Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Lawmaker Gets Good News
After Hong Kong Gun Arrest
Oct 30, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
US Lawmaker Gets Good News After Hong Kong Gun Arrest
Case against Washington state's Jeff Wilson dismissed
- A Hong Kong court dismissed a gun charge Monday against a Washington state senator who had been arrested after he carried a gun into the Chinese territory in what he called an "honest mistake." Principal Magistrate Don So approved the arrangement for a bind-over order rather than a...
Biden: US Needs New Gun Laws
or 'We Need a New Congress'
Jun 16, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Biden: US Needs New Gun Laws or 'We Need a New Congress'
Legislation approved after Uvalde massacre was just a first step, president says
- President Biden made a passionate call for increased gun restrictions on Friday in Connecticut, celebrating the one-year anniversary of the first significant piece of federal firearms legislation in nearly three decades but declaring it was only an "important first step." He urged voters to defeat lawmakers who resist,...
Judge: No More Barring
18- to 20-Year-Olds
From Buying Handguns
May 12, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Judge: No More Barring 18- to 20-Year-Olds From Buying Handguns
Decision is expected to be placed on hold as higher courts consider the case
- Federally licensed weapons dealers are subject to laws and regulations barring them from selling handguns to anyone under 21—but on Wednesday, a judge in Virginia struck those laws and regulations down, ruling that 18- to 20-year-olds cannot be barred from buying handguns. "Because the statutes and regulations in...
Colorado Toughens Gun
Laws After Latest Shooting
Apr 28, 2023 1:11 PM CDT
Colorado Toughens Gun Laws After Latest Shooting
One raises the age to buy guns from 18 to 21
- Colorado’s governor signed four gun control bills Friday, edging the once-purple state closer to liberal-leaning governments in California and New York just months after a shooting at an LGBTQ nightclub in Colorado Springs , the latest in the state’s long history of notorious massacres, per the AP . The new...
Alito Sends Message
to Gun Law Opponents
Jan 11, 2023 5:33 PM CST
Alito Sends Message to Gun Law Opponents
Court lets New York restrictions stand for now
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday declined to block New York state restrictions on carrying concealed firearms, though two justices encouraged the law's opponents to not give up their fight. The law is being challenged, with the case now before the federal appeals court in New York, and the justices...
His Weapons in Public Caused
Panic, but the Law Is Murky
Jan 3, 2023 2:26 PM CST
His Weapons in Public Caused Panic, but the Law Is Murky
'New York Times' takes a look at ongoing case of Rico Marley, arrested in a Georgia grocery
- Nearly two years after a heavily armed man sparked panic in an Atlanta supermarket, Georgia’s justice system is still trying to figure what laws the man broke, if any. The
New York Times
follows up on the case of Rico Marley, who was 22 when he was arrested in...
Prosecutors Charge Father
of Parade Shooting Defendant
Dec 16, 2022 4:40 PM CST
Prosecutors Charge Father of Parade Shooting Defendant
Robert Crimo Jr. sponsored his son's application for a gun license
- Prosecutors announced that they've charged the father of a man facing 21 first-degree murder counts in a mass shooting at a July 4 parade near Chicago. Robert Crimo Jr., who surrendered Friday, is charged with seven felony counts of reckless conduct, Lake County State's Attorney Eric Rinehart said,...
NHL Star Blasts
Trudeau on Gun Bill
Dec 6, 2022 1:05 PM CST
NHL Star Blasts Trudeau on Gun Bill
Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price calls PM 'unjust': 'I am not a criminal or a threat to society'
- Canada has stricter gun laws than the United States, and after the April 2020 massacre in Nova Scotia—the country's deadliest mass shooting ever, with 22 fatally shot—Bill C-21 came into existence. It seeks to ban the purchase and import of handguns and "assault-style" guns across the...
Group of Senators
Reaches Broad Deal to
Address Gun Violence
Jun 12, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Group of Senators Reaches Broad Deal to Address Gun Violence
10 Republicans agree to measures on 'red flag' laws, background checks
- A bipartisan group of senators announced Sunday that they'd agreed to an outline of a gun legislation package that could reverse years of congressional inaction on proposals to reduce mass shootings. The deal includes "red flag" laws and enhanced background checks on prospective gun buyers, NBC News reports....
