Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Airline Now Selling Its Meals in Supermarkets
Finnair wants to satisfy 'wanderlust'
- Finnair says it wants to keep its catering staff employed—and bring a taste of air travel to hungry Finns stuck at home because of the pandemic. The airline says it's planning to sell business-class meals in supermarkets, and the choices will be more exciting than "beef or...
No More 'Feminine Hygiene' Products in This Supermarket
NZ's Countdown chain will drop euphemisms, just use 'period' for tampons, pads, and menstrual cups
- New Zealand shoppers annoyed at tap-dancing around the word "period" on menstrual products may want to start doing their shopping at Countdown: The
reports that the supermarket chain will be nixing euphemistic terms such as "sanitary" and "feminine hygiene" on products like tampons, pads, and menstrual...
Sticker Shock at the Supermarket? You're Not Alone
Price of groceries just saw record-setting spike due to coronavirus pandemic
- With most Americans sheltering at home as they wait out the coronavirus pandemic, you may have noticed that while your eating-out tab has gone down, your supermarket bill has gone up. It's not in your head: The monthly consumer price index has been released by the Bureau of Labor...
Man Who Used KKK Hood as Face Mask Is Off the Hook
Police say their hands are tied after supermarket incident in Santee, Calif.
- A white man pictured wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood at a supermarket near San Diego will not face charges. An investigation into the May 2 incident at the Vons in Santee didn't uncover enough evidence for police to pursue charges, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department said...
Here's What Is Happening at America's Meat Plants
Unions cry foul after Trump orders plants to stay open
- President Trump signed an executive order on Tuesday to keep meat processing plants open as "critical infrastructure"—but with coronavirus outbreaks sickening workers and closing plants, some meat products are already in short supply. Poultry plants say they are doing less de-boning as a way to function with...
$35K in Food Dumped After 'Twisted Prank' in Grocery Store
Woman went around coughing on everything as a joke, store co-owner says
- A "very challenging day" at a Pennsylvania grocery store started with a cough and ended with more than $35,000 worth of food being dumped.
reports on the incident Wednesday at Gerrity's Supermarket in Hanover Township, where a woman reportedly came in and "proceeded to...
Cashier Didn't Think Anyone Noticed His Good Deed. They Did
David Vance quietly paid for elderly man's groceries out of his own pocket after the customer's credit card kept getting declined
- David Vance tried to pull off a subtle act of kindness for someone in financial straits last month, but someone noticed, posted about it online, and now the grocery store cashier in Northern Ireland is being hailed around the world. Vance, who works at a Lidl in Belfast, was working...
2 Women Were Told to Speak English. Enter a 'Shero'
Linda Dwire arrested and charged with harassing 2 Mexican women shopping in Colorado
- A confrontation among four women in a Colorado grocery store has led to one being called a "shero," two grateful for her efforts, and a fourth, who calls herself the "patriotic" one of the bunch, arrested, per the Daily Dot . The incident took place at a City...
She's Accused of Eating on the Job—but Not Her Own Lunch
Ohio deli worker accused of devouring $9.2K of ham and salami, a handful of slices at a time
- Vice's Munchies notes this case could be one of "thinly sliced larceny," but whether charges emerge remains to be seen. A loss-prevention manager at a Giant Eagle supermarket in Bolivar, Ohio, recently received an odd tip about a longtime employee at the deli counter: She was...
Big Change Coming to Kroger, and It's Starting in Seattle
Supermarket chain to get rid of all plastic bags by 2025
- The nation's largest grocery chain will be free of plastic bags at all of its nearly 2,800 stores by 2025. Kroger Co., which orders about 6 billion bags each year, will begin phasing out their use immediately at one of its chains based in Seattle, a city that'...
Trying to Push Voter ID, Trump Makes Odd Claim on Groceries
No, you don't usually need ID to buy groceries
- More than a quarter-century after former President George HW Bush's grocery store scanner moment , President Trump has stumbled into a similar supermarket-themed slip. While championing the concept of voter ID to prevent noncitizen voting, Trump told a rally in Tampa, Fla., on Tuesday that ID is required virtually everywhere...
