Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trapped in Rubble, Woman
Finally Heard 'I Got You'
Sep 11, 2021 5:05 PM CDT
Trapped in Rubble, Woman Finally Heard 'I Got You'
Genelle Guzman McMillan was the last person rescued from the World Trade Center
- Twenty-seven hours after Tower 1 at the World Trade Center collapsed on Sept. 11, 2001, Genelle Guzman McMillan was about to give up. She was in pain, unable to move in the rubble and, with dust in her mouth and nose, unable to call out for help. "I knew...
A Nation Grieves,
20 Years On
Sep 11, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
A Nation Grieves, 20 Years On
Ex-presidents, Queen Elizabeth, Bruce Springsteen offer tributes on 20th anniversary of Sept. 11
- The 9/11 anniversary commemoration at ground zero began Saturday with a tolling bell and a moment of silence, exactly 20 years after the start of the deadliest terror attack on US soil. The anniversary comes under the pall of a pandemic and in the shadow of the US withdrawal from...
On 9/11's 20th,
'Unity Is Our
Sep 11, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
On 9/11's 20th, Biden's Message: 'Unity Is Our Greatest Strength
President set on Saturday to visit trio of sites where planes crashed on Sept. 11, 2001
- President Biden is making an appeal for the nation to reclaim the spirit of cooperation that sprung up in the days following the 9/11 terror attacks as he commemorates those who died 20 years ago. Biden was a senator when hijackers commandeered four planes and exacted the nation's worst...
20 Years After 9/11,
a Still-Unfinished WTC
Sep 10, 2021 1:41 PM CDT
20 Years After 9/11, a Still-Unfinished WTC
Construction continues on 2 skyscrapers, church, performing arts center at World Trade Center site
- Two decades after its destruction in the Sept. 11 attacks, the work to rebuild the World Trade Center complex remains incomplete. Two planned skyscrapers, a performing arts center, and a church are still unfinished at the site, which plays host Saturday to the annual ceremony honoring nearly 3,000 people...
Insurance Broker Is
First 9/11 Victim
IDed in 2 Years
Sep 8, 2021 9:17 AM CDT
Insurance Broker Is First 9/11 Victim IDed in 2 Years
Dorothy Morgan was working on 94th floor of the WTC's north tower; a man has also been IDed
- Two more victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks have been identified ahead of the 20th anniversary as part of "the largest and most complex forensic investigation in the history of the United States." New York City's Chief Medical Examiner's Office announced Tuesday that two victims have...
Are Now in 9th Year
Sep 8, 2021 1:30 AM CDT
9/11 Mastermind's Pre-Trial Hearings Are Now in 9th Year
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was joined by 4 other defendants for first hearing in 18 months
- Pre-trial hearings in the case against alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other defendants allegedly involved in the 2001 attacks resumed Tuesday for the first time in a year and a half. They were suspended last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The hearings are now in their...
Bobby McIlvaine Died on 9/11.
This Is the Shape Grief Took
Aug 13, 2021 10:08 AM CDT
Bobby McIlvaine Died on 9/11. This Is the Shape Grief Took
Jennifer Senior on how his parents, brother, intended fiancee have coped
- "'The only thing I do is 9/11 stuff,' Bob Sr. says. 'My whole basis of everything revolves around the day.'" That's understandable. Bob McIlvaine Sr. lost his 26-year-old son that day, and in a lengthy piece for the
, Jennifer Senior presents a...
Secret 9/11 Files
May Be Coming Out
Aug 10, 2021 8:43 AM CDT
Secret 9/11 Files May Be Coming Out
Victims' families, looking for links to the Saudi government, are piling on pressure
- Under pressure, the Biden administration plans to review classified information on the 9/11 attacks to determine what information might now, on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the attacks, be safely released to the public. This comes days after more than 1,600 people affected by the attacks—survivors,...
9/11 Trial Pushed to August.
But Even That's Unlikely
Sep 30, 2020 2:09 PM CDT
9/11 Trial Pushed to August. But Even That's Unlikely
Pandemic has brought proceedings to a standstill
- The trial of five alleged 9/11 plotters is unlikely to begin anytime before the 20th anniversary of the terrorist atrocity. Col. Stephen Keane, the judge who began overseeing the case against the five men earlier this month, has canceled all hearings for the rest of the year, citing pandemic travel...
A 9/11 Tradition Endures,
Thanks to Determined Florist
Sep 11, 2020 1:25 PM CDT
A 9/11 Tradition Endures, Thanks to Determined Florist
His stores are closed, but 'Mikey Flowers' still donates birthday roses for victims at memorial
- After the pandemic hit, New York City florist Michael Collarone was forced to close all three of his retail stores and lay off every one of his employees. "We're lucky if we make enough money to keep our electricity on," the merchant known as "Mikey Flowers"...
