Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Serena Asked for
Was Told She Was
Apr 8, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Serena Asked for Lifesaving Help, Was Told She Was Talking 'Crazy'
Tennis star describes advocating for herself in 'Elle'
- Serena Williams has previously opened up about almost dying following the 2017 birth of her daughter, but never before like this. The tennis star describes the horror of four surgeries in a week in a nearly 2,500-word essay in the April edition of
magazine. An emergency C-section , triggered...
Director Is Sorry for
About Williams Sisters
Mar 14, 2022 3:19 PM CDT
Director Is Sorry for 'Thoughtless' Remark About Williams Sisters
'You don’t play against the guys, like I have to,' Jane Campion said
- Director Jane Campion has apologized for what she admits was a "thoughtless" comment about Serena and Venus Williams at the Critics Choice Awards Sunday. Campion, who won the Best Director award for
The Power of the Dog
, was slammed as "arrogant" after she praised her fellow nominees, all...
Serena Williams on
Flub: 'Even I Am Overlooked'
Mar 3, 2022 8:14 AM CST
Serena Williams on
Photo Flub: 'Even I Am Overlooked'
She calls out paper for using a photo of sister Venus in story about her own venture fund
- Serena Williams is one of the most famous and recognizable athletes in the world, with no shortage of images of her that the media can use to complement stories profiling her. The tennis great is now taking one of those publications to task, after it used a photo not of...
Serena Williams: 'We Must
Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
Nov 19, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Serena Williams: 'We Must Not Stay Silent' on Peng Shuai
WTA chairman weighs pulling organization out of China
- US tennis legend Serena Williams has joined the chorus of calls demanding to know #WhereIsPengShuai. "This must be investigated and we must not stay silent," Williams tweeted Thursday, adding she was "devastated and shocked" by the situation with the Chinese tennis player. "I hope she is...
Miss Play but
Top Money List
Aug 30, 2021 7:55 PM CDT
Osaka, Serena Miss Play but Top Money List
Endorsements help put tennis stars well ahead of other female athletes in income
- Young tennis players on their way up might want to also keep their eye on the endorsements. Naomi Osaka and Serena Williams haven't won many tournaments lately—nine between them since February—partly because they've skipped some or missed them because of injuries. But they still top the...
Jun 29, 2021 3:13 PM CDT
Serena Williams Slips, Quits Wimbledon
Champion was seeking her 24th Grand Slam title
- A tearful Serena Williams retired from her opening Wimbledon match Tuesday, limping off Center Court after slipping on the grass while planting her leg for a forehand return. She was in the fifth game of the first set against Aliaksandra Sasnovich when she was injured. Williams took a medical timeout...
Jun 27, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Serena Williams Won't Play in Tokyo
Tennis star doesn't elaborate on reasons but had expressed concern about leaving her daughter behind
- Serena Williams, who's already won four gold medals, said Sunday she's not going to Tokyo for the Summer Olympics. "I'm actually not on the Olympic list, not that I'm aware of," she said to reporters Sunday at Wimbledon in London. "If so, then...
Serena Seeks Trio of
Records at US Open
Sep 1, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Serena Seeks Trio of Records at US Open
But many top-ranked seeds are sitting out
- For Serena Williams, the chase has been long. She's been one Grand Slam win behind Margaret Court's all-time record for 44 months, ever since winning the 2017 Australian Open while pregnant. In four Slam finals since—two at Wimbledon, two in New York—she's finished runner-up. But...
Jul 7, 2020 1:08 PM CDT
Usain Bolt's Daughter Has Perfect Middle Name
- We already knew Usain Bolt was pretty good at running sprints . Now we know he's skilled at naming babies, too: On Tuesday, Bolt revealed that his new daughter is named Olympia Lightning Bolt, reports TMZ . The 33-year-old and his girlfriend, Kasi Bennett, had their first child in May. “...
There's a New
May 24, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
There's a New Highest-Paid Female Athlete
22-year-old tennis star Naomi Osaka sets a yearly income record: $37.4M
- Naomi Osaka has set a record that transcends tennis: The Japanese-born star collected $37.4 million in endorsements and prize money in the past year. That's more than any female athlete has ever made in 12 months, Reuters reports. Maria Sharapova had held the record until now, set in...
First Major Title
Feb 1, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Comeback Gives Sofia Kenin First Major Title
American defeats Garbine Muguruza after losing the first set
- Sofia Kenin, a 21-year-old American, dropped the first set Saturday, then stormed back by winning a pair of 6-2 sets for the Australian Open title. She defeated Garbiñe Muguruza of Spain. This is her first Grand Slam victory, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. She'd beaten Coco Gauff and...
