Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Comes to DoorDash
Nov 30, 2022 2:25 PM CST
The Bloodletting Comes to DoorDash
More than 1K corporate employees were laid off Wednesday
- DoorDash shares are down more than 60% for the year but saw a bump on Wednesday after the company announced it was axing 1,250 corporate employees as a cost-cutting measure. CNBC reports it had 8,600 such employees at the end of last year; the AP reports the cuts...
Idea Flops: 'I Hate You'
May 19, 2022 7:42 AM CDT
Grubhub's Free-Lunch Idea Flops: 'I Hate You'
Chaos ensues in NYC as restaurants are overwhelmed by thousands of orders
- Turns out "there's no such thing as a free lunch" is sadly accurate after all, at least for thousands of New Yorkers who recently tried to take advantage of a scrumptious-sounding Grubhub promotion. NPR reports that the food delivery service, after finding out via an internal survey that...
These Delivery Crews
Say Workload Is
Dec 15, 2020 1:13 PM CST
These Delivery Crews Say Workload Is Killing Them
Labor protections in South Korea don't cover the drivers
- When co-workers checked the home of Kim Dong-hee after he missed his shift as a courier in Seoul, they found his body. The official cause of death was a heart attack, but colleagues blame his workload. A few days earlier, the 36-year-old had texted one of them, "I am...
Amid COVID and the
Holidays, a 'Profound'
Move by 'Fierce Rivals'
Dec 11, 2020 11:11 AM CST
Amid COVID and the Holidays, a 'Profound' Move by 'Fierce Rivals'
UPS, FedEx are teaming up for a COVID vaccine 'shipathon' during holiday shopping season
- With people hunkered down at home during the pandemic and doing even more of their holiday shopping than usual online, delivery companies like UPS and FedEx are already facing unprecedented shipping demands over the next few weeks. Now, what Axios calls another "heavy lift" has been added to that...
Food Delivery Apps?
'Let Them Burn'
Apr 13, 2020 12:45 PM CDT
Food Delivery Apps? 'Let Them Burn'
'Food & Wine' writer says Grubhub, DoorDash are hurting restaurants with excessive commissions
- Few restaurants remain open for people to frequent during the pandemic, though many eateries continue to offer takeout and delivery options. And tapping into delivery apps like Grubhub, Uber Eats, and DoorDash is an easy way to get meals brought right to your doorstep—though Khushbu Shah would be happier...
in case you missed it
Apr 12, 2020 6:44 AM CDT
Instacart Workers 'Flabbergasted' at Tips Bait-and-Switch
Customers woo Instacart shoppers with big gratuities, lower them after delivery
- Instacart is an invaluable service for those who don't want to venture out during the coronavirus pandemic to go grocery shopping. As 9to5mac.com details, the free app works like this: A customer places an online order with stores like Whole Foods, Publix, or Costco, after which the app...
Amazon Pulls Plug
on Amazon Shipping
Apr 8, 2020 9:10 AM CDT
Amazon Pulls Plug on Amazon Shipping
Amazon Shipping, competitor to UPS and FedEx, suspended amid coronavirus pandemic
- Because of the coronavirus, Amazon is dealing with so many delivery orders right now that it just decided to rob its own Peter to pay Paul. Sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
that, starting in June, the e-commerce giant will halt Amazon Shipping, a fledgling service available in just a...
How Safe Are
Mar 21, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
How Safe Are Amazon, UPS Deliveries?
Amazon and delivery companies face the coronavirus
- Amazon, UPS, and FedEx are grappling with scary new realities as the coronavirus adds to their workload and affects their business practices. For example, 12 UPS drivers across nine states are saying the company doesn't protect them. They tell NBC News that UPS hasn't given drivers protective gear...
Video Shows Amazon Driver
Stealing UPS Package at Home
Jan 1, 2020 1:10 PM CST
Video Shows Amazon Driver Stealing UPS Package at Home
Two were delivered and one was taken
- An Amazon delivery driver stole a package that was delivered earlier by UPS at a Pennsylvania home, police said. A woman in Wilkes-Barre reported a package being stolen from her home Monday, the AP reports. Surveillance footage showed a UPS driver dropping off a package at the house. Later that...
Amazon to Its Workers:
Quit and We'll Give You $10K
May 13, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Amazon to Its Workers: Quit and We'll Give You $10K
That money would be to start a business delivering packages for Amazon
- Amazon is racing to deliver packages faster, and it's is turning to its employees with a proposition: Quit your job and we'll help you start a business delivering Amazon packages. The offer, announced Monday, comes as Amazon seeks to speed up its shipping time from two days to...
