Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Dan Bongino Permanently
Jan 27, 2022 6:25 AM CST
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
He kept posting misinformation, skirting suspensions
YouTube has permanently barred Dan Bongino. While the right-wing radio and Fox News host's channel was on a one-week suspension for violating the misinformation policy, another account associated with Bongino posted another video with the same misinformation. That not only violated YouTube's misinformation policy, but also Google'...
5 States Bring
Aug 30, 2021 3:25 PM CDT
School Mask Policies in 5 States Bring Investigations
Biden administration had said it would use civil rights protections to fight bans on school mandates
- As promised, education officials in five states have been informed that a federal investigation has begun into whether their prohibitions on school mask mandates violate civil rights protections. The specific issue is whether students with disabilities or health issues are being discriminated against by not being able to safely return...
Defiant Siblings Banned
From High School Over Masks
Aug 27, 2021 10:06 AM CDT
Defiant Siblings Banned From High School Over Masks
Drew and Victoria Nelson say wearing face coverings goes against their Christian beliefs
- Students likely didn't expect their first day of school at Springs Charter School to kick off with a lockdown. But that's exactly what happened at the school in Temecula, Calif., after two siblings refused to wear face masks, a violation of the California Department of Public Health's...
CDC: 90% of Counties
Are in Mask Territory
Aug 12, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
CDC: 90% of Counties Are in Mask Territory
Under CDC guidelines based on transmission rates, people there should wear masks indoors
- The quickly spreading delta variant of the coronavirus has lifted most US counties into infection rates that necessitate the wearing of masks indoors, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday. "Over 90% of counties in the United States are experiencing substantial or high transmission," Dr. Rochelle...
'Pandemic of the Unvaccinated'
Jul 16, 2021 2:08 PM CDT
CDC's Warning: 'Pandemic of the Unvaccinated'
Outbreaks of highly transmissible delta variant burning through areas with low rates
- With COVID cases rising sharply because of the delta variant, the CDC chief on Friday cast things in stark terms: "This is becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated," said Rochelle Walensky, per the Hill . "We are seeing outbreaks of cases in parts of the country that have...
Naked Bike Riders Have
to Wear Just One Item
Jun 5, 2021 1:53 PM CDT
Naked Bike Riders Have to Wear Just One Item
Organizers so far are sticking with Philadelphia's mask guidance
- Philadelphia bike riders won't need their shirts, pants, skirts, or even underwear—just a mask. Organizers of the annual Philly Naked Bike Ride say this year's event will take place Aug. 28 and will require masks, based on the city's earlier coronavirus restrictions. The city lifted most...
May 20, 2021 4:15 PM CDT
Iowa Schools, Businesses Can No Longer Require Masks
Bill passes in final hours of legislature
- Iowans can still wear face masks if they choose to, but nobody can make them. Gov. Kim Reynolds, a Republican, signed legislation Thursday prohibiting mask mandates in public or private schools through 12th grade, the
Des Moines Register
reports. Republican lawmakers won approval of the bill along party lines as...
CDC Guidance 'Not Based
On Science,' Nurses Say
May 16, 2021 4:28 PM CDT
CDC Guidance 'Not Based On Science,' Nurses Say
The largest nurses union in the US says mask guidelines were relaxed too soon
- Eager to ditch your mask? Not so fast, the nation’s largest nurses union says. National Nurses United has vocally disagreed with the CDC’s new guidance on masks. The CDC said Thursday that fully vaccinated people can go about their business without masks or social distancing, with a few...
May 16, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Walensky: Politics Didn't Affect Mask Decision
CDC boss: Unvaccinated people still are not safe
- Asked Sunday whether political pressure played a role in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's about-face on masks, the agency's chief said the deciding factor was science. "It certainly would have been easier if the science had evolved a week earlier," Rochelle Walensky said on...
Forced to Take
Trip After Mask Snafu
Apr 27, 2021 3:44 AM CDT
Alaska Lawmaker Forced to Take 'Adventuresome' Trip After Mask Snafu
Lora Reinbold got in hot water with Alaska Airlines
- Alaska state Sen. Lora Reinbold drove through part of Canada and took a ferry to reach the state's capital over the weekend after Alaska Airlines suspended her from its flights for what it called her “continued refusal to comply with employee instruction regarding the current mask policy.”...
Should You Be
Jan 13, 2021 7:50 PM CST
Should You Be Double-Masking?
