Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Big Wild Card on New
Birth Control Pill: The Cost
Jul 13, 2023 2:05 PM CDT
Big Wild Card on New Birth Control Pill: The Cost
First over-the-counter oral contraceptive, Opill, will be sold in stores early next year
- It's a milestone day in terms of reproductive health care: The FDA cleared the way for the first over-the-counter birth control pill to be sold. Which means at some point in early 2024, anyone will be able to walk into a store and buy the daily oral contraceptive—called...
FDA Panel Makes Big Move
on OTC Birth Control Pill
May 11, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
FDA Panel Makes Big Move on OTC Birth Control Pill
If FDA gives full approval, it could be sold later this year
- Federal health advisers said Wednesday that a decades-old birth control pill should be sold without a prescription, paving the way for a likely US approval of the first over-the-counter contraceptive medication, the AP reports. The panel of FDA advisers voted unanimously in favor of drugmaker Perrigo's request to sell...
I Want My IUD Out,
but No One Will Do It
Nov 24, 2022 4:25 PM CST
I Want My IUD Out, but No One Will Do It
Fran Hoepfner writes of doctors' surprising reluctance to remove birth control device
- When Fran Hoepfner had an intrauterine device, or IUD, inserted a few years back, she didn't do so to prevent pregnancy. Rather, she hoped it would mitigate her "awful" menstrual cycles, one of the side perks many find when using this form of birth control. The procedure wasn'...
Idaho's Abortion Ban
Has Ripple Effect
on Birth Control
Sep 27, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Idaho's Abortion Ban Has Ripple Effect on Birth Control
University of Idaho might have to stop providing contraception
- Idaho's near-total abortion ban could have consequences beyond abortion: In new guidance regarding the ban issued Friday, the University of Idaho's general counsel said the school should no longer make birth control available to students. The law's language is "unclear and untested," the message says,...
Refuses to Sell Condoms
Jul 22, 2022 9:21 AM CDT
Walgreens Worker Refuses to Sell Condoms
Minnesota man says his wife was told it was because of employee's faith
- A Minnesota man says his wife had a strange—and embarrassing—experience at a Walgreens earlier this month when she tried to buy condoms because she had left her birth control pills at home. Nathan Pentz tweeted that when his wife, Jess, was at the checkout of the Hayward store,...
For Birth Control Access in the
US, a 'Groundbreaking Moment'
Jul 11, 2022 8:57 AM CDT
For Birth Control Access in the US, a 'Groundbreaking Moment'
HRA Pharma submits application to FDA for nation's first over-the-counter birth control pill
- Ever since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last month, effectively banning abortion in states that choose to, reproductive rights advocates have worried that contraception might be the next target of conservative activists and lawmakers. One company is now trying to dismantle at least some of the barriers to...
Here, Women Under 25
Will Get Birth Control for Free
Sep 9, 2021 1:55 PM CDT
Here, Women Under 25 Will Get Birth Control for Free
French health minister says it's 'unbearable that women cannot protect themselves'
- Women under 25 in France will soon get birth control—including the pill, IUDs, contraceptive patches, and other methods—for free. President Emmanuel Macron's government said Thursday that it would expand an existing program offering free contraception to women under 18 beginning next year as affordability is proving an...
Now Facing Calls
to Resign From
Aug 26, 2021 8:43 AM CDT
Mayim Bialik Now Facing Calls to Resign From
Actor, podcaster under fire for past comments on parenting, vaccines
- Executive producer Mike Richards resigned as permanent host of
last week, after only a day of filming, over newly resurfaced comments about women and Jews, leaving Mayim Bialik, selected as permanent host for prime-time specials, in the role of interim host. But as EJ Dickson writes at
Supreme Court Deals Big Blow
to One ObamaCare Mandate
Jul 8, 2020 9:55 AM CDT
Supreme Court Deals Big Blow to One ObamaCare Mandate
In 7-2 ruling, exemptions expanded to requirement that free birth control be on employer health plans
- Obtaining birth control through one's health plan at work may now be more difficult after a Supreme Court ruling Wednesday that expanded exemptions to an ObamaCare contraceptive mandate, NBC News and CNN report. In a 7-2 decision penned by Justice Clarence Thomas, the high court cleared the way for...
In China, a 'Slow, Painful,
Jun 29, 2020 9:01 AM CDT
In China, a 'Slow, Painful, Creeping Genocide'
AP report: Country is systematically forcing birth control on Uighurs to cut down Muslim population
- The Chinese government is taking draconian measures to slash birth rates among Uighurs and other minorities as part of a sweeping campaign to curb its Muslim population, even as it encourages some of the country's Han majority to have more children. While individual women have spoken out before about...