Your Amazon Order
May Soon Arrive in This
Jan 24, 2019 1:11 PM CST
Your Amazon Order May Soon Arrive in This
Six 'cooler-sized' Scout vehicles undergoing test in Washington state
- With drone delivery still a ways off , enter Amazon's self-driving delivery robot. Amazon Scout is a "cooler-sized" electric vehicle on six wheels, intended to deliver Amazon packages along a delivery route, reports the
. A promotional video shows Scout cruising down a sidewalk, stopping in front of...
Amazon Just Made a Big Move
That Might Worry CVS
Jun 28, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
Amazon Just Made a Big Move That Might Worry CVS
Jeff Bezos is buying PillPack, an online pharmacy that dispenses prescription drugs
- There's a reason shares of CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid were tumbling Thursday, and it can be summed up in one word: Amazon. The retailing behemoth made its first significant move into the pharmacy business by buying PillPack, an online company that ships medications to customers' homes, reports the...
Amazon Rolls Out
Delivery Van Program
Jun 28, 2018 2:49 AM CDT
Amazon Rolls Out Delivery Van Program
Company wants entrepreneurs to take over from UPS
- Amazon packages, which usually show up in a UPS truck, an unmarked vehicle, or in the hands of a mail carrier, may soon be delivered from an Amazon van. The online retailer, wanting more control over how its packages are delivered, is rolling out a program Thursday that lets entrepreneurs...
KFC Suffers Mass Closures
Over Lack of Chicken
Feb 19, 2018 10:30 AM CST
KFC Suffers Mass Closures Over Lack of Chicken
Some 600 of its 900 UK locations were closed Monday
- The chicken has crossed the road, "just not to our restaurants," explains KFC UK in a tweet addressing its weird problem: no chicken.
reports about 900 of the chain's roughly 21,500 locations are in the UK, and only 300 of them were open Monday...
Amazon Going for
Grocery Rivals' Jugulars
Feb 8, 2018 9:32 AM CST
Amazon Going for Grocery Rivals' Jugulars
It now offers 2-hour grocery delivery in 4 markets
- If traditional grocers aren't intimidated by Amazon's no-checkout grocery store , they might be by the company's latest venture in the world of food. Amazon Prime subscribers in Dallas, Cincinnati, Virginia Beach, and Austin, Texas, can now buy Whole Foods groceries online and have them delivered in two...
'Porch Pirates' Don't
Always Leave With
Dec 22, 2017 1:02 PM CST
'Porch Pirates' Don't Always Leave With Holiday Gifts
It's a big problem, but some homeowners are fighting back
- In the weeks leading up to the holidays, the UPS and Amazon trucks are out in full force—and so are "porch pirates" who steal deliveries from people's mailboxes and porches. But in Utah, one thief went too far and swiped something critical: a three-month supply of a...
Are Amazon's 'Last Mile' Drivers
Nov 17, 2017 4:18 PM CST
Are Amazon's 'Last Mile' Drivers 'Utterly Expendable'?
Gizmodo says contracted workers aren't exactly living the dream that job ads push
- Amazon has an open secret that few pay heed to: a "nearly invisible workforce" that works to get consumers their packages on demand, per Gizmodo . Bryan Menegus dives into the company's Flex program, responsible for the firm's "last-mile" service, which involves getting ordered goods to a...
Pizza Delivery Arrives
at Space Station
Nov 14, 2017 10:10 AM CST
Pizza Delivery Arrives at Space Station
Astronauts' diet gets a little upgrade
- Astronauts got a mouthwatering haul with Tuesday's Earth-to-space delivery—pizza and ice cream —when a commercial supply ship arrived at the International Space Station two days after launching from Virginia. Besides NASA equipment and experiments, the Orbital ATK capsule holds chocolate and vanilla ice cream for the six...
Nov 6, 2017 2:01 PM CST
CVS Takes 'Preemptive Strike' Against Amazon
It will offer same-day, next-day drug delivery
- CVS customers will soon be able to get their prescriptions, along with other merchandise, delivered for free the next day—or even the same day in some cities. The move, announced Monday, will start in 2018, and
reports it's likely a "preemptive strike" at Amazon, which...
Brave New World of
Home Deliveries Has Arrived
Oct 25, 2017 1:43 PM CDT
Brave New World of Home Deliveries Has Arrived
Amazon rolls out 'Key' service, allowing strangers to enter your home
- Amazon has been working on ideas about how to foil "porch pirates," and on Wednesday it unveiled a service to do just that—by removing the porch from the equation. The only catch is customers will have to be OK with giving a delivery person access to their...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
All Nantucket Beaches Are Now Topless Beaches
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.