Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Guard at College Turned Away
Gunman Before Store Shooting
Aug 27, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Guard at College Turned Away Gunman Before Store Shooting
Florida officials decry hateful rhetoric as DeSantis denounces slayings
- Before a white gunman opened fire Saturday at a Dollar General store in Florida, killing three Black people, he tried to go on campus at a historically Black college nearby. A security officer turned the man away when he refused to identify himself, Edward Waters University said in a statement....
May 9, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Oregon Mountain Finally Ditches Contentious Name
Swastika Mountain is now known as Mount Halo, in honor of a former tribal leader
- The controversy over a remote Oregon mountain's name is now over. NPR reports that the erstwhile Swastika Mountain, located in western Oregon's Umpqua National Forest, officially got the OK last month from the US Board on Geographic Names to swap out its controversial moniker for a more palatable...
He Was Arrested,
Then Found a
Swastika in His Car
Mar 22, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
He Was Arrested, Then Found a Swastika in His Car
City of Torrance to pay California man $750K after he claims 2 cops spray-painted his vehicle
- A California man just got a rather large payout to settle a lawsuit over offensive graffiti he says two former police officers spray-painted inside his car. The
Los Angeles Times
reports that Kiley Swaine was granted $750,000 from the city of Torrance, where he was arrested for mail theft...
Takes Heat for
Crossword Puzzle's Shape
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 24, 2022 4:00 PM CST
Takes Heat for Crossword Puzzle's Shape
Many people said Sunday's game resembled a swastika, and right before first night of Hanukkah
- When Caitlin Lovinger analyzed Sunday's crossword puzzle for the
New York Times
, the 23rd for the newspaper by data analytics consulting manager Ryan McCarty, she gushed over its puns and jokes, as well as its shape. "I love the geometry in this puzzle—so many stair steps!"...
Jan 28, 2022 4:47 PM CST
After Holocaust Remembrance, Swastikas
Nazi symbols appear on Union Station, near US Capitol
- Swastikas were found to have defaced the exterior of Washington's Union Station on Friday, less than a mile from the nation's Capitol. "Sickening. Yesterday was Holocaust Remembrance Day," Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez tweeted . President Biden had used the occasion to caution against a "resurgence of...
Teen's Alleged Journal Entry:
'I Set a Synagogue on Fire'
Nov 16, 2021 11:13 AM CST
Teen's Alleged Journal Entry: 'I Set a Synagogue on Fire'
Authorities say Franklin Barrett Sechriest, 18, was found with Nazi propaganda
- A Texas teenager set fire to an Austin synagogue before confessing to the act in a journal that included racial slurs, authorities say. Texas State University student Franklin Barrett Sechriest, who resigned as a private in the Texas National Guard earlier this month, was arrested Friday on charges of arson...
Nazi Symbols Appear Outside
Jewish Lawmaker's Office
Nov 16, 2021 7:40 AM CST
Nazi Symbols Appear Outside Jewish Lawmaker's Office
New York protesters were speaking out against vaccine mandates
- Anti-vaccine mandate protesters displayed a swastika and yellow Star of David outside the office of New York state lawmaker Jeffrey Dinowitz, who is Jewish, on Sunday. The protest, organized by Republican gubernatorial candidate Rob Astorino, came after Dinowitz, a Democrat representing part of the Bronx, sponsored a bill in October...
Oct 13, 2021 6:21 PM CDT
Herschel Walker Fundraiser Canceled Over Swastika Post
Senate campaign first argued that wasn't a swastika
- Georgia Republican US Senate candidate Herschel Walker has called off a fundraiser planned in Texas because the host was displaying a swastika made of syringes in her social media profile to protest mandatory COVID-19 vaccination. Walker's campaign said Wednesday that it had canceled the event, which had been scheduled...
Carving of Swastika
at State Department
Jul 27, 2021 4:07 PM CDT
Blinken Denounces Carving of Swastika at State Department
Etching occurred inside the building's security perimeter
- A swastika carved into an elevator car has been discovered at the State Department in Washington—in a location within the building's security perimeter. The elevator is close to the office of the special envoy charged with monitoring and opposing anti-semitism, Axios reports. Secretary of State Antony Blinken emailed...
to Keep the
Sep 23, 2020 5:10 PM CDT
Town Votes on Whether to Keep the Name of 'Swastika'
A visiting cyclist called it 'profoundly ... disrespectful'
- Officials had a big decision to make: keep the name of Swastika, NY, or change it? The issue arose after a New Yorker spotted the town while cycling and urged them to find a name that didn't evoke the Nazi invasion of Europe, World War II, and the Holocaust,...
