Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Department of Energy
Stories 1 - 20 |
Today Kicks Off a Ban
of These Lightbulbs
Aug 1, 2023 11:27 AM CDT
Today Kicks Off a Ban of These Lightbulbs
Barring of incandescent, halogen bulbs emitting fewer than 45 lumens per watt is now in place
- The country may look a bit brighter Tuesday under a new rule banning most incandescent and halogen lightbulbs. Under an Energy Department rule put in place in April 2022, the manufacture and sale of most household incandescent and halogen bulbs is banned as of Tuesday, per Quartz . There are exceptions,...
Energy Department, Other
Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Jun 16, 2023 9:09 AM CDT
Energy Department, Other Agencies Hit by 'Intrusions'
Ransomware attack that appears to have exploited a computer flaw has affected other groups globally
- The Department of Energy and multiple other federal agencies are the victims of a ransomware attack that has already hit businesses in the UK and elsewhere around the globe. The US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, or CISA, is lending support to those agencies "that have experienced intrusions,"...
Energy Dept. Official
Fired After Allegedly
Dec 14, 2022 12:37 AM CST
Energy Dept. Official Fired After Allegedly Stealing Luggage
Sam Brinton was one of the first openly non-binary people hired by the federal government
- Sam Brinton, who made headlines when they became one of the federal government's first openly non-binary officials, is no longer employed by the Department of Energy after they were accused of stealing luggage on two separate occasions from two different airports. Brinton, 35, is accused of stealing a woman'...
Old-Fashioned Light Bulbs
Are Handed a Death Sentence
Apr 26, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Old-Fashioned Light Bulbs Are Handed a Death Sentence
Advocates praise move to wind down use of '19th-century technology'
- The Biden administration is scrapping old-fashioned incandescent light bulbs, speeding an ongoing trend toward more efficient lighting that officials say will save households, schools, and businesses billions of dollars a year. Rules finalized by the Energy Department will require manufacturers to sell energy-efficient light bulbs, accelerating a longtime industry practice...
Feds 'Ready to Rock-and-Roll'
in Push to Expand Wind Power
Mar 29, 2021 2:15 PM CDT
Feds 'Ready to Rock-and-Roll' in Push to Expand Wind Power
Administration to support huge expansion in East Coast offshore wind projects
- National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy says the Biden administration is "ready to rock-and-roll" with plans to boost offshore wind energy production along the East Coast. McCarthy said Monday that the administration plans to speed up development of clean energy projects and generate 30 million gigawatts of offshore wind power—...
Feb 25, 2021 12:28 PM CST
Biden Gets His Energy Chief
Senate confirms Jennifer Granholm, an advocate of cleaner cars
- Former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm won Senate confirmation Thursday to be President Joe Biden’s energy secretary, per the AP . The vote was 64-35. Granholm, who served two terms as governor in a state dominated by the auto industry, will be a key player in Biden's vision for a...
'This Is Looking Like
Worst Hacking Case
in History of America'
Dec 18, 2020 6:55 AM CST
'This Is Looking Like Worst Hacking Case in History of America'
Mitt Romney says silence from White House on alleged Russian attack 'inexcusable'
- An alarming development in the massive cyberattack on American government systems: Sources tell Politico that the agencies that maintain America's nuclear weapons stockpile were compromised in the attack, which is strongly suspected to have been carried out by Russia. The sources say they have found evidence that hackers accessed...
After Trump Complaint, Feds
Plan to Change Shower Rules
Aug 13, 2020 6:25 AM CDT
After Trump Complaint, Feds Plan to Change Shower Rules
'My hair ... it has to be perfect,' he said
- Weeks after President Trump complained that showers aren't strong enough, the Department of Energy has unveiled plans to loosen a 28-year-old energy law. Last month, Trump said that "when you take a shower, the water doesn't come out." "So what do you do? You just...
Trump's Dishwasher Lament
Dec 19, 2019 10:00 AM CST
Trump's Dishwasher Lament Generates Attention
'Now you press it 12 times. Women tell me ...'
- President Trump gave one of his longest speeches to date Wednesday night, with ridicule of his impeachment in the House a big topic. But Trump also hit on a less consequential issue that's now generating headlines: dishwashers. As in, the machines in people's kitchens. "Remember the dishwasher?...
Nov 2, 2019 6:00 AM CDT
House Investigators to Perry: You're Up. Perry: Nope
Spokeswoman for energy secretary says he'll only 'partake' in impeachment inquiry if it's public
- The first member of Trump's Cabinet has been summoned to testify in the impeachment inquiry on the president—and it looks like he may not be going. A source tells the AP that Rick Perry's House appearance is set for Wednesday, but the energy secretary has already ignored...