'You start achieving some pretty high efficiencies'
- The good news: “Americans will not need to be wearing masks forever,” infectious disease physician Monica Gandhi tells the
New York Times
. But until maskless days come again, some experts are recommending double-masking to help slow the spread of the coronavirus. “If you combine layers, you start...
In After Selfie
Without a Mask
Dec 20, 2020 10:45 AM CST
President Turns Himself In After Selfie Without a Mask
Sebastian Pinera is fined $3.5K after photo shows up on social media
- Chile isn't kidding about its mask rules during the pandemic. Anyone caught maskless in a public place can face jail time, as well as a fine. And photos on social media have brought Sebastian Pinera trouble before: one at a pizza party as demonstrators protested inequality, and one in...
Chris Christie Has a
Message for Anti-Maskers
Dec 17, 2020 2:00 AM CST
Chris Christie Has a Message for Anti-Maskers
Don't be on the wrong side of history, he urges in new ad
- "This message isn't for everyone. It's for all those people who refuse to wear a mask." So says Chris Christie in a new national ad in which he says such people risk ending up on "the wrong side of history." Christie once again acknowledges...
Oregon to Mask-Dissing Doc:
Your License, Please
Dec 6, 2020 6:39 AM CST
Oregon to Mask-Dissing Doc: Your License, Please
'None of us—once—wore a mask in my clinic'
- Licensed members of the medical community who stand on the steps of the Oregon State Capitol and make statements that contradict the Centers for Disease Control may soon find themselves unlicensed. Such is the case of Dr. Steven LaTulippe, reports the
Salem Statesman Journal ,
who publicly dismissed COVID-19 as a...
'I Don't Know It': Mom With
Dementia Plays Beethoven
Nov 15, 2020 1:30 PM CST
'I Don't Know It': Mom With Dementia Plays Beethoven
For Elaine Lebar, 92, 'life makes sense' at the piano
- Elaine Lebar may have dementia, but she still knows her way around a keyboard—and hasn't forgotten the third movement of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata," TMZ reports. A video of the 92-year-old playing the piece recently became a hit on TikTok. "I don't know it,...
Paul Rudd, Who Is Totally a
Millennial, Says: Mask Up
Sep 16, 2020 3:30 AM CDT
Paul Rudd, Who Is Totally a Millennial, Says: Mask Up
Oh wait, he's 51
- Paul Rudd, who still looks essentially the same as he did in
, must be a millennial ... right? And as such, he is completely qualified to address his generation. Which is why New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo asked the actor to issue a PSA about mask-wearing amid the coronavirus pandemic....
Won't Wear Mask,
Flight Ends Up Canceled
Sep 10, 2020 12:52 AM CDT
19-Month-Old Won't Wear Mask, Flight Ends Up Canceled
WestJet says the issue was actually with her older sister, 3
- A father says he and his family were booted from a flight—which ultimately ended up canceled—because his 19-month-old wouldn't wear a mask. While waiting for the WestJet flight from Calgary to Toronto to take off Tuesday, Safwan Choudhry's older daughter, who is 3, was eating a...
Don't Go Over Well
Sep 9, 2020 7:01 AM CDT
Beloved Olympian's Mask Comments Don't Go Over Well
Kerri Walsh Jennings called her maskless shopping trip an act of bravery
- Kerri Walsh Jennings wanted to undertake "a little exercise in being brave" amid the coronavirus pandemic, an action in which she could "mindfully & compassionately stand up for my rights & for the freedoms our constitution has granted us all WITHOUT being reckless or putting anyone else in...
Cops Boot Couple Who Wouldn't
Wear Masks Off NYC Ferry
Sep 7, 2020 5:00 AM CDT
Cops Boot Couple Who Wouldn't Wear Masks Off NYC Ferry
Brooklyn husband and wife say they may sue
- A Brooklyn couple refused to wear masks on a New York City ferry Saturday night and ended up kicked off the boat and cited for disorderly conduct. Gothamist has a number of videos of the incident, in which the husband and wife, on their way home after an evening in...
Pelosi's Hair Appointment
Raises a Ruckus
Sep 2, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
Pelosi's Hair Appointment Raises a Ruckus
Speaker got her hair done at a shuttered salon in San Francisco, is photographed maskless
- San Francisco's eSalon has been closed since March, and was only just Tuesday allowed to start accepting one customer at a time, outdoors only, again. Yet, in security footage from Monday afternoon, Nancy Pelosi can be seen inside the salon, maskless and mid-wash and blowout. The salon's owner...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.