This 9/11 Ad Aired Only Once
Sep 11, 2020 10:58 AM CDT
This 9/11 Ad Aired Only Once
Moving Budweiser commercial was broadcast during the 2002 Super Bowl and never since
- Some brands should completely stay away from trying to commemorate 9/11, but others have figured out how to appropriately, and movingly, mark that indelible moment. In Budweiser's case, it came up with what's been called "the best 9/11 commercial ever," and it's only officially aired...
Here's Why There Are
No Biden Ads on
Sep 11, 2020 1:32 AM CDT
Here's Why There Are No Biden Ads on TV Today
Presidential contender pulls them on 9/11 anniversary
- It's the 19th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks, and Democratic presidential contender Joe Biden is marking the occasion by pulling all his television ads for the day. Politico says presidential contenders have long gone dark on the 9/11 anniversary, hitting a bit of a pause on their...
By One Measure, Virus
Is Now Worse Than 9/11
Mar 31, 2020 12:09 PM CDT
By One Measure, Virus Is Now Worse Than 9/11
Death toll in US now exceeds that of the initial 2001 attacks
- The coronavirus tally of American deaths kept by Johns Hopkins University rose above 3,000 Tuesday morning, exceeding the toll from the 9/11 attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, notes the
. (Thousands more have since died from 9/11-related illnesses.) It was just a matter of the time for...
Man Who Found Brother's
Body in 9/11 Rubble Has Died
Feb 25, 2020 2:34 PM CST
Man Who Found Brother's Body in 9/11 Rubble Has Died
Daniel Foley was with the NYFD for 21 years
- It's a statement that brings chills even 18 years after the fact: "On the 11th day, Danny miraculously found his brother Tommy in the rubble at the World Trade Center." That's what an official with Rescue Co. 3 in the Bronx had to say of Daniel...
She Gave Birth on 9/11. Then,
the Doctor's 'Oh, My Goodness'
Sep 13, 2019 11:44 AM CDT
She Gave Birth on 9/11. Then, the Doctor's 'Oh, My Goodness'
Newborn Christina Malone-Brown was born at 9:11pm weighing 9 pounds, 11 ounces
- A Mississippi couple welcomed a 9-pound, 11-ounce baby into the world on 9/11, at 9:11pm, the AP reports. The
reports Christina Malone-Brown was born by cesarean section at a hospital in Germantown, Tenn. Christina's father, Justin Brown, says bystanders joked his family should play the lottery....
Trump Speaks of Something
More Powerful Than Nukes
Sep 11, 2019 12:13 PM CDT
Trump Speaks of Something More Powerful Than Nukes
President marks 9/11 anniversary at the Pentagon
- Speaking at the Pentagon to mark the 18th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, President Trump promised that if "they come back to our country, we will go wherever they are and use power the likes of which the United States has never used before." He added, per the...
18 Years Later, 'Life
Won't Let Us Forget'
Sep 11, 2019 6:03 AM CDT
18 Years Later, 'Life Won't Let Us Forget'
Commemorations for 9/11 are being held Wednesday in NYC, DC, and Pennsylvania
- Americans are commemorating 9/11 with mournful ceremonies, volunteering, appeals to "never forget," and rising attention to the terror attacks' extended toll on responders. A crowd of victims' relatives is expected at Ground Zero on Wednesday, while President Trump is scheduled to join an observance at the Pentagon, per...
Here's What Stewart
Has to Say Now That
9/11 Victims Fund Bill
Has Finally Passed
Jul 23, 2019 6:33 PM CDT
Here's What Stewart Has to Say Now That 9/11 Victims Fund Bill Has Finally Passed
President Trump is expected to sign the bill
- The Senate gave final legislative approval Tuesday to a bill ensuring that a victims' compensation fund related to the Sept. 11 attacks never runs out of money. The 97-2 vote sends the bill to President Donald Trump, who is expected to sign it, the AP reports. The vote came after...
Ex-Cop Who Testified With
Jon Stewart on 9/11 Fund Dies
Jun 29, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Ex-Cop Who Testified With Jon Stewart on 9/11 Fund Dies
Former NYPD detective Luis Alvarez, 53, died of complications of colorectal cancer
- When Jon Stewart lambasted lawmakers at a hearing earlier this month, Luis Alvarez was one of the first responders at his side, making his own impassioned plea to the House Judiciary subcommittee to stop dragging its feet on re-funding the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund. Now, sad news from Long...
Men Share Garage
Sale Find: 'It's Right
Jun 20, 2019 12:50 PM CDT
Men Share Garage Sale Find: 'It's Right for Humanity'
Jason Scott discovered 2.4K unseen photos from Ground Zero in aftermath of 9/11 attacks
- Jason Scott has a new Flickr album , and what's contained therein is a jaw-dropping find he made at a garage sale: 2,400 never-before-seen photos of Ground Zero in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks. Based on the various perspectives taken from up high and on ground level, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Wolf Researchers: 'We Just Open-Mouthed Stared at Each Other'
Suit Seeks $5M Damages Over Mac-and-Cheese Prep Time
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.