Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Say Adieu to the Plane
That 'Shrunk the Globe'
Jan 31, 2023 12:39 PM CST
Say Adieu to the Plane That 'Shrunk the Globe'
Boeing has made its last 747, though the plane could fly for decades more
- The last Boeing 747 is about to roll off the lot. No. 1,574, made for cargo operator Atlas Air, will be handed over in a live webcast ceremony at 4pm ET Tuesday, marking the end of an era in aviation, per CNN . When Boeing 747 test flights began in...
Worker Sucked Into Jet Engine
Told Not to Go Near It Twice
Jan 25, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Worker Sucked Into Jet Engine Told Not to Go Near It Twice
The NTSB releases a preliminary report on the Dec. 31 accident
- The American Airlines ground crew worker who died at Montgomery Regional Airport in Alabama when she was "ingested into the engine" of a parked plane had received multiple warnings about getting too close to running engines, the National Transportation Safety Board said in a preliminary report on the Dec....
These Wasps Love Planes,
Could Bring Them Down
Dec 10, 2022 10:00 AM CST
These Wasps Love Planes, Could Bring Them Down
Airports employing insecticide, Pitot tube covers to deter keyhole wasp nests
- There are numerous examples of birds colliding with planes in incidents that prove deadly for human passengers, hence why airports use various methods to deter fowl. Now, several airports are working to deter a smaller, airborne pest that also proves a deadly threat: wasps. As the
Wall Street Journal
3 Nations Team Up
on 'Ambitious' Fighter Jet
Dec 9, 2022 9:06 AM CST
3 Nations Team Up on 'Ambitious' Fighter Jet
UK, Japan, Italy will develop 6th-generation GCAP warplane
- A new warplane is in the works, and Britain, Italy, and Japan are the countries behind it. CNN reports that development will soon be underway on a sixth-generation fighter jet under the Global Combat Air Program (GCAP), an "ambitious endeavor" to fend off increasing "threats and aggression,"...
Pentagon Intros Secret New
Bomber: 'Won't Really See It'
Dec 2, 2022 4:15 PM CST
Pentagon Intros Secret New Bomber: 'Won't Really See It'
B-21 Raider is first US stealth warplane of its kind in more than 30 years, meant to combat China
- America's newest nuclear stealth bomber is making its public debut after years of secret development and as part of the Pentagon's answer to rising concerns over a future conflict with China. The B-21 Raider is the first new American bomber aircraft in more than 30 years, per the...
On a Clear Morning,
2 Small Planes Collide in Midair
Sep 18, 2022 5:32 AM CDT
On a Clear Morning, 2 Small Planes Collide in Midair
3 people died in the crash near Denver
- Two small airplanes collided in midair near Denver on Saturday, killing three people, authorities said. It wasn't known what might have caused the crash between the four-seater Cessna 172 and the Sonex Xenos, a light, aluminum, homebuilt aircraft that can seat two. Nearby residents who heard the crash and...
Pilot Who Threatened
to Crash Into Walmart Lands
Sep 3, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
Pilot Who Threatened to Crash Into Walmart Lands
Mississippi officials report no injuries and say suspect is in custody
This file has been updated with the plane landing.
A small airplane that circled over a Mississippi city for hours on Saturday morning while the pilot threatened to crash the aircraft into a Walmart store has landed safely in a field, the FAA reported. Gov. Tate Reeves tweeted that...
For Plane Headed to Vacation
Island, an Alarming Trip
Jul 5, 2022 1:19 PM CDT
For Plane Headed to Vacation Island, an Alarming Trip
EasyJet flight headed to Spain's Menorca gets fighter jet escort after bomb hoax
- A flight to a Spanish vacation destination turned a bit frightening for the passengers on board when a fighter jet showed up as an escort, due to a bomb threat that turned out to be a hoax. An EasyJet plane out of London on Sunday left Gatwick Airport around 1pm...
His Lifesaving Landing
May 16, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Passenger Explains His Lifesaving Landing
'I knew if I didn't react, that we would die,' Darren Harrison tells 'Today' show
- It was an incredible story: A passenger with zero flying experience safely landed the small plane he was in after the pilot had a medical emergency. Now, 39-year-old Darren Harrison tells
about the experience, and how he managed to stay calm. "It was a life or death situation,...
Miracle in Florida: 'I Have
No Idea How to Fly the Airplane'
May 11, 2022 6:53 AM CDT
Miracle in Florida: 'I Have No Idea How to Fly the Airplane'
Man with no piloting experience safely lands Cessna after pilot is incapacitated
- A man got a crash course in flying an airplane this week, luckily minus the crashing. A passenger in a single-engine Cessna 208 was forced to land the plane at Palm Beach International Airport on Tuesday afternoon after the pilot had an apparent medical emergency on the way back from...
