Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 23, 2022 7:55 PM CST
Murkowski Beats Trump Candidate
Incumbent was the only Senate Republican on the 2022 ballot who voted guilty in impeachment trial
- Alaska Republican US Sen. Lisa Murkowski has won reelection, defeating Donald Trump-endorsed GOP rival Kelly Tshibaka. Murkowski beat Tshibaka in the Nov. 8 ranked choice election. The results were announced Wednesday, the AP reports, when elections officials tabulated the ranked choice results after neither candidate won more than 50% of...
Cemented a New GOP
Aug 17, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Tuesday's Primaries Cemented a New GOP
Cheney vows to continue fighting 'against those who would destroy our republic'
- Liz Cheney knew she was fighting a losing battle. Had she cozied up to Donald Trump, she might have easily won her Wyoming primary on Tuesday instead of losing handily (she had 29% support to Harriet Hageman's 66%, with 99% of expected votes counted, per the
Murkowski and Palin
Advance in Alaska Primary
Aug 17, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
Murkowski and Palin Advance in Alaska Primary
This year marks the state's first use of ranked-choice voting
- Alaska Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski advanced from her primary along with Kelly Tshibaka, her GOP rival endorsed by former President Trump, while another Trump-backed Republican, Sarah Palin, was among the candidates bound for the November general election in the race for Alaska's only House seat. Per the AP , Murkowski...
3 Big Names
on Ballot, Plus
One That Isn't
Aug 16, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Primary Day: 3 Big Names on Ballot, Plus One That Isn't
Liz Cheney, Sarah Palin, and Lisa Murkowski fight to move on, all with fates tied to Donald Trump
- Pretty much all the focus in Tuesday's primary schedule is on three high-profile names—Liz Cheney, Lisa Murkowski, and Sarah Palin—all of whom have a strong connection to former President Trump. Here's the latest on the contests out of Wyoming and Alaska:
The sentiment about the
Aug 15, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
On Primary Eve, Different Outlooks for Cheney, Murkowski
Both GOPers have been strong Trump critics, but Murkowski's prospects look better than Cheney's
- They hail from their states' most prominent Republican families. They've been among the GOP's sharpest critics of former President Trump. And after the Jan. 6 insurrection, they supported his impeachment. But for all their similarities, the political fortunes of US Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and US Rep....
Murkowski Has COVID, Too
Jul 26, 2022 12:31 AM CDT
Murkowski Has COVID, Too
Senator announces her diagnosis shortly after her Democrat colleague
- Lisa Murkowski said Monday that she recently tested positive for COVID-19. The US senator from Alaska made the announcement on social media, the AP reports. In the brief statement, the Republican said she recently tested positive after experiencing flu-like symptoms. The statement did not specify the timing of the test....
Murkowski: Leak 'Rocks
My Confidence in the Court'
May 3, 2022 8:32 PM CDT
Murkowski: Leak 'Rocks My Confidence in the Court'
Collins, Murkowski speak out on leaked SCOTUS abortion opinion
- The stunning leak of a draft Supreme Court opinion overturning Roe v. Wade has shocked and dismayed abortion rights supporters nationwide—including at least two Republican senators. Sens. Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski both supported the nominations of Supreme Court justices who voted to strike down the 1973 decision in...
'Immediate Action' Called for
on Alaska Soldier Suicides
Apr 14, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
'Immediate Action' Called for on Alaska Soldier Suicides
Lawmakers are alarmed by 17 deaths, confirmed or suspected to be suicides, reported in 2021
- A bipartisan group of lawmakers is asking the US Army to take "immediate action" to address a suicide crisis in Alaska that they say claimed the lives of 17 soldiers last year. There were seven soldier suicides in Alaska in 2020 and eight in 2019, per the
Feb 6, 2022 2:00 PM CST
Manchin Fine-Tunes His Labeling
Senator endorses GOP colleague Lisa Murkowski in her primary
- A frequent irritant to President Biden and much of the Democratic Party for not supporting their legislation, Sen. Joe Manchin took a shot Sunday at explaining where the misunderstanding might be. "I'm not a Washington Democrat, I'm a good old West Virginia Democrat, who likes all my...
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema
Nov 20, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema Over 'Sexist'
Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Jeanne Shaheen slam paper for focusing on Ariz. senator's clothes
- Kyrsten Sinema has become known for her "penchant for patterns and bold colors" in a Senate chamber that's "still largely buttoned up," as the Hill puts it. That's a problem, though—not the Arizona senator's choice of clothing, but the plethora of headlines about...
