiking in the Galilee area of northern Israel last week, NPR reports. Amazingly, the coin was minted by Roman Emperor Trajan...
Boston Library Learns More Than Art Has Gone Missing
Investigation was launched into Rembrandt, Durer works last month
- Apparently more than just valuable artwork is missing from the Boston Public Library's archives. A library spokeswoman says a retired employee who now volunteers told administrators last week that gold coins originally placed in the cornerstone of the main building have been missing for decades. The spokeswoman says the...
Divers Find 1468 Wreck That May Hold Millions in Coins
Famed Hanneke Wrome carried 200 souls, seriously rich cargo when it sank
- An international team of divers has discovered a long-sought 15th-century shipwreck just south of the island of Jussarö in Finland. When the Hanneke Wrome sank in 1468 during heavy storms in the Baltic Sea on its way from Germany to Estonia, it was considered one of the biggest maritime disasters...
Court: Feds Have to Return Stolen Coins Worth Millions
Double eagles swiped in the 1930s must be returned to Philly family
- In 1933, the US Mint in Philadelphia minted almost half a million $20 gold coins, known as double eagles. But with the nation in the throes of the Depression and fearing a bank run, FDR blocked their release and most were melted down. A few managed to wander out of...
Professor Looks Into Rumor, Finds Priceless Coin Trove
Coins had sat in university archives for 80 years
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
, the swashbuckling professor tells his students that "70% of all archaeology is done in the library"—but at the University at Buffalo, it turned out to be 100% for assistant classics professor Philip Kiernan. He followed up on a rumor about...
'Priceless' Gold Coins Found in Record Israel Haul
Israeli diving club at first thought the coins were toy versions
- Many divers search long and hard for sunken treasure, but an Israeli diving club out for a recent dive in their local harbor struck literal gold by chance: 2,000 priceless gold coins that had been sitting on the seabed for about 1,000 years, the largest stash of gold...
'Buried Treasure' Can Now Be Yours
Sale begins of 1,400 gold coins found in California
- The "buried treasure" found by a California couple out walking their dog —an estimated $11 million worth of rare gold coins from the 1800s—has started to be auctioned off. Last night at the Old San Francisco Mint, an 1874 $20 double eagle sold for $15,000, the...
Scrap Dealer Finds Famed Faberge Egg at Flea Market
Midwest discovery is worth millions
- There's good luck—and then there's the case of the scrap-metal dealer who found one of the eight missing Faberge imperial eggs at a flea market in the American Midwest. A London antique dealer said the man bought the egg for about $14,000, thinking he could make...
Buried Gold Likely Not From Heist, Says US Mint Rep
And he's not the only one to pooh-pooh the theory
- Perhaps it was too intriguing to be true: A rep for the US Mint and an expert on the San Francisco Mint throw water on the latest theory surrounding the $10 million in gold coins uncovered in California—that they were the long-hidden spoils of a 1901 gold heist from...
Source of Buried California Gold: Century-Old Heist?
If the theory is true, it could be bad news for the couple who found the coins
- The only thing more mysterious than the identity of the couple who stumbled upon an estimated $10 million in US gold coins while walking their dog on their California property: Where did the gold come from? The
San Francisco Chronicle
floats a theory with all the intrigue and illegality you...
Taxes to Eat Half of Couple's $10M Gold Find
Calif. find will be taxed at the highest rate
- The $10 million stash of gold coins a couple in California found while walking their dog is a big bonanza for Uncle Sam, tax experts say. Most of the money they make from selling the coins will be taxed at the highest level, meaning state and federal taxes will eat...
Couple Finds $10M in Gold Coins on Dog Walk
The 1800s coins were buried on their property in northern California
- That was some dog walk. A couple in California's Sierra Nevada region out for a stroll on their own property unearthed an estimated $10 million in US gold coins from the 1800s, reports the
San Francisco Chronicle
. It's thought to be the most valuable such hoard ever found...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trudeau Pauses for 21 Seconds When Asked About US
Trump's Walk to Church Is a Polarizing Moment
Ominous Tweet Tied to White Nationalists, Not Antifa
1807 Law Is at Center of Trump's Newest Move
Brothers, 6 and 7, Die While Joyriding in Grandma's Car
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.