Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Here Are the Best States
for an Off-Grid Life
Oct 27, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best States for an Off-Grid Life
Not New Jersey, per LawnStarter
- Want to get away from it all—like, for good? If the thought of holing up in a cabin in the woods and disconnecting from the world sounds appealing, LawnStarter has been scouting all 50 states to find where off-the-grid living might work best, looking at nearly two dozen metrics...
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
This State Embraces Diversity
More Than Any Other
Sep 21, 2021 11:38 AM CDT
This State Embraces Diversity More Than Any Other
California takes top spot in WalletHub ranking; West Virginia comes in last
- America's history is a unique one, and the result of our national experiment is a "complex tapestry of backgrounds," comprised of people from all different cultures, religions, and socioeconomic and educational statuses, per WalletHub . In fact, the personal finance site notes, by 2045 it's expected there...
Looking for Gender Equality?
Here's Where to Go
Aug 23, 2021 11:39 AM CDT
Looking for Gender Equality? Here's Where to Go
Nevada takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking, while Utah comes in last
- The glass ceiling may have many deep cracks in it, but it hasn't yet been shattered—at least not in terms of the pay gap or women consistently finding equal footing in leadership positions. And the workplace isn't the only arena in which women are still battling gender...
This Is the Best
State to Live In
Jun 15, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
This Is the Best State to Live In
New Jersey tops the list in WalletHub's ranking
- Figuring out where to settle down can be a tough task, especially considering all of the various factors that could influence one's choice. WalletHub examines the gamut, looking at more than four dozen metrics in all 50 states in five main categories: affordability; the economy (including unemployment rates, job...
This Is the Best
State for Millennials
May 25, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Best State for Millennials
Washington offers a warm welcome if you're between the ages of 25 and 40
- Millennials end up in headlines quite a bit , and the latest one offers some guidance on where they might be able to live their best lives. WalletHub examined this demographic— generally defined as those born between 1981 and 1996, making them between 25 and 40 in 2021—and where they'...
The 10 States With the
Biggest Drug Problems
May 11, 2021 4:09 PM CDT
The 10 States With the Biggest Drug Problems
District of Columbia actually fares the worst on WalletHub list
- Drug abuse has only gotten worse with the pandemic, with 87,000 overdose deaths in the 12 months ending in September—representing a 29% increase from October 2019 to September 2020, reports the
New York Times
. Breaking down the states most affected by drug abuse using 21 metrics—including per...
Hate March's 'Spring Forward'?
There's Some Promising News
Mar 10, 2021 10:40 AM CST
Hate March's 'Spring Forward'? There's Some Promising News
15 states hope to make daylight saving time permanent
- If you hate losing an hour of sleep each spring owing to daylight saving time, we have good and bad news. The bad news is that most Americans will still have to move clocks forward one hour at 2am Sunday. The good news is that "momentum for ending the...
Here Are the Best,
Worst States for Women
Mar 1, 2021 10:00 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States for Women
Minnesota comes out on top, Mississippi is at the bottom
- Pay gaps, the minimum wage, the pandemic—all issues that affect women disproportionately, though there are some areas of the US that offer better opportunities for women than others. WalletHub tries to shake those locations out, looking at more than two dozen metrics in two main categories: women's economic...
Here Are the Most,
States in America
Feb 16, 2021 8:38 AM CST
Here Are the Most, Least Educated States in America
Massachusetts comes out on top
- Schooling has been upended during the coronavirus pandemic, but education remains paramount for future opportunities, so WalletHub took a look to see which states offer the best chance at becoming an egghead. The site examined all 50 states across 18 metrics in two main categories: educational attainment, which includes the...
The Greediest, Angriest, Most
Jealous States in America
Feb 15, 2021 10:15 AM CST
The Greediest, Angriest, Most Jealous States in America
WalletHub takes note of our sins and ranks us
- The first day of Lent is Wednesday, and for Christians who follow the observance, it's often a time to give up a bad habit for the six weeks that follow. That may be harder for people in some parts of the country, per WalletHub , which has ranked US states...