Will & Grace
React to Death of 'Rosario'
Dec 2, 2019 6:14 AM CST
Will & Grace
Stars React to Death of 'Rosario'
Actress Shelley Morrison is dead at 83
- Her character was supposed to appear in one show and be gone. But actress Shelley Morrison made such an impact on viewers with her portrayal of Rosario Salazar on
Will & Grace
that she ended up appearing in 68 episodes. Morrison, who played the maid of Megan Mullally's character...
A Ball Boy Sold Serena's Racket
for $500. Now He Regrets It
Nov 18, 2019 9:45 AM CST
A Ball Boy Sold Serena's Racket for $500. Now He Regrets It
Racket busted by Williams in 2018 US Open could fetch five figures in auction
- Broken sports equipment usually turns up in the garbage, but one busted tennis racket up for auction starting Monday could end up selling for five figures. The racket that Serena Williams threw down onto the court in September 2018 during a US Open final match against Naomi Osaka is up...
Canadian Teen Keeps
Serena From a Milestone
Sep 7, 2019 5:19 PM CDT
Canadian Teen Keeps Serena From a Milestone
Bianca Andreescu wins US Open, depriving Williams of record-tying major win
- Canadian teenager Bianca Andreescu built a big lead and then held on to upset Serena Williams 6-3, 7-5 in the US Open final for her first Grand Slam title. Andreescu's victory Saturday prevented Williams from claiming what would have been her record-tying 24th major singles championship, per the AP...
Serena Gets Rocked
in Wimbledon Final
Jul 13, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Serena Gets Rocked in Wimbledon Final
Romania's Simona Halep wins in just 56 minutes
- Clutching her trophy 20 minutes after becoming Wimbledon's champion, Simona Halep checked out the board inside Centre Court that lists tournament winners. Below all of the mentions of Serena Williams, her opponent in Saturday's final, there already was inscribed: "Miss S. Halep." Halep was not concerned...
Meghan Markle Called 'Diva'
After Wimbledon Request
Jul 10, 2019 6:42 AM CDT
Meghan Markle Called 'Diva' After Wimbledon Request
Duchess of Sussex is once more in unwanted spotlight with pleas for privacy
- First Meghan Markle and Prince Harry irked taxpayers with their home redo . Then they set off an "almighty storm" with an ultra-private christening for baby Archie. Now Markle is being accused of harboring a "secretive, high-maintenance attitude," and making "diva-ish demands" after apparently trying to get...
Draw Claims of 'Privilege'
Jul 9, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Wimbledon Fines Draw Claims of 'Privilege'
Fabio Fognini given slap on the wrist for saying club should be bombed
- "I wish a bomb would explode on this club. A bomb should explode here," Italian tennis star Fabio Fognini announced during his third-round loss at Wimbledon on Saturday, per Yahoo . The 10th-ranked player, apparently upset about the condition of the grass court, was subsequently fined nearly $3,000—...
Is Hit by 2
Jun 1, 2019 3:30 PM CDT
French Open Is Hit by 2 Big Shocks
Serena Williams and No. 1 seed Naomi Osaka are out
- Maybe it was the daunting deficit Serena Williams faced in the French Open's third round. Maybe it was the way her 20-year-old American opponent, Sofia Kenin, was questioning line calls. Either way, as Williams attempted to start a comeback Saturday with a three-ace game, she followed those big serves...
Comes Under Fire
Nov 13, 2018 2:52 PM CST
Cover Comes Under Fire
People are not happy about the quote marks around "woman"
- Serena Williams is
's Woman of the Year. Er, wait, she's the magazine's "Woman" of the Year? The magazine included quotation marks around the word "woman" (which was above the crossed-out word "men") on its cover featuring the tennis star, and people are...
But for a
Sep 30, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Serena Sings Topless— But for a Cause
The tennis star aims to raise breast cancer awareness
- Last month, Serena Williams was mad as hell . Now she's adding a sweet lilt to The Divinyls' classic "I Touch Myself" in a video she produced to increase breast cancer awareness, the
reports. "Yes, this put me out of my comfort zone, but I wanted to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Gunmaker Is a No-Show at NRA Convention
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
After a Quirky Name Change, Now They're Stuck With It
For Establishment Democrats, a Surprise Loss in Oregon
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.