Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Yellowstone National Park
Stories 1 - 20 |
of Yellowstone Wolves Killed
Jan 7, 2022 2:00 AM CST
'Extraordinary Number' of Yellowstone Wolves Killed
20 roamed from the park in recent months and were shot
- Twenty of Yellowstone National Park's renowned gray wolves roamed from the park and were shot by hunters in recent months—the most killed by hunting in a single season since the predators were reintroduced to the region more than 25 years ago, according to park officials. Fifteen wolves were...
Fenn Treasure Hunter
Must Pay for His Rescue
Nov 10, 2021 10:45 AM CST
Fenn Treasure Hunter Must Pay for His Rescue
Appeals court pans Mark Lantis' ill-advised 2018 hunt in Yellowstone
- A man who went in search of Forrest Fenn's famous treasure not only failed to find it but will now have to pay nearly $3,000—the cost of his airlift out of Yellowstone National Park. Wyoming's Mark Lantis—one of thousands enthralled by Fenn's hidden chest,...
Woman Charged by Grizzly
in Yellowstone Gets Jail
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 10, 2021 12:31 PM CDT
Woman Charged by Grizzly in Yellowstone Gets Jail
Samantha Dehring could have been mauled, prosecutor says
An Illinois tourist spotted taking photos of a grizzly bear and her cubs pleaded guilty to willfully being within 100 yards of wildlife and will spend four days in jail. She's also barred from Yellowstone National Park for a year. Samantha Dehring told the court she regrets putting...
Woman Rushes After Dog
Into Yellowstone Hot Spring
Oct 6, 2021 9:26 AM CDT
Woman Rushes After Dog Into Yellowstone Hot Spring
She suffered serious burns in incident that happened Monday at the national park
- Trying to save your dog from a bad situation is noble—but, in the case of one 20-year-old woman, foolish. CNN reports the Washington state woman suffered significant thermal burns after attempting to rescue her dog from a hot spring at Yellowstone National Park on Monday. The woman and her...
Former Navy SEAL Is
Missing in Yellowstone
Sep 22, 2021 6:17 PM CDT
Former Navy SEAL Is Missing in Yellowstone
Conservationist Kim Crumbo's half brother was found dead Monday
- Kim Crumbo is not short on survival skills—the 74-year-old Utah resident is a former Navy SEAL who spent two decades working as a National Park Service ranger after leaving the military—but he has been missing in Yellowstone National Park for days, and family members are very worried. The...
Wyoming Says It's Time to
Lift Grizzly Bear Protections
Sep 17, 2021 8:28 AM CDT
Wyoming Says It's Time to Lift Grizzly Bear Protections
State is applying to have species delisted in Yellowstone region
- Wyoming is taking another shot at bringing back the grizzly bear hunt. Gov. Mark Gordon, calling it a "wonderful day of celebration, not only for the grizzly bear but for Wyoming," announced Thursday that the state will seek the lifting of federal protections for the bears in the...
Jail Is 'Better Than
a Burn Unit'
Aug 27, 2021 9:22 AM CDT
Prosecutor in Yellowstone Case: Jail Is 'Better Than a Burn Unit'
Tourist sentenced to 7 days for walking on thermal feature
- Leaving the boardwalk in Yellowstone National Park's thermal areas can get you killed—or, if you survive, fined and jailed. A 26-year-old Connecticut woman who walked directly on thermal features during a visit to the Wyoming park last month has been sentenced to a week in jail, plus $2,...
Grizzly Bear Found Decapitated,
Declawed in Yellowstone River
Jul 4, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Grizzly Bear Found Decapitated, Declawed in Yellowstone River
The bears are protected and it's illegal to possess any part of them
- Grizzly bear 394 had a long life. He was 25 when he washed up on the banks of the Yellowstone River in Montana, and thin from age at almost 600 pounds. He was tagged in Wyoming and relocated to Yellowstone National Park where he lived an uneventful life, the
Hiker in Yellowstone
Has a Bison 'Encounter'
Jun 22, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Hiker in Yellowstone Has a Bison 'Encounter'
30-year-old woman flown to Idaho hospital after being injured by bison
- A 30-year-old Michigan woman on a weekend hike in Yellowstone National Park ended up in the hospital after an unexpected "encounter." Park spokeswoman Linda Veress says in an email to
Jackson Hole News
that the Ann Arbor resident was hiking on Sunday afternoon with a partner along the...
Fight Emerges Over Grizzly
Living Near Wyoming Road
Jun 21, 2021 11:58 AM CDT
Fight Emerges Over Grizzly Living Near Wyoming Road
USFWS is trying to scare it and its cubs off, and the plan has many critics
- The US Fish and Wildlife Service is asking people to avoid the Togwotee Pass area in Wyoming for the remainder of the month so that it can "conduct targeted hazing operations on grizzly bear 863."
reports the bear, known by locals as "Felicia," and...