Birth Control Pills Recalled Due
to Critical Packaging Error
Mar 6, 2019 12:17 PM CST
Birth Control Pills Recalled Due to Critical Packaging Error
Apotex mistake could lead women to miss pills, or to take placebos instead of active tablets
- There's nothing wrong with the tablets themselves, but a nationwide recall of birth control pills has been announced by the Food and Drug Administration due to a packaging goof that could cause women to miss pills or take placebos, possibly leading to pregnancy,
reports. The FDA alert notes...
FDA Gives OK to
Aug 11, 2018 6:30 AM CDT
FDA Gives OK to Market Pregnancy- Prevention App
Natural Cycles says its technology is 93% effective, but there has been some controversy
- "There's an app for that" is making further inroads in the contraceptives arena.
reports the FDA has approved marketing for the Natural Cycles app, which claims it can help prevent pregnancy by telling a woman what days are best for avoiding sex (marked "red" days)...
Birth Control Packaging Mix-Up
Could Lead to Pregnancy
Jun 3, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Birth Control Packaging Mix-Up Could Lead to Pregnancy
Allergan is recalling 170,000 sample packs of its Taytulla
- Allergan is voluntarily recalling packs of its birth control pills in the US because of a packaging error with placebos, increasing the possibility of unintended pregnancy. The company says four placebo pills were placed out of order in the Taytulla packs. Per the AP, Allergan says the first four days...
Is One Step
Mar 20, 2018 4:44 PM CDT
Male Birth Control Pill Is One Step Closer
Trial shows pill is safe with minor side effects, including weight gain
- After years of intrigue , researchers are celebrating "a major step forward" for the male birth control pill. A month-long clinical trial shows a once-daily male pill is safe and effective at suppressing the hormones needed for sperm production, and has no negative effect on sex drive, according to researchers...
The Pill, IUDs
Raise Risk of
Dec 7, 2017 7:44 AM CST
The Pill, IUDs Raise Risk of Breast Cancer
Especially after prolonged use, say Danish researchers
- For years, birth control pills have been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer, though newer drugs containing smaller doses of estrogen and progestin were assumed to be safer. A new study suggests they aren't. Researchers in Denmark reviewed public health records for 1.8 million women, using...
2 States Sue Over Trump
Decision on Birth Control
Oct 7, 2017 11:14 AM CDT
2 States Sue Over Trump Decision on Birth Control
Massachusetts, California take action
- Two attorneys general filed lawsuits Friday over the Trump administration's decision to allow businesses to refuse to cover employees' birth control in their insurance plans. The move rolled back a mandate of the Affordable Care Act and allows companies to claim moral or religious objections to providing birth control...
Trump Ditches Obama Rule
on Birth Control Coverage
Oct 6, 2017 12:04 PM CDT
Trump Ditches Obama Rule on Birth Control Coverage
More employers will be allowed to claim religious, moral objections
- President Trump is allowing more employers to opt out of providing no-cost birth control to women by claiming religious or moral objections, issuing new rules Friday that take another step in rolling back the Obama health care law, the AP reports. The new policy is a long-expected revision to federal...
Trump Birth Control Decision
Could Affect Millions
Oct 6, 2017 5:05 AM CDT
Trump Birth Control Decision Could Affect Millions
He's planning to kill ObamaCare's birth control mandate
- The "birth control mandate" that has been spawning lawsuits since the early days of ObamaCare could be history as soon as Friday. President Trump, in a move that could affect millions of women, is planning to get rid of the requirement for employers to cover birth control in their...
Actor Says He Tossed Wife's
Birth Control to Start a Family
Sep 22, 2017 7:46 PM CDT
Actor Says He Tossed Wife's Birth Control to Start a Family
'Ian Somerhalder is [expletive] disgusting'
- Cute story from a happily married couple or sign of potential abuse? You be the judge. BuzzFeed reports the internet has some thoughts on a story recently shared by actors Ian Somerhalder and Nikki Reed on a podcast called
Dr. Berlin's Informed Pregnancy
. On the podcast, Somerhalder admits that...
Get a Vasectomy,
See Jail Time Reduced
Jul 21, 2017 11:22 AM CDT
Judge's Offer: Get a Vasectomy, See Jail Time Reduced
It's happening in White County, Tennessee
- The ACLU calls it "unconstitutional." The judge calls it a way to give inmates a "chance." It's a novel program made available since May 15 to those incarcerated in White County, Tenn., that shaves 30 days off inmates' jail time if they submit to a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.