Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news about driving under the influence and drunk driving stories on Newser.com
Stories 21 - 40 |
On Yet Another
for Him, a Fatality
Dec 5, 2019 12:50 PM CST
On Yet Another Drunk-Driving Charge for Him, a Fatality
Robert Lee Ellis' wife is killed in accident
- Robert Lee Ellis already had 36 driving suspensions and at least a dozen operating under the influence charges when, while still under an active driving suspension, he allegedly crashed his car while drunk—killing his wife. Dawn Ellis, 51, was a passenger in the 53-year-old's Ohio man's car...
Country Star Busted for
Alleged Drunk Driving
Nov 21, 2019 1:40 PM CST
Country Star Busted for Alleged Drunk Driving
Sam Hunt charged with DUI in East Nashville
- Last month, Sam Hunt was performing a Reba McEntire hit at CMT's Artists of the Year awards show. This month, the country music star known for such songs as "Body Like a Back Road" is charged with a DUI,
reports. Hunt, 34, was allegedly driving his truck...
Family of 3
Nov 5, 2019 7:27 AM CST
Trick-or-Treat Stroll Turns Deadly for Family of 3
Southern California community mourns tragic deaths of mom, dad, and 3-year-old in alleged DUI
- A Halloween accident has left a family of three dead and a 20-year-old California man accused of driving drunk and killing them. CBS Los Angeles reports that Joseph Awaida, 30, his 32-year-old wife, Raihan Dakhil, and their 3-year-old son, Omar, were walking home from an aunt's house while trick-or-treating...
5th-Grader Called 911 on Her.
This Video Offers a Hint Why
Sep 30, 2019 7:34 AM CDT
5th-Grader Called 911 on Her. This Video Offers a Hint Why
Catherine Maccarone has resigned, is charged with driving under the influence, endangerment
- A school bus driver in Washington state has left her job after an alleged DUI incident earlier this month, and now video has also been released. NBC News reports that 48-year-old Catherine Maccarone resigned last week after a fifth grader who'd ridden on her bus called 911 on Sept....
Woman Who Livestreamed
Fatal Crash Is Out on Parole
Sep 30, 2019 12:25 AM CDT
Woman Who Livestreamed Fatal Crash Is Out on Parole
Obdulia Sanchez served 26 months in prison
- A California woman convicted of driving drunk while livestreaming the crash that killed her younger sister has been released on parole after serving 26 months in prison, reports the AP . Obdulia Sanchez was convicted of gross vehicular manslaughter, DUI, and child endangerment. She was sentenced to six years and four...
911 Call From
Sep 22, 2019 9:15 AM CDT
Bus Driver Charged After 911 Call From 5th-Grader
'There's still kids on there,' student tells dispatcher
- It's one thing when a child calls 911 to report this of an adult: "She's like wobbling, and then her eyes—you can tell she was drunk." It's another when that child is a fifth-grader and the adult in question is driving his school bus....
Cops: Girl Filmed Mom Driving
Drunk. Mom Calls Girl 'Heroic'
Sep 11, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
Cops: Girl Filmed Mom Driving Drunk. Mom Calls Girl 'Heroic'
Stephanie Davis, 31, was arrested Saturday in Glendale, Arizona
- An Arizona mom who allegedly drove home from the movies drunk with three kids in the car didn't just have the police to contend with. The
reports Stephanie Davis, 31, was arrested shortly after 4pm on Saturday after cops who arrived on the scene in Glendale say...
Big Name in Racing Charged
With Drunk Driving
May 20, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
Big Name in Racing Charged With Drunk Driving
Al Unser Jr. won Indy 500 twice, but he has long battled alcohol problems
- A big name in auto racing is making headlines for the wrong reasons. Two-time Indy 500 winner Al Unser Jr. was charged with drunk driving early Monday, reports the
. Unser, 57, is now retired from racing, but he won the Indy 500 in 1992 and 1994 and competed...
Tiger Woods, Girlfriend
Sued After Bartender's Death
May 14, 2019 6:38 AM CDT
Tiger Woods, Girlfriend Sued After Bartender's Death
Man was allegedly over-served at Woods' bar
- Tiger Woods is being sued by the parents of an alcoholic bartender who died after crashing his car on his way home from a shift at the golfer's bar. The wrongful death lawsuit filed by the parents of 24-year-old Nicolas Immesberger says his blood-alcohol limit was more than three...
Pickup Flattens Trailer Home,
Killing Parents and Young Son
May 6, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
Pickup Flattens Trailer Home, Killing Parents and Young Son
A daughter was seriously injured in the California incident
- Three family members sleeping in their trailer home were killed and a girl was seriously injured after a suspected drunk driver plowed his pickup truck into the home, police said Monday. The California Highway Patrol said Ismael Huazo-Jardinez was driving "at a high rate of speed" when his truck...