Here Are the Best,
Worst States for
Feb 1, 2021 9:05 AM CST
Here Are the Best, Worst States for Finding Love
Singles may want to check out Florida
- Valentine's Day is fast approaching, which means thoughts of love, for better or worse, may be on everyone's mind. Singles still hoping to find their mate may have better luck in some states than in others, and WalletHub has started the matchmaking process by examining the potentials. The...
10 Best States
Jan 25, 2021 1:00 PM CST
10 Best States for Retirement
Florida ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list
- If your golden years are approaching, or if early retirement is in the cards, where to decide to enjoy your post-work life can prove to be a challenge. WalletHub has tried to take some of the guesswork out of the process, examining nearly four dozen metrics in all 50 states,...
These States Are Safest
During the Pandemic
Jan 23, 2021 4:10 PM CST
These States Are Safest During the Pandemic
You'll fare best dealing with COVID in Alaska, worst in Arizona
- As the rollout of the various coronavirus vaccines continues, there's now a (still somewhat distant) light at the end of the pandemic tunnel. But with months to go before much of the population is vaccinated, it's important to keep up with safety and health guidelines, and to keep...
Here Are the 10 Best,
Worst States to Drive In
Jan 19, 2021 11:19 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst States to Drive In
You'll be cruising pretty in Texas, trying to tame your road rage in Hawaii
- There's still not a lot to do these days as we continue our weary march through the pandemic, but at least going for a drive can be a nice escape—unless you're in Hawaii, that is. That's the surprising last-place entry in WalletHub's new ranking of...
Here Are the Most
Giving States in America
Nov 16, 2020 8:21 AM CST
Here Are the Most Giving States in America
People there come together to help others through charity, volunteerism
- Between charitable giving—last year, US donors ponied up nearly $450 billion for charity—and volunteerism, Americans keep opening up their wallets and their schedules to help those who are less fortunate. WalletHub wanted to see which states were especially benevolent, so it examined stats from all 50, looking at...
Don't Like to 'Get Political'?
These States Agree
Oct 13, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
Don't Like to 'Get Political'? These States Agree
WalletHub ranks the least, most politically engaged states
- With just three weeks until Election Day, politics is at the top of many minds, though that may be more so in some states than in others. To see which of the Fifty Nifty boast the highest levels of political engagement, WalletHub crunched all of their numbers along nearly a...
These Are the
Aug 31, 2020 9:19 AM CDT
These Are the Biggest Slacking US States
North Dakota isn't one of them
- Despite massive unemployment right now across the nation, WalletHub finds that Americans work pretty darn hard—whether it's because they want to, have to, or have the perception they have to. To find out which states really roll up their sleeves, the site looked at all 50 states across...
Where to Go
Aug 3, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
Looking for Stellar Health Care? Here's Where to Go
Massachusetts ranks No. 1 in WalletHub state rankings, Georgia brings up the rear
- Health care is often at the top of many Americans' minds, but never has it been so critical as now, as we struggle through the coronavirus pandemic. To see which states have the best handle on health care, WalletHub looked at all 50 of them, plus the District of Columbia,...
This State Needs to Put Its
Credit Cards in the Freezer
Jul 28, 2020 2:49 PM CDT
This State Needs to Put Its Credit Cards in the Freezer
Alaska has the most credit card debt in America
- Many people are struggling with money as the pandemic continues, and resorting to plastic has become even more of a crutch. WalletHub looked at all 50 states and the District of Columbia, using TransUnion credit data to review each state's median credit-card balance and monthly credit-card payment, assuming a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Crazy Homecoming Scandal May Result in Serious Jail Time
Food Prices May Spike Again, Thanks to a New Shortage
Stowaway Endures Over 2-Hour Flight Inside Plane Landing Gear
Fauci Says US Could Face 'Fifth Wave' as Omicron Spreads
Smash and Grab Turns Deadly for Former Officer
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.