Passenger Jet Turns Back
Over Pilot's Certification
May 5, 2022 11:22 AM CDT
Passenger Jet Turns Back Over Pilot's Certification
Virgin Atlantic co-pilot hadn't taken his final assessment flight with the airline
- As far as reasons go for a passenger jet having to turn around midflight, it's a weird one. A Virgin Atlantic flight returned to UK's Heathrow Airport after 40 minutes because the co-pilot technically wasn't qualified to fly, reports the BBC . It may sound worse than it...
They Tried to Swap Planes
Midair. It Didn't Quite Work
Apr 25, 2022 8:13 AM CDT
They Tried to Swap Planes Midair. It Didn't Quite Work
FAA probing Sunday stunt in Arizona, which led to one plane crashing; both pilots are OK
The Federal Aviation Administration has launched a probe into a failed stunt in the sky. Cousins Luke Aikins and Andy Farrington, daredevil Red Bull skydivers who'd hoped to swap Cessna single-seat airplanes in midair, didn't see their feat go as planned on Sunday: One of the pilots...
Mar 23, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
Miley Cyrus' Plane Hit by Lightning
She cancels appearance at Paraguay festival
- Miley Cyrus won't be performing at Paraguay's Asuncionico festival, but with good reason. The singer tweeted that her plane was hit by lightning while heading to that fest. "Our plane was caught in a major unexpected storm and struck by lighting," she wrote . "My crew,...
Companies That Leased Planes
to Russia May Lose Them
Mar 16, 2022 6:09 PM CDT
Companies That Leased Planes to Russia May Lose Them
With Putin moving to keep the aircraft, repossession company isn't sure it can help
- Even before Vladimir Putin changed the law to block them, Western companies that own aircraft leased to Russian airlines were coming to the conclusion that they've seen the last of those planes. More than 500 foreign-owned planes are in Russia, worth as much as $12 billion, experts told the...
Have a Most Persistent
Teen on Their Tails
Mar 1, 2022 12:24 PM CST
Russian Oligarchs Have a Most Persistent Teen on Their Tails
Jack Sweeney, who's been tracking Elon Musk's private jet, is also keeping tabs on Russia's richest
- The teen who irked Elon Musk for tracking his private jet now has a new lineup of aircraft he's shadowing. The Hill reports that 19-year-old college freshman Jack Sweeney has set up the Russian Oligarch Jets Twitter account , in response to multiple requests to track the planes of Russia'...
Guy Who Jumped Out of
Plane at LAX Hears His Fate
Jan 27, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Guy Who Jumped Out of Plane at LAX Hears His Fate
Mexican national Luis Armando Victoria Dominguez will see 18 months behind bars in federal prison
A Mexican national who jumped out of a plane at Los Angeles International Airport last summer has found out the consequences of his actions. KTLA reports that a judge on Wednesday sentenced Luis Armando Victoria Dominguez, 34, to 18 months in federal prison for the incident in June, in...
Stowaway Found on Plane May
Have Been in Air for 11 Hours
Jan 24, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Stowaway Found on Plane May Have Been in Air for 11 Hours
Man discovered in Amsterdam survived flight that originated in South Africa
- A cargo flight that originated in South Africa had a surprise waiting on board when it finally landed in Amsterdam: a guy hidden in the plane's wheel section, still alive after what may have been 11 hours in the air, per ABC News . "The man was found alive...
Passengers in NC Plane
Landing Got a Wild Ride
Jan 22, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
No injuries after Delta Air Lines flight skidded off runway in snow, rolled right into mud
- States in the South have been hit with some extreme winter weather of late, and the snow coming down Friday evening in North Carolina led to a scary incident for one plane arriving at Raleigh-Durham International Airport. Per NBC News , Delta Air Lines Flight 5501 had just safely touched down...
A Flight Landed Safely in
Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Aug 24, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
A Flight Landed Safely in Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Passenger's cellphone caught on fire on tarmac at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Passengers usually breathe a sigh of relief once their plane touches down on the runway. For an Alaska Airlines flight arriving in Seattle this week, however, an incident
the aircraft had landed triggered an evacuation: a fire in the cargo hold that officials say was caused by a passenger'...
United Airlines Just Made
a Huge Bet on Travel
Jun 29, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
United Airlines Just Made a Huge Bet on Travel
Company orders 270 new planes, most in its history
- Air travel is back. Just ask United Airlines. The company has placed the biggest jet order in its history, and the biggest for any US airline since 2011. The purchase of 270 new single-aisle planes from Boeing and Airbus has a two-fold purpose: to replace some aging aircraft as well...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, a Hefty Fine
CEO Sorry for 'All Time Classic Bad' Layoff Memo
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.