'Trivago Guy' Charged With
Driving While Intoxicated
Apr 12, 2019 1:13 AM CDT
'Trivago Guy' Charged With Driving While Intoxicated
Cops say he was passed out behind wheel
- Travel website Trivago might be looking for a new pitchman: Actor Tim Williams, who appeared as the rumpled "Trivago Guy" in numerous ads for the company, was arrested in Houston this week and charged with driving while intoxicated. Police say the 52-year-old failed a field sobriety test after officers...
She Kept Hubby
From Driving Drunk.
Then, a Barrage of Bullets
Mar 8, 2019 7:19 AM CST
She Kept Hubby From Driving Drunk. Then, a Barrage of Bullets
Marlee Barnhill, 2 friends killed at 27th birthday party
- "Tonight I'm going to one of my really good friend's houses," Marlee Barnhill said in a Facebook Live video ahead of her 27th birthday party. "We're going to karaoke, and sit on her back porch and just hang out." The operator of the...
Cops: After Mom's Funeral,
His 6th DUI Proved Fatal
Feb 21, 2019 8:50 AM CST
Cops: After Mom's Funeral, His 6th DUI Proved Fatal
David Strowhouer denied driving, admitted to wanting cocaine: cops
- A Pennsylvania man faces a mandatory minimum sentence of seven years in prison under a new state law if convicted of what police say was his sixth DUI since 2010. But it's a situation where you think "seven years isn’t even enough, not by any stretch of...
Truck Plows Into Honolulu
Intersection, Killing Cyclist,
Jan 29, 2019 6:55 PM CST
Truck Plows Into Honolulu Intersection, Killing Cyclist, Pedestrians
4 others injured in suspected drunk driving crash
- Police say a suspected drunken driver in a pickup truck veered into a crowded Honolulu intersection, killing two pedestrians and a bicyclist and injuring four others. Authorities say alcohol and speed may have played a role in the crash Monday evening, the AP reports. Lt. James Slayter tells the
He Almost Killed Her.
Now They're Teaming Up
Jan 15, 2019 10:45 AM CST
He Almost Killed Her. Now They're Teaming Up
Tina Adams, impaired driver to speak together at Canadian schools
- Tina Adams will never realize her dream of becoming a police officer, and she might never be able to have children. Such are the consequences of the moment a drunk driver swerved off a road and struck the Quebec jogger in June 2015. Adams, now 24, suffered a traumatic brain...
One State Is About
to Get Nation's
Toughest DUI Limit
Dec 16, 2018 8:23 AM CST
One State Is About to Get Nation's Toughest DUI Limit
Utah is set to lower BAC limit to .05% from national standard of .08%
- In good news for ride-sharing services, cabs, and maybe your better judgment, Utah will be ringing in the New Year with the nation's stingiest limit for blood-alcohol content. The law, which goes into effect on Dec. 30 to thwart all those who thought they might get in one last...
Dec 4, 2018 5:33 AM CST
Sarah Hyland Tweet-Blasts Cousin's 'Murderer'
Trevor Canaday, 14, killed by alleged drunk driver in Nebraska
star Sarah Hyland is taking a break from Twitter as she mourns her teenage cousin, killed by an alleged drunk driver in Nebraska over the weekend. Trevor Canaday, 14, was traveling with his father to a show choir event in Omaha on Saturday when a driver ran a...
NJ Ruling Means
20K DWI Cases
Could Be Tossed
Nov 14, 2018 1:03 AM CST
NJ Ruling Means 20K DWI Cases Could Be Tossed
Officer allegedly failed to calibrate blood-testing machines
- A lot of drunk drivers in New Jersey could end up getting away with it because one police officer allegedly failed to do his job properly. The state's Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that some 20,667 people accused of drunk driving could have their cases tossed because of Sgt....
Cops: Driver in Girl Scouts
Crash Was 'Huffing'
Nov 5, 2018 1:01 PM CST
Cops: Driver in Girl Scouts Crash Was 'Huffing'
Colton Treu told police he was inhaling chemical vapors before crash that killed 4
- Police think they know why the driver of a pickup veered off the road Saturday morning and struck a group of Girl Scouts with fatal consequences : Authorities in Wisconsin's Chippewa County say Colton Treu, 21, admitted that he was huffing—or inhaling chemical vapors—shortly before the crash that...
Man Shares Photos of Wife,
Unborn Child Killed in Crash
Oct 19, 2018 8:32 AM CDT
Man Shares Photos of Wife, Unborn Child Killed in Crash
Zach Kincaid wants people to see his 'nightmare'
- "A drunk driver speeding down a two-lane highway at 85+ mph in the wrong lane around a blind corner destroyed my family," writes Zach Kincaid. If you want to know what that destruction looks like, Kincaid makes it plain to see. The father of four posted a series...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
Rittenhouse to Pay for Lawsuits With Shooter Video Game
Cops: Vince Carter's Wife, Kids Hid During Burglary
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.