March for Our Lives
Plans Weekend Rallies
Jun 10, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
March for Our Lives Plans Weekend Rallies
Hundreds are scheduled for around the country seeking gun law changes
- March for Our Lives is planning hundreds of demonstrations across the country this weekend to demand changes to gun laws, driven partly by a series of mass shootings in the US. More than 450 rallies have been organized in at least 45 states, Axios reports, with protests possible at US...
Nevada Makes a Move
Against Assault Weapons
Jun 6, 2022 9:03 AM CDT
Nevada Makes a Move Against Assault Weapons
State to divest from manufacturers; meanwhile, mass shootings claim 13 lives over weekend
- The issue of gun safety remains in the headlines after at least nine mass shootings in the US over the weekend left 13 people dead and more than 50 injured. Axios rounds up details on seven shootings in Philadelphia ; Chattanooga , Tennessee; Mesa, Arizona; Summerton, South Carolina; Phoenix; Macon, Georgia, and...
Domestic Terrorism Bill
Fails in the Senate
May 26, 2022 2:22 PM CDT
Domestic Terrorism Bill Fails in the Senate
Bipartisan group begins work on new guns measure
- Democrats’ first attempt at responding to the back-to-back mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, Texas, failed in the Senate Thursday as Republicans blocked a domestic terrorism bill that would have opened debate on questions surrounding hate crimes and gun safety, per the AP . Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer tried to...
May 25, 2022 7:55 PM CDT
Second Amendment Isn't Absolute, Biden Says
President, first lady plan trip to Texas town reeling from school shooting
- President Biden, arguing again for new gun control laws after the mass shooting in a Texas school, said Wednesday at the White House that the "Second Amendment is not absolute." When it was added to the Constitution, the president said, "You couldn't own a—you couldn'...
Texas Inspires Gun Legislation
Feb 18, 2022 4:06 PM CST
Texas Inspires Gun Legislation
California measure would involve citizens in enforcing assault weapons ban
- A new bill in California would allow private citizens go after gun-makers in the same way Texas lets them target abortion providers, though gun advocates immediately promised a court challenge if it becomes law. Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday backed legislation that would let private citizens enforce the state'...
In This City, a US First
on Gun Ownership
Jan 26, 2022 8:22 AM CST
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
City Council in San Jose, Calif., votes to require gun owners to pay fee, carry liability insurance
- Gun owners in San Jose will soon need to pony up more cash than the cost of the firearm itself. An ordinance has passed in the California city that would require individuals with guns in their possession to pay a $25 annual fee for the privilege, as well as to...
Supreme Court Questions Limits
of New York Gun Law
Nov 3, 2021 5:47 PM CDT
Supreme Court Questions Limits of New York Gun Law
Roberts sounds open to overturning state restrictions
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday seemed ready to strike down a restrictive New York gun permitting law, but the justices also seemed worried that a broad ruling could threaten gun restrictions on subways, bars, stadiums, and other gathering places. The court was hearing arguments in its biggest guns case in...
In 2020, Background Checks
Blocked Most Gun Sales Ever
Jun 23, 2021 4:00 AM CDT
In 2020, Background Checks Blocked Most Gun Sales Ever
As firearm sales surged in US
- The number of people stopped from buying guns through the US background check system hit an all-time high of more than 300,000 last year amid a surge of firearm sales, according to new records obtained by the group Everytown for Gun Safety. The FBI numbers provided to the AP...
Texans Need Guns, Abbott
Says After Signing Bills
Jun 17, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
Texans Need Guns, Abbott Says After Signing Bills
NRA boss watches governor sign repeal of permit requirement
- Gov. Greg Abbott invoked not just the imagery of the Alamo when he signed a package of legislation relaxing gun control laws in Texas—he called on the head of the National Rifle Association to line up with him. The governor staged a bill-signing ceremony Thursday in San Antonio, a...
Texas to Permit
Without a License
May 24, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Texas to Permit Carrying Handgun Without a License
Governor says he'll sign though police have doubts
- Texas legislators on Monday approved removing some of the few remaining restrictions on gun ownership in the state. The measure being sent to Gov. Greg Abbott will let Texans carry handguns without a license and without undergoing a background check and training, CNBC reports. Abbott has said he'll sign...
House Takes Action
on Gun Laws
Mar 11, 2021 12:25 PM CST
House Takes Action on Gun Laws
2 bills would expand background checks, but passage in Senate will be difficult
- Emboldened by their majorities in the House and Senate, Democrats are making a new push to enact the first major new gun control laws in more than two decades—starting with stricter background checks, per the AP . The House passed two bills Thursday to require background checks on all firearms...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.