Walmart Bans Couple
Who Wore Swastika Masks
Jul 27, 2020 3:18 AM CDT
Walmart Bans Couple Who Wore Swastika Masks
They were reportedly protesting mask mandate, Joe Biden
- A couple who flaunted their swastika masks at a Minnesota Walmart has been banned from Walmarts across the US for at least a year, BuzzFeed News reports. A video of the couple taken Saturday was posted to Facebook, where it went viral (you can watch it here , but be warned...
Jul 10, 2020 9:49 AM CDT
Outrage Over Retailer's $2.50 Swastika Pendant
Consumers outraged by sale of casual prayer mats, swastika pendant
- On Monday, budget fashion retailer Shein apologized for selling Muslim prayer mats as decorative carpets. On Thursday, it apologized for selling a "swastika pendant necklace" for $2.50. The advocacy group Stop Antisemitism called attention to the gold-colored necklace in a social media post. "It represents the mass...
Armed Activists Take
Black Lawmaker to Work
May 9, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Armed Activists Take Black Lawmaker to Work
Rep. Sarah Anthony says she 'was pleased to receive the type of support'
- Talk about an escort: Armed black activists walked a black lawmaker to work Wednesday in Michigan, the
reports. Rep. Sarah Anthony (D-Lansing) was accompanied by six people—some of them armed, one Hispanic—on her trip to the state Capitol building. "Being a black and brown female Democrat...
Filled With 'the
sunday talk shows
May 3, 2020 2:55 PM CDT
Michigan Gov.: Protests Were Filled With 'the Worst Racism'
Democrat Gretchen Whitmer makes her case on CNN
- Michigan’s governor says gun-carrying protesters who demonstrated inside her state’s Capitol "depicted some of the worst racism" and "awful parts" of US history, the AP reports. Democrat Gretchen Whitmer tells CNN that the protests featured "Confederate Flags, and nooses," as well as swastikas. Members...
'Goebbels Would Approve':
German Ride Looks Like This
Aug 21, 2019 6:50 PM CDT
'Goebbels Would Approve': German Ride Looks Like This
Eagle's Flight was shut down by park management
- A ride at a German theme park was scuttled this week over objections it resembled flying swastikas, the
New York Times
reports. Called Eagle's Flight, the attraction had two sets of four cars, each joined at right angles, which some said resembled the infamous Nazi symbol. "First of...
Man With Giant Swastika
in His Yard: 'Get Over It'
Jun 7, 2019 2:05 PM CDT
Man With Giant Swastika in His Yard: 'Get Over It'
California's Steve Johnson says he thinks landscaping design looks 'cool'
- Steven Johnson doesn't see what the big deal is with what he used to replace the weeds in his yard in California's El Sobrante, but he does concede that "a few people don't like it." What Johnson's neighbors and other locals are perturbed about,...
Drowning Man With Swastika
Tattoo Saved by Jewish Teens
May 28, 2019 4:44 AM CDT
Drowning Man With Swastika Tattoo Saved by Jewish Teens
'Their good deed had a little bit of a twist to it'
- Four Jewish high school students in Boston say they didn't see a man's swastika tattoo before they saved his life—but they would have rescued him anyway. The students at an Orthodox Yeshiva high school in the Brighton neighborhood spotted the man floating in the Chestnut Hill Reservoir...
'This Stuff Has to Stop'
May 4, 2019 4:42 PM CDT
Harley-Davidson Workers: 'This Stuff Has to Stop'
Employees say they've had enough of racist harassment
- Minority employees at Harley-Davidson's plant in Kansas City have been subjected to years of harassment and discrimination—including having swastikas and nooses posted in the plant, frequent racial epithets and at least one assault, several employees said at a news conference organized by the NAACP-Kansas City on Friday. "...
Pictured at Party
Giving Nazi Salute
Mar 5, 2019 5:16 PM CST
California Teens Pictured at Party With Swastika, Giving Nazi Salute
Photograph went viral, led to outcry
- A California school district is investigating a social media photograph in which young people are seen giving Nazi salutes while standing around a table on which red cups form a swastika, the AP reports. The Newport-Mesa Unified School District was made aware Sunday of social media postings "involving some...
Graffiti at Prof's Office Was So
Horrible, 'I Almost Passed Out'
Nov 30, 2018 9:05 AM CST
Graffiti at Prof's Office Was So Horrible, 'I Almost Passed Out'
NYPD investigating possible hate crime at Columbia University
- "I opened the outer door and almost passed out." It was then that Columbia University professor Elizabeth Midlarsky saw the two large swastikas spray-painted in red on the walls of her office (photo here ), along with an offensive term for Jewish people. Wednesday's scene was deja...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.