Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Docs Fall Sick
Nov 24, 2021 11:09 AM CST
After Anti-Vax Summit, 7 Docs Fall Sick
One claimed he'd been taking ivermectin and 'never felt healthier'
- At an anti-vaccine summit in Florida, where alternative treatments for COVID-19 were discussed, a 71-year-old cardiologist stood up and criticized his 97-year-old father for getting vaccinated. "He had been brainwashed" and "didn't tell me," Dr. Bruce Boros told attendees on Nov. 6, per the
Doctor Against Vax Mandates
Has Her Privileges Yanked
Nov 15, 2021 8:52 AM CST
Doctor Against Vax Mandates Has Her Privileges Yanked
Houston Methodist says Dr. Mary Bowden has spread 'dangerous misinformation' on COVID
- A Texas hospital has suspended the privileges of one of its doctors for airing her "dangerous" views on the coronavirus vaccine. Per KTRK , Houston Methodist announced Friday evening it had yanked privileges for ear, nose, and throat specialist Dr. Mary Bowden, who the hospital says had been "using...
Oct 28, 2021 4:31 PM CDT
Doctor Sleeps Through Surgery
Boston surgeon ate in his car, then nodded off
- A wait for a doctor can be long, but it was especially painful for a patient needing emergency ankle surgery at Boston Medical Center. The patient had been taken into an operating room by two doctors, one of whom then said he had to eat first. He left, went to...
Lack of Doctors, Supplies
Plagues Quake-Struck Haiti
Aug 16, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Lack of Doctors, Supplies Plagues Quake-Struck Haiti
'Basically, they need everything,' one doctor says of hospitals in Les Cayes, near where quake hit
- As the death toll continues to climb after a 7.2 magnitude earthquake slammed Haiti over the weekend, killing at least 1,300 and injuring thousands, one dire issue is quickly emerging: the lack of sufficient medical care. Per the
New York Times
, the nation already had a dearth of...
In Sperm Donor
Jul 31, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
In Sperm Donor 'Case Without Precedent,' a $10.7M Deal
Fertility doc accused of impregnating women with his own sperm agrees to settlement
- A Canadian fertility doctor who lost his medical license in 2019 after being accused of impregnating multiple women with the wrong sperm—sometimes his own—has now agreed to fork over millions in a "groundbreaking" settlement. The
reports that the $10.7 million offer from Norman Barwin...
Major Medical Groups Just
Issued a Big Call on Vaccines
Jul 26, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Major Medical Groups Just Issued a Big Call on Vaccines
AMA, dozens of others say health care workers should be required to get vaccinations
- As pushback continues against requiring coronavirus vaccines on cruise ships , in the NF L, and on college campuses , there's a new lobby for mandatory vaccination. The
and CNN report that 50-plus medical groups representing millions of health care professionals released a statement Monday calling for health care...
Doctor Who Died
of COVID Leaves
Behind 'Paper Babies'
May 21, 2021 11:06 AM CDT
Doctor Who Died of COVID Leaves Behind 'Paper Babies' Worth $20M
Thomas Newman's sports card and memorabilia collection is set to go to auction
- During his life, neurologist Thomas Newman enjoyed playing golf, spending time with his family, and acquiring some of the rarest and most valuable sports cards on Earth. Sadly, the doctor from Tampa, Fla., died of COVID in January at the age of 73, his wife, Nancy, tells CNN , but he...
Goes On as
Apr 2, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Heart Surgery Goes On as Hospital Burns
Russian doctors, nurses finish bypass before evacuating
- When a blaze broke out Friday on the wooden roof of an ancient hospital in a remote Russian city, firefighters went to work on it. Officials said 128 people were evacuated, including 60 patients. But on the ground floor, a team of eight doctors and nurses carried on with heart...
'No Physician Is Racist'
Tweet Doesn't Go Over Well
Mar 26, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
'No Physician Is Racist' Tweet Doesn't Go Over Well
JAMA medical journal's editor has been suspended amid investigation
- The top editor at the
Journal of the American Medical Association
has been sidelined amid outcry from Black physicians over a tweet and podcast on racism, per the AP . "No physician is racist, so how can there be structural racism in health care?” the tweet read in part, promoting...
ICU Doctor Back Home
After Year Living in Driveway
Mar 23, 2021 8:34 AM CDT
ICU Doctor Back Home After Year Living in Driveway
Dr. Tiffany Osborn credits the coronavirus vaccine
- A St. Louis doctor is finally back living with her family after a year of camping in her driveway. Dr. Tiffany Osborn's family was planning to put an addition on their home when the coronavirus pandemic hit. Instead, they bought an RV that has been Osborn's home for...
Doctors Seem to Pose With
Removed Organ in Online Post
Mar 13, 2021 5:15 PM CST
Doctors Seem to Pose With Removed Organ in Online Post
Michigan hospital chain investigates residents' OR joking
- A hospital system in western Michigan has launched an investigation after photos posted on Instagram appeared to show doctors posing with fibrous tissue and an organ removed during an operation. A patient appears to be on an operating room table in the fibrous tissue photo, WOOD-TV reported Saturday. "Longest...