'Bag Rage' Kicks In as Stores Enact Plastic Ban
Australia encounters resistance amid away from single-use plastic bags
- The move away from plastic bags became abusive and even violent in Australia over the past couple of weeks, Reuters reports. With retailers in most Australian states facing a fine for offering single-use plastic bags as of July 1, major supermarket chains like Woolworths and Coles began the transition early—...
Under Amazon, This Item Is 43% Cheaper at Whole Foods
Eating an organic apple a day won't cost so much now
- Under Amazon, "Whole Paycheck" may need to be updated as "Most-but-Not-All-of-My Paycheck." Amazon on Monday finalized its $13.7 billion takeover of the grocer, and Bloomberg reports new orange signs marked "Whole Foods + Amazon" now appear throughout the grocery store and herald the new prices...
America's 10 Favorite Grocery Stores
Publix, Wegmans top Marketforce's list
- Aldi doesn't need a $1.6 billion revamp to best competitor Whole Foods—at least when it comes to Americans' opinions. Aldi comes in at the No. 5 spot on Marketforce 's list of America’s favorite grocery stores, with Whole Foods at No. 10. Marketforce polled nearly...
Millennial Favorite Aldi Has a Big Rival in Its Sights
Taking aim at Whole Foods, chain announces $1.6B facelift
- After siphoning business away from more upscale competitors, low-cost grocer Aldi is now going to start resembling them more in appearance. The supermarket chain will spend $1.6 billion to spruce up its US stores while keeping prices down, reports Bloomberg . The effort is targeted at big grocers like Whole...
Whole Foods to Pay NYC $500K in Overcharging Spat
Settlement also calls for audits to make sure products are labeled correctly
- Whole Foods said Monday it will pay New York City $500,000 to settle allegations it overcharged customers for prepackaged foods. The city's Department of Consumer Affairs said the settlement also requires Whole Foods Market Inc. to conduct quarterly audits to ensure products are accurately weighed and labeled. The...
France May Force Groceries to Give Food to Charity
Bill mandates that big supermarkets give unsold edibles to charities, farms
- France's parliament has voted to forbid big supermarkets from destroying unsold food as part of a national campaign against food waste. The amendment approved by the National Assembly (the lower house of Parliament) late yesterday is part of a larger environmental bill and would require big supermarket chains to...
Why Farmers Markets Aren't That Great
Study says they're pricey and not much healthier
- Who doesn't like a farmers market? Organic food, weird jams, and a sense of community have drawn shoppers nationwide for years. But a new study says the markets don't really fulfill their reputation of promoting a healthy diet—and definitely don't save people money,
Why That Rotisserie Chicken Is So Cheap
Stores wisely cook up birds about to hit their expiration date: Megan McArdle
- Those who like chicken might have noticed a seemingly weird quirk in the grocery store: It's generally cheaper to buy a fully cooked rotisserie chicken than to buy a raw chicken and prepare it yourself at home, writes Megan McArdle at Bloomberg View . Cooking food yourself is typically cheaper,...
Deadly MRSA Bacteria Found in Supermarket Meats
22.5% of tested meat was contaminated
- The potentially deadly, antibiotic-resistant MRSA bacteria has been found in supermarket meats. Cooking kills the bacteria, but consumers risk infection when they handle raw meat. MRSA has been found increasingly in hospitals and nursing homes, where it can cause serious illness and death. But it has also been spread among...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Before SCOTUS Vote, Democrats Have Request for Pence
Felicity Huffman Has Paid Full Debt to Society
Man Uses Most Unusual Way to Take Down Biden Signs: Cops
Putin Speaks Out on Trump's Criticism of Biden Family
13 Australian Women Allegedly Strip-Searched After Qatar Airways Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.