He Teed Off in Yellowstone,
Park Service Isn't Laughing
Jun 7, 2021 7:56 AM CDT
He Teed Off in Yellowstone, Park Service Isn't Laughing
Comedian Jake Adams faces jail time, fines over stunt
- A comedian named Jake Adams recently finished an epic road trip in which he whacked a golf ball in every state over the course of 30 days. The problem? In Wyoming, he hit a few shots in none other than Yellowstone National Park, and park officials are none too pleased....
Yellowstone Guide's Death
First by a Grizzly Since 2018
Apr 20, 2021 6:08 AM CDT
Yellowstone Guide's Death First by a Grizzly Since 2018
Charles "Carl" Mock reportedly suffered stroke days after mauling
- A Montana backcountry guide has died days after he was mauled by large grizzly bear near Yellowstone National Park, becoming the first person killed by a grizzly in the region since 2018. Charles "Carl" Mock of the park gateway community of West Yellowstone was fishing alone along the Madison...
This Is How to Right the Wrongs
Done to Native Americans
Apr 18, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
This Is How to Right the Wrongs Done to Native Americans
David Treuer makes the case that our National Parks should be given to them
- David Treuer's piece for the
is peppered with so many bold lines it's hard to whittle down which to share. But this is a strong one: "The American West began with war but concluded with parks." In his lengthy piece, Treuer, himself a Native American...
Yellowstone Region's Oldest
Grizzly Was Euthanized
Jan 24, 2021 3:10 PM CST
Yellowstone Region's Oldest Grizzly Was Euthanized
Bear 168 preyed on calves
- A 34-year-old grizzly bear that was captured in Wyoming last summer and later euthanized has been confirmed as the oldest on record in the Yellowstone region, the AP reports. “He was born in 1986,” Dan Thompson, a Wyoming Game and Fish biologist tells the
Jackson Hole News &
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in
National Park Isn't Ending Well
Jan 6, 2021 7:24 AM CST
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in National Park Isn't Ending Well
Rodrick Dow Craythorn pleads guilty to digging up Yellowstone cemetery for Forrest Fenn prize
- A man accused of digging up a Yellowstone National Park cemetery in his search for a famous buried treasure has admitted to his crimes. The
New York Times
reports that, nearly four months after he was indicted by a federal grand jury, 52-year-old Rodrick Dow Craythorn of Utah entered a...
Yellowstone Ranger Busts Man
Cooking Chickens in Hot Spring
Nov 7, 2020 7:30 AM CST
Yellowstone Ranger Busts Man Cooking Chickens in Hot Spring
Park officials say the Idaho visitor has been banned for 2 years
- Although the pandemic limited many activities over the summer, at least people could partake in quiet outdoor activities, like having small, socially distanced barbecues. An Idaho man, however, has been barred from Yellowstone National Park after he picked the wrong place for his cookout. A park spokeswoman tells East Idaho...
Feds: Man Spent 8 Months in
Cemetery Digging for Treasure
Oct 23, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
Feds: Man Spent 8 Months in Cemetery Digging for Treasure
Now Rodrick Dow Craythorn has been indicted after his alleged search for Forrest Fenn booty
- We still don't know who found Forrest Fenn's famous treasure in Wyoming's Rocky Mountains, but it apparently wasn't Rodrick Dow Craythorn. What Craythorn got instead, per NBC News : a federal grand jury indictment for allegedly digging in a Yellowstone National Park cemetery searching for the long-elusive...
Event 6 Years
in the Making
Aug 31, 2020 4:00 AM CDT
At Yellowstone, a 'Spectacular' Event 6 Years in the Making
The Giantess geyser erupts
- One of the biggest geysers in Yellowstone National Park erupted Tuesday for the first time in more than six and a half years, and the
calls it "spectacular" and "worth the wait." The Giantess geyser typically erupts between two and six times a year, with a...
As Bison Charged,
Jul 22, 2020 8:41 AM CDT
As Bison Charged, Woman Tripped
Montana woman escapes 'without a scratch' after playing dead
- A woman narrowly escaped a charging bison at Yellowstone National Park, apparently by playing dead. A video viewed more than 1.7 million times since it was shared on YouTube on Friday shows a man and woman running from a pair of charging bison. One bison appears to slow, but...
'Multiple Goring Wounds' After
Woman Gets Too Close to Bison
Jun 30, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
'Multiple Goring Wounds' After Woman Gets Too Close to Bison
California woman got within 10 feet of bison at Yellowstone
- If she wanted to get up close and personal, then success: A 72-year-old California woman was trying to snap a photo of a bison at Yellowstone National Park on Thursday when she was gored. The unidentified woman "sustained multiple goring wounds" before being flown to an Idaho hospital, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Report Incriminates Ex-Pope on Sex Abuse Cases
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.