Cops: Doc Who Killed Austin
Pediatrician Didn't Know Her
Jan 28, 2021 6:51 AM CST
Cops: Doc Who Killed Austin Pediatrician Didn't Know Her
Texas authorities look for clues in apparent murder-suicide that left pediatrician Lindley Dodson dead
- Details continue to emerge out of Texas after what the Austin Police Department deems a murder-suicide involving two doctors who apparently didn't know each other. Per witnesses and police statements, the
reports that Dr. Bharat Narumanchi, 43, showed up at Children's Medical Group on Friday asking...
Stole Vial of
for Personal Use
Jan 22, 2021 7:04 AM CST
DA: Doctor Stole Vial of COVID Vaccine for Personal Use
Texas health officials say Dr. Hasan Gokal gave doses to friends, family
- Plenty of people want to make sure their loved ones get vaccinated against COVID-19, but one Texas doctor may have gone too far. The
Dallas Morning News
reports that 48-year-old Dr. Hasan Gokal is now out of a job and facing criminal charges after he allegedly swiped a vial of...
to Black Doctor's
Jan 1, 2021 12:30 PM CST
Critics: Hospital CEO's Response to Black Doctor's Death 'Ridiculous'
Dennis Murphy cites a 'complex picture' leading to death of Dr. Susan Moore, but others push back
- The head of an Indiana hospital has addressed the allegations of Dr. Susan Moore, a Black medical doctor who died last month from coronavirus complications after accusing a doctor and other hospital staff of being biased in their treatment of her—but his comments have only fueled the controversy. In...
Black Doc Who Complained of
Bias in COVID Treatment Dies
Dec 24, 2020 10:50 AM CST
Black Doc Who Complained of Bias in COVID Treatment Dies
Dr. Susan Moore said she received unequal treatment at Indiana hospital
- A Black doctor who said she was receiving unequal treatment at an Indiana hospital has died from coronavirus complications, weeks after posting a searing video on Facebook . As a medical doctor, Susan Moore knew exactly how to describe the symptoms she was experiencing—but she said a white doctor at...
'First in the Room!
Back of the Line!'
Dec 19, 2020 8:15 AM CST
Doctors Protest Vaccine Plan: 'First in the Room! Back of the Line!'
Stanford medical residents miffed after finding out front-line workers weren't prioritized for COVID shots
- Stanford Health Care has issued an apology after word on how it would distribute its coronavirus vaccine backfired. According to Stanford's vaccine dissemination plan published earlier this week, priority for the shots was to be given to "those who provide direct care and service to patients, those who...
Trump's COVID Accusation
Riles America's Doctors
Oct 31, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Trump's COVID Accusation Riles America's Doctors
President alleged at rally that doctors are inflating coronavirus numbers for personal profit
- A claim made without evidence by President Trump at a Friday rally in Michigan is now receiving pushback from the medical community. Per the Hill , Trump was speaking in Waterford Township when he stated that the coronavirus death count may be inflated for a wallet-packing reason. "Our doctors get...
Young Doctor Is Among
Latest COVID Casualties
Sep 22, 2020 11:43 AM CDT
Young Doctor Is Among Latest COVID Casualties
Adeline Fagan dies in Houston, one of 200K US deaths
- The US has now reached the unwanted milestone of 200,000 COVID deaths , and one of those deaths out of Houston is drawing national attention. Adeline Fagan, a 28-year-old medical doctor, died after battling the coronavirus for about two months, reports the
Fagan was a
Woman Fired for Anti-Semitic
Tweets Gets More Bad News
in case you missed it
Aug 30, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
Woman Fired for Anti-Semitic Tweets Gets More Bad News
Lara Kollab can no longer practice medicine in the state of Ohio
- The Ohio woman who lost her job due to anti-Semitic posts on social media has now lost something else: her medical license. Fox News reports that Lara Kollab, now believed to be in her late 20s, had her training certificate to practice osteopathic medicine and surgery in the state permanently...
NICU Staffers Stay Behind
as Hurricane Laura Strikes
Aug 30, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
NICU Staffers Stay Behind as Hurricane Laura Strikes
'I'm proud of them,' says doctor at Lake Charles Memorial Hospital
- Nineteen babies already have a story to tell—and people to thank. Several NICU staffers stayed behind at a Louisiana hospital this week as Hurricane Laura ripped into the state, CNN reports. Amid howling winds and leaky windows, Dr. Juan Bossano and a group of 14 nurses, 3 respiratory therapists,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2nd Woman Dumped at LA Hospital Dies
Parents of Oxford Suspect Caught After Manhunt
You Know About Foster Care, Maybe Not Its 'Shadow' System
He Stuck Out His Arm to Get Vaxxed. It Was 'Cold and Gummy'
Shellshocked Docs Call Bomb Squad for Man With Ordnance in Rectum
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.