On Senator's Side, GOP Brass.
In Challenger's Corner, Trump
Nov 13, 2021 6:00 AM CST
On Senator's Side, GOP Brass. In Challenger's Corner, Trump
Alaska's Murkowski launches 2022 reelection campaign, with Trump endorsee Tshibaka looming
- Only one of seven Republican senators who found Donald Trump guilty in his second impeachment trial is up for reelection in 2022, and she's now officially made her bid, with a challenger who's been endorsed by the former president. Lisa Murkowski filed on Friday to run for her...
Threatened to Have
Oct 6, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Charges: Alaskan Threatened to Have Murkowski Killed
Voice messages were left at 2 senators' offices, FBI says
- An Alaska man faces federal charges after authorities allege he threatened to hire an assassin to kill US Sen. Lisa Murkowski, according to court documents unsealed Wednesday. In a separate threat left in a voice message at Murkowski’s Washington, D.C., office, the AP reports, the caller asked if...
Palin: I'll Run For Senate
If God Wants Me To
Aug 1, 2021 3:20 PM CDT
Palin: I'll Run For Senate If God Wants Me To
The former VP candidate and governor was speaking at a Christian conference
- Lisa Murkowski, one of two Republican senators in Alaska, is facing some primary challengers after coming out in favor of impeaching the previous president. Murkowski has been in office since succeeding her father in 2002 and would be up for re-election next year. Kelly Tshibaka announced her campaign months ago,...
Lifts Gupta to
Apr 21, 2021 4:08 PM CDT
Murkowski's Vote Lifts Gupta to Confirmation
Nominee to be associate attorney general faced broad GOP opposition
- Senate Republicans were nearly united in their opposition to making Vanita Gupta the No. 3 official in the Justice Department. Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday that Gupta has "a record of astoundingly radical positions." Democrats said she was the victim of a smear campaign and was endorsed...
Alaska GOP Makes
Big Move Against Murkowski
Mar 16, 2021 3:06 PM CDT
Alaska GOP Makes Big Move Against Murkowski
They say they don't want her to run as a Republican in next year's election
- The Alaska Republican Party previously censured Sen. Lisa Murkowski for voting to convict former President Trump after his impeachment trial and now doesn't want her to identity as a GOP candidate in next year’s election, a member of the party’s State Central Committee said Tuesday. "The...
Republicans Back Home
Don't Take 7 Votes Well
Feb 14, 2021 1:45 PM CST
Republicans Back Home Don't Take 7 Votes Well
Louisiana GOP censures Cassidy
- Republican senators who voted to convict former President Trump in his impeachment trial are hearing about it from party officials back home. Sen. Bill Cassidy was promptly censured by Louisiana party leaders, the Hill reports. The state party condemned Cassidy's vote in a tweet , adding, "Fortunately, clearer heads...
Murkowski: No, I'm
Not Switching Parties
Jan 22, 2021 3:40 PM CST
Murkowski: No, I'm Not Switching Parties
Alaskan senator didn't vote for Trump but says a Democrat is 'not who I am'
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski didn't vote for Donald Trump in November, and she doesn't always agree with what goes on in the Republican Party. But she still won't switch sides. "I can't be somebody that I'm not," she told reporters Friday. If she'd...
Jan 9, 2021 7:30 AM CST
Murkowski: Trump Should Resign, 'Has Caused Enough Damage'
She's first Republican senator to issue that call
- In the wake of the deadly violence in DC this week at the hand of Trump supporters, after being incited by the president himself, the first Senate Republican has issued a call for him to step down, per CNN . "I want him to resign. I want him out,"...
Oct 24, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Murkowski: I've Decided About My Barrett Vote
The Alaska Republican explains her rationale
- Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett won crucial backing Saturday when one of the last Republican holdouts announced her support for President Trump's pick ahead of a confirmation vote expected Monday, the AP reports. Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, said during Saturday's session that while she opposed her party'...
Murkowski: 'My Position Has
Not Changed' on Court Vacancy
Sep 20, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
Murkowski: 'My Position Has Not Changed' on Court Vacancy
The Alaska Republican opposes drive to fill Ginsburg's seat before Nov. 3
- First, Sen. Susan Collins . Now Sen. Lisa Murkowski says she's also against filling the Supreme Court vacancy before the election—a hotbutton issue that has America's political temperature in the red, the
New York Times
reports. "For weeks, I have stated that I would not support taking...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.