Reports: Trump Is About to
Lose Another Cabinet Member
Oct 4, 2019 6:51 AM CDT
Reports: Trump Is About to Lose Another Cabinet Member
Announcement from Energy Secretary Rick Perry on his resignation said to be coming soon
- Looks like the Trump administration is about to lose another Cabinet member. Politico reported late Thursday that Energy Secretary Rick Perry is set to announce he's stepping down, with sources "familiar with his plans" saying his departure would come by the end of next month. The
After Khashoggi Murder, Feds
OK'd Saudi Nuclear Permits
Jun 5, 2019 5:06 AM CDT
After Khashoggi Murder, Feds OK'd Saudi Nuclear Permits
Sen. Tim Kaine slams 'eagerness to give Saudis anything they want'
- Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine cried foul Tuesday after learning that the Trump administration approved the transfer of nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia on two occasions after the murder of
columnist Jamal Khashoggi. The Department of Energy informed the Senate on Tuesday that licenses to export the sensitive technology...
May 30, 2019 12:20 PM CDT
Introducing America's New Export, 'Freedom Gas'
Department of Energy's new term is met with skepticism
- Why call it liquefied natural gas when you can call it "freedom gas"? The patriotic term is making headlines after being spotted in a press release from the Department of Energy. On Tuesday, the department headed by Rick Perry announced that exports of the fuel source would be...
'Beyond Outraged' by
Jan 31, 2019 1:34 AM CST
Nevada Governor 'Beyond Outraged' by Nuclear 'Deception'
Feds secretly shipped plutonium from SC
- The Department of Energy revealed on Wednesday that it secretly shipped weapons-grade plutonium from South Carolina to a nuclear security site in Nevada months ago despite the state's protests. The Justice Department notified a federal judge in Reno that the government trucked in the radioactive material to store at...
Ex-DOE Staffer: My Rick Perry
Photos Got Me Fired
Jan 18, 2018 11:04 AM CST
Ex-DOE Staffer: My Rick Perry Photos Got Me Fired
Photographer says there was retaliation after he leaked pics of meeting between Perry, coal baron
- Snapping photos of a meeting attended by Energy Secretary Rick Perry was part of Simon Edelman's role as a Department of Energy photographer. Yet he says he lost his job for doing just that, and ensuring the photos were seen. In an interview with the AP , Edelman says he...
Coal Companies Seeking Help
From Energy Dept. Rejected
Aug 22, 2017 10:18 AM CDT
Coal Companies Seeking Help From Energy Dept. Rejected
One CEO says President Trump personally promised him relief
- The Trump administration has rejected a coal industry push to win a rarely used emergency order protecting coal-fired power plants, a decision contrary to what one coal executive said the president personally promised him, the AP reports. The Energy Department says it considered issuing the order sought by companies seeking...
Tunnel Collapses at
'Most Toxic Site in America'
May 10, 2017 3:52 AM CDT
Tunnel Collapses at 'Most Toxic Site in America'
No workers injured at sprawling nuclear site
- A tunnel collapse was discovered at the Hanford nuclear site Tuesday, months after experts called the Washington state facility "the most toxic place in America" and a "Chernobyl waiting to happen." Some 4,800 workers at the site were told to shelter indoors Tuesday morning after crews...
Rick Perry Sorry He Wanted
to Get Rid of Energy Dept.
Jan 19, 2017 12:28 PM CST
Rick Perry Sorry He Wanted to Get Rid of Energy Dept.
Statements 'do not reflect my current thinking,' says appointee
- Oops . Rick Perry, who famously pledged to get rid of the Energy Department while simultaneously forgetting its name in 2012, says he regrets that now that he's learned what the department actually does, the
reports. Perry is Donald Trump's pick to head the department, and...
Energy Department Rebuffs
'Unsettling' Trump Request
Dec 13, 2016 4:32 PM CST
Energy Department Rebuffs 'Unsettling' Trump Request
Refuses to give out names of those working on climate change
- Donald Trump's transition team sent a memo with 74 questions to the Energy Department this week, among them a request for the names of people who have worked on climate change issues recently. Specifically, it requested a list of all employees and contractors who attended the UN's annual...
Trump Picks Perry
as Energy Chief:
Dec 13, 2016 11:34 AM CST
Trump Picks Perry as Energy Chief: Reports
Yes, it's the department he once vowed to abolish
- Donald Trump has decided on Rick Perry to lead the Energy Department, though that department wouldn't actually exist if Perry had his wish, reports the
New York Times
. NBC News and the
are also among several outlets reporting the news after the former Texas governor met with...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.